PDA

View Full Version : How do I hook up I-lap transponder to Overland?

Mini-Me-Zee
2009.09.26, 02:34 PM
I have connected I-lap transponders to my MR-02s via method suggested by Craig from I-lap. That is, by connecting "female" servo wires to the positive and negative screws on each battery compartment of the MR-02 chassis.

How do I wire up a transponder on an Overland?

PridgeoK
2009.09.26, 08:00 PM
Hey man,

I don't have an overland, so I'm not a lot of help here, but I would have to assume that the best spot would be wherever the overland PCB power leads hook up to the batteries themselves. One the MR-02's they have them basically right beside the motor leads, as you know, but I can't tell where they are on the overland, even after blowing up their exploded parts list in the manual and searching through some a bunch of thread pictures for them. Looks like you might be doing a full-on tear down of the vehicle to find where those power leads end up.

Post some pictures when you find out?

Kev.

Mini-Me-Zee
2009.10.01, 08:32 AM
Hi Kev,

Attached are some pics of a disassembled Overland chassis, where the entire front end is removed. Two of the pics show the wires that are soldered to the battery tabs that then go into the main board. The group of 4 loose wires coming out of the main board are supposed to lead to the front end's steering servo. Also attached is a pic of one of the battery compartments.

Any advice would be great!

briankstan
2009.10.01, 12:47 PM
in the last picture of the side, you can see where the board attaches to the chassis, there are wires from the chassis that screw together with the power leads from the board. this is where you will need to attach your transponder leads.

Hope that helps.

PridgeoK
2009.10.01, 02:26 PM
Hey Brian,

You're talking about the screw posts that look like they are almost dead-center of the plastic chassis where the two black wires meet and screw together, right? Positive would be on the flip-side next to the second pair of batteries, I assume. These must be directly under the PCB, hey? Looks like that's the spot for that transceiver connector though.

Good pictures!

Kev.

Mini-Me-Zee
2009.10.01, 02:31 PM
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the input. Are you referring to where the motor leads screw to the chassis? If so, I think it was recommended by Craig at I-lap to avoid wiring the transponder to that area. I think due to voltage fluctuations.

If you are referring to a different spot, then please let me know!

Thanks

briankstan
2009.10.01, 05:38 PM
no not where the motor screws in, you have to disassemble the chassis, you have to connect it to where the battery leads connect to the leads on the main board.

you can't connect to the motor because of the power to the transponder will only work when you are on throttle. you have to hook to the main board power.

Just remember that it will power the transponder as long as batteries are installed, so you have to remember to remove them when you are done.

briankstan
2009.10.01, 05:39 PM
Hey Brian,

You're talking about the screw posts that look like they are almost dead-center of the plastic chassis where the two black wires meet and screw together, right? Positive would be on the flip-side next to the second pair of batteries, I assume. These must be directly under the PCB, hey? Looks like that's the spot for that transceiver connector though.

Good pictures!

Kev.

yes, that's where I'm talking about, it's right under the PCB.