PDA

View Full Version : Ball Diff Slop problem

JeremyC
2009.11.05, 01:12 AM
I have an unknown brand ball diff that I am fitting to an Atomic 94/98 MM Version III mount. When screwing down the worm gear on the non-spur side there is excessive slop in the rear axle. To be clear, the flat portion of the axle is not long enough to allow the round aluminum part with the worm gear to be close enough to the motor mount. There is at least 1mm of play in the rear end.

From reading other posts it sounds like people have used washers to resolve this problem, and to center the rear axle. Where can I get these washers? Are they sold at a hardware store; and if so do you know what size to look for? Is there another solution?

-Jer

bermbuster
2009.11.05, 07:04 AM
I have an unknown brand ball diff that I am fitting to an Atomic 94/98 MM Version III mount. When screwing down the worm gear on the non-spur side there is excessive slop in the rear axle. To be clear, the flat portion of the axle is not long enough to allow the round aluminum part with the worm gear to be close enough to the motor mount. There is at least 1mm of play in the rear end.

From reading other posts it sounds like people have used washers to resolve this problem, and to center the rear axle. Where can I get these washers? Are they sold at a hardware store; and if so do you know what size to look for? Is there another solution?

-Jer

PN and Atomic make spacers/washers to center or take out any play.

TannerT
2009.11.05, 10:06 AM
I have the same problem with an Atomic V2 diff. Except there is to much of a space between the mount and flat part of the diff. What do PN and Atomic call the washers? I've searched a couple of different sites and they don't call them "diff spacer/washer".

arch2b
2009.11.05, 10:22 AM
the flat spot should be easily extendable if i understand correctly with a flat file. radio shack sells a cheap but effect set of small various shaped files that have served me well for years. does nothing for you if you have to recenter the diff though.

briankstan
2009.11.05, 10:38 AM
I have the same problem with an Atomic V2 diff. Except there is to much of a space between the mount and flat part of the diff. What do PN and Atomic call the washers? I've searched a couple of different sites and they don't call them "diff spacer/washer".

They are called shims... PN part # 700401

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/images/700401-500.jpg (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92_119&products_id=220)

Traveler
2009.11.05, 10:41 AM

-Jer

Doubt you will find them at a WH store as they are very small and metric. The size you need is 3x5mm. I use Atomic part #TS-044 which includes 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm thickness spacers (10ea.). I know PN makes some too, but don't know the part #. Hope this helps!

JeremyC
2009.11.05, 11:38 AM
You guys are awesome. thank you..

TannerT
2009.11.05, 11:55 AM
They are called shims... PN part # 700401

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/images/700401-500.jpg (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92_119&products_id=220)

Ah, I saw those but I didn't know if they would work for sure. Thanks for clearing that up. Does anyone know what the other 2 sizes of shims are for?

briankstan
2009.11.05, 12:08 PM
Ah, I saw those but I didn't know if they would work for sure. Thanks for clearing that up. Does anyone know what the other 2 sizes of shims are for?

The bottom ones are great for shimming your knuckles to lower your ride heights, use in conjunction with the low down front springs.

I use the middle shims to fix the tweak in my F1's. Hope that helps.

TannerT
2009.11.05, 12:18 PM
Awesome, thanks!

JeremyC
2009.11.15, 07:12 PM
I got this shim set, and they work very well. I used some to lower the front of the car, and of course used the others to shim the ball diff.

The first diff I shimmed needed the shims put on the right hand side of the car. I was measuring the wheels from the center line, and the right was too far in. By putting the shims over there it pulled the recessed area for the worm gear out, and the diff worked well.

I think putting the shim on the right side has an added benefit in that the threads for the diff tension nut are not hitting the bearing that sits in the motor mount.

I've since put a different ball diff in the car and put a single shim on the drive side, and it works well. These shims are highly recommended to have on hand. I will say that they slide off the axle very easily and are so small they are easily forgotten. I lost three in as many minutes.