PDA

View Full Version : Need help converting WB

redmike
2009.12.01, 10:49 PM
I recently picked up some Nascar Mini-Zs that my local hobby shop was letting go cheap. I have set up a track for them out of foam tiles for my sons and me to run on and they're a blast. However, they seem to turn quite wide and I'm assuming that has to do with the 102mm WB.

I'm looking into converting them to either 94mm or 98mm, but I'm unsure how to go about it. I see in the manual that the stock chassis setup for my MR-015 can be adjusted from 98-106mm, but how would I do 94mm? Also, would 94mm or 98mm be better for a fairly small indoor track (10' x 20' area)? What are some good readily available bodies for 94mm or 98mm that will fit my MR-015s?

Oh, one final question while I'm asking away here. The steering in at least one of these cars seems to keep getting knocked out of whack after a collision. I adjust the trim to compensate and after a few minutes I have to readjust again. Any thoughts on what would cause that?

Thanks in advance!

MantisMMA
2009.12.01, 11:19 PM
them not turning sharp has nothing to do with the WB , i race the LM cars and theya re every but as agile as as the shorter cars, more than likely you need front tires!! but if you still want to change your WB you are gonna need different motor mounts, the PN 94-98 is the best out there right now but the kyosho RM or HM will work too. as far as your steering probs go, sounds like you may need a new steering pot, or at least clean it with some electrical cleaner.

Traveler
2009.12.02, 07:21 AM
Welcome to the forums! I don't have an MR-015, but I have several MR-02s which are very similar. Here's my 2 cents for what its worth.

I recently picked up some Nascar Mini-Zs that my local hobby shop was letting go cheap. I have set up a track for them out of foam tiles for my sons and me to run on and they're a blast. However, they seem to turn quite wide and I'm assuming that has to do with the 102mm WB.

Congrats! Have you tried adjusting the steering d/r knob in the secret compartment? Check this out http://www.a t o m i c m o d s.com/Categories/Tutorial-1-28-Mini-Z-Radio-Adjustment.aspx If so, you probably need grippier front tires like Mantis said.

I'm looking into converting them to either 94mm or 98mm, but I'm unsure how to go about it. I see in the manual that the stock chassis setup for my MR-015 can be adjusted from 98-106mm, but how would I do 94mm?

If you want to do it for cheap, just buy some stock RM motor pods. I have a bunch of them from cars I've put aftermarket motor mounts on.

Also, would 94mm or 98mm be better for a fairly small indoor track (10' x 20' area)? What are some good readily available bodies for 94mm or 98mm that will fit my MR-015s?

To have a 98mm WB, you'd need a stock MM pod. Why don't you do different lengths to see what you like?

Oh, one final question while I'm asking away here. The steering in at least one of these cars seems to keep getting knocked out of whack after a collision. I adjust the trim to compensate and after a few minutes I have to readjust again. Any thoughts on what would cause that?

Maybe some dirt in the servo gears or a broken servo gear tooth.

Thanks in advance!

Good luck!

redmike
2009.12.02, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll dig in today and see if I can't put your advice to good use sorting this out!

Traveler
2009.12.02, 09:19 AM
Mike,

EMU is a very knowledgable member here and seems to be into MR-015s more than most. Maybe he can chime in with some tips on your NASCAR cars.

Skv012a
2009.12.02, 10:20 AM
Mike,

EMU is a very knowledgable member here and seems to be into MR-015s more than most. Maybe he can chime in with some tips on your NASCAR cars.

Wide stance is the only cure for 15s, so if you like/don't mind using the exotic and/or race version bodies, then you can make a very good 15.

redmike
2009.12.02, 02:29 PM
I haven't bought any new tires yet, but the Nascar Zs did come with 2 high grip rears with each car. I have been running them on the rears since I got the cars because the normal ones just weren't cutting it. So I took a set of those high grip tires off the rear of one car and put them onto the front of another (making one car with the high grips all around). That definitely gave the car more steering! Now I just need to figure out a good middle ground, because I actually think the steering might be a bit much now! lol

Anyone know what degree the High Grip Nascar rears are so I can go from there?

Thanks again all! I've been in R/C for 15+ years, but I'm new to the Mini-Zs and all your insight is greatly appreciated!!!