PDA

View Full Version : Bodies and Essentials and other questions.

Capt-Zoom
2009.11.17, 06:53 PM
So I just got me too Mini-z's and have some very general questions:

1. What is the typical range of a mini-z?

2. Is there are simple way to remove the mirrors on a body before racing? Or do you just break them off racing?

3. What's the diff between white bodies and autoscale bodies? Are the white one's clear coated? Do the white one's look good?

4. What are the essentials if you're going to go out and race with friends on a homemade track? What parts do you guys commonly break? Without a shop nearby we usually try to keep a lot of spare parts for our traxxas trucks...do you guys do the same for Mini-Zs

5. Any Tire set up ideas for hard tile or concrete racing? Whats with the degrees on the tires...is that how we adjust our camber?

6. If you have a HM chassis is there a simple kit to make it a 94mm MM or 94mm LM chassis?

Thanks.

JeremyC
2009.11.17, 07:46 PM
Look in red below.

So I just got me too Mini-z's and have some very general questions:

1. What is the typical range of a mini-z? I've never driven my car more than 30-40 yards or so from me, but it worked at that range. Some people report much less range.

2. Is there are simple way to remove the mirrors on a body before racing? Or do you just break them off racing? If you are really concerned about it looking right, I guess use finger nail clippers. Most people just let them break off in races.

3. What's the diff between white bodies and autoscale bodies? Are the white one's clear coated? Do the white one's look good? Autoscale bodies are made out of plastic that is nearly the same color as the paint on them; then a clearcoat of plastic is applied over the paint. Also all mirrors, lights, etc, are already in the car. Autoscales also come with wheels of the correct offset for the car.

A whitebody is made with white plastic and has no paint on it. They are designed for you to paint. The mirrors, 'glass', lights, etc, are not installed in the car. Since they don't come with paint and clearcoat they are bit lighter than their autoscale equivalent. Whitebody cars do not come with wheels, but do come with the front nose clip. The whitebody cars do not look as much like a 'model' but if you can airbrush well they look amazing.

4. What are the essentials if you're going to go out and race with friends on a homemade track? What parts do you guys commonly break? Without a shop nearby we usually try to keep a lot of spare parts for our traxxas trucks...do you guys do the same for Mini-Zs Bearings, tires, and carbon h-plates. You want the bearings because the standard bushings have a lot of play in them and wear quickly; so the car is more precise and noticeably faster.

Tires because the stock tires are basically useless. I have no clue what surface you are running on, but no matter what you'll want new tires. Also try to keep your track dust free as this will get on the tires and cause your traction to change drastically over the course of your race.

H-plates because the plastic ones that come with the cars are notorious for breaking. Carbon ones are generally regarded as the most durable and are very good performing.

In my experience the car bodies and nose clips seem to be more brittle than any other part of the car.

5. Any Tire set up ideas for hard tile or concrete racing? Whats with the degrees on the tires...is that how we adjust our camber? degree has nothing to do with camber; it has to do with how hard the tire is. The higher the degree the harder the rubber. These numbers are not useful between brands. Like, Brand A's 10 degree may be harder than Brand B's 10 degree..

For hard concrete... make sure it is as clean as possible. any kind of soft rubber is going to collect dirt and make your car impossible to drive. For tires I can't really say, but I'd guess the softest you can.

6. If you have a HM chassis is there a simple kit to make it a 94mm MM or 94mm LM chassis?You shouldn't make it an LM.

To make it 94mm MM you need to get a motor mount that will allow you to run 94mm MM; most every brand makes one. Note that 94mm MM is a tight fit and you have to be careful to make sure the rear suspension does not bind; it is pretty simple, but does require care. Look here: http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=367

Thanks.