PDA

View Full Version : Witch Controller To Buy?

kimochi
2009.11.19, 03:12 AM
Hello I need help on what Controller I should buy. I am debating over the KO PROPO EX-5 UR and the EX-10 Helios. I am using the KT-18 and I am tired of not having any pre set settings when I switch cars. What is the major difference between them? Thanks for your help!

briankstan
2009.11.19, 07:45 AM
Both TX's are very similar in the features. a few highlight differences are

EX-1 UR has more model memories, it's a 4 channel compared to the 3 of the helios. the EX-1 UR is smaller so if you have small hands it seems to fit better.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either, both are a big upgrade from the KT-18. I've been using the EX-10 Helios for several years and think it's great. I even bought one for my son for Christmas last year.

ianc
2009.11.19, 11:11 AM
I am also given to understand that the Helios has the ability to download\upload car configurations to a computer, while the EX-1 cannot; a nice feature to backup your configs.

I do like the smaller size of the EX-1 though...

ianc

Skv012a
2009.11.19, 11:57 AM
If you can hunt down EX-1 Mars, I think its an optimal option for 2.4. You get all the bells of those fancy TXes without paying for faster AM response feature you might never use.

Action B
2009.11.19, 12:24 PM
If you can hunt down EX-1 Mars, I think its an optimal option for 2.4. You get all the bells of those fancy TXes without paying for faster AM response feature you might never use.

Hey Igor, do you have a picture of the mars? I've never seen one sounds interesting.

hrdrvr
2009.11.19, 01:58 PM
Brandon, the MARS looks just like the EX1UR, except it has some red stickers :D

Igor, dont jump so quick to call the Mars the same as the others. For AM there may not be an advantage to the quicker response, but it will be noticed with ASF. Since he is coming from a KT-18, he has to be running ASF, and if he is asking about the UR and helios specifically, I would hesitate to bring up a lesser Tx.

I heard a rumor that KO was going to be releasing a new EX-10, which would have the new features of the EX1UR, but it comes in the casing of the helios. I also thought I read somewhere that the EX1UR had higher reponse rate than the helios, but these two comments dont have anyl iturature to back them :D

Skv012a
2009.11.19, 02:19 PM
Brandon, the MARS looks just like the EX1UR, except it has some red stickers :D

Igor, dont jump so quick to call the Mars the same as the others. For AM there may not be an advantage to the quicker response, but it will be noticed with ASF. Since he is coming from a KT-18, he has to be running ASF, and if he is asking about the UR and helios specifically, I would hesitate to bring up a lesser Tx.

I heard a rumor that KO was going to be releasing a new EX-10, which would have the new features of the EX1UR, but it comes in the casing of the helios. I also thought I read somewhere that the EX1UR had higher reponse rate than the helios, but these two comments dont have anyl iturature to back them :D

Isn't it the other way around though, that UR helps substantially with AM but not as much with 2.4 as its already miles ahead by default? Personally I never saw response time as an issue, but all the trims and memory it offers over KT are very significant indeed.

kimochi
2009.11.20, 02:05 AM
Thanks for all the advice! Its good to know that it is a win win situation.:) I am most likely going to go with the Ex-5. It sounds like it should have more than enough features for me and its little easer on the wallet.

JeremyC
2009.11.20, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the advice! Its good to know that it is a win win situation.:) I am most likely going to go with the Ex-5. It sounds like it should have more than enough features for me and its little easer on the wallet.

Kimochi,

To be honest we haven't had any reports about the EX-5UR with Mini-z; the ASF version of this controller was recently released. Be sure to get the ASF version, and not the standard SS version.

The EX-5UR ASF box will clearly say ASF and "mini-z" on it. The controller also has blue lettering in the upper left that says ASF, the SS version has orange/red lettering.

Good luck. I'm thinking of getting one of the EX-5UR ASF's myself at some point... I found a couple japanese web sites that will get them to Brooklyn for $150 shipped, brand new.

-Jer

Sinister_Y
2009.11.20, 10:10 AM
You could also chose a JR-Z1 which I have. It's exactly the same as the EX-10 but longer warranty and comes with selectable FM frequency module which is good if you're ever going to run another scale.

Link to JR site:

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRP374075

Tjay
2009.11.20, 12:00 PM
Cheapest one you can probably get is the EX-1 UR, under $230 with the module. I like my 3PK though. ;) The resolution on my steering/throttle is just better. My mini-z feels like 10th scale on the track, more forgiving. Only thing is that 3PK costs $220 for just the tx then you have to spend $30 for the adaptor and another $80 for the module.

dxm2
2009.11.20, 12:52 PM
This is all good advice, and when you get to the level of the Helios or the 3Pk, you're not going to make a bad decision. I like the Helios becuase its got more features than I'll ever use and it works well with all my RCs. Also, I like KoProPo for the Mini-z because they also make the boards in the cars. The one thing I wouldn't do at this point is invest in FM or AM radio technology for any RC vehicle. 2.4Ghz was a huge improvement to the Mini-z that I don't know why anyone would even consider AM. I have a Spektrum module for my other cars and an ASF module for my Mini-z and an ICS cable to store and edit my profiles on my PC.

Tjay
2009.11.20, 01:03 PM
This is all good advice, and when you get to the level of the Helios or the 3Pk, you're not going to make a bad decision. I like the Helios becuase its got more features than I'll ever use and it works well with all my RCs. Also, I like KoProPo for the Mini-z because they also make the boards in the cars. The one thing I wouldn't do at this point is invest in FM or AM radio technology for any RC vehicle. 2.4Ghz was a huge improvement to the Mini-z that I don't know why anyone would even consider AM. I have a Spektrum module for my other cars and an ASF module for my Mini-z and an ICS cable to store and edit my profiles on my PC.

That is correct! If there's anyone here that has EX-1 UR, Helios and 3PK all at the same time, I would be one of them. :) KoPropo is definitely a great radio and all the function you get here is the same as the 3pk. It is just personal preferrence. :)

Definitely not worth the time to even build a basher AM cars... it must be ASF. :D

Psyfron
2010.03.30, 06:37 AM
Im running with the EX-1UR..
brilliant piece of gear, 30 model memory and all the options you could ever want...
the ex-5 is rumored to be a fraction quicker in response, but not noticeable, but it cant take the modules for other bands. so if you have older cars on the am or fm.... you cant use it..

futaba make great radio gear but..... for the mini-zs, as someone said, you cant go past the maker of the electronics in the car...