PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Ball Diff

addicted
2009.09.06, 04:57 AM
Hi,
I've got two atomic ball diff's with the thrust bearing's installed (one was obtained before the other, and one has around 2 hour's runtime).
Unfortunately i can't remember which is which, in terms of when they were purchased, but i've noticed that one of them is must stiffer than the other, and does not feely move as much as the other one (when taking it apart and running it just on the plates and gear it was fine), but then when i ran it with the thrust + seal nut on it just seems to be really stiff.
Perhaps i've got it right in thinking that this is the one that hasn't been ran yet, and so isn't worn in?
Or perhaps there's a bit of grit or dirt in there?
When i tighten it so that there is pretty much no slip it becomes even more stiff, and the one that is free has no slip at all that i can tell.
Also, what is the recommended lubricant for the thrust + the bearings that i can easily obtain (i'm sure i heard that people don't recommend wd40/gt85 etc).

Thanks,
Matt

p.s.: and if it is that it's not worn in, do you recommend i wear it in on the front or rear?

addicted
2009.09.06, 05:26 AM
In other words, is there a good guide to setting up the diffs?
I'm not sure on the optimum slippage or anything, as this is my first mini-z!
Any help much appreciated :]

mk2kompressor
2009.09.06, 05:49 AM
set the front with less slip than the rear,im not sure whats happening to your diffs without actually having them in my hands

addicted
2009.09.06, 05:53 AM
aye,
i'll get them "checked out" when i go to the meet, im sure someone there will know :]

Programmers
2009.09.06, 11:51 AM
There's only me and Matt at the club who know AWD's well really... We can take a look for you, no problem. :)

addicted
2009.09.06, 11:57 AM
awesome :)
i'm hoping that by then they will be ok and it was just the fact they weren't worn in.
by the way, what easy-to-get grease/lubricant do you recommend for both the balldiff + the thrust bearings?
or do i really have to get the atomic stuff? :(

Programmers
2009.09.08, 06:44 AM
Never used it mate, I run my bearings and diff as they come... :eek:

Felix2010
2009.10.07, 10:16 PM
awesome :)
i'm hoping that by then they will be ok and it was just the fact they weren't worn in.
by the way, what easy-to-get grease/lubricant do you recommend for both the balldiff + the thrust bearings?
or do i really have to get the atomic stuff? :(

Hope you guys don't mind me chiming in herre -

For ball diffs (AWD/MR02): use Kyosho Ball Diff Grease product#96506 - THE BEST.

For thrust bearings, use black grease, like Team associated black grease. You can get a small squeeze bottle of the stuff for like $2 on ebay.

Hope this helps.:)