PDA

View Full Version : Reflex inspired set up

hrdrvr
2009.11.22, 04:49 PM
I plan to write a review of this car (with ttimed results included) once I get a few more minutes. For now here are some pictures of the build/set up.

WTF2
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21011.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21006.jpg

Kyosho shaft outfitted with QteQ parts and RR 53t 64 pitch spur.
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21014.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21020.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21026.jpg

PN LCG94/98 pod mounted up....of course 96mm.
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21028.jpg

Overview shots
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21032.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21039.jpg

Ill go into more detail with the results, but I must say, this car is a joy to drive, and it set a couple of records on our most recent layout.

cowboysir
2009.11.22, 05:38 PM
has anyone told you about the latest cool mini-z accessory?

(it's called compressed air canisters:D)

Just poking fun, Landon...looking forward to your impressions.

For curiousity's sake do you have the capability of posting comparison results with WTF1 and the PN A-arm? Thinking about doing a testing day with all three onto the same car....not at the same time of course.:D

hrdrvr
2009.11.22, 10:00 PM
Most of those pics were taken after testing once I got the set up dialed. I took a few of them after racing friday night, and they snuck in :D

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/LTs%20pics/2009-11-21113.jpg

And FWIW, if my cars dont have some RCP on the, Im not getting enough use out of 'em ;)

dxm2
2009.11.23, 12:27 PM
I think its great that you're using the 935 rear wheels! What body are you testing this with?
I've stopped running top springs on the rear suspension on almost all my cars, I think it makes the rear a little more responsive. I look forward to your review.

Traveler
2009.11.24, 03:55 PM
Landon,

I'm setting up a car nearly identical to yours. Would you mind if I shared my set up here too? Maybe we can compare notes and get CT to chime in. Attached is a picture of mine so far (not as close up as yours though).

RR 96mm T-Plate
QteQ Diff with RR 53t Spur and ceramic balls, Kyosho rings on a 3R Ti shaft
WTF2 on the front in silver like yours

M

Traveler
2009.11.24, 03:57 PM
Here is the picture!

hrdrvr
2009.11.24, 05:33 PM
^ Yeah Marwan, post away! Itll take some of the heat off of me for keeping it updated, lol :D

Anyway, here is my full set up:

RR high grade MR02 bearings
RR96mm CF Hplate (medium I believe)
RR WTF2, with .5 PN knuckles
Kyosho ASC collection (dont remember which body) 0 front offset wheels
Kyosho 935 RSR rear wheels (a little taller like inch-ups)
Kyosho diff shaft, plates, and O-ring
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN delrin 14t pinion
QteQ diff housing and left wheel hub
QteQ wheel nuts, with bushing built onto left rear
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (blue/red)
PN LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down purple springs, shimmed to minimize droop to ~.5-1mm
Kyosho 20d radial rear tires, and 30d slick fronts

This was the end set up. I will go through a bit of what I did to end up with it like this as I get into explanations and critiques of the set up and products.

CristianTabush
2009.11.24, 06:27 PM
Nice Guys!!! They look a lot like the PC from the enduro as well as the car Jacob used to win PC at the PN World Finals...

hrdrvr
2009.11.24, 07:43 PM
CT, your car at the enduro (and my recent acqusition of the new WT) are what inspired this build!

When I built this car it was mainly to test the WTF2 vs my other stock car, which is a PN A-arm car set up with an ATM 94mm ver5 MM pod, and ATM 94mm DDS that runs a lexus SC430. That car has been solid for me for almost two years without any major change except the A-arm kit. The rear really didnt get anything special when I upped the front either. I really just changed my front tire, and got the settings right for me. The car had been virtually unbeatable for months, and was the current record holder for qualifying on our newest layout. The record was 30 laps in 5:07.9. The closest competitor was sitting at 29/5:06, almost a full lap. A full lap is a lot with our group. We are all pretty tight, and dont really get that far away from each other, so needless to say, I was trying to replace/match something that was in pretty good shape.

Anyway, when I started the build I had some QteQ parts in my box that I hadnt put to use since I was waiting for the RR 64 pitch spurs, and the funds to grab a better shaft (Ive been running Kyo diffs with PN 64p conversions on all my other cars). I still never grabbed a shaft, but while I was taking the time to cut up an MR02, I went ahead and put the QteQ parts on one of my Kyosho diffs, and added the RR 53t spur. I opted to stick with the regular diff balls from my K diff. The diff went together perfectly. I used the small spacer kit, and its good enough for my liking. The spur doesnt ride perferctly in the middle, but that doesnt bother me too much. It would probably be easy enough to buy the full ATM kit and get it perfect, but Im all about functionality. It works awesome like it is, and there is no chance for suction to the diff rings. It was quicker than switching to the the PN spur, since I had to sand it to work with the K parts. Difficulty wise, they were practically the same.

The WTF2 went on just as easily as the first one, which is of course the same as it is with the PN tower bar sets, or the EMU conversion on the 015.

So, I had this back up car with a pretty basic set up for me. I had run it at the PN regional in NJ (where I didnt fare too well), and as a 70t pan car at the SC regional before that, (where I had a great run with it). It hasnt seen much attention lately though, as we are running stock and mod, and Ive got good cars for each of those classes. Anyway, I just switched over the 1.5 knuckles, PN low down springs, and my usual ton of droop :D I left my wheels wrapped in the worn-in SSGs, and 30 radials, and left the DDS untouched (well, maybe I added another touch of ruby lube :D). Also, I had been geared at 12/53, so started with that here.

Within ten laps, I turned a 9.85, and knew I could go faster. My prior best was 9.79, but I mostly ended up around 9.85 each night, so I was happy with this. Immediatly, I felt the car had a ton more steering control and stability. It felt so precise...almsot too precise. I havent driven cars with that mcuh steering in all spots of the corner. At high speed, control was incredible. Off throttle control was incredible, but in mid/high speed 'S's (Ill link a pic of the track at the end) the car was a bit twitchy for me. I knew steering was going to be tricky, bringing a standard width set up over to this, so I wasnt surprised it was a little aggresive for my liking. What did surprise me was what a difference a diff makes (I so wanted to say what a diff a diff makes :p ) These lighter parts are going to make me so much faster, was my original impression. My car slowed so much quicker when I let off the throttle, and accelerated so much quicker it was unbelievable. This meant I could drive it in deeper, and still come out of the other side carrying the same speed. This I think was the significant change in my set up, and it changed my whole approach to the high speed corners. On our track they are a bit trickey, as almost every one of them has an elevation change (none matching either). I have to be very careful on how I enter the corners, so I usually slow the car a bit on entry ot keep it from leaving the ground at apex, and power through and out to carry max speed down the next straight. With my other cars Im lifting about 4 tiles before the turn, and getting on just past the apex (where the car settles onto the new elevation) to power out. I keep speed with the other cars, since my cars stays planted, and usually get a better run on the following straight because of it. With the new diff, I was merely blipping off throttle at the apex, and holding full speed the rest of the time. The little blip was enough to keep the car down, and I only dropped speed for a millisecond, instead of the tenth or so it sually takes to slow the car. At this point, Im now challenging other cars in the high speed areas, as opposed to just hanging and waiting for a mistake. As my first race night (same day as furst run) progressed, I felt really good about the car. In the first round I set TQ with a 29/5:03. In the second round I busted out a 30/5:10.0, just 2 seconds behind my record. I ran away in the main for the first few laps. A lap car was caught up upside down on the wall. I tried to marshall the car, and held myself up until second passed me. He waited for me, and I followed him as we raced away. I had the car for sure, but made a few too many mistakes. After mistakes I could catch him with ease (and overtook him a few times), but the car was just to sensetive for me, and I just couldnt put down the clean laps in the end. Actually, I got passed at the end of the straight with one lap to go (slacked on defending), and got bumped to third :( It served me right, but it wasnt the cars fault......

In the end, I was still impressed. In one night I got within 2 seconds of my best run in a month or more, and set a fast lap of 9.78 in the main. I clicked off a bunch of laps under 9.9, which wasnt usually the case. Id usually faslt lap around .85, but end up wti a bunch of 9.9xx and 10.0xx. The car was significantly better, I just had too man y12s :(

Here are a couple of track pics.
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Track%20room/2009-11-21070.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Track%20room/2009-11-21078.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Track%20room/2009-11-21082.jpg

Ive had one more race night and a couple more practice days with this car. More info to follow.....

JeremyC
2009.11.24, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the post.. Really interesting.

What wheel offsets are you running? And you are running the SC430, right?

-Jer

hrdrvr
2009.11.24, 08:14 PM
So after a disappointing main finish, I was determined to move this car to the front! During the following week I got a few hours here and there to tinker. I took all of the droop out of the front (but no preload) taking it back to stock ride height, and went to .5 degree knuckles, as well as switching to some worn-in Kyosho 30 slicks (taking ride height back down). I also decided to gear up. I was killing the other guys off of the corners, but they were making up ground on me around the outside of the layout, where it is nearly flat out for about 40 tiles worth. I ended up going all the way up to a 14/53 setting. As quick as this diff spools up, I was losing nothing on low end, and gaining a ton on top end with the tall gear. This set up also felt more stable, and easy to drive with the front changes, and the tire swap. For the rest of the week, I piddled around with the front end, and tire balance. I ended up with Kyosho 20 radials in the back, and ended up back with the purple front springs, but now with a tiny bit of droop (Id say around .5mm or a tad more).

The car is so balanced, and so quick. I got down to a 9.453 a couple of days before race night. In the first round of qualifying I hotlapped at 9.543 and went 30/5:03, to set TQ. In the second round one other guy sneaked into the 30 ranks (while 3 or 4 others had hit 29). I only managed a 9.659, but I had a mean of 9.95 and hit 31 in 5:08, .1 away from a full lap over the best coming into the night!! I was overtaking at the end of the straight much easier. There were others geared as high as I was, but they couldnt hold it all coming down the hill at the end of the straight. With slight throttle blips I was able to fly through aggresively without leaving the ground, and could see myself making up there every single lap.

Unfourtunatley, I disappointed myelf in the main again. Not by much this time though. I made about 5 mistakes throughout the race. While they werent big, they were enough to keep me behind my rival. I raced bumper to bumper behind him for about 4 minutes of the race. I over took him once, but gave it back up with a mistake within a lap or so. He ony made two small mistakes, and unfortunately for me, they were both shortly after I made bigger ones, so I was too far behind to capitolize. If I could have stayed in front of him for any more than four corners, I could have probably pulled away rather easily. After my mistakes it usually only took a couple of laps to draw him back in. He just drove so tight, and so flawless, there wasnt any where to make a clean move. As far as cars, my relfex inspired ride deserved the win. As far as driving, the win went where it should have. He only beat me by .5, so it was a battle to the end that could have gone either way.

I was still happy. My best qualifying run so far had been 31/5:03 with a mod car, in which I only hit 2 10.1s, and everyhing else was in the 9s. The mean was like 9.75, so I thought 31 was unachievable with a 70t car.

We are moving on to the HFAY BTE layout for the next month or so. If any one is interested, Ill post the next few race days worth of experience with the car. I dont know if itll stay 70t for this layout, or get tested as a mod car on this tight little layout :D

PridgeoK
2009.11.24, 08:14 PM
That's an awesome track! Inspiring, actually. Interesting read, as well.

Thanks Landon!

Kev.

hrdrvr
2009.11.24, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the post.. Really interesting.

What wheel offsets are you running? And you are running the SC430, right?

-Jer

My bad for not clarifying the body sooner. I am running a PN pan car body with the front reinforced (a little extra front weight), and the rear cut out. The wheels are 0 front offset, and +2 rear.

My previous A-Arm stock car is a lexus sc430 though, and has been beating my 70t pan cars for a while now.

hrdrvr
2009.11.24, 08:22 PM
That's an awesome track! Inspiring, actually. Interesting read, as well.

Thanks Landon!

Kev.

Thank you Kev. We love our track. Ive taken the liberty to go overboard on it every chance I get :D I have to say this is the most carpet Ive had showing in a while (Im usually a techy kind of layout guy), but it was also the fastest racing weve ever seen. Having three long straghts with sweepers at both ends of all of them made for some awesome high speed overtaking. The two best passing spots were the hairpins following the fast sections, so the straights were ever so important in this one.

JeremyC
2009.11.24, 10:26 PM
hrdrvr,

Thanks for the indepth thoughts on the WTF2.. I'm thinking about getting one, so it is really interesting to me. I wonder how it'll compare to the MR-03

-Jer

hrdrvr
2009.11.25, 09:16 AM
^ I think itll compare to the MR03 much the same the PN A-Arm does. They are both good, just different. I dont have much time behind the wheel of an 03 yet, but I have seen/driven one enough to know that the platform is going to be strong. I cant wait to try the 03 batt layout with the WTF2 installed :D I guess Ill be waiting for the new conversion (if its neccesary) or the MR2.5 :D

IMO, the A-arm set up is a far better concept, its just that the MR02 wasnt designed for something like that. The bump steer kills it for me on anything faster than a 70t. With the 70t I can react to the car as it goes over bumps and eleavtion changes, and I dont notice the bump steer too much. With a faster motor, Im not quick enough to react and hold control of the car whenever it steers itself.

I think for tight windy tracks where a narrow track width, and agressive steering are needed, the A-arm front can be used to an advantage over the wide track cars. My A-arm car is 94mm and handles the infield awesomely. Ive got to be a little tender with it on sweepers, and in the brake zones. Im sure this would be better matched for the WTF cars on a perfectly flat track....but what fun would that be? :D

The WTF1 was a good product IMO. It was a simple design that gained a lot of advantage (mostly the reduced scrub). I run it to this day on my mod car, and its seen lots of big action. We ran this car as our prototype car for the enduro where we came in second overall (and in prototype) to reflex. I also ran it in pan car stock at the NJ regional where I had one of my best runs ever and ended up on the podium with EMU and Chad Nelson! I also ran it at the SC regional in pan car mod, where I hit 56 laps, which held me as 6th in the world for that class. Some pretty good company too. The drivers who went faster than me were, Grant, Phillip, Chad, and Dave G from PN, along with Jacob and Jonoathan from RR. Id say these results speak for the product when a non-rated driver like me can run with some of the best in the US!

I only see it getting better for me. The WTF2 provides nearly the same stability (Im actully glad is 1mm narrower (.5 each side), but has better steering characteristics. The castor makes cornering so much smoother, and the balance of camber to castor and toe is nearly perfect for me. I dont even think the extra toe rod was neccesary :D

When I get more time with this set up, Itll be as strong if not stronger than my other WTF car, and as far as our track goes, I think till outperform the A-arm car as well. The WT cars have so much stability over standard width cars, and the possibility of running wide cars with narrow offsets suits me a LOT. With a standard witdh LM car I was having to run 20d fronts to get the front bite I needed. By reducinng scrub I can go back to 30s, and still have the corner speed I need, (actually probably more) while reducing tire wear (due to scrub and compound choice). I also believe the harder compund tires are more consistant, as they go away slower. This is and advantage of all the aftermarket front ends over the standard 02, IMO.

MantisMMA
2009.11.25, 09:24 AM
you should try the 13/51 combo with hot batteries!! especially if you have some good straights.

hrdrvr
2009.11.25, 09:53 AM
^ Ill definitely try the 51t spur on the next layout. The one we put down now is for the HFAY BTE event, and its a tad small. I hit my fasest lap so far on 11/53 gearing. The next layout will be for an event in January, so itll for sure be fast!

Traveler
2009.11.25, 10:14 AM
^ Yeah Marwan, post away! Itll take some of the heat off of me for keeping it updated, lol :D

Anyway, here is my full set up:

RR96mm CF Hplate (medium I believe)
RR WTF2, with .5 PN knuckles
Kyosho ASC collection (dont remember which body) 0 front offset wheels
Kyosho 935 RSR rear wheels (a little taller like inch-ups)
Kyosho diff shaft, plates, and O-ring
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN delrin 14t pinion
QteQ wheel nuts, with bushing built onto left rear
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (blue/red)
PN LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down purple springs, shimmed to minimize droop to ~.5-1mm
Kyosho 20d radial rear tires, and 30d slick fronts

This was the end set up. I will go through a bit of what I did to end up with it like this as I get into explanations and critiques of the set up and products.

Thanks man! Here is my full ending set up. Amazing how similar it is to yours!

RR96mm CF Hplate (6mm hard I believe)
RR WTF2, with 1.0 deg 3R LM knuckles (car sits lower with these)
PN 20mm Machined Delrin Rims -1 front +1 rear offsets
3R Ti diff shaft, Kyosho plates and O-ring
RR ceramic diff balls and H.G. ceramic "thrust" bearing
RR 64 pitch 53t spur and PN 64p 12t delrin pinion
PN multi length DDS with sanded discs and plate (green/blue)
PN v2 LCG 94/98 motor pod
PN low down green springs
Kyosho 20d slick rear tires
PN 20d slick fronts

Like you, this was my backup 96mm chassis. The one I race is practically identical but with a layer of 8858s and without the WTF2 on it. My goal with the WTF2 car was to bring the performance up to or better than my main car. I started out with Kyosho 30d slicks and soft springs on the front from my pre-WTF2 setup and the car traction rolled a lot. CT recommended the stiffer springs and PN 20d fronts and now the car handles VERY well. :D

I haven't raced it yet, so all testing has been on my relatively small home track. Once I add a layer of 8858s, the only difference between this chassis and my racing one will be the front setup. My plan is to take them both to my LHS and run some timed laps with both to see how they compare.

I took some closeup pics, but the quality stinks so I'm not going to bother posting them. Need to get a new camera.

Thanks for letting me share Landon!

hrdrvr
2009.11.25, 10:27 AM
^ Let us know how it works out at the rack. Your guys traction is very simiar to ours, so your results should be close as well! Im thinking of trying a touring body on this set up (the pan was just so easy :D), and am leaning towards trying out the GTR. Let me know what you think of that body on this set up too....if you dont mind.

Traveler
2009.11.25, 10:45 AM
I don't have a GTR body :o

Both my 96mm cars are under '05 350z bodies. My MR-03 should arrive today and I plan to set it up as a 96mm with an '05 350z too. Ordered some of the new G10 fiberglass RR 96mm T-Plates yesterday to give them a try.

Any guesses as to my current favorite body???:D

mleemor60
2009.11.25, 11:19 AM
I have a GTR you can try out at 98mm if you want.

hrdrvr
2009.11.25, 01:03 PM
Oops, I thought it was a pic of a GTR. :o Ive got the 350Z, and thats what I ran on it as a back-up car (and at the NJ regional). The 350Z ius just so low though, that I have problems with it catching on the inclines on our track.

Mike, I may take you up on that, if some one here doesnt drop me the same offer :D

Traveler
2009.11.29, 08:03 AM
Landon,

You've got to try the new RR G10 T-Plates on this set up. Mine arrived yesterday and I substituted a medium G10 plate for the hard 96mm RR CF plate on my WTF2 car and noticed significant improvement in rear traction. I don't have a medium 96mm CF plate to compare to the medium G10 because I have only been using the hard CF plates. But with the medium G10 in the rear I was able to go back to my K30d fronts with no traction rolling and better front grip.

Can't wait to get this car down to HSH.

Nice job CT/RR. Think you should make the G10s for MM 94/98 setups as well!

dvsstrike
2009.11.29, 08:48 AM
they make fiberglass plates already. kyosho and atomic

chad508
2009.11.29, 12:17 PM
not the same as rr's

CristianTabush
2009.11.29, 01:19 PM
Yes, the Kyosho and atomic FRP plates are made out of really thin fiberglass... Ours is a little bit thicker that for some reason works much better than the atomic or Kyosho Material, at least on RCP. For the MR-03, we will make H-plates for both MM and 96mm set-ups. They are already being manufactured. As for FRP plates, similar to ours in 94mm, try the 3racing ones. I just feel they are a little on the stiff side, but the softest one is still usable.

EMU
2009.11.29, 02:44 PM
CT, I havent seen 3Racing FRP plates... Maybe Im not looking in the right places. The Kyosho and ATM ones are too soft for my driving style. I use only med/hard Kyosho CF plates. I need to try some of the RR 96mm FRP plates, and want to try the 3Racing. I think the FRP has less memory than the CF, and has a smoother load/unload.

Traveler
2009.11.29, 03:44 PM
Part number MZII-001/FG on 3R site. Says its a new arrival. Will have to try some. Assume CT will stock at some point.

dvsstrike
2009.11.29, 05:43 PM
i see i see.

MantisMMA
2009.11.29, 06:41 PM
I don't have a GTR body :o

Both my 96mm cars are under '05 350z bodies. My MR-03 should arrive today and I plan to set it up as a 96mm with an '05 350z too. Ordered some of the new G10 fiberglass RR 96mm T-Plates yesterday to give them a try.

Any guesses as to my current favorite body???:D

RR doesnt have mr03 96mm plates yet, they are on the way but as of yesterday he had none!

CristianTabush
2009.11.29, 11:21 PM
They are up on the site now...

blt456
2009.12.12, 01:08 AM
Hey CT would you mind if I posted my 96mm wtf 2.0 setup w/ pics? Want to get permission before posting :)

CristianTabush
2009.12.12, 04:11 AM
I would not mind at all... I actually love to see people's pictures of their cars with our products and stickers. It is probably my single most favorite thing about being a part of the Mini-Z community as a brand...

minittrackmann
2009.12.12, 09:51 AM
Christian do you no when any of the Worlds setups will be posted?
Thanks

CristianTabush
2009.12.12, 10:05 AM
The AWD is the same car as the KO GP set-up.

The Pan Car I will post by Monday...

hrdrvr
2009.12.12, 12:34 PM
Hey CT would you mind if I posted my 96mm wtf 2.0 setup w/ pics? Want to get permission before posting :)

I started this thread to share the story of my build and set up, but am happy to see the experiences of every one elses RR based set ups, wether they are just based on 96mm, or if they are WTF cars, or anything else that can make them RR specific.

Finally got some track time!!
I TQed and won the A-main last night with this car. Im still running the same tires, and everything else is the same. I did rebuild the diff for the first time, and was pleased to find that it wasnt very dirty inside, even with exposed balls (from the space between the plates and thin spur), I didnt find any grime. I cleaned everything anyway, and gave the balls a dip in some Kyosho diff grease, and it came out smooth! I guess there must have been something there, or it was just showing fatigue from running dry.

I havent been able to race the past two weeks, so every one else has had as couple of runs on this layout. I did sneak some practice in a few times, so its not like I was unfamiliar, its just that I hadnt run it with other cars on the track, or seriously running for 5 minutes timed. The top qualifying run so far had been 39/5:0x. I think it was 5:03, and next best was at 5:06, I think. I can check it out. My first run, I did 40/5:06. The next two runs were scarily close to breaking 41, I hit 40 in 5:00.08, and 5:00.02. Im sure Ill hit 41 before its all said and done. I think Eric did 39 in 5:00.0, but I cnt say for sure. He qualified second, and am pretty sure he didnt break into the 40s.

In the main, I tried something different with a set of batteries thinking Id make them go faster for longer. In actully my two warm-up laps were enough to wear the punch off, and I was running a flat car from the start. Starting from the pole I ran a pretty defensve race with Eric (kromie101) pushing hard with the quicker car. This little layout is tough to pass on though. As long as I made a good run onto the straight, I wouldnt lose my spot, even though I had to defend heavily at the end through 1 and 2. The pressure was on at turn one every lap, and he even got beside me once, but I closed the door aggresively (even caused some contact), and barely held on. There were a few other times where he had me nervous and scared me into scrubbing the inside of the turn trying to stay as tight as I could. I was beating him pretty good in the infiled with my car being super easy to drive (great set up on flat batteries), but as the heat wore off of his, he drew closer in the infield, and I had to drive mre defensively there too. This brought Chad up into the mix, as I basically was just holding Eric (and the lap cars) up with a slow tight line. Eventually he got me at the next to last hair pin, and I tried to slam the door shut again. I was even later late on my attempt this time, and barely even hit him in the side. I was on the outside line, and went out to the wall, only to let the two lap cars by as well as Eric. I held second, and tried to push back through the lap cars and try and take the fight to Eric. He made a couple of mistakes as I got through the traffic, and the next thing we knew, there were three of us on the straight at the same time battling for position. The middle of the race kind of strecthed things out, as I almost put Chad a lap down, and Eric almost gained a lap on me. Eric and I settled into our grovves, him with the faster car, and Chad making a mistake here and there behind, with what seemed like to me a faster car than either of us. During that whole stint, I may have gone back to third, as it was pretty tense, and we were all close (Ill have to look at the position chart to verify), but as the end oif the race neared, Eric and Chad made a few mistakes, and I found myself comfortably in second, and one mistake away from taking a fight to Eric. I wasnt quick enough to chase him down for pressure, all I could do was hope to rattle him, by asking for the splits every now and then :D He finally, bobbled and made a mistake right close to each other, so I was able to close the gap (on the bobble) then was in a position for a possible overtake when he parked it at the first turn in the infiled. I saw him (from the other side of the wall), and parked it myself. I got off the wall quicker than him, and was right behind him as he pulled away (I think he waited for a lap car to pass instead of backing out into them). As we came down the straight I saw I was holding pretty good with him since his batteries flattened out a bit, and he parked it right in the same corner. This time, I followed the lap car (who was again between us) by as he was stuck in the wall. I gained a lot in the infiled as Eric corrected, and came away with a pretty good margin. Just then the announcer called 20 seconds to go! I had it in the bag with just a few laps to run.

It was exciting. My batteries were flat, but my set up was perfect. I could hold almost any line I wanted, but my car did have a touch of push (still no changes since running it on a big, fast track). It was perfect though, as it kept me from overdriving (something couldnt stop myself from doing in mod)which kept my mistakes down to less than a handful. I think I only stopped on track 3 times in 10 minutes, and only one of them got me into double digit lap times. I ended up with the fourth fastest hotlap (.3 behind Eric), but the best mean, which is the important one :D

Anyway, Ill be running agian next week, and cant wait to see how we do. We should be running the HFAY event within a few weeks (has to be done this month), so Ill see how I stack up with this car against people from all over!

Traveler
2009.12.12, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the nice write-up Landon and congrats on the win. :D I have been out of town each of the last three Thursdays, so I haven't yet taken my 96mm WTF2 car to HSH for race night. Look like I'll be able to go this week, so I will post my findings when I get back. Don't expect to be able to beat Rodney, Wade, Pedro or James with this setup, but I hope to be able to improve my lap counts/times. We'll see...

blt456
2009.12.12, 03:59 PM
This is my 96mm, wtf, 350z car. This is by far my best car I've ever built.. I spend lots of time on my cars..this car is extremely consistent and has hit my fastest times on rcp with a stock motor and only driven for one day..setup:

Front:
-knuckles (no clue brand but they are very bad,.. getting pn 1.0*)
-reflex shims under knuckles (4 total)
-pn green lowdowns
-reflex wtf v2 ti
- atm 30s r tires

Rear:
-atm 8*
-pn diff 13/53
-atm usa motor (using reflex white stuff + purple stuff - a local expert claims my car as fast as modified..)
-pn dds + springs (green top, blue bottom)

Other:
-2x3 8858 fets
-ATM/PN ti screws all around
-07 350z body

In case you are wondering about the motor products, they are the best parts you can get for the motors. I have handwound motors all last year from 50 turns stock to 28t modified. When I used the white stuff on pn 70t, the results really showed. I didn't even have broken in brushes and it was screaming down the straight.. it was way undergeared too.. my lhs had a straight over 40ft.. now I use white stuff + purple stuff for breakins. The purple stuff is awesome because it is thinner than the slick7 oil and it can be applied in smaller amounts. The other thing I like about it is that you can use it on the commutator. I have tried various oils, and the purple stuff is better than the slick7 comm drops for me. I always would end up with black spots on my motors, but after applying 1/2 a drop of purple stuff on the USA motor comm, no more black spots....can't even tell that the motor has been used.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_2242.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_2244.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_2245.jpg

dvsstrike
2009.12.13, 02:46 PM
those are nice set up. but no one runs the side dampner in 98 mm anymore?

Rune
2009.12.13, 03:36 PM
those are nice set up. but no one runs the side dampner in 98 mm anymore?

Oh yes.
There are at least 6 RR side damper cars at our track. Both 02 and 03's.
This is by far the fastest, most consistent rear end at our track.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/SyRRytV3arI/AAAAAAAABBo/pXkOsFMfehk/s1024/IMG_5200.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/SyRRx1tgb7I/AAAAAAAABBk/ZM-GClISYwU/s1024/IMG_5199.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/Sx7Sb48u6GI/AAAAAAAABAk/WLn3cnS4wWE/s1024/IMG_5167.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/St-U3hZwf3I/AAAAAAAAATQ/XjV_9JWquqc/s1024/IMG_4743.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/SuXn0rYRetI/AAAAAAAAAao/C5gmEQy4eys/s1024/IMG_4796.JPG