PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game, looking for MR-02 upgrade advice

sam24and48
2009.09.28, 07:56 PM
Hi guys, I originally got a first generation F1 mini-z when they first came out (can't remember how long ago ha ha). I was asked to help with a club at a local school this year. They are planning on teaching the kids about both the electronics and physics of these cars (mini-z and xmods) and of course doing some racing! The plan is to open this up to the public for some competitions on saturday. The two guys that head this club up have already purchased a good amount of RCP track (we had our first meeting tonight and tried it out) and have a few xmod and mini-z cars. I was hoping that you could point me to some good articles for the best bang for your upgrade buck and maybe some good general articles on suspension and steering that would apply. Or just let me know what you have found as the best upgrades in your experience. I am hoping to get a MR-02 car on order this week along with some upgrades. Thanks!!
-Dave

JeremyC
2009.09.28, 08:10 PM
Sam,

I'm not sure the purpose of the car. Are you the only one that is going to be driving it? Is it going to be a 'community' car that many people will drive?

These two are very different and would require different setups. In either case you'll want a few sets of batteries and a good charger.

Also, how competitive is the racing going to be? If most people are going to be new drivers you won't need a fancy setup to dominate; I'd just focus on reliability... Tires, bearings, and maybe a set of H-plates.....

-Jer

Hi guys, I originally got a first generation F1 mini-z when they first came out (can't remember how long ago ha ha). I was asked to help with a club at a local school this year. They are planning on teaching the kids about both the electronics and physics of these cars (mini-z and xmods) and of course doing some racing! The plan is to open this up to the public for some competitions on saturday. The two guys that head this club up have already purchased a good amount of RCP track (we had our first meeting tonight and tried it out) and have a few xmod and mini-z cars. I was hoping that you could point me to some good articles for the best bang for your upgrade buck and maybe some good general articles on suspension and steering that would apply. Or just let me know what you have found as the best upgrades in your experience. I am hoping to get a MR-02 car on order this week along with some upgrades. Thanks!!
-Dave

hobbycar
2009.09.28, 09:00 PM
I know there are a bunch of good posts on this but for the life of me I can't find them.

My opinion - for an MR-02 I'd start with:

Bearings
Tires (e.g. Kyosho 20degree for rear and Kyosho 30degree for fronts)
Steel Kingpins
H-Plates (Carbon)

Then I'd look at:
Steel Knuckles (1 or 2 degree)
Ball Diff

-hobbycar

sam24and48
2009.09.28, 09:06 PM
Ok just to clarify, It will be my personal car, but I'd like to get some good cornering upgrades off the bat. Speed is not an issue at this point as the track we have won't utilize real long high speed straights. I did look through the forum for some good posts on this but didn't find any real clear ones. So mainly I think I need advice on tire compounds for the rcp track, springs, and other suspension upgrades. Thanks for the help already HobbyCar!

mleemor60
2009.09.28, 09:14 PM
Don't try to mix the X-mods with the Mini-Z's. It seems that when the are competing together the X-mods stop working. Try to keep them separate to minimize confusion.

If this is going to become a going concern then I would invest in the current technology 2.4 cars. It is a bigger initial nut but the lack of channel conflict and the higher precision of the digital electronics is well worth it. The cars are still MR-02's.

Check with reflexracing.net for really good tutorials on set ups and maintenance of the various components. This forum is the best source of information you will ever find. Use it.

JeremyC
2009.09.29, 01:23 AM
Besides the car, you must get 3-4 sets of decent AAA batteries, and a good charger. You will not find a good charger at a retail store; just order a BC-700, BC-900, or MaHa MH-C9000. This is one thing that you can't skirt (I have tried), you have to have a good charger.

Check out this link for a good beginner setup article: Reflex Basic build. (http://www.reflexracing.net/Basic_build.asp)

Essentially they recommend this..

Bearings
Tires
CF H-plates
Stainless kingpins

I basically agree with them, but I think that Bearings and Tires are the only absolute essential parts here.

I can't really comment on the stock H-plates because I bought my car used, and it didn't come with them. I am running FRP plates because they are cheaper than CF, and also softer. I have heard that the stock H-plates are serviceable to get you started, but are prone to breaking.

Bearings are a much tighter fit than the bushings and both front and rear tires will track more consistently. Also the car is noticeably faster due to less drag.

Tires and are absolutely critical. (I run Atomic 30 radials in the front, and Atomic 8's rear on RCP) If you want to be able to adjust your setup, get a couple different types of tires. IMHO springs, camber, tie rods, etc, are all a distant second to tires.

Kingpins are important however, because the stock kingpins cause the front suspension to bind. The stock kingpins are good enough provided you heavily polish them, upgrading to stainless is easier and cheap. If you can, just buy new ones..

Wheel locknuts are also much nicer than the plastic ones. The plastic ones are more difficult to get the proper tightness, and also are much more likely to come off causing your wheel to go flying.

If you have more questions ask and I'll babble about it, but I'm going to stop typing because I doubt anyone is still reading and I'm realizing I could type all night :)

-Jeremy

PS: I am a newbie Z racer on a strict budget, so my perspective is on doing as much as I can with what I've got.

JeremyC
2009.09.29, 01:26 AM
Besides the car...

...what I've got.

I didn't mention that what this setup will get you is a car that will get around the track well, but not set any records. It should give you a setup that will be a good platform to practice, and practice some more. When your lap times are consistent it is time to go faster..

sam24and48
2009.09.29, 11:57 AM
Thanks, that is the kind of info I am looking for. That will definitely get me started with the mods. Second question ha ha, where is the best place to pick up tires and some of the better upgrades?

mleemor60
2009.09.29, 12:02 PM
Tiny R/C. They sell all the products from all the manufacturer's. They are pleasant to deal with and they are the host for this forum. So, please use them as often as possible.

sam24and48
2009.10.05, 08:16 PM
Well I ran the car tonight with the bearings upgrade and the 8 degree rear tire. The bearings made it noticeably quicker than the other mini-z's and the tires kept that thing hooked up and not spinning out. I have the H-Plate set that I will be installing this week along with some springs. Thanks for the tips guys, it improved the handling a ton so far!

JeremyC
2009.10.05, 09:04 PM
Well I ran the car tonight with the bearings upgrade and the 8 degree rear tire. The bearings made it noticeably quicker than the other mini-z's and the tires kept that thing hooked up and not spinning out. I have the H-Plate set that I will be installing this week along with some springs. Thanks for the tips guys, it improved the handling a ton so far!

Glad to hear the car ran well.

I have found that the front springs and h-plates are both items that can be played with. I started with an h-plate set and let the front stay stock for a long time. If I wanted get slightly more rear traction I'd put the softer H-plate on. The day I found that I had too much front traction (which manifested itself with too much power off oversteer) I put on stiffer front springs.

As you get more comfortable driving the car you'll find that sometimes a small tweak will make the car more stable. For me the H-plate and springs are those small variables. For major changes new or different tires are the ticket.

-Jer