PDA

View Full Version : CF Drive Shafts

Programmers
2009.10.14, 08:36 AM
I noticed these on a popular Asian store for quite cheap. My question is, are they as good as a steel, titanium or alloy one? Do they deliver or do they flex under pressure?

Any info, good or bad, would be awesome.

Cheers,
Tom.

mk2kompressor
2009.10.14, 08:55 AM
cant see them being very well balanced at the 2mm size we need,i made a few a while back using the same material,they were crap:)

ScoobyPete
2009.10.14, 09:16 AM
every carbon shaft I have used in xmods have always worn out, the lug on the end tends to get worn and just spin in the spur gear. I've gone with titanium myself.

Programmers
2009.10.14, 09:29 AM
Right'o - that clears that up! Cheers guys.

addicted
2009.10.14, 11:42 AM
Programmers going for mega light ^^
The titanium's do rock :)
and btw, are you coming to Hereford this Friday?

MantisMMA
2009.10.14, 01:00 PM
reflex has aluminum ones that are lighter than the titanium, i personally use the reflex titanium mainly because of the knurling on the pinion end!

Cherub1m
2009.10.14, 01:40 PM
I noticed these on a popular Asian store for quite cheap. My question is, are they as good as a steel, titanium or alloy one? Do they deliver or do they flex under pressure?

Any info, good or bad, would be awesome.

Cheers,
Tom.

I've tried the Kyosho titanium, 3Racing alum. and the Atomic CF. I liked them all main reason I stayed with the Atomic CF, is it was lighter then all of them even the 3Racing alum. it was almost half the weight of the 3Racing alum I installed it on my 98mm(you have to shim the ball diff), 94mm (I shimmed the 94mm also but it has a lot more play then the 98mm) and 90mm AWDs. I had to work with it more then the others in order to get a good fit (on one CF drive shaft I had to file the tip to make it flat in order to get a good fit) and you have to make sure it goes in well into the spur gear and you may need to use glue (very little) especially with the 98mm set up. I've been using them for about 6 months now, and I haven't had a problem with them. Theoretically its should accelerate faster with a lighter shaft and the car should weight less. I noticed the car was lighter but for acceleration its hard to tell (maybe, the awd already accelerates fast). if its any help I also use the SP chassis (blue and gray awd chassis) my guess the smoke (brown chassis would work but if it flexes more then the SP chassis I would worry about snapping the shaft (the shaft does flex a little I've never broken one yet)

Programmers
2009.10.14, 01:51 PM
Programmers going for mega light ^^
The titanium's do rock :)
and btw, are you coming to Hereford this Friday?
I only commit to making it lighter when I know I'm not compromising the performance. So far, so good! And na, I work Friday nights... Also work Sundays, so it will be pot luck whether I get down there or not. Hopefully, I wont need to keep this pants job for another year...

reflex has aluminum ones that are lighter than the titanium, i personally use the reflex titanium mainly because of the knurling on the pinion end!
I currently use a 3racing alum' one that's too loose... I have a titanium here though... Cheers Marcus.

I've tried the Kyosho titanium, 3Racing alum. and the Atomic CF. I liked them all main reason I stayed with the Atomic CF, is it was lighter then all of them even the 3Racing alum. it was almost half the weight of the 3Racing alum I installed it on my 98mm(you have to shim the ball diff), 94mm (I shimmed the 94mm also but it has a lot more play then the 98mm) and 90mm AWDs. I had to work with it more then the others in order to get a good fit (on one CF drive shaft I had to file the tip to make it flat in order to get a good fit) and you have to make sure it goes in well into the spur gear and you may need to use glue (very little) especially with the 98mm set up. I've been using them for about 6 months now, and I haven't had a problem with them. Theoretically its should accelerate faster with a lighter shaft and the car should weight less. I noticed the car was lighter but for acceleration its hard to tell (maybe, the awd already accelerates fast). if its any help I also use the SP chassis (blue and gray awd chassis) my guess the smoke (brown chassis would work but if it flexes more then the SP chassis I would worry about snapping the shaft (the shaft does flex a little I've never broken one yet)
Right, okay... That sounds like some solid info! They're only $5 so I'll test one next meet. Thanks for the info buddy! Really appreciate that writeup.

Cherub1m
2009.10.14, 08:51 PM
Right, okay... That sounds like some solid info! They're only $5 so I'll test one next meet. Thanks for the info buddy! Really appreciate that writeup.

Hey Programmers

No, problem. Few tips, when you are putting the spur gear in, make sure to use the AWD battery remover/pinion remover to hold the front part of the shaft to keep it from sliding forward this little tool has a small hole at the tip that is made for that (you may already know what I am talking about, some don't its a great tool). Also, if its available to you try to use the Atomic front pinion it fits nice. two more things, you may need to use a small amount (very small) of ca glue to both the front pinion and rear spur (you will still be able to remove them. The front pinion is usually hard to remove). And last, make sure you leave a little play (very little) once the shaft is installed with both the front pinion and rear spur gear. Once you get it right the rear spur gear should not have a wobble to it. If it does then its either not all the way in or the spur maybe worpped or check the tip of the shaft to see if it has a 90 degree angle with the main part of the shaft if its not you may need to file the tip a little (not to much). PN and Atomic make the best true AWD spurs I like 3Racing but this is one of their products that is not well rounded (maybe newer batch is better I don't know)

Good luck

Santy
2009.10.14, 10:11 PM
i have had both the titanium amd cf. the cf fit perfect, the only problem i had was the spur gear end gets a little round. maybe i installed it wrong i dont know. its currently in my drifter, and has made a huge difference. the titanium one is nice, but it didnt fit in my bearings, i bent my first on and ruined my bearing. its currently in my track car with the plastic bushing cause i didnt want to ruin another set.

personally i didnt see a huge difference between the cf and titanium in my track car, but the spur gear on the cf fits nicer on with my atomic diff

scott

pfcparts
2009.10.15, 12:55 AM
I've tried a few cf shafts in xmuds and zs.

Go with alum or ti.

You dont want that cf dust or splinters inside
your bearings or other important stuff.

parts

addicted
2009.10.15, 06:34 AM
im on the titanium here and it seems to be nice, fits perfectly with the atomic spurs, where as my stock kyosho seemed to rub out the half circle shape and it ended up slipping!

Programmers
2009.10.15, 07:00 AM
Again, thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the input! :D