PDA

View Full Version : Driving in the snow is awesome.

Skv012a
2009.12.20, 12:50 AM
Highly recommend everyone who got snowed in to take this opportunity and hone their skills while you can. Being prepared > avoiding things all the time.

Action B
2009.12.20, 01:27 AM
Yeah but some cops will cite you for it. You can even get wreckless for doing it in an empty parking lot. I'd like to do it a lot because my car is AWD.

Skv012a
2009.12.20, 01:36 AM
Wreckless for just driving on the road? Must be a VA thing man. Speeding and sliding are naturally a diff story XD

But my point is however you prefer, some practice is better than none.

Action B
2009.12.20, 08:54 AM
Wreckless for just driving on the road? Must be a VA thing man. Speeding and sliding are naturally a diff story XD

But my point is however you prefer, some practice is better than none.

Nope. Its not just a VA. thing. You are from Maryland right? Take a look at the below link. That happened yesterday in Maryland. You don't even have to slide to get a citation, and a serious one at that.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/357457-ticket-spinning-my-tires.html

Anyhow, that was on a road, but I'm sure they can cite you for A. being in a private parking lot (Trespassing) and B. For driving unsafely in that parking lot.

Either way, don't let me stop you I just thought I'd let you guys know the danger of it when you do it. Some cops will ignore it, some will just ask you to leave, but others will give you a citation. I've always done it anyhow and just hoped for the best. If I feel like digging my car out I might...

arch2b
2009.12.20, 09:46 AM
are you talking about playing around in parking lots or seriously getting some practice driving in snow covered roads?

i used mess around in parking lots 15 years ago or so. i value my car too much now, or to put it better, i have a far greater appreciation for the value of my car and the costs involved should something go wrong. i don't drive anything fancy but i've only got one car so i need to keep it happy and running well.:p

marc
2009.12.20, 10:03 AM
I remember being a kid growing up in Reno Nevada, my brother took me and my cousin's out one day and was teaching my cousin's how to recover in the snow. This was out in an empty parking lot at one of our local shopping malls. A police officer came over and gave my brother a warning about "horse playing" or driving "wrecklesly" with passengers. The officer didn't see the value in teaching proper snow-driving. I don't recall if my brother got a ticket or not, but he knew what he was doing. He's an excellent driver to this day.

Action B
2009.12.20, 10:20 AM
are you talking about playing around in parking lots or seriously getting some practice driving in snow covered roads?

i used mess around in parking lots 15 years ago or so. i value my car too much now, or to put it better, i have a far greater appreciation for the value of my car and the costs involved should something go wrong. i don't drive anything fancy but i've only got one car so i need to keep it happy and running well.:p

I also value my precious car probably a little too much. Its like 13 years old now and not worth much. I learned how to do a lot of stuff on my car and have put a lot of time/money in upgrading it so now I'm kinda particular about it. I"m sure some of you can understand that.

Of course it is AWD and turbo so its awesome either way.

MINIz guy11
2009.12.20, 10:38 AM
I also had some great fun driving around in an empty parking lot. I had my dad next to be and my speeds were ~20MPH while sliding around. Really learned the value of traction control while recovering from a slide.

Skv012a
2009.12.20, 11:48 AM
Nope. Its not just a VA. thing. You are from Maryland right? Take a look at the below link. That happened yesterday in Maryland. You don't even have to slide to get a citation, and a serious one at that.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/357457-ticket-spinning-my-tires.html

Anyhow, that was on a road, but I'm sure they can cite you for A. being in a private parking lot (Trespassing) and B. For driving unsafely in that parking lot.

Either way, don't let me stop you I just thought I'd let you guys know the danger of it when you do it. Some cops will ignore it, some will just ask you to leave, but others will give you a citation. I've always done it anyhow and just hoped for the best. If I feel like digging my car out I might...

I got that man, just I've seen enough cars last night and hence why I'm arguing the point. If I'm getting home from somewhere, they can't pull me over for simply being on the road.

Action B
2009.12.20, 12:36 PM
I got that man, just I've seen enough cars last night and hence why I'm arguing the point. If I'm getting home from somewhere, they can't pull me over for simply being on the road.

They can pull you over if they see you spin tires. That doesn't mean its justified. Anyhow, I'm not arguing any points though. I'm just letting everyone know if they are out and about to be careful. I like to drive in parking lots. I think its a great way to practice controlling skids and just plain fun overall. Its good to practice.

Your thread title is somewhat misleading. I never thought of carefully driving around on snowy roads without spinning tires as "awesome". I always thought it was awesome to go and take my car around a corner completely sideways. If you practice, make sure you do it on empty roads otherwise its the same as not practicing.

Skv012a
2009.12.21, 12:58 AM
Your thread title is somewhat misleading. I never thought of carefully driving around on snowy roads without spinning tires as "awesome". I always thought it was awesome to go and take my car around a corner completely sideways. If you practice, make sure you do it on empty roads otherwise its the same as not practicing.

My title is for both safe and fun drivers lol. Yea, I enjoyed taking long easy corners at 45 mph / 45* angle lol, but thats when I knew that stretch was clear of cops and other cars. Recovery was something I wanted to practice. Spinning wheels wasn't even necessary to be honest, just proper throttle bleeping and steering.

imxlr8ed
2009.12.21, 12:28 PM
I was out blasting the first-gen Rav4 all weekend, made some cashiers at the Sunoco freak out when they saw me drift into my parking spot (while going sideways through around 5 or 6 others :D). It's good to know the breaking limits of your car in any scenario... every car I have ever had reacts differently, even if they were the same make and model. Panic is the main reason for most accidents, if you have a better expectation of what you can accomplish in a surprise situation you'll be less apt to over-react.

I've had a few 4x4s but AWD is worth every penny... this little Toyota is too much fun!

Oh yeah... it's blipping, not bleeping.

Skv012a
2009.12.21, 09:56 PM
Oh yeah... it's blipping, not bleeping.

You got it backwards man lol. Google.

But yea, its all about preparation as far as avoiding accidents and that only comes from practice.

Action B
2009.12.21, 10:24 PM

But yea, its all about preparation as far as avoiding accidents and that only comes from practice.

In the snow, an understanding of physics and the right respect for inclement conditions as well as a defensive demeanor will get you further than practice any day in my opinion.

Basically, if you understand conditions are bad and drive slow and cautiously, you'll probably be fine :).

MINIz guy11
2009.12.22, 04:41 PM

:confused: Are you sure it is throttle bleeping? I've always heard of it as blipping.

I also had my fun while in an empty parking lot, since I don't have a learner's permit (yet!). I was in our 2003 BMW X5, and really learned how much stability control helps. I really need more seat time in a car before I can really go out on the road.

Action B
2009.12.22, 06:24 PM

It really is blipping. If you type blipping into google it will come up with a bunch of search suggestions, since, its commonly searched for. Bleeping is just a misspelling of blipping.

andrewan
2010.01.07, 10:36 PM
Hello,
Driving in snow is really awesome.Driving in the snow can actually be good fun and is a great way of experimenting with a carís handling Ė you can induce under- or oversteer at very low speeds and then try to compensate for it.