PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with torque steer

Capt-Zoom
2009.11.18, 01:38 PM
How do you guys deal with torque steer? on acceleration my z wants to pull to one side.

Action B
2009.11.18, 01:59 PM
How do you guys deal with torque steer? on acceleration my z wants to pull to one side.

Awd or RWD? Smooth surface? What kind of tires?

addicted
2009.11.18, 01:59 PM
my AWD also does this (probably due to the unequal weight distribution!), so i'm also interested to see any solutions! :)

Capt-Zoom
2009.11.18, 03:38 PM
Awd or RWD? Smooth surface? What kind of tires?

RWD on stock tires and hard wood floor and tile. Doesn't do it on carpet. Do I need to shim the rear axel to solve this?

JeremyC
2009.11.18, 04:20 PM
RWD on stock tires and hard wood floor and tile. Doesn't do it on carpet. Do I need to shim the rear axel to solve this?

Are the rear tires spinning?

When I ran my car with stock tires on hardwood it was virtually undrivable because the car would slide so much. Since the surface is so low grip I don't think you are really able to put enough torque down to get torque steer....

I think tires are more likely your problem.

-Jer

briankstan
2009.11.18, 04:22 PM
^^ great minds think alike :)

tires, the tires that come with the cars are very hard and don't grip well on most surfaces. you are probably just spinning the rear wheels, you'll get a little more spin on the pinion side and thus causing your torque steer.

Action B
2009.11.18, 05:24 PM
^^ great minds think alike :)

tires, the tires that come with the cars are very hard and don't grip well on most surfaces. you are probably just spinning the rear wheels, you'll get a little more spin on the pinion side and thus causing your torque steer.

Hey! I helped too. This is where I was going with it!

Capt-Zoom
2009.11.18, 09:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips...yea the tires are spinning rather than gripping. Looking for new tires now.

BTW...has anybody ever figured out a way to get a RWD mini-z to drift well/accurately on a track? I'm curious about the setup.

JeremyC
2009.11.18, 09:37 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips...yea the tires are spinning rather than gripping. Looking for new tires now.

BTW...has anybody ever figured out a way to get a RWD mini-z to drift well/accurately on a track? I'm curious about the setup.

I've tried to drift my MR-02 (RWD) car and can really only do it in a circle. It is hard.

color01
2009.11.18, 11:32 PM
Plastic front tires and hard rubber rears seem to be the way to go. I managed a few laps around the small track at Inside Line and Fast Pace Racing with my MR015-MM, but it's still ridiculously hard.

The MR03's new gyro will definitely help out, but aside from that I'm not sure if there's a surefire RWD drift setup. I've been looking on and off for years... :rolleyes:

Capt-Zoom
2009.11.20, 05:19 PM
Plastic front tires and hard rubber rears seem to be the way to go. I managed a few laps around the small track at Inside Line and Fast Pace Racing with my MR015-MM, but it's still ridiculously hard.

The MR03's new gyro will definitely help out, but aside from that I'm not sure if there's a surefire RWD drift setup. I've been looking on and off for years... :rolleyes:

I wonder if the gyro can be adapted to older chassis/boards?