PDA

View Full Version : Powerex Maha C801D

NewbieRacer
2009.09.25, 10:59 PM
Hi,

I bought this charger and it's awesome - charges 8 batteries at once in about an hour (at 700mAh). I have 5 packs of Orion 900s so it's very cool not to have to wait for batteries to charge at the track. But in regards to the Conditioning Mode, how often should I use it? Since it says that it will take about 14 hours, I haven't had the time to try. Also I wasn't sure if I'd do more damage than good.

I race about once a week and normally after each run, I discharge each pack by using a discharger that I recently bought at the local track (Discharge current 0.1-2.5A). Is this simple maintenance procedure good practice to keep the batteries in good shape? How long do these batteries last until I need to buy new ones?

The reason I ask is that I see guys at the track with insance circuitry, treating their batteries delicately like babies. Meanwhile I'm throwing used ones down and putting on charged ones, rarely sitting down at the pit.

Skv012a
2009.09.25, 11:05 PM
Was 801D the "fancier" of that series or the basic one? I'm looking to get it as well since I never use any of my C9000's extra features and I would really appreciate charging 2 sets of batteries at a time. Good to hear that its as good as it seems.

As far as batteries, charging at safe rates and discharging afterwards is the most babying they really need. I never discharge mine since they do so quite well over a week or two anyway.

Eman
2009.09.26, 01:18 AM
I have a couple of the MH-C800S. Similar to what you have. They charge at .5 and 1 amp as well as having the conditioning function. I have cycled the batteries before but feel it might shorten the life of the battery. Back in the day we cycled Ni-cads to erase memory effect and to slightly increase voltage. I have yet to see a Nimh suffer from memory effect. When I bought the charger I also bought 10 sets of the Orion 1100RTs. Within 2 months most were junk. In fact I lost a couple of batts on the first charge when they vented. Those I'm guessing were defective, but the others I wonder if I cycled them too often. If you look closely on AAAs most recommend charging around 100mah. So far I've had no problems charging at 500mah. I do wish that I had gotten the other MAHA charger with the lower charge rate even though it only charged 4 cells at a time. But yeah I wouldn't cycle them.

NewbieRacer
2009.09.26, 09:08 AM
I have a couple of the MH-C800S. Similar to what you have. They charge at .5 and 1 amp as well as having the conditioning function. I have cycled the batteries before but feel it might shorten the life of the battery. Back in the day we cycled Ni-cads to erase memory effect and to slightly increase voltage. I have yet to see a Nimh suffer from memory effect. When I bought the charger I also bought 10 sets of the Orion 1100RTs. Within 2 months most were junk. In fact I lost a couple of batts on the first charge when they vented. Those I'm guessing were defective, but the others I wonder if I cycled them too often. If you look closely on AAAs most recommend charging around 100mah. So far I've had no problems charging at 500mah. I do wish that I had gotten the other MAHA charger with the lower charge rate even though it only charged 4 cells at a time. But yeah I wouldn't cycle them.

Oh, really? That's interesting, the instructions didn't caution anything about shortening the life of batteries via conditioning. I"ll keep that in mind.

Does memory effect mean that the battery forgets what it can hold as a max charge, hence decreasing voltage and run time?

Was 801D the "fancier" of that series or the basic one? I'm looking to get it as well since I never use any of my C9000's extra features and I would really appreciate charging 2 sets of batteries at a time. Good to hear that its as good as it seems.

As far as batteries, charging at safe rates and discharging afterwards is the most babying they really need. I never discharge mine since they do so quite well over a week or two anyway.

I actually don't know much about chargers. This one I bought was recommended by someone at my local track. Another feature that I like is that I can charge AAs as well - for my transmitter.

Eman
2009.09.26, 12:21 PM
The below link has a good definition. When NiMhs came out the idea was they didn't develop memory. That must have changed. I don't really understand why they would need to cycle NiMhs. I'll check around on this forum. As far as shortening the life of my batteries. That was just a theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

NewbieRacer
2009.09.26, 02:30 PM
The below link has a good definition. When NiMhs came out the idea was they didn't develop memory. That must have changed. I don't really understand why they would need to cycle NiMhs. I'll check around on this forum. As far as shortening the life of my batteries. That was just a theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_effect

Thank you for the info. I'm going to do some more research as well.

Skv012a
2009.10.13, 10:41 AM
Ordered one of these guys at last so I'm eagerly awaiting it.