PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Tire Warmer for Racer and AWD

EMU
2009.09.23, 01:16 PM
I just got news that Atomic will be releasing a tire warmer. This is good news for people that race in cool environments, I know it will help me out a bit.

It will run off of 12v from what I have heard.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28157&stc=1&d=1253726123

I will let you guys know more as I find out about it.

mk2kompressor
2009.09.23, 01:18 PM
cool(or hot)im up for getting one:D

Programmers
2009.09.23, 04:58 PM
Your tires wont maintain the heat it provides, I imagine... So if anything, through the race won't your handling become worse?

Tjay
2009.09.23, 05:10 PM
I don't see the need of tire warmer but I must give atomic props for finaly releasing something in mini-z line. It has been a while. Thanks!!

color01
2009.09.23, 05:18 PM
If you tune it right I suppose you could get yourself a couple tenths for the first few laps... but these tires don't heat up that much anyways so you're really splitting hairs with a tire warmer at THIS scale. Cool transplant from 1/10 touring though.

addicted
2009.09.23, 06:05 PM
as said above, good idea, but let's face it, they ain't gonna stay warm!

Rune
2009.09.23, 06:18 PM
On regupol with rubber tires the front tires temperature heats up 8 degrees celsius (I think about 14 degree fahrenheit). This happens in 3 laps at our track.
the start temp is about 22 degree celcius, and it ends up around 30 degree C after two laps. Any hotter than that doesnt happen unless you have a bad setup.
As for the rear tires they typically increase a little more. Around 10 degree C.

This was measured with a proffesional heat sensitive camera.

I dont see the need for tire warmers at all.

If anyone is interested I can share the data i got when i tested tire temp with regular front end, WTF, and A-arm also. The difference is absolutely there.

CristianTabush
2009.09.23, 06:47 PM
Please Rune, send me the data... You have my email...

EMU
2009.09.23, 08:36 PM
I see a need for the tire warmers. At my local track, the pits are near the entrance to the street, so it will get very cold in winter time. I tend to use harder tires than most people that I race with, so I hope that the tire warmers help me get good first laps, where I cant really push right now until the tires warm up.

I was thinking about working on a tire warmer before I heard about the Atomic product...

Rune
2009.09.24, 08:57 AM
I see a need for the tire warmers. At my local track, the pits are near the entrance to the street, so it will get very cold in winter time. I tend to use harder tires than most people that I race with, so I hope that the tire warmers help me get good first laps, where I cant really push right now until the tires warm up.

I was thinking about working on a tire warmer before I heard about the Atomic product...

Then I can understand the need for tirewarmers. How much running do you have to do before the tires are up to temp?

EMU
2009.09.24, 01:21 PM
Typically its less than a minute before the race starts.

Tjay
2009.09.24, 01:43 PM
Last night I ran atomic 8's in the rear, my first time running it and now I understand why you'd want to use a tire warmer. This tire has zero grip on the first lap but after few laps, the traction starts to come in.

EMU
2009.09.24, 01:59 PM
I usually use ATM 8d rear and 40d front... So it takes about 5-10 laps until tires are fully up to grip. Which means you have to drive on the edge of traction on the starts, but later in the race, after tires come in, you have great traction while people with softer tires start to lose grip...

benmlee
2009.09.24, 02:04 PM
If anyone is interested I can share the data i got when i tested tire temp with regular front end, WTF, and A-arm also. The difference is absolutely there.

I think people would be very interested in the data. Can you post them here or email them to me too.

oopster
2009.09.24, 02:54 PM
I've used tyre warmers before, but on my 1/10th and 1/14th. Didn't really work on the 1/14th, but they don't tend to with foam tyres, but almost everyone uses tyre warmers when racing on rubber tyres outdoors. Your tyres might cool down, but only to their peak operating temperature. So it will help for the first 3 to 4 laps on a big track, and probably the first 5 to 6 laps on a regular hfay track.

marc
2009.09.25, 08:10 PM
Why not just warm up your tires like real race cars do when their following the pace car? You know, steering left and right constantly? That provides friction which warms up the tires. That is why you see them waving back and forth a lot before the actual race. Wouldn't that work just the same at our scale? Me think's so.

Felix2010
2009.09.26, 02:41 AM
I think this is a cool little gadget for sure.... For the guys at the "PRO" level especially. I can see this being effective for Modified, where starting-off a race with warm tires can make a difference. Nowadays with guys wanting that extra 5-10 hundredths-of-a-second, every advantage counts.:D

I can relate to TJ's problem with the Atomic 8 degree tires. I've experienced some initial slippage with PN 15 and 20 degree front slicks, and PN 8 degree rears too, when starting off the first few laps - Then traction comes up. Sometimes it takes up to a minute to get the tire's real traction. I've scuffed front and rear slick tires with 400-800 grip sandpaper to get the tires to grip right at the start of a run until the tires get warm. I'm in for one of these Atomic Tire Warmers when they're available, granted the price isn't exorbitant.:) Atomic is usually good about pricing their products though.

EMU
2009.09.26, 01:23 PM
Im not sure, but I think it will be priced around $60usd.

On Thursday it took about half a qualifying run before I felt like I wasnt driving on ice. Then I could push the car a lot more. There are certain solutions you can put on the tires before the race to give good initial grip, I dont like using them since they are not legal at large events. Which is why I am really interested in the tire warmers, since they only increase heat.

Marc, in warm up laps I try to throw the car around as much as I can to get heat into the tires. But the more that I do that, the more batteries I use... If you heat the tire to a temperature above what you would be in the race, by the time the race starts it should cool down to the running temperature and be pretty consistant throughout the race.

babstar
2009.09.27, 06:21 PM
I think its totaly rediculious and over the top.

I want one!:D

marc
2009.09.27, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure I see the point of this gadget on RCP track. I wouldn't think the surface of RCP would care about temperature. But, I'm not a professional so what do I know? :D Having over 6,000 posts doesn't mean I know squat!

color01
2009.09.28, 03:51 AM
Quite the opposite, RCP is VERY sensitive to temperature changes. Every race I go to the traction changes noticeably between the qualifiers and the mains -- and this is just a span of a couple hours, a bit less sunlight, and maybe some more humidity coming in late at night.

mugler
2010.08.07, 04:27 PM
Did this product ever come out?

EMU
2010.08.07, 04:40 PM
I havent seen or heard anything about it for a long time. I am very disappointed, I really liked the idea.

winner
2010.08.07, 09:40 PM
I havent seen or heard anything about it for a long time. I am very disappointed, I really liked the idea.

lol get yourself one of them mini heaters from like home depot and just set you car on top of it... it'll probably be 75% cheaper then what atomic would have sold it for and do pretty much the same thing

EMU
2010.08.08, 02:16 AM
That would also heat up the motor/chassis... I just want warm tires. lol.

mleemor60
2010.08.08, 08:51 AM
I have one in stock. A Muchmore unit I got from pchano a couple years ago.

dgomes
2010.11.29, 04:09 PM
It is in stock now at EGR Mart for US$ 50

egrracing.com

mdowney
2010.11.29, 05:58 PM
Why not just warm up your tires like real race cars do when their following the pace car? You know, steering left and right constantly? That provides friction which warms up the tires. That is why you see them waving back and forth a lot before the actual race. Wouldn't that work just the same at our scale? Me think's so.

Heh - I always wondered why they were doing that. I figured they were just trying to psych out the guy behind them. :D

machgo5go
2010.11.29, 10:12 PM
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/IC-082_m.jpg
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/IC-082_inst.jpg
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/IC-082_inst3.jpg
I think is kind of over kill but some fanatic will buy it for sure so I will wait and see any results.

dvsstrike
2010.12.07, 04:17 PM
these tyre warmers are awsome. I initially have way too much grip and the grip levels stabilize during the run. with no warmers tires has to go about 1 min before grip level becomes good. now i push the car hard from the get go.

EMU
2010.12.07, 05:10 PM
I got mine in :) I will check it out tonight

Atomic-USA
2010.12.12, 10:33 AM
Here are photos of EMU's Tire Warmer:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Mini-z/SAM_0548.jpg

It also can be used as a car stand:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Mini-z/SAM_0550.jpg

Sinister_Y
2010.12.12, 10:59 AM
This product works as advertised. I tried it out last night at the shop and it worked great. Tires had grip right from the start. This piece of gear will be most useful at the shop as the floor that the RCP goes on (concrete) does get cool in winter, so usually we all have to run 6 deg rear and 10 deg fronts. And as noted in an earlier post, it would take a minute or so of running to bring all tires up to temperature.

My only gripe would be that the actual cups seem to fall off the tires too often. A quick fix was to simply scotch tape one cup to the other at the tops. I figure this is due to the fact that Atomic made these to fit both touring car and F1, whereas F1 tires are larger diameter. I was using with my touring car.

EMU
2010.12.12, 12:25 PM
The fitment of the cups is my primary concern, especially since I use smaller diameter front wheels. I only use them on the rears, at a low temp setting, to give the rear a little more grip when the car goes down, and the fronts come up to temperature much faster since there is less rubber. This came in handy for LM rear tires, which normally take a long time to warm up.

If we could get alternate cups for different diameter, or a wrap with velcro, that could help fix the fitment issue, and more evenly apply heat to the tire. I used the system on two cars at the same time, rear tires only.

If you are waiting on the grid for a while before a race, you will lose heat, so I find this a better tool for practice than racing, so you can find a good tire balance for when the tires are warm, and dont have to go through a bunch of nervous laps to get the car up to temp to see if the tire balance is working.

dvsstrike
2010.12.12, 05:41 PM
I agree the cups suck and fall off when sitting there. I just put some tape over the top so the caps do not slip off.

EMU
2010.12.12, 05:48 PM
What concerns me, is not the cups falling off, but resting on the wheels. There will be no airgap between the cup and the top of the tire, but there will be air gap everywhere else on the wheel. This is why full size cars use a wrap and not a solid cup. I am just happy that these are finally here, and can fit LM/F1 wheels and tires. Especially because they take so long to warm up on the track...

dvsstrike
2010.12.12, 05:53 PM
PChan modified a much more kit that wrapped the tire a while back. Maybe we can modify the heating elements in the cups? i am currently looking into this right now.

mugler
2010.12.12, 11:08 PM
Larger scale tire warmer cups are slightly oversized also and what racers without exception do is cut an appropriate size piece of those blue shop paper towels and slip the cups on top of those & then onto tires...it does 2 things, doesn't let the hot cup stick to the tire & secondly traction compound can be baked on tire without making a mess of the cups.

dvsstrike
2010.12.14, 07:54 PM
I ended up cutting the fingers off my sons old gloves and sliding them over the tire then putting the cups on. they fit snug and the tire does not get burnt on the cups itself and the tire warm up evenly.

machgo5go
2010.12.14, 09:19 PM
So what is the optimum temperature settings you guys discovered?
Starting at 40 C seem quite warm already since it claims can be set up to 90 C which I think I can cook a pigeon eggs in it!

Racer-HH
2011.01.12, 05:50 AM
So, anybody played around with the warmer in the meantime? I received mine now and would appreciate a good hint on how much temperature you guys apply before a race, how long you have the warmers on and so on.
Currently I only go to #3 on the scale which should be around 50C. Than I can even rest the tires directly in the cups without problems. But I would assume that higher temperatures would need a different approach. But are even warmer tires better? Or does no one of you go higher in temperature?

Atomic-USA
2011.01.12, 11:14 AM
Humidity / track material / condition / age and room temperature all contribute to tire performance. Therefore there is no hard rule for what temp. setting is ideal.

This video is the latest 2WD Mod race I TQ'd and won. The car only handled well with warm rear tires but not cold tires. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFR4PbMbChs

chad508
2011.03.07, 06:45 PM
has any one else had a problem with the cups not fitting the rear tires when running a tri damper. mine will not fit on the rears without completely redoing my rearend. anyone have any advice

VAzRACER
2011.03.07, 08:21 PM
They touch the side shocks on mine but still cover the tire completly. Ive bee using some finger tips from some cheap gloves to hold them on.

JuniorWKR
2011.03.07, 09:11 PM
i put a brace across the to of the two cups and they stay on the tires no rpoblem... they sit rite up against the side shocks..

EMU
2011.03.07, 10:45 PM
I have to make sure that the narrow part of the warmer cup is where the shock is. Otherwise, no problems.

Dont use with new LM tires, you wont be able to get them off until they cool, as they will expand :rolleyes: Found that out the hard way...

chad508
2011.03.07, 11:24 PM
i must really be doing something odd as they will not go on the rear. im using the pn shock support and it is so close to the tire i can not get the cup between it and the tire, plus i did not like having it rest on tire in one spot. also the shock support sticks out pass the edge of the tire and only allowing me to get in on half the tire. i may just have to go back to the drawing board

Atomic-USA
2011.03.08, 12:36 AM
Put a piece of velcro tape across the cups(front & rear separate velcro); the tension will hold the cups together and somewhat avoid touching the tires at one spot. The cups also won't fall off.

machgo5go
2011.03.08, 06:27 AM
Put a piece of velcro tape across the cups(front & rear separate velcro); the tension will hold the cups together and somewhat avoid touching the tires at one spot. The cups also won't fall off.It works to certain extend until the heat melts the glue off the velcro strip. Be care not leaving it too long on the rear wheel especially by the diff side since it will end up dissipating the grease out of your diff.
It is a great item if you throw you car on track right away to drive but most time before a qualify or race, you loose all the heat during the time everyone is checking in.

ub0211042
2011.03.08, 02:08 PM
hello,

whats the minimum amp required for this tire warmer? only stated 12v input but no amp rating.

Thanks in advance!:)

dvsstrike
2011.03.08, 06:19 PM
none that I can see i run mone off my 30amp power supply

EMU
2011.03.08, 07:43 PM
Im not sure... I use a 10A PSU with my LRP Pulsar 2 and warmers and have no problems...

mugler
2011.03.28, 09:48 PM
I recently bought one of these warmers and actually they were very effective, however only after a couple of uses one of the tire cups stopped working and stays ice cold while other 3 are fine. It's not the unit since when I switched plugs it still didnt work yet the other cup worked where the defective one was originally. also inspected the plug and it seems fine so probably something wrong with wires below the plastic cover on the cup itself.

Has anyone had the same experience and/or any possible fixes? I don't think Atomic sells the cups individually...

Atomic-USA
2011.03.29, 12:52 AM
For warranty issue please have receipt ready and write to us_support@rcatomic[dot]com

TheRinger
2012.02.14, 09:28 PM
hello,

whats the minimum amp required for this tire warmer? only stated 12v input but no amp rating.

Thanks in advance!:)

2.5 to 3 amps minimum. I run mine off a radio shack adjustable voltage brick power supply which I also use to run my tire truer. You can pick one up for 40 bucks if you want something to just run the tire warmer, but I put a deans plug on mine so I can run other things with it.
What I would like to know is I found in the shop and on atomic's website is a coil that fits inside the cups and it looks like it makes a perfect fit on the tires. But my question is why do they sell two different types? They sell them in soft and hard. And how many do they sell in a pack? Enough to put in all four tire Warmers or two? They don't say in the description on either web sites.

ub0211042
2012.02.15, 05:53 AM
hi there,

thanks for ur answer for my q's...for the coils, hard ones is thicker and soft ones is thinner...

hard coils = thin tires/used tires/front tires
soft coils = thick tires/fairly new tires/rear tires

but if u use 21mm wheels, even the soft coils will not fit coz the wheel is too big...but the cup alone is a bit too big but still works.

hope this helps :)

imxlr8ed
2012.02.15, 10:38 AM
I guess the idea behind the warmers at this scale is to go way above the normal running temp so the tires will cool gradually as the race goes. But I would be curious to see how long it would take all that heat to dissipate out of the tire and rim. If the temps fall back to what the tires would be after 2 warmup laps, then the only time a warmer would make sense would be for those first few laps. But if the warmed tires a higher temp than normal throughout say, half the race... then it would seem to be a good thing to have.

I used to cup my hand around the rear tires and breathe into them to warm them up when we used to run in a garage and if I'm throwing a new set on to test with, seems to help alot. (or it's just a weird habit/ritual that I convinced myself that it works :rolleyes:)

TheRinger
2012.02.15, 12:40 PM
hi there,

thanks for ur answer for my q's...for the coils, hard ones is thicker and soft ones is thinner...

hard coils = thin tires/used tires/front tires
soft coils = thick tires/fairly new tires/rear tires

but if u use 21mm wheels, even the soft coils will not fit coz the wheel is too big...but the cup alone is a bit too big but still works.

hope this helps :)

Thanks for the info. I ended up ordering both springs from here at the shop to see the difference. I wasn't sure why they made different one's. Again thanks for the info.

TheRinger
2012.02.15, 12:46 PM
I guess the idea behind the warmers at this scale is to go way above the normal running temp so the tires will cool gradually as the race goes. But I would be curious to see how long it would take all that heat to dissipate out of the tire and rim. If the temps fall back to what the tires would be after 2 warmup laps, then the only time a warmer would make sense would be for those first few laps. But if the warmed tires a higher temp than normal throughout say, half the race... then it would seem to be a good thing to have.

I used to cup my hand around the rear tires and breathe into them to warm them up when we used to run in a garage and if I'm throwing a new set on to test with, seems to help alot. (or it's just a weird habit/ritual that I convinced myself that it works :rolleyes:)
Ed, I used my tire warmer a couple times at the HFAY races and the tires seem to hold the heat for atleast about half of a 8 minute main. And it is a little more consistent on the start. I think its worth buying.

imxlr8ed
2012.02.15, 10:39 PM
Been eyeing these up for a while, and trying to justify buying them too.

Now that we are actually in a series again I'm feeling like there is a bit more of a reason to.

Atomic-USA
2012.02.16, 09:20 AM
The Coils come in a pair in each package.

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/images/addition_atomic/IC-082-SP_inst1.jpg

As for promotion; new tire warmer order will come with One free pair of Soft + One free pair of Hard coils.