PDA

View Full Version : Custom Made Water Slide Decals

Davey G
2009.11.03, 07:19 PM
Hey All,

In 1/10th scale I have someone make me tricolor vinyl decals with my sponsors logos and always thought it looked cool because all the stickers are the same exact colors. I wanted to accomplish the same look on a mini z but knew vinyl would be way too much weight. Ive had the waterslide decal stuff for about a month now but never got a chance to print and apply them. Well today was the day. I used TESTORS brand decal sheets and took a chance and used my usual clearcoat that I use on the mini z bodies for sealing. Cut each decal out (UGH) with an exacto knife, applied, re-cleared the entire body and VIOLA!!!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/waterslide1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/Dgraboski/waterslide2.jpg

bermbuster
2009.11.03, 07:23 PM
Dave they look awesome but your name decals are kinda big....:cool:

lfisminiz
2009.11.03, 07:30 PM
Looks good Dave. Now how about some 3c decals for us customers for our cars.........;):D

dxm2
2009.11.03, 08:04 PM
Looks Great! What kind of printer did you use?

killa g
2009.11.04, 12:12 AM
Those look really slick Dave!!! NIce work.

Sponge
2009.11.04, 02:29 AM
To be honest, the decals are pretty nice, but I really don't like the colors.. They're just too yellow.. full color decals would have fitted the car better, in my opinion :)

B-main
2009.11.04, 02:49 AM
sweet can you match almost all colors

MINI-D
2009.11.04, 04:10 AM
Sponge,
the new paint job and avatar :eek: your looking good dude. :cool:
BTW, how was your first race, I hope most of all it was FUN! :D

D

MINI-D
2009.11.04, 04:52 AM
Hi Davey G,
I would like to know if you do this type of painting ?
and decals ?

Thank you.

D

Sponge
2009.11.04, 06:33 AM
Sponge,
the new paint job and avatar :eek: your looking good dude. :cool:
BTW, how was your first race, I hope most of all it was FUN! :D

D
It's next friday ;) (nov. 13th) (if i'm able to fix a ride home:rolleyes:)

Samael76
2009.11.04, 06:34 AM
Hi Davey G,
I would like to know if you do this type of painting ?
and decals ?

Thank you.

D

I made those decals in photoshop, and they are printed with an Alps printer on waterslide paper.

Davey G
2009.11.04, 12:24 PM
Dave they look awesome but your name decals are kinda big....:cool:

Knowing that I had to cut these out with an exacto knife I went big.

Looks Great! What kind of printer did you use?
Just a plain jane HP Inkjet

To be honest, the decals are pretty nice, but I really don't like the colors.. They're just too yellow.. full color decals would have fitted the car better, in my opinion :)
I figured someone would have said this, the guy who does my tri color vinyl stickers for my 1/10th scale stuff never liked these colors either. I like em...thats all that matters. LOL ;)

sweet can you match almost all colors
I do all my work in photoshop, I can guarantee the printer will print exactly the same as the photo but I can come very close.

MINI-D
2009.11.04, 12:30 PM
Hi Samael76,
I was so impressed by your work on the McLaren's, that I wanted to see if
Davey G could do something like it ?. the McLaren GTR's and F1 GTR Mini-z
are my personal favorite. :D I have six, :eek: two are white body sets I
want to have painted. I love the colors and graphics you used. :p GREAT work
Samael76. I hope you don't mind me using your pictures ?.

so how about it Davey G, do you this type of painting ? :D

Thank you both!

D

Davey G
2009.11.04, 01:38 PM
I can def do the paintwork but I do not have an ALPS printer. AS you can see the ALPS printer can print white, this I cannot do. My custom stickers were done on white water transfer paper not clear, hence why I had to be so precise with the exacto knife.

I am not looking to make stickers for anyone, just wanted to show my own custom sticker work. Its a TON of work.... :p

Sponge
2009.11.04, 01:51 PM
I figured someone would have said this, the guy who does my tri color vinyl stickers for my 1/10th scale stuff never liked these colors either. I like em...thats all that matters. LOL ;)
That's indeed the most important thing :D ;)

A lot of people said to me that blue and orange really couldn't fit together and that it'll come out ugly.. but I think it looks pretty (going to do all future body's this way now:D) and that's all that matters ;)

PridgeoK
2009.11.04, 03:00 PM
Hey guys,

For the HP printer, I'm very curious what type of decal-paper you used? Where did you buy it?

In relation to the printers used for the water-slide decals, Davey - you mentioned that you used a standard HP inkjet printer, and Samael76 mentioned he uses an Alps printer. Looks like they are both able to do the trick and produced some good looking results.

If you were making decals occasionally, would it really be worth it to dish out some money for an Alps printer, or could I get away with using my cheap-o Epson inkjet (and knowing that an HP was used here is encouraging)? Can anyone give some insight into what the main benefits of those Alps printers are? I mean... is there a considerable difference in quality?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Sponge
2009.11.04, 03:12 PM
I think the main feature of a Alps printer is, that you can print white :D

briankstan
2009.11.04, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

For the HP printer, I'm very curious what type of decal-paper you used? Where did you buy it?

In relation to the printers used for the water-slide decals, Davey - you mentioned that you used a standard HP inkjet printer, and Samael76 mentioned he uses an Alps printer. Looks like they are both able to do the trick and produced some good looking results.

If you were making decals occasionally, would it really be worth it to dish out some money for an Alps printer, or could I get away with using my cheap-o Epson inkjet (and knowing that an HP was used here is encouraging)? Can anyone give some insight into what the main benefits of those Alps printers are? I mean... is there a considerable difference in quality?

Thanks,

Kevin.

I've made several custom water slide decals. you can get the paper in clear or in white. the clear has it's advantages if you are using darker colors on lighter bodies. but on dark bodies where you need to have a white background to offset the color on the decal you need to use the white paper. Since is is white you have to trim the decal to the size and shape that you want visible, this can be very difficult and time consuming.

Using the water slide decal with any ink jet printer is possible, the most important thing is that you seal the image with a good clear coat and let if completely dry prior to trying to install them on the body. if you don't seal them when you put them in the water the ink will wash off.

here are a few of my custom decals

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/Dragon3.jpg

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/775/medium/Custom_mustang_036a.jpg http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/gallery/1/thumb_1_03_04_08_11_54_22_2.JPG

I can't forget my custom plates...

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/Orange_Murcielago_Finished2.jpg

Davey G
2009.11.04, 03:44 PM
Exactly Briankstan.....When I prepared my file I made a very thin black outline outside of my white edge so that I had something to trace when I got in there with the exacto knife there was some sort fo consistency. Obviously the black thin line got cut off and was considered waste.

Nice body pics!!!!

Skv012a
2009.11.04, 03:47 PM
Nice stuff, I know these have the thin/flexible advantage over my mailing label sticker technique, but sadly the same flaws are present- images are done with ink rather than paint like on real, professional stickers/decals/etc.

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq249/skv0124/MiniZ/FD-Faith_1.jpg
http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq249/skv0124/MiniZ/Z33RQ_1.jpg

PridgeoK
2009.11.04, 07:27 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the replies, guys. Great looking cars, too!! I think I'll be giving this a whirl on my cheapo-inkjet here to see how it looks. Trial and error is probably the best method, so that's what I'll do.

I know there's a printing company somewhat nearby who will do custom jobs for people on a high-end Alps printer, so if it comes to the point where I just can't make the decals on this beast, I'll dish out a few bucks for the pro's to print it for me. :rolleyes:

Kev.

briankstan
2009.11.04, 09:26 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the replies, guys. Great looking cars, too!! I think I'll be giving this a whirl on my cheapo-inkjet here to see how it looks. Trial and error is probably the best method, so that's what I'll do.

I know there's a printing company somewhat nearby who will do custom jobs for people on a high-end Alps printer, so if it comes to the point where I just can't make the decals on this beast, I'll dish out a few bucks for the pro's to print it for me. :rolleyes:

Kev.

if I have any of the lambo decals that I can find, I'll put them in the package I'll be sending you...

Samael76
2009.11.04, 11:28 PM
Awesome pictures!!! :)

I think the main feature of a Alps printer is, that you can print white :D

And Gold, and silver... :cool:

But finding an buying an Alps printer just for printing white isnt worth it imho. Just look at Daveyīs, briankstanīs and Skvīs work.