PDA

View Full Version : mr03 reviews....

herman
2009.11.03, 01:13 AM
just a suggestion... for the benefit of all...

i was wondering if everybody could cooperate by putting all the mr03 reviews in this thread???

would be easier to catch if they were all in one thread... ;)

click here for programmer's review (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32993)

CristianTabush
2009.11.22, 10:29 AM
What a blast! Last night I finally got to test my car for the first time. The results were VERY promising.

First of all I want to put the scenario in perspective. Last night was our first race at our new place in Houston, Jacob Feinstein and I ran mod an went at it as usual. This was also my second time to race since the KO GP in March so I am a bit rusty and as you all know Jacob just came back from Barcelona where he won 2 more PNWCs.

The racing was close between Jacob and I. First qualifier went to Jacob by about a lap. My 03 was pushing a bit and needed to rotate a little bit quicker. I switched my front tires for the second qualifier and BAM! The car was ballistic. I was able to catch Jacob and pull away at will even with quite a few mistakes I was able to re-set the TQ position by a couple of tenths over Jacob's time. I also set the fastest lap of the night in the process.

In the third qualifier I tried changing over to the new PN Spur just to compare it to ours. The car lost it's ability to rotate as hard as it started pushing badly on exit. Surprisingly, it pushed on entry as well, even though it was supposed to give more steering. I think that the flywheel effect is what allowed the car to have more turn it with our much lighter spur gears (the car just slows down quicker). I was not quite a fast in consequence, being about 1 tenth slower on average. The PN Spur will probably come in handy for those of you that want your car to push a little bit more than usual on exit. It makes the car a little mellower on throttle as well, as it does not spool up as quickly as the Reflex Spur, having a little bit less punch. Grip was also coming up on the track and Jacob's 96mm 02 was starting to get much quicker as well.

For the main, I should have changed my rear tires. My Radials were about to go bald and I gambled not to replace them thinking that the grip would be enough to where I would not need the tread for much longer. BIG MISTAKE. I also went back to the Reflex Spur and put faster batteries (750's)and the car became just a bit too loose. I really had to battle with it the whole time and I was not able to give chase to Jacob who's car was getting quicker. He ended up setting fast lap in the main with a 6.92 to my previous fast lap of 7.02. He was running the WTF2, 96mm G-10 plates and SSG's with a 350Z body. I was on 98mm, with PN #4 plate, green front springs, 98-102 mount and GTR2008 body. I built Jacob's car with 4+years of knowledge on MR-02 development. The MR-03 I am just starting to learn. I found several things after I got home where I can improve the car, just by being observant, with the addition of a couple of key changes, the car will be very tough to beat.

Next week I will come back a little more prepared and as the car gets more crisp, my driving will also become better with more track time. Overall though I give the MR-03 an A+ on a first time drive. It was right on pace, super responsive to set-up changes and very, very fast.

boroEF
2009.11.22, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the glowing mr03 review!
I'm sure lots of people were waiting to hear what a top driver thinks of the car :)

how does it handle compared to the mr02? i presume it has quicker turn in...and generally more front end bite?

CristianTabush
2009.11.22, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the glowing mr03 review!
I'm sure lots of people were waiting to hear what a top driver thinks of the car :)

how does it handle compared to the mr02? i presume it has quicker turn in...and generally more front end bite?

Turn in is not necessarily more, just a lot more precise. The car is very, very sure footed and does not wander whatsoever.

skyler
2009.11.22, 03:53 PM
Cristian, How soon till we start to see RR hop ups for the MR03? A;so, how long before V2 spurs? Thanks.

CristianTabush
2009.11.22, 06:00 PM
Hopefully about a couple of weeks for some new front end parts, and then some other parts should follow sometime in January.

V2 spurs, maybe a month out, not much changed, we are just eliminating the need to space them.

Samael76
2009.11.22, 06:19 PM
CT, could you give us any hint about what new front parts you´re up to?

arch2b
2009.11.22, 06:47 PM
this is an mr-03 review thread... lets keep the reflex product reviews to reflex product review threads please :p i'm sure cristian will have them posted to the new product subforum shortly.

lfisminiz
2009.11.22, 06:52 PM
Nice write up so far Cristian. Keep us posted. Im liking what i see to.

Cherub1m
2009.11.22, 07:01 PM
Turn in is not necessarily more, just a lot more precise. The car is very, very sure footed and does not wander whatsoever.

Nice write up CT and thanks for sharing.

I ran mine on a very tight Mini96 and that's what I noticed also, the throttle and steering is much more precise and much smoother, but turn in is about the same even direction changes seemed to be the same for me, lap times are same also. Now that is with an LM set up for both (Note: right now I am faster with the 02 LM then any of my 02s small or large track). When I get the time I may compare the 02 and 03 using a 94mm and 98mm set up.

herman
2009.11.23, 12:56 AM
thanks for the great review ct! :D

My 03 was pushing a bit and needed to rotate a little bit quicker. I switched my front tires for the second qualifier and BAM!
what did you change them to? softer front tires?

Programmers
2009.11.23, 01:26 AM
Great writeup but this felt more like a series of small product reviews, not an MR03 review...

ruf
2009.11.23, 01:40 AM
Did you expect us to review a stock MR-03 against Jacob's MR-02? :D hehehe!

CristianTabush
2009.11.23, 02:18 AM
Great writeup but this felt more like a series of small product reviews, not an MR03 review...

Sorry to disappoint you on the review. I gave the impressions of my first race day with an MR-03. I tested available options for the car to get a good overall feel of the potential of the car in a race scenario, which is what we do at Reflex, race.

what did you change them to? softer front tires?

Same compound (K30), I just went to a tire with a little taller sidewall...

color01
2009.11.28, 12:13 AM
Well, here's my short review... unfortunately I haven't had a chance to actually race the car yet, but what the heck. I'll get to it eventually. :)

http://tinyrc.com/forums/blog.php?b=110

Felix2010
2009.11.28, 12:43 AM
Well, here's my short review... unfortunately I haven't had a chance to actually race the car yet, but what the heck. I'll get to it eventually. :)

http://tinyrc.com/forums/blog.php?b=110

Good review color0, well written.:D

Thank you for the ICS settings also, I'ma give them a try on my brand-new Fetted-MR03:D Oh boy!

Keep the good info coming! Thanks again,
-Felix2010

Update: I tried your settings, and when I set the ST. GAIN value to 250 like you have in your blog, my servo goes crazy back-and-forth at a million miles an hour.... The same thing continues to happen when I use any ST GAIN value above the "stock" ICS setting. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong color0?
Also, what does setting the ST. GAIN and TH. GAIN values both to 250 do exactly?
Thanks for help in advance:D

herman
2009.12.02, 05:10 AM
hi folks... i just got mine (chassis set)... from a friend who just recently visited japan... i put a body on it right away and took a quick spin... (on the floor)

initial impressions...

- feels light and fast (just my opinion)...

- steering response was... instant... almost telepathic (lol... i believe i read that somewhere in the forums)... i haven't tried out any high speed servo's on bigger r/c's so i'm guessing this is what it might feel like...

- in conjuction with the faster steering response... i hear a whrrr coming from the chassis supposedly from the servo motor... not too annoying at the moment... and the thing tracks straight... what a joy...

- delay in reverse has been solved... so much so, that sometimes when i flick the trigger forward to brake... the wheels reverse (kinda not liking that)... maybe i just have to figure out how to adjust the settings on this thing with the kt-18... sometimes it brakes, tap again and it reverses, and sometimes it doesn't (goes straight into reverse)...

On mine, I noticed by accident while adjusting the gear mesh that running the motor in reverse I get a spark from the comm and the servo does a quick full right or left.
In reverse, I get the spark, motor slows and wheels jerk one direction. Exactly the same as you are stating here. I havent done anything about it yet. Mine was not purchased in the US, straight from Japan.

- hmm... and also as stated above by emu and traveler, i kinda observed the same thing on mine... the wheel jerking to one side really quickly and going back straight when suddenly going into reverse... are we all in the twighlight zone???

- haven't checked the motor tabs on the boards if they were raised...

overall... i think this will be great...

will post pictures soon...

Skv012a
2009.12.02, 09:26 AM
I'll post a review request here- could someone try a narrow (15 only) body and post some feedback here? Porsche 934, 1970 Skyline, 300c, RX7, Ferrari 355, etc. Due to my inability to lay out my own track and next track day being a few weeks away, I would really appreciate some input.

arch2b
2009.12.02, 09:46 AM
igor, the va guys are at awsome rc almost every saturday i'm told. i also have my small track setup at home if you want some practice, i could use some as well.

color01
2009.12.02, 04:27 PM
Update: I tried your settings, and when I set the ST. GAIN value to 250 like you have in your blog, my servo goes crazy back-and-forth at a million miles an hour.... The same thing continues to happen when I use any ST GAIN value above the "stock" ICS setting. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong color0?
Also, what does setting the ST. GAIN and TH. GAIN values both to 250 do exactly?
I've been working on this issue with pedrocamp and mleemor60, actually... seems like some people are having issues with the ICS settings that PN and I found good, and to be frank, I have absolutely no clue why. Pedro got it to function normally by turning the GAIN (not ST.GAIN or TH.GAIN) back to MID. But that sacrifices holding torque when the track becomes really grippy/high-grip front tires. I don't actually know what the ST.GAIN and TH.GAIN settings do, but the result of setting them higher appears to be faster response (yeah, even faster than stock) to EVERY input. It's just really weird that setting both to 255 made my servo shake back and forth like a rabid dog. :eek:

Is your 03 a JDM or USDM car, Ian?

Felix2010
2009.12.02, 08:56 PM
I am in the process of trying new ST.GAIN and TH. GAIN values. So far I have found that when the TH. GAIN is set to 250 as you said color0, I get a more "powerful" powerband sort-of-effect, it is hard to describe.:confused: But I like it a lot!:D It kind of makes the throttle travel have more of a "curve" to the throttle input to the motor. Sorry I am not good at explaining things...:o

I also found that I can set my ST. GAIN to 200 if I keep the regular GAIN (At the top of the ICS menu) at "MID" (Just as you said you've found out color0). I will keep trying to find out how to increase the ST. GAIN value without having my servo start shaking back-and-forth "like a rabid dog", lmao - That's a perfect way to describe it though!:D

I have 2 MR03's right now, both are from rckenon. One is "1st-GEN" without the solder on the motor terminals, and the other is "2nd-GEN" - With the solder on the motor terminals.:) I have only tried adjusting the ICS settings for ST.GAIN + TH.GAIN on the "2nd-GEN" MR03 so far.

I also use an EX-1UR Tx. What are your Tx settings color0? Especially the following(I've listed my settings):
ST.TRAVEL: 70;
ST.BALANCE: L=92,R=88;
ST.SUBTRIM: L=2 (TrimRate=10);
ST.Quick: Off;

I have a feeling the back/forth has to do with the Setting of the ICS-"DUMP" to "OVER", combined with having the ST.TRAVEL and ST.BALANCE be slightly-off and not having both sides steering-travel exactly equal. Just a guess!

Thanks for the help, any updates are appreciated:)

pedrocamp
2009.12.02, 09:23 PM
I have tried the SMOOTH, various slider TH and ST GAIN settings, various PUNCH settings, color's radio settings, updated ICS software, etc, etc... and can only get the "rabid dog" shake to go away when I set the ST GAIN to MID, this on three different cars (2 first batch, 1 second batch). I am using an EX1-UR and the shake starts as soon as I turn on the car. Interestingly enough, when I bind to a Sanwa M8 the shake occurs as soon as I turn the wheel, not on switch-on! I haven't found the magic combination that color and Philip have that results in no shake with gain on STRONG. I pick up a fourth car, my own, tomorrow and I will test on that one...

color01
2009.12.02, 11:49 PM
Here are my Tx settings on an EX-1UR:

TRAVEL: 55
BALANCE L:95 R:95
SUBTRIM: R 4
TRMRAT: 2
PUNCH: 0%
CURVE: 0%
QUICKR: OFF
SSPD: KEY OFF

The funny thing here is that I just read Kyosho's ICS manual, and ST.GAIN and TH.GAIN are supposed to affect the function of the optional gyro. :confused: Somehow, turning these settings up has actually affected normal steering action, as we've all found.

Setting DUMP to SMOOTH may actually help a bit, it's supposed to brake the servo before it returns to center. I should actually change my car over to that setting, see how much of an effect it creates. Although, I definitely don't have any more shaking so maybe it'll work as Kyosho intended? We'll see. :)

I dunno guys, lol... I'm sure we'll get this sorted out eventually, but I got my car from Reflex and Philip got them from his shipment, two different sources, and both cars work beautifully with the settings Philip found beforehand. Perhaps try putting ST.GAIN all the way back to stock (90?) and GAIN to STRONG, and then calling Kyosho and asking "wtf, mate..." :rolleyes:

VAzRACER
2009.12.02, 11:56 PM
Color,

Setting the dump to smooth allows the servo to roll back. Setting it to over applies a brake first.

Skv012a
2009.12.03, 04:00 PM
Mine seems alright save the servo jittering constantly, but at least its not jerking around. Any solutions for this one or time will tell?

color01
2009.12.03, 04:21 PM
Color,

Setting the dump to smooth allows the servo to roll back. Setting it to over applies a brake first.
Can you clarify this for me, Vaz? The Kyosho manual says that the only difference should be the timing with which the servo gets braked, not the actual amount/speed with which it is braked. Does setting it to SMOOTH make the servo return slowly? :confused:

Skv-- let the servo jitter. The new servo makes many more corrections with a finer resolution than the old one, that's why it jitters a little bit constantly. You'll appreciate the precision the little bit of noise brings.

CristianTabush
2009.12.03, 04:24 PM
It should actually brake harder with over. Like having stronger brakes on a car. Smooth, slows down as it is centering with less force...

EMU
2009.12.03, 04:27 PM
I usually use SMOOTH. Over is good for tight tracks, but I prefer smooth on the high speed tracks with many sweepers.

Skv012a
2009.12.03, 05:09 PM
Skv-- let the servo jitter. The new servo makes many more corrections with a finer resolution than the old one, that's why it jitters a little bit constantly. You'll appreciate the precision the little bit of noise brings.

No doubt, but I figure its like motor noise when ST TRAVEL is set too high, so reducing it to the threshold should make it easier on the poor coreless thing, no?

color01
2009.12.03, 11:37 PM
There's a difference, one is the motor stalling and heating up its coils for no reason, and the one that occurs with the 03 is just many steering corrections per second. Of course, if it sounds like it's going to die, then find a way in the ICS settings to calm it down, but otherwise, let digital servos do their job. :)

I'll just have to try out the Smooth setting next time I have access to an ICS computer, I'm kind of curious if it'll make the car easier to track coming out onto the straight.

pedrocamp
2009.12.04, 11:35 AM
I picked up my MR03 last night, a chassis kit. Fit the rear end off my 02; 94-98 pod, custom side damper and K yellow shock, QTEQ diff. I used a PN #4 T-plate and green springs up front. 98mm wb with small dia K30 F and small dia K20 rears. Ferrari 430 body off the 02. I did no ICS changes. No front ride height change. The car was hooked up. Very nice, precise steering. Very good transitions. I didn't have to constantly correct it like I have to do with the A-Arm front end (which I took off my 02 chassis and went back to the WTFv1). I still do run the A-Arm on my LM 102 wb car, the wheelbase length calms the front end. The 03 front end has more aggresive turn-in than the WTFv1 and more precise than the A-Arm. I will buy another.
The car I bought is a "1st batch" I guess, no solder on the tabs. I had no glitching or excessive noise issues with the servo as some report. The car worked as you would hope. I connected up the car to the ICS and the program was set to default as the ICS program shows, not at STRONG as I saw mentioned. I tried your program Brian and had the same results as the other 3 cars I tried, shakes when set to STRONG. I set to SMOOTH, shakes. I set the sliders to 1 on both steering and throttle, shakes. Set the steering to MID, no shakes. I will try the car next time with the program other than the steering set to MID.
Overall I am very happy with the chassis.

Traveler
2009.12.04, 11:54 AM
Congrats on getting a good one Pedro. Glad you got yours dialed so easily :)When you get a chance, try some relatively new tires on the front and let me know how it does.

color01
2009.12.04, 07:56 PM
I've updated my blog post to reflect the difficulty in getting the servo not to shake on STRONG GAIN. Set it to MID and it should be fine, basically. :)

I'll continue to play around with the ICS as opportunity allows to figure out why my car and Philip's act differently, but till then let's just keep the GAIN setting to MID. ;)

pedrocamp
2009.12.05, 04:13 AM
I will try some new tires Traveller next time I am at HS. You will need to try your car at HS and maybe even with my tires. My car didn't even softly whisper traction roll, if anything I could pitch it into a corner hard and get a nice, controllable drift, fun but not fast.
I really hope we can solve this ICS mystery. There is a clue in the different behaviors my cars experienced when bound to a KO and an M8. Though I did switch to the KO because of better performance from the KO when used with the Z's. I will have to borrow MM's 3PK and see what that does for me when I program. Maybe I am not holding my mouth right? We need more feedback from other 03 owners who have attempted to program.

herman
2009.12.08, 01:29 AM
I keep reading "light" everywhere, could someone please weigh a stock 02 and 03 with or without batteries and post the numbers?
in response to skv012a's inquiry in the new mr-03 (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32283&page=47) thread (post 699) i finally got around to post some chassis weights...

l-r : mr03, mr02 (am-mm), mr015 (am - rm), mr01 (am - rm)
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0044.jpg

notes:

weighed the following chassis three times on a digital weighing scale...

with no tires or rims (but with the 4 stock plastic bushings for the front wheel, and another 4 plastic bushings in the rear - two where the gear diff goes and one for each outer rear rim)

with out any body clips (but with the two screws in the chassis)

with antenna and crystal for am chassis

here we go...

mr01 (am - rm) 81 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0048.jpg

mr015 (am - rm) 82 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0053.jpg

mr02 (am - mm) 81 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0055.jpg

mr03 (asf - mm) 74 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0058.jpg

mr02 (asf - rm) 77 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0059.jpg

mr015 (asf - rm) 78 grams
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/IMG_0061.jpg

herman
2009.12.08, 01:38 AM
in summary...

mr01 (am - rm) 81 grams
mr015 (am - rm) 82 grams
mr02 (am - mm) 81 grams

mr03 (asf - mm) 74 grams
mr02 (asf - rm) 77 grams
mr015 (asf - rm) 78 grams

from the above, the mr03 is indeed the lightest... add that to the quicker response from the new servo motor... you will have a light and nimble feeling chassis going around the track... :D

so i guess my "feeling light" driving experience wasn't unfounded for me after all... :D

herman
2009.12.08, 02:04 AM
took a picture of the motor tabs... kinda looks weird... is this a first or second release... can't really say for sure...

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/chassis%20comparison/motortabs.jpg

hmm... after i put the motor wires back on... i'm experiencing servo shakes while going forward as well... it's not a constant shake, just a single sudden jerk left or right then straight kinda shake...

initially i would experience this while going in reverse... odd... really odd... any solution to this?

only experienced this while gunning the throttle full forward and in full reverse, with the whole chassis in the air... wonder how it will be if i put the chassis down on the floor and check out how it goes... have to go to a bigger place to test it though...

anybody else have a similar experience?

MINI-D
2009.12.08, 02:53 AM
herman, thanks for the post: the wait (er weight) i mean is over... :cool:
I am sorry you are experiencing servo shakes. :mad:
this may help when Tjay posts it?

"One of our local driver figured out the steering glitch. We'll post it later when I get my 03 back from kyosho. Stay tuned..."

all the best to you.

D

MINI-D
2009.12.08, 03:27 AM
Brian Ma , I just want to THANK YOU!, I have learned so much from your
posts and your TinyRC Blog. :D:D:D

D

Traveler
2009.12.08, 04:19 AM
took a picture of the motor tabs... kinda looks weird... is this a first or second release... can't really say for sure...

Wish I could get such clear pics. That's what my board looks like which is being referred to as the 2nd batch.

ianc
2009.12.08, 09:57 AM
Herman,

Thanks for the weights. However, I must disagree with your methodology in weighing the chassis.

You should not include the weight of the motor, motor mount, diff, or top shock in your weights. These are pieces that people commonly swap on the car and they add too much variability. What never changes is the weight of the chassis itself without these pieces (or batteries), although in the case of the 03, it would be interesting to weigh the chassis configured as both wide and narrow.

I would also leave off the bushings and wheels nuts as well. These parts can also be changed and add aditional variability...

ianc

CristianTabush
2009.12.08, 10:48 AM
Well, if it helps any at all, My MR-03, ready to race, with a Ferrari F430 body (which is 36 grams) and a core transponder comes in at 175 grams :P With the Lexus, which is 32 grams, it is 171!!! I have never had an 02 under like 178 g ready to race...

chad508
2009.12.08, 12:11 PM
ct are you running these at 96 are 94

CristianTabush
2009.12.08, 12:42 PM
94 right now, I still don't have the 96mm plates in... Should be here soon though. I have been running stock lately because that is what my club runs and maybe, just maybe 94 might be quicker than the 96 on our small 7 second/lap track... Won't know until I get to test it though. :)

herman
2009.12.09, 04:12 AM
Herman,

Thanks for the weights. However, I must disagree with your methodology in weighing the chassis.

You should not include the weight of the motor, motor mount, diff, or top shock in your weights. These are pieces that people commonly swap on the car and they add too much variability. What never changes is the weight of the chassis itself without these pieces (or batteries), although in the case of the 03, it would be interesting to weigh the chassis configured as both wide and narrow.

I would also leave off the bushings and wheels nuts as well. These parts can also be changed and add aditional variability...

ianc

hi ianc... thanks for your input... you indeed prove a good and valid point...

at the time, weighing the chassis "as is" in it's stock form was the easiest way for me...

i usually keep them stock for some reason... and that reason is basically i have no reason to modify most of them... the farthest i'd probably go would be bearings, h or t plate... and maybe a ball diff... hmm i digress...

anyway, my point was basically to compare "apples02 am" vs. ''apples02 asf'' vs. "apples03"...

er... like how much would a mr02 mm am weigh vs. a mr02 mm asf vs. a mr03 mm asf? (unfortunately though i didn't have a mr02 mm asf available) and comparatively do a track test to find out how would they run or perform against each other given these weights...

probably to take it a step further, add weights such that the three chassis would be equal, and track test them again... and find out how they perform against each other...

however, in placing weights, you would have to consider the exact location on the chassis where you would add the extra weights, since placing them on different points would definitely change the whole c.g. of the whole chassis.... and probably affect the performance and handling depending where they are... :D

in general ("stock" terms that is), i still think it's quite valid to say.... (from the weights of the chassis)... that the mr03 is the lightest of the bunch... and thus for me at least, driving it around gave me a ''lighter feeling" - stock vs. stock compared to the others i've driven around

:D

Rune
2009.12.09, 05:44 PM
First track test for my 03.
Ecuipped with RR side damper, QteQ/ PN/ Reflex differential.

Other option parts are PN T bar #5, and PN spring set.

II find it hard to get enough turn in with this car. Red springs works great initially, but the car understeers badly in the middle of the turn. White springs seems to be to stiff, and the result is very bad turn in, but good in the middle to exit. I ended up with green. The worked quite well. (GPM 25 & 30 shore are the only tires we use).

The rear end worked flawlessly. The rear grip was very very good as always with the side damper setup.

i guess the #6 T plate will make the turn in a little better for me.

I compared the car directly to my well used 02 with side damper and WTF2. The lap times are actually quite similar, but the 02 is about 1 tenth better regarding hotlap.

The car itself worked really good. Very precise steering, nice throttle control. And it is as mentioned before, very light.

I think this car needs some static camber. Hopefully this will be available in the near future.
It has a very good potential, and I think this will be the car to beat once I find a proper setup.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/Sx2TrCvQuSI/AAAAAAAAA-I/KkIsuxV7ZMs/s1024/IMG_5153.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/Sx2TvGlJpnI/AAAAAAAAA-w/8xNFku4xBCY/s1024/IMG_5160.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/Sx2TtEjyaHI/AAAAAAAAA9Y/M3BqWH3ihH8/s1024/IMG_5157.JPG

Felix2010
2009.12.09, 06:39 PM
Hi Rune,

Great pics. I am going to try one of my 03's with the RR Side Damper soon also. Just been fiddling with the ICS settings for a while now and not the actual car's suspension.:)

You said your car is understeering. Instead of going harder on the T-plate, go softer, maybe a PN #4. I have found that when rotation and turning radius is not good enough it is usually do to chassis suspension stiffness, especially when the rear grip is good enough. This might sound different from the usual I know, but it worked for me.

herman
2009.12.09, 09:04 PM
herman, thanks for the post: the wait (er weight) i mean is over... :cool:
I am sorry you are experiencing servo shakes. :mad:
this may help when Tjay posts it?

"One of our local driver figured out the steering glitch. We'll post it later when I get my 03 back from kyosho. Stay tuned..."

all the best to you.

D

well it's not a constant shake (reminiscent of ye ole mr01 steering servo shakes) but just a single shake... er it's more of a quick jerk to the left or right then going back to center when you go full throttle forward tap the brakes and go into reverse, and just after i took the pics (while taking the motor wires off then putting them back on), it now appears to happen when i go forwards... kinda spooky if you're leading in a race, going down the straight... when all of a sudden this kind of thing happens...

guess for now, i'll have to live with it for the time being... no worries, not too much of a biggie for me... just hope it doesn't blow... :D

herman
2009.12.09, 09:07 PM
Wish I could get such clear pics. That's what my board looks like which is being referred to as the 2nd batch.

thanks for the compliment... the picture was actually a big file... and i kinda cropped the picture... a lot... luckily it didn't loose too much resolution...

oh so this is what they call the second batch.... :D

color01
2009.12.10, 04:24 AM
I think it's the preload that's hurting this car right now -- I managed to get some turn-in back into the front end by reducing the preload on the front springs. I used short spring perches to replace the stock MR03 piece, but you could probably cut the springs too if you're careful. Waiting on someone to release low-ride-height springs. :rolleyes:

Rune
2009.12.10, 05:46 AM
I think it's the preload that's hurting this car right now -- I managed to get some turn-in back into the front end by reducing the preload on the front springs. I used short spring perches to replace the stock MR03 piece, but you could probably cut the springs too if you're careful. Waiting on someone to release low-ride-height springs. :rolleyes:

Yes. I agree.
The car is so stable "on throttle", that it could definetly handle a lot less preload. I will test some more tonight.

But i also think that a bit stiffer T-bar would help with turn in. From the beginning of the side damper systems, it was quickly discovered that it works better with very hard T-plates. On the 02 I usually use the 3R hard. And that is a lot! stiffer than PN and Kyosho hard.

I will do a test tonight with a #4 plate just to see if this can loosen up the rear a bit on turn in.

Felix2010
2009.12.10, 10:37 AM
Hi Rune,

Yeah, I know the RR Side Damper seems to like harder T-plates.:D I bought a 3R Hard T-plate just because I thought the Kyosho Hard was too soft. But what I noticed was the car's rotation suffered greatly when I started using the 3R Hard T-plate. The car doesn't want to "flex" around the T-plate's "pivot-point", so it actually made my car not wan to turn as well.

I think that you run on regapol, and I run on RCP (standard-USA issue:D), so maybe the harder T-plate will work for your track. But I just wanted to give you an idea to try.:)

Let me know how it works out!:):)

Rune
2009.12.10, 11:18 AM
Hi Rune,

Yeah, I know the RR Side Damper seems to like harder T-plates.:D I bought a 3R Hard T-plate just because I thought the Kyosho Hard was too soft. But what I noticed was the car's rotation suffered greatly when I started using the 3R Hard T-plate. The car doesn't want to "flex" around the T-plate's "pivot-point", so it actually made my car not wan to turn as well.

I think that you run on regapol, and I run on RCP (standard-USA issue:D), so maybe the harder T-plate will work for your track. But I just wanted to give you an idea to try.:)

Let me know how it works out!:):)

Yes. I am definitely trying it tonight. thnaks for the tip.

Felix2010
2009.12.10, 09:03 PM
Yes. I am definitely trying it tonight. thnaks for the tip.

Cool, no problem. I hope I can help. If you should find that the harder T-plate works better in making your car rotate then I will follow your results.:)

BTW- All your cars look great:D:D Nice setups for sure:D

Cheers:D

arch2b
2009.12.13, 06:38 PM
ok, i feel confident in posting my experience now that i have mine back from kyosho. :)

i got mine from here the day they were available. 3 days later, opened the box and paired it to my helios. noisy servo but noise doesn't bother me provided it works as it should, and it does. no shakes, twitches, or anything, just rock solid.

give it some throttle and nothing... checked, fets are fine. the motor buzzes so it's getting some juice but obviously not enough. same problem with reverse. i check all the settings, nada. pair it to my kt-18, nada. mike pairs it to his helios, nada. check it with a multi-meter and under full throttle, it's putting less than .18 volts to the motor.

so, box it up, email support and send it in. a couple days later i email to check up and they got it and were testing. oddly enough they were not able to reproduce the problem and said it worked fine and shipped it back the same day. couple days later, i got it back and sure enough, it works brilliantly.

so, not sure what to say about the matter other than kyosho was quick to respond, easy to reach and very quick with service. i have my car and it runs straight, true and quickly :)

btw, it appears they did put the dabs of solder on the board in the process.

Skv012a
2009.12.13, 08:36 PM
ok, i feel confident in posting my experience now that i have mine back from kyosho. :)

i got mine from here the day they were available. 3 days later, opened the box and paired it to my helios. noisy servo but noise doesn't bother me provided it works as it should, and it does. no shakes, twitches, or anything, just rock solid.

give it some throttle and nothing... checked, fets are fine. the motor buzzes so it's getting some juice but obviously not enough. same problem with reverse. i check all the settings, nada. pair it to my kt-18, nada. mike pairs it to his helios, nada. check it with a multi-meter and under full throttle, it's putting less than .18 volts to the motor.

so, box it up, email support and send it in. a couple days later i email to check up and they got it and were testing. oddly enough they were not able to reproduce the problem and said it worked fine and shipped it back the same day. couple days later, i got it back and sure enough, it works brilliantly.

so, not sure what to say about the matter other than kyosho was quick to respond, easy to reach and very quick with service. i have my car and it runs straight, true and quickly :)

btw, it appears they did put the dabs of solder on the board in the process.

Glad to hear they fixed yours, I say we run these in the mod class for BTE on the 19th to truly test them out.

I think I took care of my ghetto rear pod/suspension to allow it to at least make it through a heat or two without crapping DDS parts lol.

dvsstrike
2009.12.27, 09:47 AM
i just tested my 03 and I thinkits ok right now. i have tied my fastest time on my track at 6.39. the car needs more turn in, on exit. i think camber knucles would help it. my set up.
body nissan gtr gt500
wheels +2 front with 30 fronts
+2 rear with 20 wides
front spring pn mr02 green
rear pn #5 plate ssg
RR side dampner
atomic med friction grease
kyosho green spring
35wt oil
forgot the droop setting(shock length)
running 98mm

a set of 1.5 knucles would mak this car great

dvsstrike
2009.12.27, 11:54 AM
another bad issue i see is the front ride height(pre load) its to high. i tried cutting the stock springs and it worked ok but the rate was too soft.

dvsstrike
2010.01.01, 07:34 AM
i still like my mr02

Traveler
2010.01.01, 08:28 AM
another bad issue i see is the front ride height(pre load) its to high. i tried cutting the stock springs and it worked ok but the rate was too soft.

Try the new PN long king pins. They allow you to shim the knuckles up and still have plenty of travel. I'm at 1.2mm below the knuckles and it seems like it gives me a better front ride hight.

MantisMMA
2010.01.01, 03:27 PM
i just tested my 03 and I thinkits ok right now. i have tied my fastest time on my track at 6.39. the car needs more turn in, on exit. i think camber knucles would help it. my set up.
body nissan gtr gt500
wheels +2 front with 30 fronts
+2 rear with 20 wides
front spring pn mr02 green
rear pn #5 plate ssg
RR side dampner
atomic med friction grease
kyosho green spring
35wt oil
forgot the droop setting(shock length)
running 98mm

a set of 1.5 knucles would mak this car great

i was having trouble getting the 98mm car to turn in too, i solved by going with wide fronts -1, k20 slix, green springs. crazy as it sounds it works!! right now i think the +2 fronts are hurting turn in for you, try 0's and pn15's if ya dont want to go with wides. that worked well but not as good as the wides.