PDA

View Full Version : No power to the motor

andycap84
2009.12.04, 05:57 PM
Hi there. I can't seem to figure out what's going on with my MR02.

I converted it to 2.4 and everything was fine until 3 days ago. I lost motor function. I have steering but nothing is going on with the motor.

I am really new with Mini-Zs. Any help would be great

Tjay
2009.12.04, 07:01 PM
1. check the red and black wire that comes out of the board and into the battery tabs. There's a small screw and holds this wire, tighten them.

2. Check the brushes on the motor if they're still ok.

3.. Make sure that these two fets has no bumps or burnt smell on it. If it does, send it to your local mini-z hobbyshop for fet work.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/FPR%20Mini-Z/fets.jpg

andycap84
2009.12.04, 08:11 PM
These Fets you speak of look fine and smell like regular electronics. I tried tightening the wire leads but they were tight already.

I have no power at all now. i tried fresh batteries and a new motor. I am really lost now :(

Tjay
2009.12.04, 08:27 PM
pull the battery tabs on the chassis.

andycap84
2009.12.04, 09:29 PM
ya that did nothing. i still have a red light though:confused:

LED
2009.12.05, 01:26 AM
Make sure your trims on the transmitter are ok.
Measure instead of using a motor. Wouldnt be the first time someone tried 2 bad motors in a row.
Check all the wires on the board, wiggle them around a bit to see if its a faulty contact or wire.

What motor are you using?

Tjay
2009.12.05, 03:01 AM
Can you rebind your radio again? Btw, what radio are you using. I'm guessing it's the kt-18 radio? Just reset everything and bind it again.

If you have access to your local hobbyshop that sells mini-z, take it there.

andycap84
2009.12.05, 07:22 AM
I am using a stock kyosho motor. The other motor i tried was the brand new Atomic Motor i picked up.

I am using the KT-18 Transmitter. I will try rebinding it and i will let you guys know

andycap84
2009.12.06, 07:20 PM
rebinding did nothing.

Any other suggestions?

jeremym
2009.12.06, 07:28 PM
I would try new batteries in tx and the car.

herman
2009.12.07, 03:04 AM
I am using a stock kyosho motor. The other motor i tried was the brand new Atomic Motor i picked up.

I am using the KT-18 Transmitter. I will try rebinding it and i will let you guys know

hmmm... i suspect a blown fet... you mentioned using a stock motor, then an atomic motor... did you check if the atomic motor was good for a stock board, or a modified board (board requiring a fet upgrade/additional fets)?

if the fets are fried, have an upgrade so that you can use almost any motor...

hope this helps...

Tjay
2009.12.07, 03:57 AM
also try different remote.

andycap84
2009.12.15, 11:15 PM
Update! Faulty TX. Thanks guys for all your suggestions!!

herman
2009.12.16, 09:57 AM
good to hear... did you get it fixed, replaced or got a new one?

ianc
2009.12.16, 11:14 AM
Next time this happens, troubleshoot in a logical fashion instead of taking shots in the dark:

1) get a volt-ohm meter (VOM), and set it to measure DC volts. Disconnect the motor and place the VOM leads across the two motor tabs on the board. Turn on the car and TX and press the throttle. If you have ~5V there, the trouble is in the motor.

2) if no voltage there, then there is a problem with the board, so remove the cover and look for anything obvious.

3) if you have steering, it is useless to check the battery tabs since the board is getting power.

Good luck in future,

ianc

Skv012a
2009.12.16, 01:04 PM
Sometimes brushes in the motor get stuck and all you have to do is spin the rear wheels quickly, manually while applying throttle with the TX.

JeremyC
2009.12.16, 01:16 PM
Sometimes brushes in the motor get stuck and all you have to do is spin the rear wheels quickly, manually while applying throttle with the TX.

This happened to both myself and a friend after using comm drops after every run. Both cars would steer but forward and reverse were both completely disabled. The motor was difficult to turn by hand, but after doing so, it would work again for a run or two. I recommend spraying with motor cleaner while the motor is spinning under power to resolve.

Not sure if that is your problem, but that was my experience. :)

-Jeremy

Reedy
2010.01.10, 11:23 PM

Wow, i totally forgot that this could happen, in my MR-01 WRX it some times wont kick off after a crash or when you stop, but you still have steering, and it only takes a bump or a slighty push to get cranking again

I still have my comm cutter from 1/10th scale, i might rip open the WRX stock motor and have a look, may even drop one of the many spares i have in there aswell and see if this fixes it up!!

Thanks for the reminder!!

wildthing
2010.01.11, 04:11 AM
Update! Faulty TX. Thanks guys for all your suggestions!!

What did you do with the faulty TX? Were you able to repair it?