PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Bearing Prep.

Programmers
2009.10.22, 07:59 AM
Hi folks,
I just bought a set of ceramic bearings for my AWD. I was curious, as they're so pricey, is there anything I should do to them before installing them?

I'd hate to ruin them and I would ideally like the most from them.

Cheers,
Tom.

Felix2010
2009.10.22, 08:14 AM
Actually ceramics are more durable in regards to prep/cleaning than steel bearings. True ceramics balls used in making a ceramic bearing are impervious to chemicals and are as hard as diamonds. I say "true" ceramic balls because I've heard of diff balls being sold as ceramics but actually are ceramic-coated steel. I have not run across any of these fake ceramics though.... Also you can run ceramic bearings dry without hurting them as much compared with running steel bearings dry. If you want to really see how good your ceramics can be, I recommend cleaning them with motor cleaner or acetone to remove all the factory grease from inside the bearings. This may take some time soaking and spinning and re-soaking. When the bearings spin with barely any effort at all, you've got it. Then you can either run them "dry" (without lube), or you can add a drop of high-end bearing lube - But just a tiny drop! Spin the bearing after applying the lube, then wipe the bearing down good with a paper towel or cloth.
Enjoy your new ceramics:D

Programmers
2009.10.22, 10:53 AM
Lovely! Great advice! Cheers!! I might run them dry...

Action B
2009.10.22, 11:53 AM
Lovely! Great advice! Cheers!! I might run them dry...

I have ceramic bearings in my skateboard. They are extremely durable compared to regular bearings. I've owned them for around 5 years and they are still great. I figure with a Mini-Z, they gotta last forever.

addicted
2009.10.22, 01:49 PM
I have ceramic bearings in my skateboard. They are extremely durable compared to regular bearings. I've owned them for around 5 years and they are still great. I figure with a Mini-Z, they gotta last forever.

hah, good example, me too! :D

you got a full ceramic set Programmers?
i was gonna look into it when i got money, but not sure on pricing, do you have the full set, and then ones for the diff's too?

but yea as said already, running dry actually works very very well

Programmers
2009.10.23, 01:08 AM
you got a full ceramic set Programmers?
i was gonna look into it when i got money, but not sure on pricing, do you have the full set, and then ones for the diff's too?
Yeah man, I got the full set. Can't wait to get them onto a track. Made some huge improvements to my car last night. Really can't wait... :D