PDA

View Full Version : $200 smoke show

dvsstrike
2009.10.24, 04:37 PM
well.... my buddy just received his new mro3 today. well... bind it and smoked. it went forward real slow and when i tried to go reverse magic blue smoke erupted in the air.. it has a burnt fet. sucks! he is not liking this at all. will post pic later. oh yeah this happen about an hour ago

mk2kompressor
2009.10.24, 05:27 PM
:confused:
he just used it from stock out of the box?

Jace1283
2009.10.24, 06:01 PM
took it out of the box and swapped the rear end from a mr-02 he's racing with right now again in the trustworthy mr02. Stockplastic rear rm mount with pn 70t stock motor. front tires changed but stock suspension. went forward slow, then went into reverse and pop. everything was in the correct spot, no rookies here. fet popped massively, like nothing ive seen, looks like a big silver wart.

CristianTabush
2009.10.24, 06:40 PM
Check the motor connections. The throttle FET pads now crossover much more on the motor terminals than before... The PN "screw on" motor terminals are much too big and cause the motor terminals to short out the FET pads. I would definitely recommend to solder the wires on to the board, just to prevent accidents...

dahlis
2009.10.25, 04:44 AM
Yes, it's the contactplates on the motorcable that cause this shortcut.
We have put out out a warning in the mr03 thread about this.
Just put in new fets and you are good to go, remember to change or modifie the contactplates.

mk2kompressor
2009.10.25, 03:13 PM
the best pic i could take with this camera:o

they have rotated the micro cap between the motor terminals,now possible to short the motor outputs with round motor wire eyelets

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mk2kompressor/MR-03/DSCF4234.jpg

you have to do this to your motor connectors to avoid popping the fets completely

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o130/mk2kompressor/MR-03/DSCF4235.jpg

arch2b
2009.10.25, 03:15 PM
good pictures. simple snip with some wire cutters should take car of those motor lead terminals.

doug01n
2009.10.26, 05:22 AM
Is there a way to isolate this micro-cap? I don't know... maybe hot glue or something like...?

mk2kompressor
2009.10.26, 06:23 AM
the motor connectors would still cut through:(

x_zminiracer
2009.10.26, 09:38 AM
OK the car is mine and NO I AM NOT HAPPY! I'm 'old', (47) wear bi-focal, so just put in new FET s isn't a practical option for me (I can't see to do this kind of work anymore). We / I did nothing to the car that is inconsistent with its designed purpose, there were no warnings about this design flaw. I appreciate the advise for when I do get my 03 back. It is therefore my stand that the 03 design is flawed in the manner described here and Kyosho needs to address the design or give clear, unmistakable warnings. At present I am looking for the number to call them and get a RA, then hopefully packing it back up and sending it off today, Anybody have their number?

Half
2009.10.26, 10:36 AM
OK the car is mine and NO I AM NOT HAPPY! I'm 'old', (47) wear bi-focal, so just put in new FET s isn't a practical option for me (I can't see to do this kind of work anymore). We / I did nothing to the car that is inconsistent with its designed purpose, there were no warnings about this design flaw. I appreciate the advise for when I do get my 03 back. It is therefore my stand that the 03 design is flawed in the manner described here and Kyosho needs to address the design or give clear, unmistakable warnings. At present I am looking for the number to call them and get a RA, then hopefully packing it back up and sending it off today, Anybody have their number?

True, but you modify your mr-03 at your own risk... :S
So you're responsible for shortcircuit the cables/connectors.

dxm2
2009.10.26, 10:47 AM
Hey X, I'm 47 too and thought the exact same thing when I read your post. If my new car blew up like this, no way I'm soldering new fets in it. I'm packing it up and trying to get a replacement. ( More power to the guys who can do this type of work, but I tend to cause more problems when I try doing it, and thats not really the point, is it?) This does look like a design flaw and Kyosho needs to fix it. Good luck and keep us posted. I

dxm2
2009.10.26, 10:53 AM
No. Why does kyosho use screw on connectors for the motor if they don't want users changing out motors? I submit that user modification is "part and parcel" to this product and the placement of the motor terminals is too close to make this aspect of the product reasonably useable. Of course, I haven't even received mine yet.....:)

x_zminiracer
2009.10.26, 11:24 AM
True, but you modify your mr-03 at your own risk... :S
So you're responsible for short circuit the cables/connectors.

I in no way modified the MR03. Did nothing more than convert it to the RM configuration, parts to do so are included in the chassis kit. Though it has happened to other besides me, there were no indications that there may be a short circuit potential problem. The thing is (supposed to be) designed to have the motors changed for others in the same class of motor. I can see your point if I had modified the electronics, but that isn't the case. Where I stand is, in the course of normal use, normal routine changing of the motor may lead to an installation condition where the motor leads may touch(?), this should be either redesigned or sufficient warnings given. You would think with the many years of experience represented in our club, that any such condition would have been easily recognized. We had no indication anything was not as it should be until the mysterious blue smoke...

x_zminiracer
2009.10.26, 11:43 AM
Just got off the phone with Kyosho CS, they are sending me the RA via e-mail, representative stating to me as this is the first one returned that it would be a 1 day turn around and would be written up as priority status, as the model had yet to be run / raced and therefor is not abused.(yes i told them what i did which was converted it to RM configuration from the MM and what happened when we went to bind and do radio checks) SO at this point I am happy with CS and guess we will see how over all happy I am with the resolution in a few days.

Half
2009.10.26, 11:51 AM
normal routine changing of the motor may lead to an installation condition where the motor leads may touch(?)

if you change the motor you're modifying your car. if you change the wheels with products that do not came up from Kyosho you're modifying your mr03, etc, etc...
The person is responsible for his acts, and even if you substitute the motor with a Kyosho motor, the process of instalation is conducted by you, therefore you're responsible if anything goes wrong due to wrong instalations (wich eventually, even with poorly design, it is the case we are discussing).

i'm not saying that it may not be a design fault, just saying that even with any design problem, you're responsible for checking up if the instalation was well conducted.

dunno if my english is best in expression my point of view.

arch2b
2009.10.26, 11:56 AM
it's clearly an oversight on kyo part. you can not ship a pcb that does not allow for proper installation of stock parts shipped with the kit by the average person in the target audience. there may be fine print to address this i don't know? anyone actually read all the manual and terms of agreement?

i would not place a lot of faith in a redesign happening anytime soon. think of all the kits now produced, shipped and being sold and the current production schedule... i'm not saying it is't warranted but i don't see them moving quickly. it may be a different story if warranty service request skyrocket though.

can you clarify what kyosho asks in terms of usage/condition? i'd hate to think that is someone had said they actually raced it, even if stock out of the box for 1 race, it wouldn't be covered anymore and consider it wear and tear/abuse.

mleemor60
2009.10.26, 11:58 AM
Just got off the phone with Kyosho CS, they are sending me the RA via e-mail, representative stating to me as this is the first one returned that it would be a 1 day turn around and would be written up as priority status, as the model had yet to be run / raced and therefor is not abused.(yes i told them what i did which was converted it to RM configuration from the MM and what happened when we went to bind and do radio checks) SO at this point I am happy with CS and guess we will see how over all happy I am with the resolution in a few days.

Glad it worked out.

dvsstrike
2009.10.26, 04:42 PM
Half
your kiddin right.

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 05:10 PM
Hi X,

I hope this helps. :)

Kyosho Corporation of America
20322 Valencia Circle
Lake Forest, CA 92630-8158
USA.
Main Phone: (949) 454-8854
Sales / Customer Service: (800) 716-4518

D
oops i was late again

x_zminiracer
2009.10.26, 09:38 PM
Thanks;mleemor60 mini-d, arch.
The Representative imply ed to me as i had not yet used the car in any manner (except to assemble it and then try testing it) that because it was in new, and not abused condition, it then is covered under warn-tee.(new out of the box and it goes pop( He was clear that he only mentioned used/abused condition because he has to as company policy and that would have no bearing with my issue)).
Guess in other words Arch, that if you run around the track, throttle pegged, for example, beating up you ca,r and then try to send it in under warn-tee, isn't going to work and would then be referred to the repairs (for hire of course) department.

arch2b
2009.10.26, 09:44 PM
but who determines what is abuse? is running it full throttle around a large track in a race abuse? where is the line drawn for wear and tear and faulty equipment, which is the common opinion really.

in reality, it comes down to how truthful you are when describing the use i guess. easy to say it was right of the box and clean the car real good, slap some clean stock parts on, etc.

x_zminiracer
2009.10.26, 10:19 PM
define, exactly, thats where they get you.
I suppose that if I had run the car normally, not incurred any 'crash' damage , shown excess wear, and been within the 'time limit' (see the fine print?), that it may well have been covered. at least thats how things came across to me in our conversation though the time limit thing was never mentioned. Ruining the car full throttle isn't abuse, running it into the wall @ full throttle.., different story.
There isn't any aftermarket parts for this model yet, (Dirty, clean, or other wise) so i didn't have to work that hard for it Arch :P the mm pod was put back on and just the bare chassis returned as per CS request.

MINI-D
2009.10.27, 01:30 AM
Hi X,

I am happy :) for you, and the good info. you gave us all. :D

THANKS

D

x_zminiracer
2009.10.30, 09:43 AM
Got a call from Kyo America yesterday, My MR03 has had its PC board replaced and the top cover that was damaged by the heat from the FET meltdown, has been bench tested OK and was going into the mail that day. In and out of there the same day, it's on the way back to me and will be here in a few days.
guess it's a good thing for me half doesn't work for CS :P
I saw what CT did to his 03, seems some of the 02 parts fit the 03. SO guess i will be 'modifying' mine when i get it back and 'broken in' (what is the white stuff used for polishing the king pins?)
This is my first time having to deal with CS and warn-tee with Kyo and must say that the reputation for excellent service is well deserved.
YW D

MantisMMA
2009.10.31, 08:53 PM
MINE JUST DID THE SAME FREAKIN THING, I AM SOOOO PISSED OFF I ONLY CHANGED THE MOTOR POD. AND I CLIPPED THE LEAD WIRES AND DID NOT USE A SCREW AT ALL ON THE REAR SET OF MOUNTING POINTS, I DROVE THE CAR ABOUT 3 LAPS AND NOTICED IT WOUld NOT GO INTO REVERSE SO I PUT IT ON THE BENCH AND WHILe I WAS ADJUSTING THE TH PTS IT POPPED AND SMOKED. Whe i first bound it the steering was making a glitching noise but did not wiggle i also had to bind it twic because it lost its bind and a few times it would just stop working all together and all of sudden work properly. this is bullhsit obviously there is a problem with something in these boards

bermbuster
2009.11.01, 07:56 AM
Me and my racing buddy at Majs had our first two MR-03s go up just like you Mantis. We follow the threads and made sure our chassis were prepped correctly. We both bought 2 MR-03s.... Now it gets better(worse)
last night racing during the A main my buddies 03 started hesitating going slow...batteries dumping? No it was Puff the Magic Dragon....
Guys his FET burn up melted through the lower chassis into the battery compartment. Talk about being PISSED he had $400 worth of mini z burn up in a week....We all looked at his 2nd chassis and nothing was touching NADA....

I have to say this my 2nd 03 is running freaking awesome and I can drive it faster and better than any of my stock mr-02s. Once Kyosho straightens out the board situation the platform will be amazing.....

Felix2010
2009.11.01, 08:48 AM
This is crazy stuff guys. If the problem is not the tiny capacitor in-between the motor pads, and it is not the two rear-most top-chassis mounting holes touching the wires/Fets, then what the hell is going on with these boards?:mad: I feel you pain guys, I am in dread every time I switch mine on now. I'm waiting to see what happens with these boards. It could be a bad batch of Fets, or it could be faulty PCB soldering connections from the factory. But if that's the case, there's A LOT of people with MR03's that could blow-up at any time without notice. Def not good.:(

Thanks for all the info though everyone about the potential hazards in using aftermarket motors and what-not. I am a motor fanatic, and I switch motors CONSTANTLY. If it wasn't for this forum my 03 would have probably cooked the first time out.

doug01n
2009.11.02, 06:01 PM
Hi guys....

I'm from Brazil, received my MR-03 on fryday, and put it to run on saturday. Worked with a strange glitch on the steering system. Than, I put the PN-70T motor... 2 laps and stoped, white smoke. I don't know what happened, as i took the care of cutting the screw holes from the motor.

I don't know what can i do, 'cause the car don't turn on again anymore. It's dead now, even the red led is working.

Any sugestions?

Traveler
2009.11.02, 06:14 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear that! :( You should be able to send it to Kyosho for repair/replacement.

PadrinoNY
2009.11.02, 06:50 PM
Has anybody considered that maybe it's the hipot settings on the KoPropo radios compared to the setting from the KT-18? Just a hunch :confused: or does someone out there has burnt one using a kt-18?

MantisMMA
2009.11.02, 09:45 PM
i dont really see how, but anything is posible. mine is getting re fet'd tomorrow so we will see if that works.

herman
2009.11.03, 02:20 AM
man... that is sad... up in smoke...

maybe as a warning to anybody considering an mr03, maybe we can make this a sticky?
this kinda thing makes you kinda want tim from kyosho back... wonder if anybody from kyosho is lurking on these pages... and wondering what is kyosho's official release regarding this smoking issue...

JeremyC
2009.11.03, 07:22 AM
man... that is sad... up in smoke...

maybe as a warning to anybody considering an mr03, maybe we can make this a sticky?
this kinda thing makes you kinda want tim from kyosho back... wonder if anybody from kyosho is lurking on these pages... and wondering what is kyosho's official release regarding this smoking issue...

What bothers me is that we have had a couple posts implying that the motor wires did not touch the center capacitor. If that is the case it implies that an even more serious design flaw exists; one that we can't avoid by being careful.

MantisMMA
2009.11.03, 04:14 PM
well rocha and i took my board out at atomicmods this morning to hopefull fet it but it completely burned the pads off of the board! i mean it just about dropped the fet off completely, one thing that we noticed is that one of the switch wires was touching the upper inside fet and the insulation was off where it touched. now this could have caused the problem quite easily and i think it did but also the heat generated from the fet could have also done it either way the board is screwed and will need to be replaced... on a good note we just put an mr02 board into it with minor modifications and it workd fine except that the steering is backwards. since the servo wires are so small and really short swapping them would be a pain!

MantisMMA
2009.11.03, 04:15 PM
when the 03 boards are available i will get a new one , FET it and try again

EMU
2009.11.03, 04:20 PM
I assume that the MR02 board works fine after reversing the steering channel on the TX... Thats good to know, thanks for the info.

arch2b
2009.11.03, 04:30 PM
dare i say the current mr-03 boards have a higher failure rate than the mr-01 given the short time frame they have been out and the numerous reports of similar instances of fets being burnt out.

herman
2009.11.03, 08:22 PM
just wondering how could this happen... not enough testing perhaps? could it be just a bad batch of boards... or worse... are all them like that? the mystery continues...

herman
2009.11.03, 08:24 PM
hey arch why not making this a sticky?
or include it on your MR-03 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32451) post?

arch2b
2009.11.03, 08:42 PM
because until this is confirmed or address by kyosho, it's just a select group of members of mzr reporting an uncanny spat of similar bad luck. we know the mr-01 boards are not faulty, just sensitive. this could prove the case for the mr-02 board as well.

i just don't feel we have the global numbers to create a panic. lets see what our european, latin and asian groups report.

bermbuster
2009.11.03, 08:43 PM
What bothers me is that we have had a couple posts implying that the motor wires did not touch the center capacitor. If that is the case it implies that an even more serious design flaw exists; one that we can't avoid by being careful.

I had such a board and was told by the Kyosho tech that it was a bad FET that took out my board.

MantisMMA
2009.11.03, 09:50 PM
my motor wires did not touch i mad sure of it!! rocha (atomic mods ) has had numerous failures and his personal car did the same thing but he fet'd it before it fryed and it works fine now.

MantisMMA
2009.11.03, 09:52 PM
because until this is confirmed or address by kyosho, it's just a select group of members of mzr reporting an uncanny spat of similar bad luck. we know the mr-01 boards are not faulty, just sensitive. this could prove the case for the mr-02 board as well.

i just don't feel we have the global numbers to create a panic. lets see what our european, latin and asian groups report.

i havent heard or seen this many 02 boards randomly fail ever!! my car was not bad luck, i know what i am doing!!

bermbuster
2009.11.04, 04:44 AM
i havent heard or seen this many 02 boards randomly fail ever!! my car was not bad luck, i know what i am doing!!

I had an 02 board fail.....A FET fell off (cold solder joints)

JeremyC
2009.11.04, 08:56 AM
I had an 02 board fail.....A FET fell off (cold solder joints)

I think the best we can hope for is that the FETs are defective.. That is something we can resolve on our own, and update boards that are questionable. If it is a defect in the boards Kyosho is going to have to update the design and start shipping new boards.

bermbuster
2009.11.04, 05:05 PM
I think the best we can hope for is that the FETs are defective.. That is something we can resolve on our own, and update boards that are questionable. If it is a defect in the boards Kyosho is going to have to update the design and start shipping new boards.

The tricky thing w a bad FET is a total meltdown will ruin the pcb.
Im hoping I dont see anymore of Puff for a while.

herman
2009.11.05, 10:33 PM

it wasn't my intention to create a panic... and i do agree that it seems like a small number of isolated cases... but for me, it's more of concern... something to think about... before handing over hard earned mulah...

as i mentioned earlier... kinda makes you wish that tim was still at kyosho...
given his rapport with all the guys on the forum, he could have easily given us what the official word is at the big k... in terms of what happened, and what is being done...

:D

Felix2010
2009.11.05, 10:45 PM
my motor wires did not touch i mad sure of it!! rocha (atomic mods ) has had numerous failures and his personal car did the same thing but he fet'd it before it fryed and it works fine now.

How many has AtomicMods come across (Mr Rocha) round about? Also, did he Fet his car and then his car blew up, or did his car blow up and then he re-Fetted his car and since everything has been fine? JUst wondering, because if he Fetted his 03 and it fried even AFTER he Fetted it then this may not be a bad 3010 Fet problem.

Thanks for the info

bermbuster
2009.11.06, 06:52 AM
it wasn't my intention to create a panic... and i do agree that it seems like a small number of isolated cases... but for me, it's more of concern... something to think about... before handing over hard earned mulah...

as i mentioned earlier... kinda makes you wish that tim was still at kyosho...
given his rapport with all the guys on the forum, he could have easily given us what the official word is at the big k... in terms of what happened, and what is being done...

:D

Im not sure of the total number of 03 sales in North America but I sent my 03 in and it was repaired. I was told so far to date Kyosho USA has recieved 6 for repairs.

Im not trying to start a rumor but the initial release amounts of the MR-03 was reduced by Kyosho at the last minute??? Why???
Im curious as to how many units were actually released.

arch2b
2009.11.06, 07:35 AM
the initial order was small, they usually are. any shop ordering from kyo knows this and to some extent expects this. they claim x will be available and routinly come up short on order fulfillments. the current model is, you place your order and you simply get what you get. could be all or could be a fraction of your order, usually the latter. just so happens that the shop here lucked out and got a good chunk of our order as they are still available here. some shops only got a pittance. it's not uncommon though so i would not read to much into it.

yes, we all miss tim. we were spoiled in having a responsive representative member from kyosho here. he is sorely missed.

i do agree in that the small number of cars distributed in the initial order, there seems to be an unusually high number of failures. it's not been high enough to say the entire line is bad though in my opinion warranting a parade to kyo usa claiming updated boards, just yet. lets wait and see what happens as the 2nd batch hits the shelves and see what happens when greater numbers are here before lighting the torches and grabbing pitch forks.:p
we have yet to hear of the same thing happening in most other countries (doesn't mean it's not though). a few here and there but not apparently the same frequency as there are domestically here or they simply are not being reported publicly overseas. any of our asian and ue members care to do some detective work and find out what kyo is doing in asia and eu?

my theory is likely a bad run of fets in the first production batch but thats just my theory based on forum reading. that and simply lots of people getting a car they are not familiar with ie; the servo noise complaints, etc. lets be honest, the mr-03 kind of took us by surprise (those without connections). it's by far the quickest release from a model launched at a trade show that i can recall. there hasn't been much in the way of pre-release reviews other than maybe 2-3 youtube video's. they really managed to keep this launch under wraps much better than say the mr-02. in prior years, new stuff was routinly being leaked in trade shows long before launch. kyo usa as usual, lags behind which i still find akward. how does one hand not know what the other is doing?

mantis, i never claimed you didn't know what your doing. yes, there were mr-02 failures all those years ago, definately not to the same degree however. i don't recall them occurring in nearly the same frequency at the time of launch. i do recall getting the emails however for shop repairs.

the upside, if you can see any, is that apparently kyo usa is prompt in addressing the repairs. i would suggest that the average person buying a car that has had a failure contact kyo usa for repairs vs. attempting to fix it yourself. one you start tinkering with the board, it's yours, problems and all.

Felix2010
2009.11.06, 10:36 AM
Arch2b, ya - you are right about Kyosho standing behind their products and promptly repairing the FET failures, which is very good to know. Overall I am very happy with my MR03. I tend to agree with you that bad MOSFET's seem to be the problem, with a few short-circuits thrown into the mix as well. I opened my 03 chassis up just to be sure no wires were touching anything like Mantis mentioned he saw on his car, and I did notice that a few of the wire and solder connections on the PCB were very close to each other; And the ON/OFF switch's metal "spike" solder/wire leads are Very long, and could possibly touch the underside of the PCB when the top chassis cover and the motor leads are screwed-down tightly. Just to be sure, I wrapped a tiny-bit electrical tape around the exposed parts of wire I saw, and put a piece of electrical tape in-between the underside of the PCB and the ON/OFF switch.

Hopefully this problem really isn't a "problem" so-to-speak, and everything is resolved with upcoming 03's. I have always been very pleased with the quality of Kyosho products, and the MR03 is no exception.:D

Big Thanks to all that brought attention to the possible FET and short-circuit issue. Probably saved my 03!

doug01n
2009.11.06, 05:18 PM
My MR-03 burned the fets as soon as I installed the PN-70 motor on it. I'm talking to Philip (kenon) to see what can I do about it. I'll keep you guys up to date. I'm from Brazil.

dxm2
2009.11.06, 05:27 PM
Hi Doug,

Did you run your car at all before putting the 70 turn in? I haven't received mine yet, but I think it will help to get as much info out as possible.

Thnks

Tjay
2009.11.06, 06:52 PM
Oh so this is that thread that everyone is referring to...

Anyway, Im on my way to the shop right now and I dont have time to read the entire post. If this hasn't been posted, I'm posting it. If it has, sorry for the repost. :)

Evidently, those of you that blew their fets has a non-stock motor. From what I was told and I did experienced it. Make sure that the eye-let/motor wire tabs that goes on the board are not touching the fets. I'm referring to the positive side. You can screw in the already trimmed eye-let/tab but it can still touch the left and right fets on top of the board. Make sure they dont touch.

That is it. Thanks!

MantisMMA
2009.11.06, 09:49 PM
How many has AtomicMods come across (Mr Rocha) round about? Also, did he Fet his car and then his car blew up, or did his car blow up and then he re-Fetted his car and since everything has been fine? JUst wondering, because if he Fetted his 03 and it fried even AFTER he Fetted it then this may not be a bad 3010 Fet problem.

Thanks for the info

roberts a pretty slick dude and has been doin mini z since the beginning and does all of the fet jobs that come through atomic!! with that being said he said that his car was acting funny when he first got it with the throttle cuting off and having to rebind ETC ETC. so he decided to fet it and since he fet'd it it is normal now.

Felix2010
2009.11.07, 02:30 PM
roberts a pretty slick dude and has been doin mini z since the beginning and does all of the fet jobs that come through atomic!! with that being said he said that his car was acting funny when he first got it with the throttle cuting off and having to rebind ETC ETC. so he decided to fet it and since he fet'd it it is normal now.

I checked out the quick-review 03 video on A.M.'s site, and Robert sure drove his 03 super-clean on that tiny Mini-96 test track they have set up. Pretty cool.:) Seems like a good guy too.

About the stock 3010 Fets - So does Robert think the problem was(is) with the stock Fets? Seems to me that could be a logical culprit for the failures. I know that you have to be careful with the motor wire hook-up as well.

Just for safety's sake, I opened up my 03 chassis and I noticed on the back of the ON/OFF switch it has metal "spikes" where the wires get soldered onto. These are Very long, and could possibly touch the PCB when tightening the motor wires down (and even possibly when fastening-down the top chassis cover, depending on how things were assembled from the factory). If the wires were routed past the Fets, and the insulation was not all the way protecting the wire, then that could be bad. I put a small piece of electrical tape in-between the ON/OFF switch and the underside of the PCB to be safe. I also noticed that where the power wires and the ON/OFF switch wires are soldered to the PCB, the wire insulation was not completely covering the wire to the ends, and these could get crossed and cause a short.

The problem with FETs blowing-up could be any of a number of things, but these are a few I am concerned with.

Hope this info helps:) And Thank You to everyone for their input on this issue!

bermbuster
2009.11.07, 04:46 PM
the upside, if you can see any, is that apparently kyo usa is prompt in addressing the repairs. i would suggest that the average person buying a car that has had a failure contact kyo usa for repairs vs. attempting to fix it yourself. one you start tinkering with the board, it's yours, problems and all.

Kyosho is doing a great job. Anytime something new is released there are potential problems whether Kyosho made or mini z enthusiast made.

That is the price you pay to be the first at the track w a new chassis....
Its awesome to see how all the racers are rallying to find possible causes and fixes. The truth w the new chassis is the electronics are now in a more confined area and things that werent so critical now are.....
Now lets get those hop ups.....:cool:

Tjay
2009.11.07, 08:21 PM
I almost blew my fets today, damn! I don't want to mess with the board yet. Not until someone figures out what is up with the "glitch" problem. Anyhow, I had to trimmed the eyelet/motor tab to almost like hair line and used countersunk screw to make sure that it is not touching anything. After all that, the car worked perfectly. Please read more on our blog.

New guys; be very, very careful puting a new motor in. You can definitely blow your fets if not careful.

JeremyC
2009.11.08, 09:25 AM
I almost blew my fets today, damn! I don't want to mess with the board yet. Not until someone figures out what is up with the "glitch" problem. Anyhow, I had to trimmed the eyelet/motor tab to almost like hair line and used countersunk screw to make sure that it is not touching anything. After all that, the car worked perfectly. Please read more on our blog.

New guys; be very, very careful puting a new motor in. You can definitely blow your fets if not careful.

I want to know for sure if it is simply the motor connectors or if it is FET issues. This will have a big impact on the used MR-03 market unless there is a clear way to tell which board revision you are selling/buying.

-Jer

Felix2010
2009.11.08, 11:24 AM

Good catch TJ, sorry you ran into this problem.
I replaced the stock 98mm-WB Kyosho motor pod with the Kyosho 102mm-WB plastic motor pod so I could try the LM bodies with this front-end. I used the stock motor that came with my LM chassis set. When everything was hooked up, and I was very careful after all the blown-Fet reports, the bind process went perfect and everything looked great. The steering worked, but when I hit the throttle, nothing. Now this is with the car off the ground too, I had the chassis resting on a PN setup sponge. I immediately turned the car off, and I also poped-out the batteries. I unscrewed the motor leads and then screwed them down again, re-checking everything. I turned the car back on ( I did not have to re-bind, that worked fine the 1st time), and this time, throttle worked flawlessly.

I haven't had time to examine the PCB closely, but I am wondering if there is some sort of negative-ground running all-over the PCB? Also, with the revision of the RA-22PCB unit, there might be a few places where the PCB traces are exposed (Purposely or not) and like someone mentioned before, Kyosho is squeezing every-last-bit of stuff into a very small space.

My Fets are still good after a couple packs of cells, so I'm hoping I'm OK as long as I am very cautious when changing motors.:)

BTW - Thanks to everyone on the "M.H.S. Racing Discussion" thread under the Tracks&GTG's - Maj's Hobby Shop thread. There are lots of good info posted on there:)

Tjay
2009.11.08, 12:52 PM
I want to know for sure if it is simply the motor connectors or if it is FET issues. This will have a big impact on the used MR-03 market unless there is a clear way to tell which board revision you are selling/buying.

-Jer

Hi Jer,

I highly doubt it's the FET issue. I don't think it's the installers fault either. I believe it's how kyosho designed the board. Too compact, everything is way too close to each other.

-------------------
If you plan to change your motor, I think your best bet is to desolder the motor wire from the motor (referring to stock OEM motor wire) without unscrewing the motor tabs on the board. This is to keep everything safe but I'm only speaking for those who are new in this hobby and wants to upgrade their motor.

Just be very, very careful when installing those tabs. Make sure they don't touch anything but the +/- polarities on the board.

Reason why I dont want to change/blow my fets is because I think that the glitch "maybe" is coming from those who had touched their boards... Perhaps ground yourself prior to touching it.

John-NYC
2009.11.17, 01:42 PM
I cooked my FETS also on my MR-03. Mailing back to Kyosoho today. Spoke to them and they say I am the 8th person with the problem. I explained to them I switched motors and even dremeled down the eylets on the new motor as to make them small so they do not touch anything and it still smoked. Hopefully turn around will be quick back to me. They say I should have used the wires that come with the stock motor and just un-solder from the motor and leave the eylets and screws in place. Too late now. That would have been nice to know before.

Half
2009.11.17, 02:21 PM
I cooked my FETS also on my MR-03. Mailing back to Kyosoho today. Spoke to them and they say I am the 8th person with the problem. I explained to them I switched motors and even dremeled down the eylets on the new motor as to make them small so they do not touch anything and it still smoked. Hopefully turn around will be quick back to me. They say I should have used the wires that come with the stock motor and just un-solder from the motor and leave the eylets and screws in place. Too late now. That would have been nice to know before.

That sucks... If anything similar happens to me i'm doomed, cuz there ain't any kyosho dealer around. how you contacted Kyosho? My gtr came with no front bumper :S
Guess If I get a 70T, i'll unwire the motor itself rather the "simple" screws...

Tjay
2009.11.17, 02:35 PM
That sucks... If anything similar happens to me i'm doomed, cuz there ain't any kyosho dealer around. how you contacted Kyosho? My gtr came with no front bumper :S
Guess If I get a 70T, i'll unwire the motor itself rather the "simple" screws...

Front bumper or front clip? Clip should be inside those little parts bags.

To keep it safe, test your car first with everything stock and see if throttle and steering works. If everything works and you want to change the motor, desolder the wire from the motor and use the stock factory motor wires. The idea is to not touch the motor tabs that is screwed into the board. This is how most of the guys blow their fets. Even I almost blew mine and I was very, very careful.

Mine is already soldered because eventually the screw will come loose and if it does,... blown fets. So, soldering it by using a small amount of solder should keep that motor wire in place but for those newer drivers or hobbyist, just check the screw from time to time.

JeremyC
2009.11.17, 03:01 PM
Pro/con list of soldering wires to board

Pros:

Makes reusing more flexible wires a bit easier
When changing motors you won't have to mess with the DDS
Don't have to worry about stripping screw holes where motor leads attach.
Shouldn't have to reroute as much to prevent binding the rear when changing motors

Cons:

Necessary to have a soldering station in order to change your motor.
If you haven't soldered before it could be intimidating and/or problematic.

briankstan
2009.11.17, 03:07 PM

That is the crappy way out. If the motor wires touching has something to do with the fets blowing than this board is really designed bad, it's not like they gained any more room with making the boards that much smaller, what the other 2.4 board wasn't small enough? There is really no excuse for them to produce a product that requires the motor wires to be screwed on, and then tell the consumer not use that method. That is simply passing the blame to their customer and in my opinion a bad customer service rep. The design is for the motor to screw on, and even Kyosho motors come with wires attached so to expect the customer to do something different is absurd. http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/Smileys/ellow_red/police.gif

Old Crow
2009.11.17, 03:12 PM
I'm not sure if this was posted already, but my MR-03 had raised motor terminals, as if it keep the motor tabs off the board. Is everyone's like this, or is this a change? No problems so far, but the servo is noisy as stated before.

Half
2009.11.17, 03:18 PM
Front bumper or front clip? Clip should be inside those little parts bags.

To keep it safe, test your car first with everything stock and see if throttle and steering works. If everything works and you want to change the motor, desolder the wire from the motor and use the stock factory motor wires. The idea is to not touch the motor tabs that is screwed into the board. This is how most of the guys blow their fets. Even I almost blew mine and I was very, very careful.

Mine is already soldered because eventually the screw will come loose and if it does,... blown fets. So, soldering it by using a small amount of solder should keep that motor wire in place but for those newer drivers or hobbyist, just check the screw from time to time.

That little front white (Has I seen on some picture) thing to hold the body.
Yep I know, it was supposed to come in the "start pack", but nothing there white lol... all parts are there, except that one...

JeremyC
2009.11.17, 03:19 PM
I'm not sure if this was posted already, but my MR-03 had raised motor terminals, as if it keep the motor tabs off the board. Is everyone's like this, or is this a change? No problems so far, but the servo is noisy as stated before.

Can you take pictures of this? From the boards I have seen the terminals are flush to the PCB.

-Jer

dxm2
2009.11.17, 03:24 PM
I agree. Desoldering the motor seems crazy and indcates that something is really designed poorly. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but the whole idea of the motor screw tabs causing this issue seems strange. There have been users on this forum who have blown their fets even being very careful and triming their tabs down. Something just doesn't seem to add up..... I won't receive my MR-03 for awhile because I ordered the Porsche, but I'm hopeful this issue is resolved by the time it arrives. If it isn't, I suppose I'll solder a set of Dean's Micro plugs on the end of the "Never Touch These Wires or your Fets will Blow" wires. NTTWOYFWB for short.

bermbuster
2009.11.17, 03:33 PM

Can you post a pic of the raised tabs???

Old Crow
2009.11.18, 07:54 PM
It just looks like extra souder(sp?) on the main board, where the motor tabs get screwed into. It is not flush on the board, just raised a little.

dxm2
2009.11.19, 10:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone out there who has blown their fets AFTER soldering the motor wires to the PCB? Or after they changed motors by desoldering the stock wires at the motor and resoldering a new motor in?

bermbuster
2009.11.26, 12:09 PM
It just looks like extra souder(sp?) on the main board, where the motor tabs get screwed into. It is not flush on the board, just raised a little.

I just got home from a business trip and I opened the box from Kyosho.
My replacement board has the raised tabs...

Brandon
2009.11.26, 03:46 PM
I just bought my MR03 on Tuesday of this week. Mine is supposed to have come from the second batch of production. I have yet to run it on a track. I did manage to run it around on the carpet in my apartment. Asides from the noisy steering servo, which I have read is normal, my 03 is trouble free. I replaced the motor with a Speedy07. I just filed the sides of the tabs that were next to the center line of the chassis. That gave me all of clearance I needed to stay away from the component in between the motor terminals.

herman
2009.11.26, 09:09 PM
I just got home from a business trip and I opened the box from Kyosho.
My replacement board has the raised tabs...

wonder if somebody can post comparison pics... pls... :D

JeremyC
2009.11.26, 10:09 PM
wonder if somebody can post comparison pics... pls... :D

Yeah.. Pics or it didn't happen.

bermbuster
2009.11.27, 06:30 AM
Yeah.. Pics or it didn't happen.

I know Pictures are worth a 1000 words....
here is what the raised pads look like.....

Traveler
2009.11.27, 08:11 AM
Oh, that's clear!:D Of course my camera isn't any better...

I think my new MR-03 has what's being described as raised pads. It almost looks like someone added some solder around the inside edge of the pad. Certainly doesn't look machine made, more like someone with not very good soldering skills added the solder there.

Is this what your's looks like???

John-NYC
2009.11.27, 12:28 PM
Yes, Mine came back raised or looking like they added solder around the area where the eyleys for the motor go. Mine must be from the second batch also. When they called me to tell me it was repaired they said it was a manufacturer error/defect and nothing I did wrong by putting on a new motor.

pfcparts
2009.11.27, 07:14 PM
One of the 03s I kept has this...

They were first runs which leads
me to believe they are variations and not
true fixes. The solder isn't enough to where
it actually clears the capacitor or whatever
that thing is in the middle...

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3880/200911270076.th.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=200911270076.jpg)

My guess is some of the tabs were probably a
little off or crapped when they did the qc and
K went back and fixed them. The other ones
I run have perfect tabs and also work fine.

parts

dvsstrike
2009.11.28, 10:47 PM
raised tabs .. raised tabs...!! that shizz looks like a washer soldered to the friggen boards omg!:eek: that's friggen horrible.i thought my buddies was a fluke, but i guess not! that fix looks like crap!:mad: i hope when mine arrives it don't look like that if it does on the bay it goes.

figgen soldered washers.. sheez

bermbuster
2009.11.28, 11:02 PM
raised tabs .. raised tabs...!! that shizz looks like a washer soldered to the friggen boards omg!:eek: that's friggen horrible.i thought my buddies was a fluke, but i guess not! that fix looks like crap!:mad: i hope when mine arrives it don't look like that if it does on the bay it goes.

figgen soldered washers.. sheez

no washers just pigeon poop :eek: i mean solder.....:D

MantisMMA
2009.11.29, 11:20 PM
well i got my second one saturday and it is a better car than the first one by far! i was scared to even put it together but decided scew it, if it burns it burns and right after i said that another local racers 03 (from the first batch) burned up!! so i moved ahead and put together as a 94mm with the new 08 STI body, bound it and prayed for the best!! it worked flawless and i didnt even have the infamous steering glitch that my first one did! and the front suspension felt smoother than my other car even after i spend hours trying to get it smooth. this board had the raised solder on the pads too.

Traveler
2009.11.30, 04:45 AM
Marcus,

I was thinking about running one of the new Subarus on an 03. How did it handle and which front does it require N or W? Also what offsets did you use?

Thanks!

doug01n
2009.12.25, 08:41 AM
My MR-03 burned board was send to RCkenon, but even changing the 4 fets for new ones, the board still dead. So I stressed a little bit with my stupidness and bought another board only from a chinese seller.

I'll get my MR-03 running in the end of january, I hope. :(

minittrackmann
2009.12.25, 09:22 AM
I need some help guys. Just got my 03. And for some reason everytime I go to bind the car to my M11 the car light just blinks and doesnt go solid?

Whats wrong?

Cody

mleemor60
2009.12.25, 09:30 AM
Marcus,

I was thinking about running one of the new Subarus on an 03. How did it handle and which front does it require N or W? Also what offsets did you use?

Thanks!

Marwan, we got two of the new Subaru bodies and two of those little Silvia's also. All white bodies. We also got a couple more Leyton House ASC's and two Sauber C9 body and chassis sets.

bermbuster
2009.12.25, 09:41 AM
I need some help guys. Just got my 03. And for some reason everytime I go to bind the car to my M11 the car light just blinks and doesnt go solid?

Whats wrong?

Cody

not seeing the M11.....
make sure the m11 is in bind mode.....
when turning on TX hold bind button....solid red light/then dim red
then power up car with bind button pressed use plastic tool not anything steel you can touch other components and short things out.....

minittrackmann
2009.12.25, 09:58 AM
I used a hex wrench the first time and nothing happened. I did eveything correct and used the binding tool and stillthe light just flashes.

doug01n
2010.01.24, 11:15 AM
My board is defenetly dead. I bought a new one, and came with the "raised tabs".

NYRC-WebAdmin
2010.02.01, 08:11 AM
On the MR03 board which FETs are for Forward and which ones are for Reverse?

JeremyC
2010.02.01, 06:16 PM
On the MR03 board which FETs are for Forward and which ones are for Reverse?

Both.

Each FET has two channels, and forward uses one channel on each fet. Ditto for Reverse. So if you blow your forward fets you have to change both IC's because you busted the forward channel on each fet.

andre-alves
2010.08.09, 11:58 AM
Hello Friends, I have a MR-03 that burned one of the FETs but the direction of movements are normal. I wonder if you have to change all or just two FETs. What should I change? anyone have any photo that shows what the FETs to be exchanged? Thanks, Andre

Guinness
2010.09.15, 08:49 AM
Anyone know if there's a way to tell if a chassis set is from the first batch or a later batch?

I'm thinking of picking up another MR03, but would like to avoid the first batch if possible

bermbuster
2010.09.15, 04:25 PM
Anyone know if there's a way to tell if a chassis set is from the first batch or a later batch?

I'm thinking of picking up another MR03, but would like to avoid the first batch if possible

not from the box....but if you look at the terminal connections (holes) in the board for the motor. They are raised w a bead of solder.

Guinness
2010.09.15, 08:44 PM
^^^ Thanks. I guess I'll just hope it's a newer one until I open it

Guystill
2011.07.26, 05:37 AM
hi all, ive just had the same thing happen to my car. i cant remember if it was when i tried to bind it with the transmitter or if the rear mount damper, (which i had to build with old parts as i cant find a metal upgrade for the rear damper mount), touched both - and + screws. but smoke appeared and now the car wont reverse even tho everything else works. ive taken the car apart and cant see any signs of melted solder, tho i have noticed that two wires on the board, the red wire from the batteries touching a white wire that goes to the steering servos. the fets look intact too....any help? thanks

cowboysir
2011.07.26, 08:27 AM
I had an issue recently with an MR03 that i caused a short against the drive fets...it didnt look visibly blown except for a miniscule irregularity in the surface of the fet.

Yours may not look blown but they are.

Luckily for you the ASF boards are the easiest (access wise) to swap fets...if you dont feel confident contact a member like actionB for advice/help on replacement.