PDA

View Full Version : Independent light set?

jjay
2009.12.12, 07:10 PM
So after lookin around for all the possible light sets available to purchase, i've decided I want to try and make my own.
One reason is the price for some seem ridiculous, and another reason is I want a set that is in no way attached to the mini-z itself.
First off, I am clueless when it comes to making stuff like this, so here's my call for help. :p I've also searched the forums quite a bit but all that comes up are complicated light sets that work with the mini-zs throttle/braking and whatnot.

Ok, what i want is a very basic light set with the 2 white leds up front and 2 red leds for the brake lights. I also want it to have its own battery source and a micro switch to easily turn it on and off.
With that, I'm asking for any advise on the best way to make this lightset. type of batteries? some kind of guide on what/how things need to be soldered together?

Any and all advice appreciated. thanks in advance!
- jj

sorry for the typo... Independent light set**

wildthing
2010.01.06, 07:27 PM
Nice idea. My thoughts... putting independent powersource... then your best bet is a rechargeable "coin" lipo like the one on PCs or laptops (but you must use the rechargeable ones). They are mostly 3 to 3.3v.

I think an LED can take that power without any need for a resistor.

You can wire the headlights and a parklight directly to it along with a switch.

Glue stick or CA would be needed for you to mount everything on the body of the car....

Problem I think is the brakelight that will light up whenever you brake... the only option I think for you here is to wire an LED-resistor series to the motor contact(just like the one on Auldey Race-Tin Licensed car series). It should be wired to work when you reverse/brake.

HTH

I might just do the same... if I can find me a rechargeable "coin" battery.

marc
2010.01.06, 08:11 PM
I don't think a rechargeable "coin" battery exists. I think the "coin" battery your referring to are for watches and key-fobs and are usually just replaced, not recharged. Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean by coin-battery, and never heard of a rechargeable version.

Action B
2010.01.06, 10:21 PM
You could use an eflite blade mcx 110mah lithium battery. Very small and of course rechargeable.

wildthing
2010.01.09, 03:47 PM
I don't think a rechargeable "coin" battery exists. I think the "coin" battery your referring to are for watches and key-fobs and are usually just replaced, not recharged. Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean by coin-battery, and never heard of a rechargeable version.

try this link - http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=coin+battery+lithium+3v+rechargeable

Select the "PCB Pins" on the Termination Style column and then click "Apply Filters". You would be prompted with a good list of "coin" lithium batteries that are rechargeable.

The last product on that list (scroll down the list) is a 3V panasonic made rechareable lithium battery with 100mAh of power, 30mm diameter, 3.2mm thick:
http://media.digikey.com/photos/Panasonic%20Photos/VL3032-1F2.jpg

http://media.digikey.com/photos/Panasonic%20Photos/VL3032-1F2.jpg

HTH

BTW try to pry open a laptop, they usually have these batteries to power the CMOS. Desktop PC usually don't use the rechargeable version of lithium batteries.

kzy247365
2010.01.18, 03:46 PM
I just made a couple light kits for the cars I have. Easiest way is to get your lights. I got a bag of led's from RadioShack for $3 and a 3v coin battery. The led's have a long wire and a shorter wire. The long is + short -. Take 8 peices of small gauge wire, 4 for + and 4 for -. Connect a peice of wire to all the long ends of the leds. THis will be the + side. Do the same for the - side. Twist up all the +'s together. Do the same for the - side. Solder in a switch on the + side. Connect the + and - sides to the coresponding battery poles. I found that hot glue works wonders for holding the wires, led's, and switch into place. Good Luck!!!

wildthing
2010.01.20, 03:27 AM
got any pictures of your work?