PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Swing Shaft AWD

tokeco
2009.11.04, 09:25 AM
Hey is it my style of drying or do all the AWD experience problems with the front Swing Shafts when used on an RCP Track? The original Kyosho plastic swing shaft keeps spliting at the joint hence I loose traction on the wheel? Is this normal and will it be solved by just upgrading to either Alum or Titanium shafts?

Thanks

z3zinho
2009.11.04, 10:22 AM
They tend to brake after a while, specially with upgraded motors. Go with some good upgrade swing shafts and that should solve your problems.

Just be careful, that by upgrading one part on the drive-train, you are putting more stress on another one. If you are still running stock diff's, that will be the next thing to go...;)

ianc
2009.11.04, 11:25 AM
Also, since all of the wheels are trying to turn at the same speed, if your wheel\tire combination has a different diameter from front to rear, you're going to be putting a lot of stress on your drivetrain, so take a look at that...

ianc

Cherub1m
2009.11.04, 11:31 AM
Hey is it my style of drying or do all the AWD experience problems with the front Swing Shafts when used on an RCP Track? The original Kyosho plastic swing shaft keeps spliting at the joint hence I loose traction on the wheel? Is this normal and will it be solved by just upgrading to either Alum or Titanium shafts?

Thanks

Also, if you are running the stock gear diff, the stock swing shafts will always break, split at the joints, especially during heavy load around a corner. I still run the Kyosho stock swing shaft but I run ball diffs front and rear with no problem. I also don't run a 33T motor on my AWD the most powerfull motor Ive run with the current set up is the Atomic stock R(still a very strong motor). I like the AWD gear diff but they are not very strong the spider gears inside break to easily.

tokeco
2009.11.04, 07:57 PM
Thanks, will be installing the following:

1. Kyosho MDW009 (Front) Hard Universal Swing
2. Atomic T.A.R. SP Ball Diff (TAR-181) - Front
3. Kyosho MDW018 (Rear) Ball Diff Set - retain original swing shaft..

The off to the track for stress testing!!!

ianc
2009.11.05, 10:53 AM
Have not tried the Kyoshos, but have used the 3R heavy duty steels, and they are bullet proof (and cheap),

ianc

addicted
2009.11.05, 11:46 AM
Atomic Titanium ones here :)