PDA

View Full Version : For those born before 1986

kryten
2009.10.29, 08:29 PM
This was originally posted by a guy caled Rob Llaidlaw on a mini moto forum i used to go on.

FOR THOSE BORN BEFORE 1986

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids
in the 60's, 70's and early 80's probably shouldn't have survived because...

our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was
promptly chewed and licked. We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,
or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip-flops and fluorescent
'spokey dokey's' on our wheels. As children, we would ride in cars with no
seat belts or airbags - riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle and it tasted the
same. We ate chips, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy juice with
sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside
playing.

A coke was a coke - we didn't care if it was diet or caffeine free or fully
loaded. We didn't know what caffeine was, nor cared, and coffee came with
milk and sugar or strong and black - that's it.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no-one
actually died from this. We would spend hours building go-carts out of
scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the
brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve
the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and could play all day, as long as we
were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us and no one minded.

We did not have Play stations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99
channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no
personal computers, no DVDs, no Internet chat rooms.

We played elastics and rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt!

We fell out of trees, got cut, and broke bones but there were no law suits.

We had full on fist fights but no prosecution followed from other parents.
We played chap-the-door-run-away and were actually afraid of the owners
catching us.

We walked to friends' homes. We also, believe it or not, WALKED to school;
we didn't rely on mummy or daddy to drive us to school, which was just round
the corner. We made up games with sticks and tennis balls.

We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood. The idea of
a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of...They actually
sided with the law.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem
solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of
innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and
responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
And you're one of them. Congratulations!

Pass this on to others who have had the luck to grow as real kids, before
lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good!

For those of you who aren't old enough, thought you might like to read about
us.

This my friends, is surprisingly frightening......and it might put a smile
on your face:

The majority of students in universities today were born in 1986........They
are called youth.

They have never heard of We are the World, We are the children, and the
Uptown Girl they know is by Westlife not Billy Joel.
They have never heard of Rick Astley, Bananarama, Nena Cherry or Belinda
Carlisle.

For them, there has always been only one Germany and one Vietnam.

CD's have existed since they were born.

Michael Jackson has always been white.

To them John Travolta has always been round in shape and they can't imagine
how this fat guy could be a god of dance.

They believe that Charlie's Angels and Mission Impossible are films from
last year.

They can never imagine life before computers.

They'll never have pretended to be the A Team, RedHand Gang or the Famous
Five.

They'll never have applied to be on Jim'll Fix It or Why Don't You.

They can't believe a black and white television ever existed. And they will
never understand how we could leave the house without a mobile phone.

Now let's check if we're getting old...
1. You understand what was written above and you smile.
2. You need to sleep more, usually until the afternoon, after a night out.
3. Your friends are getting married/already married.
4. You are always surprised to see small children playing comfortably with
computers.
5. When you see teenagers with mobile phones, you shake your head.
6. You remember watching Dirty Den in EastEnders the first time around.
7. You meet your friends from time to time, talking about the good Old days,
repeating again all the funny things you have experienced together.
8. Having read this mail, you are thinking of forwarding it to some other
friends because you think they will like it too...

Yes, you're getting old!! .

Santy
2009.10.29, 10:10 PM
hey i was born in 87, and i remember doing over 90% of those things when i was younger, i never had a computer till i was 11 years old. my kids wont be allowed to use a computer or play games till there at least in 10.

im 22 years old an i can remember days when i would wake up before the suns up and go across the street to my bestfriends house and he would be up too. we would play outside till the street lights came on. an then we would find something to do inside that wasnt video games or use a computer,(lego or mini sticks(hockey))

kids today have it too easy, my 6 year old cousin plays video games from when he wakes up till the time he goes to bed, ive asked him to play catch. i was amazed that the kid couldnt throw a ball or catch one. at 6 years old i could play baseball like a pro.

marc
2009.10.29, 10:27 PM
I was born in '74 and I remember those day's. I even remembered my first video game attached to a tiny little technocolor television set. Remember the original Atari games? If it weren't for them we wouldn't have what we have now.
I remember and still love the 80's tv show's. My friends and I would always play Transformers after school.
I was never into sports mostly cause of health issues. So for me playing ball and such never existed. My brother's weren't much into sports either, just the way it was. They were getting their drivers license, their first cars, learning how to fly airplanes and getting solo.
We didn't worry about economy crash, terrorists hating Americans, gas-prices going as high as $5 bucks a gallon. Concept cars were cool. The vision for the future was cool.
Movies, and TV shows were real. No computer generated junk. Music was real for the same thing. Classic rock'n'roll was loved by all teens. Fast Food was awesome, but as you said we were so energetic back then we never gained much weight from it.
Those were peaceful times compared to today and I miss times like that.
Great read Kryten and thank's for sharing with us!

arch2b
2009.10.29, 10:37 PM
forwarding stuff like this is ENORMOUSLY annoying. if i even see something that suggests it just another forward life story, joke, etc. i hit delete. i get enough junk email.

that being said, i fit this category. i was lucky if i wore shoes when riding a bike as a small child. jumped ramps taller than me, made runs down entire flights of stairs, etc. and about the worst i got was someone yelling at me to be careful.

first use of a computer was moving a green triangle around the screen by inputting coordinates. don't even remember what it called anymore.

i remember seeing the first episodes of the simpsons when they were 4 minute shorts on the tracy ulman show.

i thought the atari was ground breaking. i had to beg for a year to get a nintendo. i remember having to buy pc game programs to input code yourself. even had the huge 5" floppies.

i loved the old school hanna barbara cartoons. in particular, the heculoids. odd as it was, i liked it.

i always liked rc cola as a kid but main choices were coke or pepsi, not the dozens of offshoots.

my parents had not 1 but 2 pintos and a ford granada as i was a small kid. i fondly remember laying on the rear shelf at the rear window baking in the sun. i don't even recall when i first saw a seatbelt. doesn't matter, we never wore them.

i had a nice 8track collection as a small kid along with albums. i thought cassettes were awsome until something snagged the tape.

i had a thriller posted on our refrigerator :)

we can complain all we want, say all we want about the younger generation but just keep in mind, our parents were saying the same thing about our generation. it's just how it goes. the generation after always has it easier, doesn't work as hard, yadda, yadda, yadda. waste of time and space.

anyone forwards me this crap will get banned :p

B-main
2009.10.29, 10:42 PM
marc and arch2b .wasnt our childhoods great .i still remember mr T hated flying in airplanes .and tom and jerry didnt talk just crash and boom sounds .

Eman
2009.10.30, 01:38 AM
I remember the first time my kids saw a TV with knobs. It was 1995 while visiting my mothers home. They stared at it for a while and one them asked "How do you turn it on"? Yeah I'm getting old but don't really care. It happens to the best of us. Its life, know one gets out alive.

ub0211042
2009.10.30, 09:23 AM
i was born in 1983, as weird as ur guys might think...i still prefer the old cartoon transformers...

marc
2009.10.30, 11:31 AM
Every once in a blue moon I'll watch Tom and Jerry on Cartoon Network just for some good old classic kick's.
As for today's generation having it easier, well, technology wise maybe. But I still think it was much safer and more peaceful back then.
Anybody watch "That 70's Show" or "The Wonder Years"? Bring's back good memories.
Back in the day's, the worst weapon's bought to school was a pocket knife or an 8 year old's sling-shot. Today's weapon of choice is a freaking oozy! What's next? A rocket launcher? Or better still, Star Trek's phaser set on kill.
Wonder what the next generation will talk about us.

Mini-Me-Zee
2009.10.30, 02:42 PM
Great post! I was born in 1970. Does that make me the oldest here? Bottom line is, society has become hell-bent on achieving immediate fun and gratification, all while sitting on our butts. And, the toy/video game/computer manufacturers know this. Fun is now confined to a computer screen or a small electronic all-in-one phone. Remember the movie "Sleeper" with Woody Allen? The people had numbers instead of names, and wore "space suit" looking things so physical touch was impossible. Are we heading toward a culture where people will not know how to relate to one another off-screen? Maybe. Heck, people even marry online, sight unseen!

Are the fast foods of today any worse than they were 20 years ago? I doubt it. Obesity is an epidemic because of lifestyle, not necessarily diet. I feasted on McDonald's, Burger King, soda, and was a confirmed choca-holic. My friends were no different. Sure, one kid was a little chubby, but obesity-induced childhood diabetes? No such thing. But, as the post said, we played outside morning to night. We had to be inventive, imaginative, resourceful...we did not rely on electronics to be our sole entertainment, to set up an artificial adventure onscreen. The shining sun (heck, even the rain) outside, with all of the possibilities for new adventures, were too great a draw to keep us inside.

For me, Saturday mornings meant breakfast, then the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner show for an hour and a half, followed by a day of running, jumping, falling, tumbling, kicking balls (not the anatomical kind), and swinging long hard objects (again, not the anatomical kind...not until my teens, anyway) to knock something (sometimes ourselves) into oblivion.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, I miss those carefree days! :D

paul_england
2009.10.30, 02:47 PM
Im preety sure 99%+ of people born after 1986 have heard of Rick Astley, everyone gets rick rolled all the time :p

arch2b
2009.10.30, 03:10 PM
you can't even take a pocket knife practically anywhere anymore. our litigious society has stripped personal responsibility from our vocabulary, education and social fabric. today, when something happens, the first step is to see whom else is to blame.
recent events for example, an aluminum bat manufacturer was sued by a kids parents because he pitched a ball that was hit back at him, unfortunately hitting him in the head and killing him. the parents WON. tell me how that is possible? the minute you walk out your door you are assuming risk. walk on a sports field and your risks significantly increase yet they do it anyway and god forbid, when something goes wrong, it's got to be anyones fault but sheer bad luck. couldn't possibly be that the parents understood the risk and choose to let their child compete anyway. :rolleyes:

that is the environment that i feel has sunk our later generations. there is no sense of personal responsibility anymore. i took a foul ball to the head in highschool. it was my fault for not adequately preparing myself for the possibility of that happening or being quick enough to protect myself. it hurt like hell but i got up and continued playing. i never even thought to blame the bat:p all along it could have been the bats fault. the bat had it out for me...

i still prefer the original transformers cartoons. yes, they can be a bit silly at times but i think the stories are still better than what you get today. i collect vintage transformers and gi joe but refuse to buy any new line transformers or gi joes. no emotional connection to them for me.

our food was just as bad, toys were dare i say even more violent and dangerous yet i don't recall ever seeing the level of fear people place on things today. you get scorned for walking out my mcdonalds, despite being thinner than the person giving you the dirty look...

i try my best to get my kids outside but they just don't understand the concept of imaginative play, or at least the same style we had. you almost have to spoon feed them the details before they make them up themselves.

i recall as a child that my parents would fight with me to come inside or come home for dinner. now i'm arguing with my kids to get outside and do something.

saturday cartoons were the best. you actually wanted to get up at 7am on a weekend. who knows, maybe if cartoon network existed 20 years ago, things might have been much different:confused: my kids saw road runner and speedy gonzales awhile back and laughed so hard watching them. they didn't seem to believe me that those shows were older than i am. they were pretty damned violent to.

kryten
2009.10.30, 06:59 PM
Im preety sure 99%+ of people born after 1986 have heard of Rick Astley, everyone gets rick rolled all the time :p

This thread was originally posted acouple of years ago,bfore the rik roll. I was having a conversation with a friend and it reminded me of this,so i posted it.

marc
2009.10.30, 07:17 PM
Getting up at 7am in the morning to watch cartoons doesn't exist as much anymore cause we all now have Tivo' that records it all for us!
I also remembered "learning" about classical music because of those good ol' cartoons. Every time Tom and Jerry, or Bug's Bunny did something, it was to classical Mozart or something like that. Nowadays seems like cartoon's are done up with I don't know, heavy-metal?
I'm with you on the Transformers Arch. Can't beat the original's, it's like Knight Rider. Give me the original 80's anyday. The new version sucked! LOL! Glad it didn't make it past season one.
Good ol'days!

HammerZ
2009.10.31, 06:23 AM
I was born way back in '67, one thing I'll add.

It was common in the summertime for young kids to pile into the back of a pickup truck for a trip to the lake. Nowdays you are stuck with using child seats and being belted in.

I also liked the cheezy scripted shows better than todays so called reality show. We talked about all the shots fired on The A Team and no one being shot, now I see fights over who won American Idol last night.

okoye
2009.10.31, 07:41 AM
i was born in 1990 and back home in jamaica i did all this stuff. Coming here its kinda funny yet sad to see these kids inside all the time

Skv012a
2009.10.31, 02:42 PM
Did alot of these things in Russia, with respect to what we had available. BB gun wars without any safety gear anyone? Taking either a sled or just a piece of plastic or cardboard down a decent-height, icy hill with trees and creeks towards the bottom. Funny enough, the only real things I still appreciate is say taking a walk outside with friends vs just playing games, seeing a movie, goin to a mall, etc; goin biking or skating and so on and forth. I'm actually not too fond of plenty older things like quite a bit of the 70-early 90s music, older media (VHS, cassette tapes for music, etc) so I consider myself a hybrid of the two mentioned time periods.

marc
2009.10.31, 02:46 PM
Remember when RC cars were starting out? All they had was forward, reverse right, and they had a cable from the Transmitter to the car! WOW!
Now we have Dnano's! :D

Skv012a
2009.11.01, 09:21 PM
Remember when RC cars were starting out? All they had was forward, reverse right, and they had a cable from the Transmitter to the car! WOW!
Now we have Dnano's! :D

Yea, i actually remember those. Good old days lol. There were some where you'd have to twist the string to make it move.

marc
2009.11.01, 10:21 PM
Thank god those day's are over! LOL!

Dusty Weasle
2009.11.02, 04:53 AM

I have faint memories of standing in our yard under a crisp Phoenix night sky in '72, all the stars blazing bright in the clear air. My dad pointed up at the Moon and said “There are men standing up there, right now”, and I stared as hard as I could at the Moon to see them.

We were the last generation to see the Moon as a living place.

I remember going to Thrifty's or Radio Shack to use the Tube Tester to determine which vacuum tube had gone bad in the B&W TV this month. My dad built our first color TV. It was a Heathkit, solid-state beauty. It even had a three function remote (power, volume, channel).

All the neighborhood kids played together sun up to sun down, often in swimming pools and without safety floaties. We all had realistic toy guns. One day we piled them all together to see what we had, and it was a massive stack, the Arsenal of Freedom. Yet, to my knowledge anyway, none of us went on to be serial killers.

My first console game system was the Fairchild. My dad didn't think that Atari thing would amount to much... (and to my pride, many years later I got to make a game for the Atari label. “Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild” for PS2 and Xbox. Not like making an 8bit classic, but cool anyway).

When I moved out I had seven roommates in one house, all friends from as far back as the fifth grade. We had trivial jobs, no money, and minimal responsibilities. We played BattleTech with lead figures moved on a map, all manual and with imagination, and none of us died of lead poisoning. Model rockets hung around the ceiling that we would fly in the park across the street, and none of us exploded or burned the city down.

Those were the last perfect days.

Now we're all very busy. Now we see each other about once a year at the Christmas party. We talk by F******k more than by Face, and one of them lives half a mile from me! The upside to this technology is I do get to connect with them, many of whom are out of state now.

Its how we use this march of progress that makes it a benefit or a detriment.