PDA

View Full Version : NEW PN Li-Po NiMH NiCd Charger coming soon!

PNracing
2009.09.02, 07:21 PM
S6 Multi Balance Charger
Operating voltage DC 11~18 volts
Idling current approx. 100mA
Charge/discharge power max. 80/8W
NiCd/MH 1~15 cells
LiIo/LiPo/LiFe 1~6 series
Pb 2~20V
Charge current 0.1 to 5.0A
Discharge current 0.1 to 1.0A
No. of cycle 1 to 5 times
Battery data memory up to 5 data
Computer USB port
Temperature sensor port

Lithium battery voltage type LiIo:3.6V, LiPo:3.7V, LiFe:3.3V

NiCd Delta-peak voltage sensitivity 5 to 20mV

NiMH Delta-peak voltage sensitivity 5 to 20mV

Battery temperature cut-off 20 to 80C or OFF

Waste time between charge/discharge 1 to 60 min.

Trickle charge mode ON/OFF, up to 200mA

Integral timer limit for safety 10 to 720 min.or OFF

Maximum charging capacity limit for safety 10 to 9990mAh or OFF

Key beep and buzzer sound ON/OFF

Input power low alert 10 to 11V

High-power and high-performance circuit
The smart charger employs a circuit that has maximum output power of 50W. As a result, the smart charger can charge or discharge up to 15 cells of NiCd/NiMH and 6 series of Lithium batteries with maximum current of 5.0A.

Individual voltage balancer for Lithium batteries inside
Built into the smart charger is an individual-cell-voltage balancer. No external balancer is needed when charging Lithium batteries (LiIo/LiPo/LiFe) for balance charging.

Balance individual cells on discharge
The smart charger also can monitor and balance individual cells of the Lithium battery pack during the discharge process, as well as the charge process. If the voltage of any one cell varies abnormally, the process will be stopped with the error message.

Accept various types of Lithium battery
The smart charger can accept three types of Lithium batteries - LiIo, LiPo and LiFe. They have different characteristics by their chemistry, such as minimum, maximum, and charge termination voltages.

Lithium battery Fast and Storage mode
The smart charger offers additional Lithium programming. Fast charge reduces the charging time of the Lithium battery and the Storage mode controls the final voltage of the battery to be suit for long time storage.

Data store/load
5 data of different batteries programs can be stored and retrieved. These data files can be receptive at any time you need them without reprogramming.

Cyclic charging/discharging
The smart charger can perform 1 to 5 cycles of charge>discharge or discharge>charge for battery break in/refreshing and balancing.

PC based analysis using USB communication
For the advanced user, the smart charger INCLUDES a PC based program that can analyze the characteristic of the battery through the computers USB port. The software will graph voltage, current, capacity and temperature curves. It also shows the individual voltages of each cell in the Lithium battery pack.

Back-light LCD screen
Include LCD display

Robust outer aluminum case
High-quality aluminum case is durable and very efficient to cool out the internal heat

Advanced temperature sensor cable port (sensor cable included)
An optional temperature probe contacting the surface of the battery to monitor the battery temperature during charging can be used

This unit comes with cables shown as well as CD & Manual

http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20090828-152443-1.jpg
http://www.pnracing.us/new/news_image/20090828-152443-2.jpg

Retails Price US$59.99

lfisminiz
2009.09.02, 08:16 PM
Philip....finally;). Looks real good.

Davey G
2009.09.02, 08:49 PM
Looks great and the price is OUTSTANDING!

arch2b
2009.09.02, 09:05 PM
very interested :)

EMU
2009.09.02, 10:26 PM
Looks like a GREAT charger at an AMAZING price... The only negative thing that I see with the charger is that the discharge rate is a little low, but at this price point, that is easily overlooked. I think this will be seen in many pitboxes in the next few months... I love the USB interface, I feel that is a big selling point. But the low discharge rate, makes it harder to compare batteries. A 3A discharge would have been ideal.

PNracing
2009.09.03, 12:32 AM
I use this charger past couple time PNWC regional race, I run TRP 900 battery charging at 2.5AMP, Delta-peak voltage sensitivity 5mv, with PN charger tray, I can charge my TRP 900 every time over 850mah, and my power really good and good run time too.

EMU
2009.09.03, 12:38 AM
What voltage did the TRP cells peak at with this charger?

PNracing
2009.09.03, 12:47 AM

NiCd/MH 1~15 cells

Pb 2~20V

- Operating software
Every operating program in the unit is controlled with mutual links and communications to prevent every possible error, so it introduces the maximum safety, such as input voltage warning, reverse polarity protection and Lithium cell-count input error warning.

- Individual voltage balancer for Lithium batteries
S6 Charger has an individual cell voltage balancer inside. So it does not need any balancer separately when charging Lithium batteries (LiIo/LiPo/LiFe) for voltage balancing.

- Accept various types of Lithium battery
S6 Charger can accept three types of Lithium batteries - LiIo, LiPo and LiFe. They have different characteristics by their chemistry. You can select any one of them that you are going to process before the job. For their specifications, refer 'Warnings and safety notes' section.

- Lithium battery 'Fast' and 'Storage' mode
You can charge Lithium battery for special purposes. 'Fast' charge reduces the charging time of Lithium battery and 'Storage' mode controls the final voltage of the battery to be suit for long time storage.

- Maximum safety
Delta-peak sensitivity : The automatic charge termination program works on the principle of the Delta-peak voltage detection. (NiCd/NiMH)

Auto-charge current limit : When charging NiCd or NiMH at 'AUTO' current mode, you can set the upper limit of charge current to avoid from feeding high current to the battery. This is very useful when charging the low impedance and small capacity NiMH battery in 'AUTO' mode.

Capacity limit : The charging capacity always calculated by multiple of the charging current and time. If the charging capacity exceeds the limit the process will be terminated automatically when you set the maximum value.

- Data store/load
For users convenience it can store maximum 5 data of different batteries. You can establish the data contains program setting of the battery to charge or discharge continually. These data can be called out at any time you need and the process can be executed without program setting.

- Cyclic charging/discharging
Perform 1 to 5 cycles of charge>discharge or discharge>charge continually for battery refreshing and balancing.

- PC based analysis using USB communication
For technical expert, S6 Charger offers PC based program can analysis the characteristic of the battery by USB port. It shows a graph of voltage, current, capacity and temperature curves. It also shows the individual voltage of each cell in the Lithium battery pack.

- Robust outer aluminum case
High-quality aluminum case is durable and very efficient to cool out the internal heat

PNracing
2009.09.03, 12:48 AM
What voltage did the TRP cells peak at with this charger?

you mean delta peak voltage or after charge voltage?

B-main
2009.09.03, 01:25 AM
is it ac/dc or just dc

PNracing
2009.09.03, 01:31 AM
is it ac/dc or just dc

Just DC 11-18V input

EMU
2009.09.03, 01:40 AM
you mean delta peak voltage or after charge voltage?
Both, if you can provide the information :)

PNracing
2009.09.03, 01:42 AM
Both, if you can provide the information :)

I use delta peak 5mv, normally after charge my battery voltage around 5.8V

Old Crow
2009.09.03, 03:25 PM
Looks great. Will you be selling the rack for it also Philip? Like the one we saw at the Regional? You had a really nice setup.

PNracing
2009.09.03, 03:33 PM
Looks great. Will you be selling the rack for it also Philip? Like the one we saw at the Regional? You had a really nice setup.

sell the rack around 14.88, we also set up the combo 2 charger with rack should be 59.99x2+14.88=134.86 after discount 129.99 for combo

RCPMini-z
2009.09.03, 03:36 PM
Looks great Philip. Looking for a new charger for my rc plane lipo's. What is the balancer plug type?

Sorry, just noticed it has an internal balancer. How does it balance each cell if it is internal? Don't you need to moditor each cell of a lipo as it is being charged? Sorry for my ignorance. If it is internal, won't the charger be seeing the cells in series rather than as a seperate cell.

Old Crow
2009.09.03, 03:41 PM
sell the rack around 14.88, we also set up the combo 2 charger with rack should be 59.99x2+14.88=134.86 after discount 129.99 for combo

That's great, sounds like the way to go.

color01
2009.09.03, 11:37 PM
Looks great Philip. Looking for a new charger for my rc plane lipo's. What is the balancer plug type?

Sorry, just noticed it has an internal balancer. How does it balance each cell if it is internal? Don't you need to moditor each cell of a lipo as it is being charged? Sorry for my ignorance. If it is internal, won't the charger be seeing the cells in series rather than as a seperate cell.
I'm also curious about this Philip, how can the charger recognize individual cells in a series pack? The overall package looks really nice, I'm thinking I should retire my Piranha... :)

PNracing
2009.09.03, 11:49 PM

It is external balancer included, may be some info is wrong at display.

PNracing
2009.09.03, 11:50 PM
I'm also curious about this Philip, how can the charger recognize individual cells in a series pack? The overall package looks really nice, I'm thinking I should retire my Piranha... :)

The balance charge only for Li-Po Li-FE pB only.

GIHOSU
2009.09.04, 01:41 AM
The Combo deal looks great to me too.

I have to agree with EMU that a 3A discharge rate would be ideal. That issue aside, it looks like another great PN piece for my pit.

arch2b
2009.09.04, 11:45 AM
i assume i can then use this to charge dnano bateries? especially with the release of the new atomic battery adapter (http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1793&category_id=101&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)

http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/DN-007_install.jpg

chad508
2009.09.04, 12:58 PM
reminds me alot of my venom charger that cost twice as much. what would be nice is if a motor run feature could be added. i then could get rid of mahas and motor master. i was woundering about your setup at the nj regional now i know i can have one as well.

mikedw
2009.09.04, 01:23 PM
looks just like my extreme chargers, I have 2 and they work great.

VAzRACER
2009.09.08, 08:24 PM
Philip,

What power supply would you recommend for this charge? I have a much more supply with a distribution block to power multiple chargers, will this be fine?

Thank you.

PNracing
2009.09.08, 08:31 PM
Philip,

What power supply would you recommend for this charge? I have a much more supply with a distribution block to power multiple chargers, will this be fine?

Thank you.

For one charger use minium 7A, for two minium 12A.

Old Crow
2009.09.08, 08:34 PM
For one charger use minium 7A, for two minium 12A.

Philip,

Can you recommend a power supply from your site? Or if you have multiple ones. I just don't know enough about power supplies to know what to get.

Thank you

arch2b
2009.09.08, 08:35 PM
good question, i plan on using my modified pitbox
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/966/medium/IMG_0896.JPG

PNracing
2009.09.08, 09:26 PM
Philip,

Can you recommend a power supply from your site? Or if you have multiple ones. I just don't know enough about power supplies to know what to get.

Thank you

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=power+supply&x=0&y=0

Difference brand and price range.
All you can run tow chargers, if you just use for Mini-Z 10A is enough.

lfisminiz
2009.09.08, 09:38 PM
Cant wait to try this out.;):)

lfisminiz
2009.09.11, 07:10 PM
Got the goods today. Didnt get to try it yet but the duel combo chargers with the stand looks great! ;)

wcrotty
2009.09.14, 03:06 PM
The chargers worked great this weekend at the International Indoor Championships. IIC. I used them to charge my 3.7v lipo batteries for 12th and 10th scale all week.

Qualified 7th in 10th and had a top 6 car in 12th but had no luck in the qualifiers. I won the C main and just missed the lucky dog to get into the A main.

chad508
2009.09.14, 03:22 PM
Got the goods today. Didnt get to try it yet but the duel combo chargers with the stand looks great! ;)

any pics? is it the same as philip was using in nj?

chad508
2009.09.14, 03:25 PM
never mind just saw kenon shows them on their site now.

PNracing
2009.09.14, 03:52 PM
I recommend charging spec with AAA battery

TRP 900, Orion 900 battery
2.5A with PN charging tray, NiMH Sensitivity set 5mV
1A with plastic charging tray, NiMH Sensitivity set 5mV

R1 750, R1 900, TRP 1000 battery
1A with PN charging tray, NiMH Sensitivity set 5mV

lfisminiz
2009.09.14, 07:56 PM
Thanks Philip, ill give it a try.

LARRY

wcrotty
2009.09.21, 01:30 PM
Here are pics of the chargers from the IIC.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs275.snc1/10221_1208092972270_1527061539_558336_7744165_n.jp g

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs275.snc1/10221_1208093012271_1527061539_558337_3862802_n.jp g

They are a little dusty after the event. :)

lfisminiz
2009.09.21, 06:34 PM
Hwy Bill, how comes my chargers didnt come with your name or my name on it...............?;);):p:D

Old Crow
2009.09.22, 07:30 AM

Thanks alot Philip, that's a great help. Haven't plugged mine in yet, but they look great!

Old Crow
2009.09.22, 02:24 PM
Just DC 11-18V input

Sorry, I just don't know enough about this stuff, but I'm trying to learn and understand. I have a Power Supply that is 10A, will this work? What is the minimum that one charger can have? Will a 24A work for two?

Old Crow
2009.09.22, 02:27 PM
Forget this last post above, just saw the answer on page 2.

Davey G
2009.10.26, 09:44 AM
I used these chargers this past weekend for the 1st time at the "ALS CHARITY RACE". Great great chargers for sure. I used the exact settings Philip posted earlier in the thread for my TRP's and matched Team Scream cells. I am playing with the computer software as we speak and will post screen shots a little bit later for those that are interested.

AWESOME CHARGER!!!

Davey G
2009.10.27, 04:19 PM
Here is what the computer charting looks like on the charge cycle:

Voltage and Current:
Being that this is a STEP charger you can see the amps drop to "0" and the volts drop a bit during the charge process. This eliminates false peaking giving you a true and safe charge.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_current_c.jpg

Voltage and Capacity:
You can see the voltage climb a bit on this graph as well as the capacity go up along with it.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_capacity_c.jpg

Voltage and Temperature:
Temp probe wasnt hooked up, but if it was you would see the temp climb as well.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_temp_c.jpg

Davey G
2009.10.27, 04:28 PM
Here is what the computer charting looks like on the discharge cycle:

Voltage and Current:
Obviously since we are dumping these cells at a constant 1 amp you can see that the blue line is staying constant while the voltage gradually goes down then dumps hard at the end.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_current_d.jpg

Voltage and Capacity:
Here you can see the voltage go down and then drop at the very end just like the other graph, you can also see the blue line which shows the amount of mah coming out of the pack.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_capacity_d.jpg

Voltage and Temperature:
Once again I didnt have the temp probe hooked up but if I did you would see the temps change throughout the discharge cycle too.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/volt_temp_d.jpg

Some other notes....You can simply drag your mouse over a certain area of the graph and on the very bottom of the screen it will show exactly what the cells are doing and at exactly what time. Instead of sitting in front of your charger watching it discharge you can now hit the start button and review what your pack is doing on a line graph.

PRETTY NEAT STUFF!!!!

mk2kompressor
2009.10.27, 04:49 PM
coooooool:eek:
i got 2 on order:cool:

lfisminiz
2009.10.27, 08:31 PM
Dave, i got 2 Pn chargers;):o.........wish i knew this stuff as good as you.

killa g
2009.10.28, 01:06 PM
Very Informative!!! I just put in an order for one!

Gael

EMU
2009.10.28, 06:52 PM
There is no charger that offers this type of functionality close to this price point. I will reiterate that the only negative thing I see on the charger is the low 1A discharge. A 3A discharge would be much better, and completely sell me on getting the charger. For the money though, you cannot beat this charger. With my LaCrosse charger going down at the ALS race, I need a new charger, and this may be it...

Felix2010
2009.10.28, 10:59 PM
I love the PC software that you can use with this new PN charger. Very cool for sure:)

@DaveyG - When you said these PN chargers are "Step" chargers, what exactly does this mean? I see in the software screenshot that the amps go down to zero. Forgive my ignorance: Does this charger have a "Linear"charge mode? Or are "Step"-charging and "Linear"-charging the same? Or is "Step"-charging a form of Linear-charging? From my research, Linear charging seems to be the best method for charging NimH cells. Do you agree with this?

Thanks for the info and pics Dave.:) You definitely are making me consider purchasing this new PN charger...

Pierro
2009.11.16, 07:05 AM
Hello!

I've got a question about the balancer. What type of plug is it?
Is it "JST" type?

I'm looking for some Li-po for my Mini E-revo and need to know what to buy.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Davey G
2009.11.17, 10:13 AM
I love the PC software that you can use with this new PN charger. Very cool for sure:)

@DaveyG - When you said these PN chargers are "Step" chargers, what exactly does this mean? I see in the software screenshot that the amps go down to zero. Forgive my ignorance: Does this charger have a "Linear"charge mode? Or are "Step"-charging and "Linear"-charging the same? Or is "Step"-charging a form of Linear-charging? From my research, Linear charging seems to be the best method for charging NimH cells. Do you agree with this?

Thanks for the info and pics Dave.:) You definitely are making me consider purchasing this new PN charger...

This charger does not have a linear charge mode. This charger is a lot like the CORE RC charger offered by Shumacher USA. The step charge seems to eliminate false peaking. I have charged all different sizes of NiMh cells on this charger and NOT ONCE did it false peak.

Hello!

I've got a question about the balancer. What type of plug is it?
Is it "JST" type?

I'm looking for some Li-po for my Mini E-revo and need to know what to buy.

Thanks a lot for your help.

It comes with so many different plugs. For example, Red JST, tamiya, deans, reciever pack, banana, etc. It also comes with a handy little converter to charge 2cell,3 cell, 4 cell, and 5 cell lipo packs all in one plug. Pretty cool! :cool:

CristianTabush
2009.11.17, 10:29 AM

Step charging was developed a couple of years back in an attempt to break down the chemistry of the cell inside in order to lower internal resistance of a cell further. What it is, is that the charging cycle chances the amp rate depending on the part of the cycle it is in. In most chargers this is a parameter that can be adjusted based on what you tell it to do. Typically you want a slow start, then go harder charge and then slow again. This allows the cell to not overheat and supposedly get more charge in it.

I again, can't tell the difference. I charge linearly at 2.5A for 750s and 3.0A for 900s'. I have never lacked power and never false peak. To adjust how much power I have in my car I use a different cell (900 vs 750) or a different number of charges on the particular set of batteries (1st charge is mellower during the day than the 2nd one. The 2nd charge is typically the fastest of the day, the 3rd charge, performance and runtime drop).

The PN charger is great though, and you CANNOT beat it for the Price. It is Almost as good as my Eagle CDC V7 at 1/4 of the price...

pedrocamp
2009.11.17, 10:35 AM
Are you setting peak detect at Philip's recommended 5mV per cell? or higher?

CristianTabush
2009.11.17, 10:38 AM
I do either 4mV or 5mV, it really depends on the charger and the charging rack. If you use the PN aluminum trays, you can charge a little hotter and with a lower cut-off. It is the ONLY tray I now use...

pedrocamp
2009.11.17, 10:43 AM
Thanks, recently bought two... I nearly melted my plastic RadioShack ones! Philip's are nice.

briankstan
2009.11.19, 10:30 AM
is a power supply required to run these chargers? or do the just plug in to an outlet?

thanks

Edit, I found the answer on page 1, duh.

dahlis
2009.11.20, 03:20 AM
is a power supply required to run these chargers? or do the just plug in to an outlet?

thanks

Edit, I found the answer on page 1, duh.

You need a power supply. I use a RCS power supply 8.5A for two chargers and it seems too work fine, its a really tiny power supply so it fits perfectly in the pitbox.

briankstan
2009.11.24, 11:57 AM
how do I hook up 2 chargers to the same power supply? My power supply only has the plug for 1 red and 1 black input?

is there something I'm missing or do I need a different power supply.

JeremyC
2009.11.24, 12:43 PM
how do I hook up 2 chargers to the same power supply? My power supply only has the plug for 1 red and 1 black input?

is there something I'm missing or do I need a different power supply.

Brian,

How many amp is your power supply? I think page 2 says that you need a 12 Amp or larger supply to run two of these PN chargers. If it is greater than 12 you just need the power cable split to each device.

Think of it like the battery in your automobile; you can run a lot of different things off of it, just keep tapping in. :)

-Jer

briankstan
2009.11.24, 12:52 PM
Brian,

How many amp is your power supply? I think page 2 says that you need a 12 Amp or larger supply to run two of these PN chargers. If it is greater than 12 you just need the power cable split to each device.

Think of it like the battery in your automobile; you can run a lot of different things off of it, just keep tapping in. :)

-Jer

this is the one I have.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28584&stc=1&d=1259088266

it's a 12amp constant with 14 surge. the problem with this power supply is it's very heavy and sucks to take with me. I've had it for years and have been using it only when I use my Ice to charge batteries or to brake in motors.

JeremyC
2009.11.24, 01:28 PM
this is the one I have.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28584&stc=1&d=1259088266

it's a 12amp constant with 14 surge. the problem with this power supply is it's very heavy and sucks to take with me. I've had it for years and have been using it only when I use my Ice to charge batteries or to brake in motors.

Brian,

That will absolutely work with two chargers, but I hear you about the size.. I'm getting one of these PN chargers shortly and am evaluating the power supply situation as well.

That charger you have is actually quite nice and overkill for this application; it is a Regulated supply and could be used for things that need a cleaner power source. i.e. Amateur Radio or hi-fi stereo

If it means anything I highly doubt that your two chargers will draw that much power; unless you are charging at 5amps.

Since I don't plan on charging over 1 amp, so I am not worried too much... Once I get the charger I can measure the amp draw against my big power supply and figure out what size supply I need to bring with me. I'm hoping to be able to use one of the small 2amp 12v power supplies I have kicking around.

-Jer

JeremyC
2009.12.25, 06:41 PM
Santa brought me one of these for Christmas today, and it is fantastic. The build quality is superb; it is beyond hobby grade. The cables that come with it are also top quality. The manual is well written and quite helpful, and the menu system is very straight forward to use. It literally took me only 2 minutes of messing around to understand the basics I needed to charge, discharge, and cycle my cells.

The buttons have a very positive feel and physically operating the unit is a joy. The default button tone is way too loud, and I turned that off immediately. The 'done' tone is also a bit too loud for my tastes, but I haven't turned that off yet as my home is loud on this Christmas day. :)

So far I have used it to charge a battery of 2 AAA cells and single AAA cells. It works; what else can I say. You can control every aspect of charging and discharging. One nice aspect of the Cycle feature is that you can pick if you want to Charge then Discharge, or if you want to Discharge, then Charge. This is very useful depending on what you are doing at the time.

For people doing Mini-z it is only really useful for NiMH AAA cells; and possibly NiMH AA for the controllers. However this charger is incredibly useful even beyond that because it can charge Lead-Acid, NiCad and Li-Po batteries.

I easily rate this charger a BUY

Ideas for improvement:
* A diagram in the manual showing which ports on the charger are for what. (the Li-PO balancer port is confusing)
* Show the voltage reached during each cycle. (May be shown but I haven't seen it)
* Reduce the default temperature cutoff; 80C is *way* too hot to be the default
* Turn off key press tone by default.

JeremyC
2009.12.26, 10:47 PM
I just got home from my trip and measured the current draw under various conditions. As I suspected this charger does not draw that much power when only charging 4 NiMH cells at relatively low current.

For testing I used a large regulated power supply outputting 13.62v and a digital ammeter.

Charging 4 cells at 5.9v and 0.8A draws 550mA at 13.62v (7.5W)
Charging 4 cells at 5.9v and 1.0A draws 660mA at 13.62v (9.0W)
Charging 4 cells at 6.0v and 1.6A draws 1040mA at 13.62v (14.1W)
Charging 4 cells at 6.1v and 2.3A draws 1520mA at 13.62v (20.7W)

I don't have another tray to try charging 8 cells at a time, but it is obvious that when charging many cells at higher current you absolutely need a large power supply. However, for those of us who just want to charge 4xAAA at a time a small supply will be more than sufficient.

The size supply will dictate how fast you can charge your cells, but I'm planning on using a 'walwart' 12VDC 2.5A supply. This will let me safely charge 4 cells at 2.0A if I want to.

Felix2010
2010.04.09, 02:24 AM

Philip,

When you say "NiMH Sensitivity set 5mV", is this 5mV per cell (20mV total Peak Detect per pack/4 cells), or 5mV total Peak Detect for all 4 cells (1.25mV average sensitivity per cell) ?

Juist want to make sure I got this right:D Thanks!

bermbuster
2010.04.09, 07:56 AM
Philip,

When you say "NiMH Sensitivity set 5mV", is this 5mV per cell (20mV total Peak Detect per pack/4 cells), or 5mV total Peak Detect for all 4 cells (1.25mV average sensitivity per cell) ?

Juist want to make sure I got this right:D Thanks!

It is 5mv for the group of cells.....
When you charge in series you will always peak from your weakest cell.
That is why it is important to use matched cells. When you use non matched cells you may have a good group of cells and get desirable results.
The easiest trick to determine how your cells are reacting is to check them for warmth....next use a voltmeter and see how close they are in voltages....

herman
2010.05.26, 03:23 AM
kinda newbie about this... great review though...
can somebody point out a good lightweight powersupply that will enable charging aaa/ aa batts...

i saw the pn charging tray and discharging tray as well, looks pretty good... another newbie question coming up... can you use the charging tray to discharge your batteries as well? say instead of buying the discharging tray? apart from saving the cost to buy the dischaging tray, are there any benefits of the pn discharging tray over using the discharging function of the pn charger with the charging tray?

thanks for any replies...

QuantumRC
2010.05.26, 04:29 AM
kinda newbie about this... great review though...
can somebody point out a good lightweight powersupply that will enable charging aaa/ aa batts...

i saw the pn charging tray and discharging tray as well, looks pretty good... another newbie question coming up... can you use the charging tray to discharge your batteries as well? say instead of buying the discharging tray? apart from saving the cost to buy the dischaging tray, are there any benefits of the pn discharging tray over using the discharging function of the pn charger with the charging tray?

thanks for any replies...

You can use the charging tray for discharging, but it discharging function will be from your charger instead. What the discharging tray does basically is to drain the power at a constant amp.

I prefer to discharge my batteries at a higher amp, kinda like to condition it for more output. But that will be at the expenses of the battery lifespan.

RobbyDV
2010.08.22, 03:08 AM
I just bought this charger and all works well but I am not able to connect it to my computer through USB. My computer runs Windows Vista. Does the software/driver supports Vista?

These are the steps i went through
- Set USB to 'enable' on the charger
- Install the soft 'charger v1.0' Is there already newer soft available?
- Connect charger to computer, but the charger is not regnized...

herman
2010.08.24, 01:55 AM
wondering if pn will have an ac/dc version coming out....

mdowney
2011.01.24, 09:58 PM
I picked up two of these chargers and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good dual+ output power supply that will support both of them. I have a big, ugly, 4-output metal power supply for my Hyperion 615i Duo and I want something more compact and easier to travel with for the S6's.

Thanks!

color01
2011.01.24, 10:30 PM
Buy two $5 computer monitor power supplies off eBay... they're small, cheap, and the PN charger does just fine with them. :)

mdowney
2011.01.24, 10:38 PM
Buy two $5 computer monitor power supplies off eBay... they're small, cheap, and the PN charger does just fine with them. :)

Hmm - I've never had a monitor/LCD that had an external power supply. How would you wire it to the charger? Do you happen to have a link to an example?

mdowney
2011.01.24, 10:43 PM
What about this 10amp power supply from ProTek (http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1574_231/products_id/159041/n/ProTek-R-C-Pro-10-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-138V-10A-130W)? I don't know much about wiring for power - could you split the single output so that you could power two chargers or would I have to buy two of these?

http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/medium/ptk/ptk-pro-10a.jpg
http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/medium/ptk/ptk-pro-10a_1.jpg

CristianTabush
2011.01.24, 11:00 PM
You can certainly run the 2 chargers off of the single, 10A power supply...

mdowney
2011.01.24, 11:21 PM
You can certainly run the 2 chargers off of the single, 10A power supply...

So would I just solder up a simple Y adapter to each of the two power outputs on that power supply (above)? I know it's powerful enough, I'm just trying to figure out how I would actually wire it. Thanks!

CristianTabush
2011.01.25, 01:26 AM
anything would work, I personally have one charger set up with bullet plugs and the other one with aligator clips, this way, I clip onto the bullet plug ends when plugged in, whenever I am using a second charger.

mdowney
2011.01.25, 02:21 AM
Oh cool - that's a good idea. Thanks Cristian!

arch2b
2011.04.10, 02:23 PM
what size plug is needed for the pn charger? i'm looking for a cheap laptop ps but need to know what plug size is needed.

dr_hfuhuhurr
2011.08.06, 05:13 PM
Balance Taps for Lipo? I'm wanting to buy a lipo pack for my KO EX10 Eurus.

www<DOT>maxamps<DOT>com/Lipo-2500-111-FUTX-Brick-Pack.htm

It's asking if I want to use the balance feature on this charger, how do I connect the battery to the charger using the balance lead?

Also, what balance lead do I need? Maxamps is asking if I want:
Align JST-xh Taps
Hyperion Taps
Thunder Power Taps
FMA Cell Pro Taps

Finally, can I buy a replacement balance harness (such as the one shown in the pic?)

dr_hfuhuhurr
2011.08.09, 12:08 PM
Anyone? Someone has to know this right?

It's asking if I want to use the balance feature on this charger, how do I connect the battery to the charger using the balance lead?

Align JST-xh Taps
Hyperion Taps
Thunder Power Taps
FMA Cell Pro Taps

Finally, can I buy a replacement balance harness (such as the one shown in the pic?)

mikedw
2011.08.09, 01:20 PM
Yes, you can buy the balance boards separately.

You would want the JST-XH, it is what you have in the pic.

I found two sources of what comes with the PN charger (I'll assume you have one, since you posted here). One says, "comes with cables shown in pic", unfortunately it has no cables in the pic. The other shows a JST-XH balance board.

Did you get a balance board with the charger or does it have JST-XH already on the side?

If 'yes' above then you've already answered this question:
"It's asking if I want to use the balance feature on this charger, how do I connect the battery to the charger using the balance lead?"

Cheers

Ancient Artist
2011.08.22, 12:56 AM
Can someone tell me if the specs changed on this charger at some point?
My brother has a couple and I noticed that on the box and instructions the specs note this out to be a Charge/discharge power max. 50/5W; not 80.
I'm considering purchasing a couple of these, but before doing so just want to have clear expectations on what I'm getting.

Also is there still an option to buy two chargers with the stand together? I couldn't find it on the site.

...any info is appreciated!

NiCd/MH 1~15 cells

Pb 2~20V

- Operating software
Every operating program in the unit is controlled with mutual links and communications to prevent every possible error, so it introduces the maximum safety, such as input voltage warning, reverse polarity protection and Lithium cell-count input error warning.

- Individual voltage balancer for Lithium batteries
S6 Charger has an individual cell voltage balancer inside. So it does not need any balancer separately when charging Lithium batteries (LiIo/LiPo/LiFe) for voltage balancing.

- Accept various types of Lithium battery
S6 Charger can accept three types of Lithium batteries - LiIo, LiPo and LiFe. They have different characteristics by their chemistry. You can select any one of them that you are going to process before the job. For their specifications, refer 'Warnings and safety notes' section.

- Lithium battery 'Fast' and 'Storage' mode
You can charge Lithium battery for special purposes. 'Fast' charge reduces the charging time of Lithium battery and 'Storage' mode controls the final voltage of the battery to be suit for long time storage.

- Maximum safety
Delta-peak sensitivity : The automatic charge termination program works on the principle of the Delta-peak voltage detection. (NiCd/NiMH)

Auto-charge current limit : When charging NiCd or NiMH at 'AUTO' current mode, you can set the upper limit of charge current to avoid from feeding high current to the battery. This is very useful when charging the low impedance and small capacity NiMH battery in 'AUTO' mode.

Capacity limit : The charging capacity always calculated by multiple of the charging current and time. If the charging capacity exceeds the limit the process will be terminated automatically when you set the maximum value.

- Data store/load
For users convenience it can store maximum 5 data of different batteries. You can establish the data contains program setting of the battery to charge or discharge continually. These data can be called out at any time you need and the process can be executed without program setting.

- Cyclic charging/discharging
Perform 1 to 5 cycles of charge>discharge or discharge>charge continually for battery refreshing and balancing.

- PC based analysis using USB communication
For technical expert, S6 Charger offers PC based program can analysis the characteristic of the battery by USB port. It shows a graph of voltage, current, capacity and temperature curves. It also shows the individual voltage of each cell in the Lithium battery pack.

- Robust outer aluminum case

Ancient Artist
2011.08.24, 09:27 PM
Surely someone must know the answer to the above question about the power wattage.
These chargers are everywhere. lol

"Anyone...Anyone...Bueller...Bueller..."
:rolleyes:

color01
2011.08.24, 10:27 PM
Can't really help you here my friend. I suppose I have hit somewhere around 49W with this charger before (8-cell NiMH radio pack at 3.5A, charger decided to go for 14V so 3.5 x 14 = 49) and the charger was fine, I only melted the charging tray due to heat. You would have to be doing some serious charging to need the full (possible) power output of 80W.

Ancient Artist
2011.08.25, 01:53 AM
Brian,

Thanks so much for the response. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of probably not needing the power, but this question is more about product integrity then actually functionality.
It's all interesting on how I may or may not use the charger, but I'm just looking for a definitive answer on what the specs are. It may or may not make a different, but if it does I'd like to know. In all honesty I'm actually a bit surprised I didn't get a response directly from Phillip at PN Racing on this already. He's been on the forum throughout week so it's a bit puzzling that he hasn't already answered this one. I just thought it would be an easy one to answer.
Never the less, I truly appreciate you adding some insight to the subject...

PNracing
2011.08.25, 03:09 AM
Brian,

Thanks so much for the response. I completely understand where you are coming from in terms of probably not needing the power, but this question is more about product integrity then actually functionality.
It's all interesting on how I may or may not use the charger, but I'm just looking for a definitive answer on what the specs are. It may or may not make a different, but if it does I'd like to know. In all honesty I'm actually a bit surprised I didn't get a response directly from Phillip at PN Racing on this already. He's been on the forum throughout week so it's a bit puzzling that he hasn't already answered this one. I just thought it would be an easy one to answer.
Never the less, I truly appreciate you adding some insight to the subject...

So sorry late to reply this, because I had contact the production factory to confirm is 50W or 80W, just get the answer our charger is 50W, so in the product description is wrong, we already correct it.

Ancient Artist
2011.08.25, 03:27 PM
Phillip,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.
Im in the market for a couple chargers, and anytime I make a purchase I really like to do my homework before making a decision. (In others words Im cheap and frugal) :o

Good luck at the Regional race this weekend, and best wishes for a safe trip!

herman
2012.05.16, 09:13 PM
er... newbie question here...

for the discharge function for nimhh batts...

i set it at 1a...
what voltage should i set it for 4aaa batts?

for charging batts (850mah-1000mah)
is setting it at 1.5a ok?
what do you set it at for different capacities?

it seems that i can't switch it to the auto charge function for nimh,
how do you do this?
under this setting, how many amps does the charger put into the battery?

thanks for any response...

RussF
2012.05.24, 12:17 PM
er... newbie question here...

for the discharge function for nimhh batts...

i set it at 1a...
what voltage should i set it for 4aaa batts?

for charging batts (850mah-1000mah)
is setting it at 1.5a ok?
what do you set it at for different capacities?

it seems that i can't switch it to the auto charge function for nimh,
how do you do this?
under this setting, how many amps does the charger put into the battery?

thanks for any response...

Voltage for the batteries to discharge to should be .9 volts per cell. or 3.6 volts for a pack of 4aaa.

Yes setting of 1.5a for charging is good for most brands, thats what I use. Some like Orions have vented above .9 amps but most are fine. I've even seen some that get charged at 3amps :eek:. Actually I will do that sometimes to my team screams just before a race.

To change the auto to manual you need to be in the charge screen ready to start the charge and press both the + and - keys at the same time.

Also something I do is set the charge cut off in the setup menu to whatever the battery I'm charging is so as to avoid overcharging.

I really liked my PN S6 chargers and recently sold the pair and replaced it with the Hitec X6plus. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that its basically the exact same charger as the PN S6 just 4 times.

Good luck.

RussF
2012.05.24, 12:36 PM

Align JST-xh Taps
Hyperion Taps
Thunder Power Taps
FMA Cell Pro Taps

JST-HX taps are the most common. Hobbyking sells the balance boards cheap, so does ebay. Hobbyking has a Rhino battery that is cheap and works great in the EX-10 BTW.

Something that you can do if you dont have the balance board is plug the balance tap directly into the pins of the port on the side of the charger if you can get it to fit. The negative pin is on the right of the port. Keep in mind you still need the main two charge leads connected as well to balance charge on an S6.

herman
2012.05.25, 04:08 AM
Voltage for the batteries to discharge to should be .9 volts per cell. or 3.6 volts for a pack of 4aaa.

Yes setting of 1.5a for charging is good for most brands, thats what I use. Some like Orions have vented above .9 amps but most are fine. I've even seen some that get charged at 3amps . Actually I will do that sometimes to my team screams just before a race.

To change the auto to manual you need to be in the charge screen ready to start the charge and press both the + and - keys at the same time.

Also something I do is set the charge cut off in the setup menu to whatever the battery I'm charging is so as to avoid overcharging.

thanks for the info russ... didn't catch that pressing + and - keys would change auto to man mode...

ARN
2012.08.21, 10:24 PM
I use this charger past couple time PNWC regional race, I run TRP 900 battery charging at 2.5AMP, Delta-peak voltage sensitivity 5mv, with PN charger tray, I can charge my TRP 900 every time over 850mah, and my power really good and good run time too.

Philip, Is this still your practice? 2.5 with 900mah batteries?

With the S6 what charging setting will give me the most punch? 2.5, or 1.5, or just plain 1amp?

Of course I could try all this myself over time, but I don't have any time to re-invent the wheel with my limited practice time on track.

BTW, I really like this S6 chargern but why not supply a cable with a banana post on each end for your S6 to Pn charging tray?

Thanks Man.

Aaron

(hope to see you in Novemeber)

PNracing
2012.08.22, 01:10 AM
Philip, Is this still your practice? 2.5 with 900mah batteries?

With the S6 what charging setting will give me the most punch? 2.5, or 1.5, or just plain 1amp?

Of course I could try all this myself over time, but I don't have any time to re-invent the wheel with my limited practice time on track.

BTW, I really like this S6 chargern but why not supply a cable with a banana post on each end for your S6 to Pn charging tray?

Thanks Man.

Aaron

(hope to see you in Novemeber)

We charging 1A all the time now, make the power curve more liner.