PDA

View Full Version : New MyProto front suspension > Kyosho MP-02

ivanmartin18
2009.10.26, 06:29 AM
Hi everybody,

I was working on this during last week.

It's a new front suspension based on 1/12 pan cars and new MR-03 with variable dinamic camber and also variable static camber, you can move the ball end (MR-02 stock damper ball end) from the suspension brace (trimmed MR-02 stock knuckle :-))in order to increase or decrease the camber.

The next step will be to put another ball end on the botoom in order to avoid some small bump steer effect there is now. In this way having top and bottom adjustable ball ends will be possible to adjust static camber and toe with almost no bump steer.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8595/cimg0726t.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8569/cimg0727t.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/434/cimg0728p.jpg

Ciao!
Ivan

ivanmartin18
2009.10.26, 11:10 AM
The movement of this suspension :-)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2404/suspension.gif

Ciao!

dxm2
2009.10.26, 11:34 AM
WOW! That looks great! Are those stock knuckles acting as the horizontal pivot point?
Honestly, it looks stronger then the MR03 and if you could get a turnbucke between the the horizontal pivot and the top ball end, you'd have adjustable camber. Excellent work!
Please keep us updated on how it works.

LED
2009.10.26, 12:05 PM
It looks frigale to me.
I frequently hit the side curbs at our track and I think the bottom suspension points with snap like a twig. Is it strong enough to hold an impact in the forward/backwards direction ?

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 01:52 PM
WOW! That looks great! Are those stock knuckles acting as the horizontal pivot point?
Honestly, it looks stronger then the MR03 and if you could get a turnbucke between the the horizontal pivot and the top ball end, you'd have adjustable camber. Excellent work!
Please keep us updated on how it works.

dmx2, look at the photos. the upper arm is a turnbuckle, and is adjustable. :eek:

It looks frigale to me.
I frequently hit the side curbs at our track and I think the bottom suspension points with snap like a twig. Is it strong enough to hold an impact in the forward/backwards direction ?

LED. do you break the bottom suspension point of your mini-z when you "hit
the side curbs at your track" ?. if you look at the photos you will see that it is the same "bottom suspension points" that you have now on your mini-z. so IMHO it is not weaker (frigale) than the stock mini-z. ::D

but that's just me. ;)
D

LED
2009.10.26, 02:04 PM
No its the top that breaks.
But the top has a longer lever now to put more torque on the chassis when you hit something.
Its not critisisme (spelling ?), i'm just wondering how rigid it is.

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 02:36 PM
HI LED
I see your point, I am wondering also. it does look stronger than the stock
MR02 and much stronger than the new MR03. I use ball ends and turn
turnbuckles of that size on my 1/4 scale gas RC boat (48mph), and they
are strong. it looks good to me. :)

D

dxm2
2009.10.26, 03:44 PM
Hi Mini-D,
My recommendation was based on the addition of a true turnbuckle, i.e. a dual threaded rod with a hexagonal section in the middle. That way camber adjustments could be made without disassembly.
Do you race in SF? I'm in Marin and am always looking for places to race.

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 04:25 PM
hay dxm2
come on over to:
All Speed Hobbies 230 South Spruce Ave
So. San Francisco CA 94080
650-872-2012 or

FAST PACE RACING 2050 Concourse Drive
Suite 34-36
San Jose, CA 95131
408-943-8283 and

Inside Line Racing Valco/Cupertino Square Mall
2nd floor, next to the food court
10123 N Wolfe Rd
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 873-7170

I am a repeat offender at all the 3 tracks,... and get your Z on.:D

I hope this post is OK with the forum.:p

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 04:52 PM
Hi Mini-D,
My recommendation was based on the addition of a true turnbuckle, i.e. a dual threaded rod with a hexagonal section in the middle. That way camber adjustments could be made without disassembly.
Do you race in SF? I'm in Marin and am always looking for places to race.

Hi dxm2

that would be good, but I don't think there is room for that ? and the way it is
will only allow a 1/2 turn adjustment at a time. your way would have more
adjustment (finer). if you made room for the hex. I think you would give up strength
of the turnbuckle.:(

D

color01
2009.10.26, 05:52 PM
That looks excellent -- the longer arm actually gives you (in theory) a better camber curve than the MR03's front suspension, more like that of the PN A-arm setup. Direct spring actuation is also great, no need to deal with the possibly flexy suspension arms on the MR03.

Unfortunately you won't be able to avoid bump steer since the MR02 tierods actuate from "up top" (the 03's are much lower). But bump toe-in is not a deal-breaker for a front suspension, just a minor thing. The ball-joint on the bottom should not be a worry either since there is easily enough play in the plastic to compensate for it. An extra ball joint like the 03 might actually add more play than is really needed.

For me, the bigger concern is that this setup cannot be reproduced easily since it involves cutting into the chassis in a significant way. But all in all that looks like a great mod for the MR02, if you could document all the steps needed, I'd love to feature it for you on the TinyRC blog page. :)

arch2b
2009.10.26, 07:21 PM
Posting racing locations is always welcomed :)

MantisMMA
2009.10.26, 07:29 PM
you should create a setup with the WTF v1 bottom side!!! that would give you more room and an even better camber curve!

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 08:55 PM
Posting racing locations is always welcomed :)

Hi arch2b,

Thank You!

D

MINI-D
2009.10.26, 09:00 PM
you should create a setup with the WTF v1 bottom side!!! that would give you more room and an even better camber curve!

Hi MantisMMA,

:eek:... YOU THE MAN!!!...:D

D

Felix2010
2009.10.26, 09:56 PM
@ivanmartin - I'm really diggin' the whole car, front + rear suspension prototypes look awesome.:D Wow! Nice job!

Cherub1m
2009.10.26, 10:43 PM
Ivanmartin, very nice. Nice work!

Tjay
2009.10.26, 10:59 PM
Very good and simple design! Should work better than the stock 02. :) I'll definitely look forward for this product.

Thanks for sharing.

Sponge
2009.10.28, 09:44 AM
Looks very interesting :D Keep us posted!

tdmr02
2009.10.28, 11:42 PM
When are you going to sell these designs.........Great work man!

Am lovin the rear suspension also :D

J-Milz
2009.10.29, 12:09 AM
You have some nice work. I loved the monster rock crawler, and now this. You should really consider an off road conversion for the AWD. That would be awesome. No one is moving in that direction and would be great! Just look at the success of the Traxxas Slash.

MINI-D
2009.10.29, 12:57 AM
hay Sponge,

I like your new avatar. :)

Felix2010
2009.10.29, 01:22 AM
@ivanmartin - Hello! Do you think you will release your Cross-Damper Rear Suspension plates to the public? I am a big fan of this setup, ever since I tried Reflex Racing's Rear Side Damper suspension system. If you think you might be releasing the cross-suspension plates I would love to know.:D:D:D

Thanks! And again -> great work!:D

Sponge
2009.10.29, 03:49 AM
hay Sponge,

I like your new avatar. :)

Thanks :D I wanted the a bit more car in it, but didn't had the right picture.. gotta make a new one soon ;)

ivanmartin18
2009.10.30, 05:38 AM
Hi everybody,

First of all i would like to thank you for the support-advices you've given to me.

I prefered to don't answer until i've tried the suspension and the result is that i'm very impressed with it. Is faster in corner speed and changing direction. I feel the car now very precise and predictable.

Are those stock knuckles acting as the horizontal pivot point?
Honestly, it looks stronger then the MR03 and if you could get a turnbucke between the the horizontal pivot and the top ball end, you'd have adjustable camber

Yes, stock knuckles trimmed and stock MR02 damper top ball end. A turnbuckle like you are thinking should be nice but there is not space, whatever is adjustable with a one direction threaded rod.

It looks frigale to me.

It's very rigid and absolutely not fragile, i was a little bit scared because some parts on the chassis are glued together. But the choice of using resin instead of glue was ok. Of course i didn't make a crash test session.

Unfortunately you won't be able to avoid bump steer since the MR02 tierods actuate from "up top" (the 03's are much lower). But bump toe-in is not a deal-breaker for a front suspension, just a minor thing. The ball-joint on the bottom should not be a worry either since there is easily enough play in the plastic to compensate for it. An extra ball joint like the 03 might actually add more play than is really needed.

For me, the bigger concern is that this setup cannot be reproduced easily since it involves cutting into the chassis in a significant way. But all in all that looks like a great mod for the MR02, if you could document all the steps needed, I'd love to feature it for you on the TinyRC blog page. :)

You are right, yesterday i could realized that the small amount of toe-in generated is not problem :-)

A tutorial is coming, this is a mod that is not complicate to realize you will need just a lot of patience and 3-4 hours.

Is coming! Next week i hope. I just have to put longer "turnbuckles" and some parts of my RR WTF

Thanks to all of you guys for your support.

Regards!
Ivan

dxm2
2009.10.30, 06:05 PM
Hi Ivan,
I'm sure you have already thought of this, but by using different spacers on each side of the horizontal knuckle you could have an effective way to change caster. And if you can get a turnbuckle to work between the horizontal knuckle and the pinion, you'd have a way to adjust both the camber and caster without removing the front wheels. Very, very cool.