PDA

View Full Version : X-Speed AWD Motor

addicted
2009.09.08, 08:24 AM
Now, i've been reading through tons of break in topics, and really still have no clue as to what to do.
I do not want to do the water break in method as i don't want to take it apart to lube the brushes etc.
So with the air method, i literally just attach eg 2. aaa batteries to it, and let it run until the batteries run out?

Thanks,
Matt

JeremyC
2009.09.08, 09:35 AM
Now, i've been reading through tons of break in topics, and really still have no clue as to what to do.
I do not want to do the water break in method as i don't want to take it apart to lube the brushes etc.
So with the air method, i literally just attach eg 2. aaa batteries to it, and let it run until the batteries run out?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

After doing a water break-in the commutator drops are optional, so you don't have to lube the brushes, or take the motor apart. You do have to lube the bearings though; which you should be doing anyway.

What I did while playing around was to run a motor in water powered by 2xAAA, then I dipped the motor into rubbing alcohol several times. In theory the alcohol displaced the water and evaporated quickly. I then put a drop of oil on the bushings. This was a stock motor that had already been run, and I was experimenting with water break-in. The motor worked well after, and drew less amperage from a reference voltage.

If you want to do an air break-in, go for it. Many people claim that air break-in is best, just like many people claim that running the motor on a stand from another motor is better, and don't forget the water break-in camp. IMHO, we don't have sufficient data to know definitively which is the best method so just do what you are comfortable with.

-Jer

addicted
2009.09.08, 09:38 AM
ok,
so what will be required for the air break-in, literally just running it on the 2xAAA's until dead?
is lubing the bearings easy? i've never taken a motor apart before and am new to the RC/mini-z scene, so eager to learn but don't want to waste money (aka killing motors)!
and what would you recommend as lube, can we use gt85 and stuff like this, or is grease really needed?

JeremyC
2009.09.08, 10:09 AM
ok,
so what will be required for the air break-in, literally just running it on the 2xAAA's until dead?
is lubing the bearings easy? i've never taken a motor apart before and am new to the RC/mini-z scene, so eager to learn but don't want to waste money (aka killing motors)!
and what would you recommend as lube, can we use gt85 and stuff like this, or is grease really needed?

I'm new too, so I hear ya on all counts.

You do not have to take the motor apart to lube the bearings. The bushings are easily lubricated from the outside, they are where the 'axle' of the motor come out to the pinion and on the electrical side. Note that some people don't even lubricate the electrical side bushing.

I wouldn't use GT85, or WD40.. As I understand it that style of lubricant won't work in high RPM locations, like on these small electric motors. You want a very light weight oil, like SAE10 or SAE20 oil.

Personally, I use Air Tool Oil, which is usually SAE20 oil; it is very cheap and readily available anywhere air tools are sold. I cut a wooden matchstick so it has a fine tip, and dip the matchstick into the oil. I then put the smallest drop I can right into where the rod spins on the motor; just enough so that I can see it in there.

Absolutely do not use grease; the motor will be laboring just to turn itself.

The easiest solution is to buy a lubricant from a hobby vendor. This will come with a long needle tip that makes application easier. However if you have something else appropriate on hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use it so long as it is light weight. Like, if you put some on your thumb and forefinger it should feel kind of wet, not sticky, and should not be gooey when you pull your fingers apart.

-Jer

PS: if you are doing an air break-in you don't really have to lubricate it immediately, but you should be doing this as maintenance.

addicted
2009.09.08, 10:24 AM
ok thanks for the tips :)
will see if i can find some, if not, just break it in without, and then do it later!

addicted
2009.09.08, 11:00 AM
p.s. how long do i run it for? 10min, 30min? 45min? batterys flat?

JeremyC
2009.09.08, 11:08 AM
p.s. how long do i run it for? 10min, 30min? 45min? batterys flat?

Some day 10 min, some say until they are dead. I'd let it go for 30.. but that is just me.

addicted
2009.09.08, 11:13 AM
ok,
and that's 2 batteries in parallel to each other, or doing a single battery at a time?

Scrapper
2009.09.08, 11:56 AM
what i do to break in a motor is i fill cup wit motor spray and put motor in it while running it for about 5 mins