PDA

View Full Version : Glitching with the F1 2.4 conversion

briankstan
2009.10.23, 01:35 PM
so this was broght up in another thread and rather than completely hijack that thread with post about this topic. :o I decided to make a thread dedicated to it.

below are the post, it seem that by adding an an antenna to it that is will solve some of the issues.

It's not optimal, but for some reason I ALWAYS have to run an antenna on my 2.4 F1... This may be the case for your particular MR-03 in that environment. Try soldering a little tab on there and mounting an antenna?

Sorry off topic: :o

Joe, can you elaborate on what your F1 is doing? Mine act funny sometimes. Sometimes mine has a weird throttle issued, it feels like it's cutting out. I haven't been able to figure out why it does it. I've replace all the wires the the problem is still there.

I have some glitching with my F1 as well, going to try an antenna as well to see if it helps.

Hmm glitching with the F1 2.4? interesting I don't have any gitching. I converted my AM F1 to 2.4 using an MR02 2.4 board, so far no glitching.

WAAAY off-topic... I've tried 3 difference 2.4 ASF boards in my F1. All glitched. The motor starts cutting out, etc. Put an antenna on it, and it's ROCK SOLID.

Start a new thread in F1 if there are any more questions...

briankstan
2009.10.23, 01:38 PM
WAAAY off-topic... I've tried 3 difference 2.4 ASF boards in my F1. All glitched. The motor starts cutting out, etc. Put an antenna on it, and it's ROCK SOLID.

Start a new thread in F1 if there are any more questions...

this seems to be what mine is doing. I'll have to add and antenna and see if it solved my issue.

do you have a picture of what you did? did you just extend the 2.4 antenna and connect it like the AM board was?

ruf
2009.10.23, 02:08 PM
I just stripped the end off the antenna and soldered on a little tab (old antenna or motor tab will do). Then just screw on an old antenna. Of course, I had to get the fastest color available... :)

EMU
2009.10.25, 02:29 AM
The antenna helped a lot. Thanks for the tip. I should have thought about that before, I have had the same problem with an MR02, but didnt think that it might be the antenna. It was wierd seeing an antenna on the car again.

briankstan
2009.10.25, 11:30 AM
I also installed the antenna yesterday. So far it seems to help as well.

Dusty Weasle
2009.10.25, 11:45 PM
I had a similar problem. The car would begins sputtering and the steering would cut out, like it was turning off and on. At first is was just a little, I wasn't even sure there was a problem. Over a few months it got progressively worse. It would do it rapidly enough I could get around the track, but it cost me races. I tested it other places like our Wi-Fi dense environment at work and it was fine. It seemed to be just our race location.

I've since been running the original AM board but it finally died last week. We're working on the 2.4 again to isolate the problem. We'll have to try the antenna trick. It doesn't make sense though. Its the same board that works in other chassis.

BTW, I also tried drilling a hole in the body so the 2.4 antenna could extend straight up, but to no effect.

Coincidentally, at the same time of my glitching problem, many of us were getting missed laps with our AMB system in F1 only. The transponders worked perfectly in 02's and AWD's. The problem was also progressive as it was just a couple missed laps by one or two cars, but after a few months it was many cars and only a few laps being counted!

We never did figure out the cause, but switched to the Giro-Z. It's been rock-solid reliable.

BTW, I also had a 2.4 in my MR-02 open class. It would run for about 3min and then begin losing the signal. It would just stop, but might move intermittently after that. If I let it sit for a short while it would work for 3min again. I'm thinking that when some important bit warms up it breaks a connection.

briankstan
2009.10.26, 08:17 AM
I installed boards in my Stock MR-02, Modified Pan MR-02, Stock F1, and my Overland. The only one I ever have issues with is my F1. I wonder if it has something to do with the way the batteries are placed under the board? it seems like on the other chassis they are to the side of the board but on the F1 they are right below the board. Just a thought.

is seems pretty consistent with those that have posted here that the throttle cuts in and out. It must have something to do with the F1 Chassis layout specifically.

RussF
2009.10.28, 04:29 PM
I wonder if it has something to do with the way the batteries are placed under the board? it seems like on the other chassis they are to the side of the board but on the F1 they are right below the board. Just a thought.

Another difference might be the metal bridge over the board. It comes very close to the edges. Would just lengthening the short antenna wire soldered to the board do the trick. Has anyone tried that? I dont seem to be having the same trouble with mine (yet) but if it starts I would like to know some things to try.

briankstan
2009.10.28, 05:27 PM
Another difference might be the metal bridge over the board. It comes very close to the edges. Would just lengthening the short antenna wire soldered to the board do the trick. Has anyone tried that? I dont seem to be having the same trouble with mine (yet) but if it starts I would like to know some things to try.

I have been running the Kyosho F1 damper, so I removed the bridge all together. I took off a motor wire and soldered it to the board for the antenna wire leaving the connector to screw the Antenna too. I did have to put the metal bridge back on to mount to it.

ruf
2009.10.28, 06:10 PM
I've tried it with and without the bridge. No change. I think it has to do with the board orientation to the batteries. That's the only thing I can think of.

In any case, the antenna seems to fix the problem. You won't notice it running by yourself at small tracks without a lot of inteference from power wires, etc. If you run with a lot of people on 2.4, or in an electronically "noisy" environment, this is THE solution in my opinion.

Dusty Weasle
2009.11.10, 10:10 PM
Joe was able to get my F1's 2.4 board working by replacing the stock antenna with a slightly longer one made from PN motor wire. Works like a champ so far. We raced at a new location though, so the full test will come when it runs again at the old location.

For the bridge he bent a thin piece of aluminum to fit over the board. The Mono-shock screws into that and everything works normally, no body drilling needed to fit.

RussF
2009.11.11, 10:35 AM
Joe was able to get my F1's 2.4 board working by replacing the stock antenna with a slightly longer one made from PN motor wire. Works like a champ so far. We raced at a new location though, so the full test will come when it runs again at the old location.

For the bridge he bent a thin piece of aluminum to fit over the board. The Mono-shock screws into that and everything works normally, no body drilling needed to fit.

Cool. I thought that might work. Its what I would have tried. :cool:

Tjay
2009.11.11, 01:12 PM
Hello Brian/Eugene/Joe,

I was just wondering, have you guys tried using half the length of that stock antenna instead of the full length? Just curious.

briankstan
2009.11.11, 01:45 PM
Hello Brian/Eugene/Joe,

I was just wondering, have you guys tried using half the length of that stock antenna instead of the full length? Just curious.

the board in my F1 really has a problem, it lost it range completely only works from about 4ft. anything over that and nothing. I had to put another 2.4 board in it. so far I haven't had any issues.

our next race is tomorrow so I'll know more after the races.

I was going to try and install the old board in an MR-02 and see if it was specific to being in the F1 or if it just went bad.