PDA

View Full Version : "Stealth" RX Antenna?

Tinytacohead
2009.11.14, 06:29 AM
I have to assume this was covered previously at some point, somewhere, but will the AM system still have good reception if you bend the RX antenna so it stays concealed under the body? If not, is there a way to make it stealth, without converting to 2.4Ghz? Thanks!

LED
2009.11.14, 07:41 AM
As long as tou keep it straight I think you will be OK.
The lenght of an antenna is equil to 1 cycle of the frequency you are using (in this case 27 mhz). The higher the frequency the smaller the wave is, hence the smaller antenna on a 2.4 ghz and the big antenna on you car for the radio.
Trimming it will mean it wont be able to receive the whole cycle and you will loose reception.

Tinytacohead
2009.11.14, 05:41 PM
As long as tou keep it straight I think you will be OK.
The lenght of an antenna is equil to 1 cycle of the frequency you are using (in this case 27 mhz). The higher the frequency the smaller the wave is, hence the smaller antenna on a 2.4 ghz and the big antenna on you car for the radio.
Trimming it will mean it wont be able to receive the whole cycle and you will loose reception.

I'm a little confused.. did you mean to say as long as I don't shorten it? I see no possible way to keep it straight & hide it under the body, considering the length that sticks out is nearly as long as the car to begin with? :o

Skv012a
2009.11.14, 07:18 PM
I have to assume this was covered previously at some point, somewhere, but will the AM system still have good reception if you bend the RX antenna so it stays concealed under the body? If not, is there a way to make it stealth, without converting to 2.4Ghz? Thanks!

Those, even official Kyosho ones, never worked very well so either forget good functionality or using AM without a wire sticking outta the body. I recommend 2.4 upgrade for all the right reasons including this one.

Tinytacohead
2009.11.14, 07:30 PM
Those, even official Kyosho ones, never worked very well so either forget good functionality or using AM without a wire sticking outta the body. I recommend 2.4 upgrade for all the right reasons including this one.

That's what I figured. Unfortunately, dropping $160'ish on the radio system of a Mini-Z, is well beyond my limits for awhile though, (as well as a total ripoff :rolleyes:). Wish they'd made FM an option along the way at some point. Even if I still couldn't have a hidden antenna, at least I could use the TX I control most of my other RC's with. I haven't owned any AM equipment, till the Micro-T/Mini-Z, since 1994. :p Anywho, thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Action B
2009.11.14, 07:36 PM
That's what I figured. Unfortunately, dropping $160'ish on the radio system of a Mini-Z, is well beyond my limits for awhile though, (as well as a total ripoff :rolleyes:). Wish they'd made FM an option along the way at some point. Even if I still couldn't have a hidden antenna, at least I could use the TX I control most of my other RC's with. I haven't owned any AM equipment, till the Micro-T/Mini-Z, since 1994. :p Anywho, thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

Yes they are expensive. I'm with you on this one. The 2.4ghz are nice but I don't find myself at a huge disadvantage. My car rarely glitches. If they offered the PCB for a reasonable price then I'd reconsider.

Tinytacohead
2009.11.14, 07:45 PM
Yes they are expensive. I'm with you on this one. The 2.4ghz are nice but I don't find myself at a huge disadvantage. My car rarely glitches.

Yeah, I've no issues with functionality of the AM system, I'd basically just like to hide the antenna, lol. I mean, atleast for the price of the 2.4 swap, they could give us a higher quality TX.. Maybe at some point in the future I'll swap all my RC's to 2.4, utilizing a TX that will work with the Kyosho system, at which point it might be worth it.

wildthing
2009.12.13, 06:32 PM
I have seen an antenna that was "coiled" in one of my Auldey Race tin, maybe it will work?!?

herman
2009.12.13, 11:24 PM

what radio do you have? kyosho has made some modules that will enable you to use your high end radio to control your cars... from memory, there's an am, ad band, and 2.4ghz module that you can use... hope this helps...

Tinytacohead
2009.12.14, 01:46 AM
what radio do you have? kyosho has made some modules that will enable you to use your high end radio to control your cars... from memory, there's an am, ad band, and 2.4ghz module that you can use... hope this helps...

Thanks for the thought, but I'm on FM. All my RC's, other than the little guys, are controlled by an MX-3. The Z & Micro-T share the only AM TX I use. (AM Losi) Unfortunately my mCX is the only 2.4 I've got. Would love to upgrade to the 2.4 version of the MX-3 but I'm just not into RC/stuck in "real life" too much these days. :rolleyes: :p

Regarding a coiled up antenna, that'd be great, though being on AM I expect there'd be range issues. I could be wrong though/may try one out at some point if I remember & see them cheap enough somewhere I'm already ordering from. Thanks for the suggestion!

Skv012a
2009.12.14, 02:05 AM
I have seen an antenna that was "coiled" in one of my Auldey Race tin, maybe it will work?!?

Nope, thats what I was talking about. AM needs vertical length to receive well, so cramming that into a smaller area won't work.

AD band is FM unless I'm mistaken, so maybe that could be worth a look.

Tinytacohead
2009.12.14, 02:16 AM
...AD band is FM unless I'm mistaken, so maybe that could be worth a look.

Oh Ok, thx.

seanp2k
2010.03.01, 09:45 PM
Check out this site for more info on radios: http://mini-z-guide.com/radio.htm

Tinytacohead
2010.03.01, 10:27 PM
Check out this site for more info on radios: http://mini-z-guide.com/radio.htm

Thanks, always wanted a Mars. Guess I should have got one at some point, lol. Is there really the same delay getting into reverse, (per the above link), with all ASF radios? That would seem odd to me.