PDA

View Full Version : Very Unhappy customer (Bought from Okoye)

S2k Racer
2009.10.20, 12:11 AM
So I sent Okoye $110 back in June and he was supposed to send me a like new AM MA10 with the 98mm extention, after months of hassle I finally got it today and I'm very Angry, annoyed, mad, unhappy, unsatisfied, etc.

The box was poorly padded with a loose wrapping of 1 sheet of bubble wrap and the spare parts were just loosely tossed in the bottom of the box.
the chassis is cracked in places
the bearing need cleaning badly
It only had 2 matching springs
only 2 wheels
motor wires are all f-ed up
no battery cover
came with an extra rear gearbox which was broken
the board's antenna wire is too short to use and doesn't have a metal plate at the end so I haven't been able to test it
No extension kit (he told me during my hassling him to get him to send it that he wasn't sending me the extension kit)

And with this being my first Z I have no clue what other parts I dont have.

Looks like I wasted $110 and will never be getting into Zs

Herer're pics of the unboxing
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7841.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7844.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7846.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7848.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7849.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7850.jpg

wildthing
2009.10.20, 12:30 AM
wow!!! that is quite a bad experience... hope the seller can explain and clear it up :eek:

S2k Racer
2009.10.20, 12:31 AM
I doubt it
If I recall there are ALOT of people unhappy with Okoye now.

Action B
2009.10.20, 12:58 AM
I doubt it
If I recall there are ALOT of people unhappy with Okoye now.

Hey I feel real bad for you man. You got a PM coming your way.

S2k Racer
2009.10.20, 01:21 AM
All I know is I just want it to work like stock and that I dont really have like any money now. Need to get a job. :/

cowboysir
2009.10.20, 01:25 AM
the board's antenna wire is too short to use and doesn't have a metal plate at the end so I haven't been able to test it

if there is any exposed wire for the antenna wire you can try screwing it in place attached over top of the stand up part of the antenna....just twirl the exposed wire around the screw as you get it close to mounting the stand up part.

its a temp fix to test it only...

tough break about the purchase...don't let it sour you towards mini-z's and other online sellers.;) You can easily get a few new parts (like a blank chassis parts box) to get you rolling and you could ask around for some help soldering wires back in place.

wildthing
2009.10.20, 01:38 AM
oh well... somebody have to bust those types of sellers someday.

a good CA (like the Tamiya CA) takes care of most my MA010 chassis cracks... I "splinter" it with a lexan to make the cracks hold better.

S2k Racer
2009.10.20, 01:55 AM
Well I know it needs a new chassis cause there are alot of cracks and I dont know much about soldering.

I guess I can send it (Its now in individual parts) to Action B if he thinks he can restore it to what it'd be like new/stock.

Thanks guys for the help, maybe once it's fixed I can start trying to understand the design and look into getting better quality parts once I get a new job.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/s2000gan/IMG_7862.jpg

Action B
2009.10.20, 02:04 AM
Well I know it needs a new chassis cause there are alot of cracks and I dont know much about soldering.

I guess I can send it (Its now in individual parts) to Action B if he thinks he can restore it to what it'd be like new/stock.

Thanks guys for the help, maybe once it's fixed I can start trying to understand the design and look into getting better quality parts once I get a new job.

I can also send you the parts so you can assemble it if thats easier :) . I'm just trying to help in some way.

S2k Racer
2009.10.20, 02:20 AM
Well If you can solder I guess I might as well send it to you cause I can't solder. XD

addicted
2009.10.20, 02:26 AM
bah that is terrible, what a poor way to be introduced into the Mini-Z world.
something must be done by the moderators, he should not be allowed to post in the marketplace after that, after all the stuff i have seen going on with him!

luckily there is a decent community here so you'll get a suitable mini-z in no time thanks to other members, but a word of warning, stay clear of okoye!

imxlr8ed
2009.10.20, 09:22 AM
I can also send you the parts so you can assemble it if thats easier :) . I'm just trying to help in some way.

Awesome as always... way to help him out! (and the sport)

Don't judge all by one... in my experiences with this scale, it's extremely rare to get bit by bad deals.

marc
2009.10.20, 09:49 AM
Sorry this happened buddy. Don't let one bad experience throw you off the Z's for good. Their great little cars and there are a lot of great sellers and experienced builders here that can help you get running.
If I had any AWD parts to send you I would, but I don't have any Mini-Z stuff at all.
I think this seller should be band for a couple of months.

Skv012a
2009.10.20, 10:08 AM
I'll second bad experiences with 'koye, but nothing nearly as bad as this. Like I said over MSN, I'd be happy to help you rebuild with free labor, but since I only have 2.4 TXes I'd need one of those or you'd want to turn to someone else in this thread.

We NEED some kind of feedback system thats easy to access for every member.

MantisMMA
2009.10.20, 10:36 AM
send it to me man, i will hook you up with a complete working car for free as long as you pay for shipping both ways! i will even give you a body if you dont have one!

paul_england
2009.10.20, 10:46 AM
i nearly bought 2 overland bodies off him im sure glad i didnt, he was rude and pushy over msn with little details of the items i was actually buying. seems like a total time waster.

Eman
2009.10.20, 11:07 AM
Sorry about your trouble. It looks fixable. Send it to me and I'll put it back together. Have it back to you in a week. Did you get a transmitter or a body? Send me a PM if I can help.

arch2b
2009.10.20, 12:37 PM
i had to move this as it is in no way related to the ma-010 subforum being a feedback thread.

Mini-Me-Zee
2009.10.20, 01:02 PM
I can second (or third, or whatever the number is) that there should be a rating system, and that Okoye should not be allowed to buy or sell. I had a less than pleasant experience buying from him as well. When I posted a want to buy thread for Overlands, he sent me very nice pics of a Land Cruiser Overland. I asked if it was running ok and intact, and he was very sarcastic with his response. To make a long story short, I bought it, and got a largely unassembled box of parts, a bad differential, and a beat up Overland X5 body.

But it is also true that one bad apple should not ruin everyone's experience or trust here on Mini-ZRacer.com. I have bought some very nice items from several other members here, and will continue to do so.

TALLGEESE
2009.10.20, 07:32 PM
I bought a gunmetal FC RX-7 body from Okoye a while back with the help of another forum member. The body was in great condition and I was pleased with my purchase, until he PM'd me about three months later wanting his body back:rolleyes::rolleyes:..

EMU
2009.10.20, 08:36 PM
I dont understand why people just cant ship what buyers pay for. Its rediculous. And when the buyer makes a complaint that something hasnt arrived yet, they take things out of the package then ship it... That is STEALING. These sellers should be locked up!

J-Milz
2009.10.20, 08:56 PM
Did you pay via paypal? If you file a complaint through them They usually can retreive your money providing you sent back the item and attempted to contact the seller stating your dissatisfaction.

herman
2009.10.21, 05:32 AM
so when will the tribal council convene?

addicted
2009.10.21, 08:21 AM
exactly, if done through paypal, start a claims procedure, then you'll be ok!

kryten
2009.10.21, 10:03 AM
So I sent Okoye $110 back in June

I'm sure there is a limit for making a paypal claim.As it's been 4 months i don't think that's an option.

imxlr8ed
2009.10.21, 10:27 AM
I bought a gunmetal FC RX-7 body from Okoye a while back with the help of another forum member. The body was in great condition and I was pleased with my purchase, until he PM'd me about three months later wanting his body back:rolleyes::rolleyes:..

LOL!

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard about an online sale... please tell me you're kidding! :D

Frickin hilarious!

Ridgeracer
2009.10.21, 10:46 AM

****ing ridiculous. How do you sell something today then want it back tomorrow? It's like he used you like a pawn shop...

TALLGEESE
2009.10.21, 11:46 AM
LOL!

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard about an online sale... please tell me you're kidding! :D

Frickin hilarious!

Nope, not kidding Ed, I LOL'ed when I first got his PM requesting his body back. I actually sat there in disbelief for a split second, then I thought about it, then I LOL'ed again... Maybe I should tell him I'll sell it back to him, for twice the price, and never ship it, and give him a taste of his own medicine. I'm just kidding, I'd never do that, but it would be sooo satisfying.....

****ing ridiculous. How do you sell something today then want it back tomorrow? It's like he used you like a pawn shop...

It's definitely rediculous, I can understand if someone sells you something over the internet and accidently forgets something once, but to screw over multiple people is pretty much just asking for it..

arch2b
2009.10.21, 12:48 PM
ALWAYS be aware of time restrictions for payment disputes and ALWAYS begin proceedures before the deadline. you should never have to reach that point if the seller was honest so waiting longer is only adding insult to injury to yourself.

word of caution...
at some point you have to be responsible to yourself and act proactively. i'm not saying anyone hasn't, just that if your buying something from a store or a person and find yourself waiting longer than the time limit provides for restitution than your as much at fault when you realize your not getting your money back. its just as much your responsibility to know the system and react accordingly to protect yourself.

i only say this because i've often heard from someone who's waited to long and left hanging with a bad deal and no refund.

-be fair but be stern.
-give a reasonable deadline for a successful transaction to be completed.
-be clear that x amount of time is not to be exceeded or x measure will be taken.

marc
2009.10.21, 02:26 PM
I regret selling a few items myself, but I don't think I've ever asked for any of them back. And if I really wanted one back, I would make a darn good offer for it and make sure I'm good for that offer! LOL!

wildthing
2009.10.21, 03:32 PM
obviously that seller was a psycho ....

OT: so far paying by PAYPAL have been the best option for me (never mind the extra 4 to 5% that sellers charge me for using)... after paying I always as for proof (tracking number) of mailing, I follow-up after two weeks, and if I don't receive the items within 4 weeks, I start a dispute claim to Paypal. Within that same week, if the seller does not communicate, I escalate the dispute to a claim. So far, PAYPAL has worked to my favor.

imxlr8ed
2009.10.21, 04:17 PM
He must be a younger racer... his posts (around 600 of them on here) seem fairly straight forward compared to some I've seen. He does post alot in sale threads, but it seems like he's just dumping gear, but he is active.

If you're listening out there Okoye (Johnathan)... you might want to take better care of your customers. If what I'm hearing is true (I know TallGeese ain't joking, he only lies to women ;) j/k) and If you keep doing stuff like this, it's just going to keep reflecting poorly on you.

addicted
2009.10.21, 05:50 PM
funny thing is, this is the second thread criticizing him, and he has yet to respond to either, and there's no way he hasn't seen them, so i would say someone is feeling a bit guilty, and better double lock their front door each night :p

bermbuster
2009.10.21, 06:02 PM
funny thing is, this is the second thread criticizing him, and he has yet to respond to either, and there's no way he hasn't seen them, so i would say someone is feeling a bit guilty, and better double lock their front door each night :p

I saw him on yesterday and under his username says banned....
I think that means he can view but not post....
he has to prove to the moderators he is worthy or the ban sticks....

His deals while not total rip offs look like the dealing of a kid.....
I wish him luck and hope he straightens out....
mini z mania effects us all in different ways......:D

hilldebrandt
2009.10.21, 06:11 PM
Hmmmm...

That brings to 3 that I've seen the number of sellers that have had complaints against the past 6 months or so....

Must be the ECONOMY !!! :eek::p

marc
2009.10.21, 07:53 PM
Anybody seen the movie the Invention Of Lying? LOL!
Sorry, Dad and I saw it last week and this made me think of that. That is one funny movie! :D
On the flip side glad to see he's band from posting, maybe that'll make him re-think.

arch2b
2009.10.21, 07:54 PM
the ban is temporary. i won't remove a member because they are not good people. i do not want to put that kind of judgement call on moderators as we do not taking banning lightly and use it willynilly like. if forum rules are egregiously violated, then sure. but being a **** to dealing with on a personal level is no reason to remove them from the forum. over the past 9 years there have been plenty of not so nice people that also contributed to the forum through posting. not so nice as a person but stayed inline enough to let themselves stick around. his own actions will alienate himself more than what a moderator can do in the long run.

it is clear he is no longer welcome to post in the marketplace. he will be the first person to make the marketplace ban list.:( i really hate having to do that to anyone but this is clearly deserving.

fyi, once we update to vb4.0, you can ignore posts from selected users ;) if you absolutely do not want to see his replies, you can block them from being displayed when you log in.

marc
2009.10.21, 09:09 PM
Good point arch. Ignoring is sometimes the best solution.

Santy
2009.10.21, 09:28 PM
the ignore button is sometimes a great weapon against annoying people

addicted
2009.10.22, 02:53 AM
fair enough not banning him, as that is a fair policy, but surely he should be restricted from the marketplace for a set period of time? you only have to look at his posts in the market place to see that on alot of threads he posts on, he shows interest in the products, and then never gets back to them - calling dibs but not paying up.
maybe that's just me, but people like him infuriate me :D

and while the ignore feature will be welcomed, i very much doubt everyone will ignore him, and you have the problem of new users not knowing a persons reputation!

arch2b
2009.10.22, 07:49 AM
please re-read my statement. he has achieved the first ever permanent marketplace ban.

i see marketplace and forum reputations as seperate issues. one can be horrible with personal transactions yet still have something to offer the forum via posting. one doesn't always carry over to the other.

no matter what you do, new members will always be in that situation. i could put his name in a banner on top of the site and people will still miss it. seriously, we STILL have people asking where to find our shop or that they didn't even know we had a shop.
new members have to learn the ropes like everyone else. i can't spoon feed them a good experience. what i can do is strive to make sure they are treated with respect and civility when interacting with others here.

hrdrvr
2009.10.22, 07:52 AM
fyi, once we update to vb4.0, you can ignore posts from selected users ;) if you absolutely do not want to see his replies, you can block them from being displayed when you log in.

This is a huge upgr4ae IMO, and will definitely make browsning the forum a lot more enjoyable :D Im going to start 'LTs ban list' right now :D

fair enough not banning him, as that is a fair policy, but surely he should be restricted from the marketplace for a set period of time? you only have to look at his posts in the market place to see that on alot of threads he posts on, he shows interest in the products, and then never gets back to them - calling dibs but not paying up.
maybe that's just me, but people like him infuriate me :D

and while the ignore feature will be welcomed, i very much doubt everyone will ignore him, and you have the problem of new users not knowing a persons reputation!

I highlighted two items from your post, as to me, they mean a lot. MZR should not have to be responsible for buyers and sellers. IMO, it is totally up to the two parties involved in the transaction to make sure the other is trustworthy. All you have to do most times is look at the persons post history. I can tell usually from just a post or two if the person is some one I would deal with. If they dont have enough posts for me to make a judgement, then it is a risk. If its something worth the risk, maybe Ill take it, but then its on me if things dont work out, not the forum.

New users are the same as old users when buying. They need to get some background on the person, or accept the risk of buying from an unknown.

arch2b
2009.10.22, 09:02 AM
you are correct. essentially, the forum is in no way liable for transactions as clearly posted within the rules for the marketplace. the marketplace is provided for the opportunity for members to complete transactions. how that happens beyond the listing requirements is not our jurisdiction.

that being said, we do have a greater responsibility to our members to provide some measure of oversight thus the marketplace ban list. those found to routinely prove to be untrustworthy will be banned from posting to the marketplace, either temporarily or permanently.

completing transactions as a buyer or seller requires member responsibility to know and understand the risk and to respond appropriately when needed. we can not monitor all phases of transactions and resolve disputes. it's simply not within our bounds of responsibility. this will be much more evident in our trial period when permissions change here to reflect a classifieds approach.

imxlr8ed
2009.10.22, 09:35 AM
i won't remove a member because they are not good people. i do not want to put that kind of judgement call on moderators as we do not taking banning lightly and use it willynilly like.

Nice to know that here on MZR I can still have a chat with Hitler if he joins... just won't be able to buy anything from him in the marketplace. :rolleyes:

j/k arch... :D

marc
2009.10.22, 10:07 AM
I'm guilty of asking for answers to my questions when their right there in front of me. I think that happens cause a lot of us don't like to hunt for things and we want instant gratification. So, we ask before looking.
I think I've gotten better.............................I think...............................

arch2b
2009.10.22, 10:10 AM
i know it's a joke but it raises a valid point. over the years we've had plenty of experience with members who were roundly considered to not have the best social skills but continued to contribute in a productive manner. some people just aren't people people so to speak. it doesn't mean they can't be here. they must however be able to interact in a manner that is consistent with forum policy. were not kindergarden teachers waiting around to scold kids or beat down members like forums of old which will not be named. we have certain expectations and those rarely get violated thanks in large part to the overwhelming positive attitudes and desire to share opinion without berating others. the policy has served us well for 9 plus years now. my direction to moderators has always been to moderate with care, preudence and deligence.

anyone recall the early days of fet jobs/services and the personalities involved with that?:p or then there the whole pro-z debacle? he contributed to the forum and certainly provided great services toward further developing the scale chassis but wasn't the best business minded person.

ianc
2009.10.22, 10:39 AM
i won't remove a member because they are not good people. i do not want to put that kind of judgement call on moderators as we do not taking banning lightly and use it willynilly like. if forum rules are egregiously violated, then sure. but being a **** to dealing with on a personal level is no reason to remove them from the forum.

I completely disagree. Okoye's behavior is more than just not 'good people', it is that of a thief.

What purpose does your leniency serve? I don't think thieves should be allowed to post here, or be part of this community in any way, shape or fashion.

Get rid of him.

ianc

arch2b
2009.10.22, 11:03 AM
it serves to allow him the opportunity to make up for his shortcomings as someone to deal with by remaining a productive contributing forum member. his punishment is already doled out and will not be able to take part in any marketplace posting.
you will have the opportunity to ignore him if you choose shortly. karma has a way of taking care of people and he will either fade into memory or once again contribute responsibly. time will tell which path he decides to take but i prefer to offer the choice to make amends vs. tossing them out without that opportunity. he could still be permanently banned, it's a possibility but one we use as last resort. i think i've banned maybe 5 or so people in 9 years. they will either straighten up and fly right or disappear but rarely do they continue to the point of requiring outright banning.

until recently we did not even have the marketplace and if it proves to be more of a headache we will simply discard it entirely. i certainly do not want moderators spending substantial periods of their volunteered time babysitting the marketplace. it's no hook to draw members as once suggested. it is a covenience provided to members.

ianc
2009.10.22, 11:15 AM
it serves to allow him the opportunity to make up for his shortcomings as someone to deal with by remaining a productive contributing forum member.

I can see your logic for someone who does actually contribute worthwhile\meaningful posts.

I challenge you to find ONE of Okoye's that meets this criterion however. The man is a *****, and not a particularly clever one if his posts are any indication. He should not be here. Just my opinion,

ianc

S2k Racer
2009.10.22, 08:04 PM
btw, the deal was made before people started complaining about him.

marc
2009.11.06, 10:12 AM
Now that we have a market-place feedback section, you might want to put him on that as a buyer be ware kind of thing. Just a thought.................

arch2b
2009.11.06, 10:16 AM
PLEASE be thoughtful in any feedback provided. if negative, do so in a concise, dignified manner. we don't need several mouse wheel scrolls down worth of background.
to reiterate, you can be negative, but i expect a level of decorum we have come to expect on this forum by it's members.:)

also keep in mind it is not a place for discussion or conversation. any posts that are not direct feedback will be deleted from any thread.

deloreanaka8
2009.11.11, 06:24 AM
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I want to let you all know my experience with him.

When I was looking for a few MR01/02 chassis he kindly said to have a MR01 he could sell me.
Here is the thread I'm talking about - http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32136

I PM him to know what he was selling and he shows me this:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08391.jpg
Told me he'de sell it without the body for $40usd and I liked the deal so I told him I wanted it.
Then later on I asked him his e-mail so we could talk the details on MSN Messenger and he did that.

After a few days talking and gathering money to buy his MR01 he told me he had a Beetle body he could sell me along with the MR01 and once again I said yes - silly me!

He told me the shipping costs would be $13usd and I would sum up to $71 to pay him, fine by me.
And so I did, I payed him by paypal on July 28th.
After a few days without him taking care of things he told me he was wrong about the shipment costs and now they were about $30usd!
So now I would have to pay more 20 bucks if I wanted the stuff right after I payed the agreed price?!
I told him no and I wanted a refund if he didn't wanted to sell me for the paid price but he agreed sending me the MR01 without the beetle body, this made me super frustraded but I agreed because I needed the MR01 badly at that time.

So I waited, after a big while he didn't told me anything until after 1 month of paying I asked him if it was sent and he said yes - big mistake on trusting him!

I waited and waited, and after 2 months I sent him a PM saying I was getting tired of waiting and I wanted the tracking number for the shipment so I could track it.
He never gave me a number and told me he only could refund me but on a slow pace because he didn't had any money at the time.

This is where I made my biggest mistake! Instead of warn Paypal withing the 45 day limit that I was a possibly being tricked I decided to wait more on a stupid assumption that another Mini-Z Racer member wouldn't con you - awfully big mistake!

So now it's been 4 months and nothing, I already gave him another PM telling I want a refund and I'm waiting for response.
I've been working these last months so I couldn't come over MZR because if I had seen this thread I would have taken action way sooner.

Now I feel I'm never getting my money back and I was a victim of my own naive mind...

Traveler
2009.11.11, 06:36 AM
Arch. I believe member in question has been banned from the marketplace. Please confirm (I'm using my iPhone so reading the entire thread would be hard). If not he certainly should be. Thanks!

addicted
2009.11.11, 07:52 AM
yes he has.

Programmers
2009.11.11, 10:55 AM
He should be banned from the entire forum. The post from deloreanaka8 is the icing on the cake really.

This forum has 12,500+ members; losing one shoddy member will not do any harm to the community.

It's massively unfair that we let him continue to be a member after the grief he has given some people. Letting him use this forum provides him with a medium for scamming people and you would be naive to think banning him from the marketplace alone will cut it.

Allowing him to be a member at all just allows him to build contacts and false trust so he can potentially rip other members off via PM and MSN messenger, etc.

Put it like this - If someone stole something from your home on several occasions, would you let them back in?

People are banned for spamming, but a guy rips off several members and he merely gets a tap on the wrist. Come on mods...

EMU
2009.11.11, 10:57 AM
I just realised that I paid Jon Okoye for the f355 ASC in that picture (http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/marq74/DSC08391.jpg) and never received it... He said it didnt have a front clip, which I didnt care about, I have a few and the Corvette C5R clip works with slight modification... If I didnt see that picture of the MR01, I would have forgotten about that. I paid for it on May 19, 2009.

The original poster should edit the first post to include the number of members that have been scammed by Okoye.

kryten
2009.11.11, 11:09 AM
I think enough members are posting about bad deals/ripoffs to warrant a permanent ban from the forum imo.
Losing a member who does this,is no great loss to the forum.

Skv012a
2009.11.11, 12:31 PM
I'll go ahead and add one of my bad transactions that luckily didn't result in my losses- he begged me to get iwaver M3 body for him and that he'd pay me asap for it/had money in hand. 3 months of constant reminders and dodges pass until he had the money and wanted stock MA knuckles. What everything boiled down was paying me $1 extra for at the very frigging least my trouble which he refused and I simply ebayed the body and blacklisted him in my book. IMO its not even as much about the $ as it is about the principals and upsetting fellow hobbyists you know fairly well.

arch2b
2009.11.11, 12:39 PM
i believe a compelling enough argument has been made that even my gracious leinency is no longer warranted. moderators will take appropriate action.

i'm closing this thread simply due to the now active feedback subforum which i've referenced in previous replies as that is now the appropriate place for these feedback responses.