PDA

View Full Version : Need a suggestion on track for small area

jwalk2c
2009.12.08, 07:55 PM
Hello everyone, I have been enjoying my 1/32 Scalextric digital slot car race track for a few years but my roots are in R/C cars and planes. I think I may tear down my slot car track and try Mini Z and have a question about track.
I like the looks of the RealTracks RC Racing Systems because it has more realistic looking turns similar to a slot car track. My space is limited to my 8 X 14 feet slot car table. But it seems there is no information on this brand of track here. My first choice was the mini 96 from RCP and if that is what everyone else uses I would rather use something that has a lot of users since that is where mods and help come from to make hobbys like these so much more fun.
Your thoughts and ideals on buiding a realistic race track on a 8 x 14 table would be appreciated .
Thanks in advance,
Johnny

yasuji
2009.12.08, 09:27 PM
Hello everyone, I have been enjoying my 1/32 Scalextric digital slot car race track for a few years but my roots are in R/C cars and planes. I think I may tear down my slot car track and try Mini Z and have a question about track.
I like the looks of the RealTracks RC Racing Systems because it has more realistic looking turns similar to a slot car track. My space is limited to my 8 X 14 feet slot car table. But it seems there is no information on this brand of track here. My first choice was the mini 96 from RCP and if that is what everyone else uses I would rather use something that has a lot of users since that is where mods and help come from to make hobbys like these so much more fun.
Your thoughts and ideals on buiding a realistic race track on a 8 x 14 table would be appreciated .
Thanks in advance,
Johnny
for that small of a space id look into getting rcp track , just enough 50 cm side rails for the outside barriers and 50cm blanks to fill the ctr....then do the bit and peices that mbmzr has done for there track ...then u can make the track layout as real as you want;)...u may even be able to use your slot decorations to dress it up!

mr7q
2009.12.09, 01:40 PM
I've got a Mini-96 set up in an 8x10 area in my place. Makes very good use of the space and it's very reconfigurable. Not exactly enough room for a full grid, but two can race comfortably (or uncomfortably if you happen to be racing a sibling and believe that poking them in the face with the transmitter's antenna is a perfectly valid strategy for opening up a passing opportunity).

JeremyC
2009.12.09, 01:58 PM
I like the RCP blank tile idea mentioned above. The lanes are very narrow on a mini-96

bermbuster
2009.12.09, 01:59 PM
Thanks in advance,
Johnny

the mini 96 has your name on it.....
I believe when you order it from minizracer shipping is included.....
It is definitely worth the $200....

jwalk2c
2009.12.09, 09:54 PM
for that small of a space id look into getting rcp track , just enough 50 cm side rails for the outside barriers and 50cm blanks to fill the ctr....then do the bit and peices that mbmzr has done for there track ...then u can make the track layout as real as you want;)...u may even be able to use your slot decorations to dress it up!

Thanks to all for the responce. I don't understand the part about getting blanks to fill the center ? mbmzr is that Myrtle Beach ? I saw there track but its huge. Sorry for the confusion but could you explain in more detail ?
Thanks
Johnny

bermbuster
2009.12.09, 10:41 PM
Thanks to all for the responce. I don't understand the part about getting blanks to fill the center ? mbmzr is that Myrtle Beach ? I saw there track but its huge. Sorry for the confusion but could you explain in more detail ?
Thanks
Johnny

picture the track as one huge open area(8x14).....then you can put your lane rails wherever you want. currently the rails attach to the edge of a tile. (mini96) when you put your own rails down you must fix them to the track. some places use nails/screws and or tape.

Using the conventional method you are locked into certain types of turns etc....
by using the open method you can really use your imagination. You can use rcp rails or make your own/modify the rcp....
Personally I like the rcp style (mounting the rails on the edge of tiles) but that is me....

hrdrvr
2009.12.10, 08:43 AM
I like Grants idea for flexibility in a small area. If you can find the new RCP worm rails, you would have the perfect modular rail system, but I havent seen it out yet.

If you go that route, and cant find the worm rails, you could always make your own. We used to use a large piece of carpet, and I made walls out of foam and duct tape, and two sided taped them down to the carpet. I coud reconfigure the layout any time, and just had to reapply the double sided tape every now and then (we used heavy duty carpet tape, so it lasted a while, and held great).

You can click these links to see two different layouts that I could switch between very easily. With just a few different sized pieces, I could make an uncountable amount of layouts in our area.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2007-12-07026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2007-07-24003.jpg

Here was a more simple one I did, where I could follow multiple paths, so the layout was variable without moving the barriers. It was a practice track for home though, and seldomely saw more than just one car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2007-03-12029.jpg

That track was made from anti-fatigue mats, but I would reccomend RCP if you can get it. The wall system (even if its just for the outside borders) and grip are much better IMO.

The idea I think is the best though, is elevate it! Go with the Mini96, and get creative with how you lay it out. Our club track at MBMZR (the one Grant is refering to), used to be limited in space. We had room for 9x19 layout. As our club grew, and we wanted to grow our track, we couldnt as the space limited us to that area, and that area alone. I decided to try some elevations and see if I could stretch the space in some areas. We now have a track than be considered eqivilant to 12x22 by tucking some sections of track under other sections. Not only did I stretch our lap times from around 6-8 seconds to 10-12, but the elevations add a sense of realism (in tuning, feel, and look) that you just can capture with a flat track.

Here is a pic of one of our last flat layouts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2009-01-16004.jpg

Heres one "stretched" up :D
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Track%20room/DSC02884.jpg

Those two tracks take up virtually the exact same amount of floor space, but you can see the latter actually utilizes the space much more efficiently.