PDA

View Full Version : March 20, 2010 - HFAY S9 Race 3

arch2b
2009.11.22, 03:31 PM
this will be held at Hobby Works in Fairfax, Virginia.

arch2b
2010.01.08, 05:03 PM
This has been resheduled to coordinate with the endurance race at the Mushroom Bowl on the 13th.

ccson
2010.03.09, 09:06 PM
Anybody planning to practice on Saturday (March 13th) at Awesome RC or Hobbyworks?

I need to test my racer and F1 chasses and battery sets.

arch2b
2010.03.09, 09:12 PM
i'll be at the endurance race but if courtney has the space open, i left copies of the hfay tracks there.

Mike Keely
2010.03.10, 05:58 PM
Anybody planning to practice on Saturday (March 13th) at Awesome RC or Hobbyworks?

The enduro is now going to be ran in DC this Sat.

soyverde
2010.03.12, 07:21 AM

Bill and Rob will be running the HFAY layout at Awesome RC this Saturday. I think they're planning on running some HFAY time trials.

arch2b
2010.03.14, 11:51 AM
just a reminder, be there this coming weekend and try your best to be on time :) we have a schedule posted in the calendar thread. so far this season we've managed to get out of the store before 6pm every time.

i'll have my new 03 chassis and my car reassembled in time :) i'll be working my 02 out of my collection as soon as my 03 board is repaired so if anyone is looking for an 02 with pn a-arm setup i will be looking to sell shortly. i can't take a total loss on this one as i've recently given away plenty of stuff but i can make a good deal.

rene, i would seriously look into returning that pn 70t motor you bought for the endurance race. it's defective for sure and you should ask to have it replaced.

Mike Keely
2010.03.14, 06:37 PM
Was the motor what fried your board?

arch2b
2010.03.14, 09:04 PM
Was the motor what fried your board?

yep. it was running a bit hot but not critical mass hot. ended up melting the lead terminals into the solder blobs on the pads. i trimmed the rings to make sure it was shorting before installing.

LeProf
2010.03.15, 09:24 PM
Ray,

I was worried during practice, as the motor was running seriously hot, not that I have a lot of experience, but I haven't seen anything turning that hot that quick. I opened it on Sunday and notice that the some of the plastic at the end of the poles had melted... so I assumed they were touching the magnets, which must have lead to more friction and more heat.

Trowing a $10 motor in the garbage is nothing, frying a board is a piss off.

arch2b
2010.03.15, 09:46 PM
rene, i'm not worried about frying fets. they are cheap to replace. i would however return the motor for a new one. $10 is $10, a motor is a motor. that one is bad. don't throw it away.

arch2b
2010.03.15, 09:58 PM
i received rob and dwane's hfay times and will be submitting them before we run our normal date/time.

arch2b
2010.03.20, 08:50 PM
thank you guys for coming out to race today! we had 10 drivers for racer clockwise!

welcome to both seth and coulter, it was great to meet and race with you and look forward to racing many more times. courtney also got his car together and will be joining us :)

thanks to brandon for replacing the fets from the car i burt up last weekend at the endurance race. unfortunately, i burnt up the stock replacement car this morning :( i do not have good luck with mr-03's. i've already emailed kyosho regarding getting the board repaired/replaced.

ian, my transponders arrived today so i will give 3 new ones back to you next time. i gave seth, coulter and coutney a transponder for hfay.

other good news, i now own the kyosho ic lap timing system! i hope to break it out and give it a try very soon. i just couldn't get flipside to work with my 1st gen core unit and dnano's using generic transponders.

Laxracer
2010.03.20, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys for today.

I had a Blast :)

C

Laxracer
2010.03.20, 11:27 PM
I got home and cracked open the M11 manual. Needless to say the Dual rate, wasn't set right. I went back and reread the slip of paper that came with the PNRacng adapter. It said Max setting. I'm such a bone head. That would be why it was turning way to fast.

Action B
2010.03.21, 12:01 AM
I got home and cracked open the M11 manual. Needless to say the Dual rate, wasn't set right. I went back and reread the slip of paper that came with the PNRacng adapter. It said Max setting. I'm such a bone head. That would be why it was turning way to fast.

Well, looks like you need to come out again and practice on the track with the new transmitter settings! I'm glad you figured it out I know you were having some issues with it.

arch2b
2010.03.21, 09:55 AM
thought i would share a picture of the fet that so disliked me saturday morning that it literally jumped off the board and stuck to the chassis to get away from me.

Mike Keely
2010.03.21, 06:12 PM
The FET unsoldered itself and fell off the PC board?

Action B
2010.03.21, 06:40 PM
The FET unsoldered itself and fell off the PC board?

Yeah it was crazy! I was there when it happened. This was a brand new MR-03 with stock FETs on its first run! FET fell right off the board and melted into the plastic chassis.

(I'd also like to mention this is NOT the car which FETs I changed, this is an alternate car with stock PCB.)

Mike Keely
2010.03.21, 06:50 PM
Saved him a step when he put the new FET on. It ran fine after a new FET was installed?

arch2b
2010.03.21, 06:54 PM
i'm sending this one back to kyosho. hopefully they will either alter the pads as they did with the 1st one or simply replace the board.

started off with one burnt car, one new car and ended the say with 1 burnt car, one repaired car.

brandon did a fantastic job on my fet replacements. the board still stinks from the burnt fets but i'm sure that will go away with time.

Action B
2010.03.21, 06:56 PM
Saved him a step when he put the new FET on. It ran fine after a new FET was installed?

Actually, Ray decided to contact kyosho regarding this instead of having me repair it.

I repaired the MR-03 that had two badly fried FETs during the enduro. The board had some damage from the FET frying but was not critical. It still worked fine after I replaced FETs and Ray used it for all the qualifiers and mains in this recent HFAY.