PDA

View Full Version : Reflex Racing MR-03 Front End Sneak Peak!!!

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 04:10 PM
You know we like to innovate with simplicity. This is perhaps the simplest solution for the many problems the 03's front has.

http://www.reflexracing.net/images/mr-03/mr-03 001.jpg

The mod is simple, it uses a delrin ball and a gold-plated, longer kingpin. Used in combination with MR-02 springs and spring cups, it also will lessen the need to buy new parts. Stiction is greatly reduced, droop and pre-load as well as front ride height can be adjusted on the fly! The suspension action is so much smoother than anything else. I also did not have to polish anything! All I did was install the parts and added a little bit of flourine oil!

They should be ready in about a month...

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 04:11 PM
Oh, and BTW, there is no clearance issues with any bodies. It is at about the same height as the 02's kingpins.

JeremyC
2009.12.22, 04:28 PM
Oh, and BTW, there is no clearance issues with any bodies. It is at about the same height as the 02's kingpins.

This looks amazing; I love that you are reusing some MR-02 parts. :)

Traveler
2009.12.22, 04:56 PM
I love simple! Nice work :cool:

mk2kompressor
2009.12.22, 04:57 PM
looking good dude:)

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 05:16 PM
Thanks Guys! Yeah, with the spring being on top, there is no need for heavier duty a-arm to prevent flexing. Plus, it will be VERY economical. Kingpins and delrin balls should be around 10-15 bucks TOPS!

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 05:22 PM
And I meant for both...

FRP Plates also are on the way, both 94 and 96mm this time...

dvsstrike
2009.12.22, 05:33 PM
darn.. i need 98mm

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 05:48 PM
Well, those are the same as the 94mm plates :P

EMU
2009.12.22, 06:03 PM
I love the simplicity behind the front end. This will definitely go on one of my MR03's. (I only have one right now, but plan to get another soon... I was surprised that Kyosho didnt do it this way in the first place.

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 06:15 PM
I love the simplicity behind the front end. This will definitely go on one of my MR03's. (I only have one right now, but plan to get another soon... I was surprised that Kyosho didnt do it this way in the first place.

Me too! The first second I saw it, I wanted to make them, but it took a bit of time to get my hands on an 03, and to send the parts in to the factory to get them made...

dvsstrike
2009.12.22, 06:37 PM
I need to wear my glasses more often i did not see the 94:eek:
my bad... i really must be old

yasuji
2009.12.22, 06:52 PM
You know we like to innovate with simplicity. This is perhaps the simplest solution for the many problems the 03's front has.

http://www.reflexracing.net/images/mr-03/mr-03 001.jpg

The mod is simple, it uses a delrin ball and a gold-plated, longer kingpin. Used in combination with MR-02 springs and spring cups, it also will lessen the need to buy new parts. Stiction is greatly reduced, droop and pre-load as well as front ride height can be adjusted on the fly! The suspension action is so much smoother than anything else. I also did not have to polish anything! All I did was install the parts and added a little bit of flourine oil!

They should be ready in about a month...

looking good!

i wonder if u could put a threaded area on the top of the king pin rather than the e-clip groove? allen(hex) drive in the bottom of the king pin?and make threaded spring cups? in the shape of a wheel nut?;)

chad508
2009.12.22, 07:02 PM
with treaded king pin and spring cup you would be able to adjust preload and droop real easy. i like that idea

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 07:19 PM
looking good!

i wonder if u could put a threaded area on the top of the king pin rather than the e-clip groove? allen(hex) drive in the bottom of the king pin?and make threaded spring cups? in the shape of a wheel nut?;)

This is exactly what we considered doing when working out the design with Marcus, but space is at a premium and cost goes up 3-fold.

Another thing is up-stoke can be limited with different height spring cups, where with a nut, you would have to use spacers on the king-pin to do so (or different size nuts, which also increases cost). I figure, this ends up being as much work as just adding shims to increase pre-load. :P

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 07:21 PM
What's expensive is not actually doing the threads, but adding the hex head. We had thought about making a slot for this reason, but this means that each kingpin has to go through an extra operation, vs just being made on a lathe.

yasuji
2009.12.22, 07:45 PM
This is exactly what we considered doing when working out the design with Marcus, but space is at a premium and cost goes up 3-fold.

Another thing is up-stoke can be limited with different height spring cups, where with a nut, you would have to use spacers on the king-pin to do so (or different size nuts, which also increases cost). I figure, this ends up being as much work as just adding shims to increase pre-load. :P

fair enough.... how about an adjustable clip position...jus like a jet needle on a motorcycle carb.....and using the same clips from the diff?

CristianTabush
2009.12.22, 07:56 PM
That's not a bad idea. But one thing I like about plastic clips is that they are SOOOOO easy to remove. The diff clips can be a pain in the butt. They would save space, but would make changes much harder. Isn't using shims easier?

hobbycar
2009.12.22, 10:10 PM
That's not a bad idea. But one thing I like about plastic clips is that they are SOOOOO easy to remove. The diff clips can be a pain in the butt. They would save space, but would make changes much harder. Isn't using shims easier?

Love the simple design.

I also like the plastic clips so much better than metal e-clips (like on the diff). Half the time I take off metal e-clips I end up bending them, losing them (as they shoot across the room), or drawing blood on my finger :eek:.

I agree plastic clips are the way to go as long as they are secure and have no chance of coming off in a race or high speed crash.

-hobbycar

Rune
2009.12.23, 02:36 AM
Wow! That was a smart invention.
Cant wait to try it out.

No more flexing arms, springs that can pop out in a crash, and so easy to change setup.

What about a WTF3?;)

herman
2009.12.23, 02:55 AM
cool design... and much cooler to use 02 stuff as well...

hpgod
2009.12.23, 06:46 AM
Now cut the extra spring arm off the upper a arm and get even better bump performance by reducing the unsprung weight.

Great idea CT
Cannot wait to try in on the my 03 under the christmas tree

arch2b
2009.12.23, 08:24 AM
i too like the simplicity used. it's a bonus that most parts are off the shelf :p

i look forward to trying this.:)

Cherub1m
2009.12.23, 08:47 AM
Thanks Guys! Yeah, with the spring being on top, there is no need for heavier duty a-arm to prevent flexing. Plus, it will be VERY economical. Kingpins and delrin balls should be around 10-15 bucks TOPS!

Very nice!. Simple, economical, and not much added weight and it looks like it will be effective. Great work!!!

HaCo
2009.12.23, 09:51 AM
Great work from reflex!

color01
2009.12.23, 10:12 AM
Good work CT and Marcus -- I'd been trying to get a hold of some spare 03 pivot balls so I could stick 02 kingpins through them (essentially the same mod as you've done there), but now you've gone ahead and made the necessary bespoke part itself. :) Very nice. I just hope they are not gold-plated, but titanium-nitride coated. Gold plating isn't the right thing to do here for several reasons. ;)

mr7q
2009.12.23, 12:49 PM
That is brilliantly simple! Or simply brilliant! I love it when engineering and efficiency match themselves up.

I'm a fan and will be putting it on my MR-03.

Tjay
2009.12.23, 07:04 PM
Oh YES!!! Definitely better! I will order this for sure... hopefully before Tekin. ;)

SaiTam
2009.12.24, 01:59 AM
Amazing! I'm glad this is not a Front suspension kit with a $80 price tag and eight moving parts. I can afford five sets. One for myself; three for my enemies; the last one can be used for raffle.

CristianTabush
2009.12.24, 02:03 AM
Thanks Sai!

Davey G
2009.12.24, 10:34 AM
This product looks great! Good job....

Number1
2009.12.24, 11:49 AM
Amazing! I'm glad this is not a Front suspension kit with a $80 price tag and eight moving parts. I can afford five sets. One for myself; three for my enemies; the last one can be used for raffle.

I guess I'm waiting for the free set from you.:D

JeremyC
2009.12.24, 03:23 PM
I guess I'm waiting for the free set from you.:D

He was talking about me.

MINI-D
2009.12.25, 02:51 PM
Very nice. I just hope they are not gold-plated, but titanium-nitride coated. Gold plating isn't the right thing to do here for several reasons. ;)

color01 would you tell us more about it? Thank You.

D

Skv012a
2009.12.25, 04:08 PM
I like the fact that you don't have to disassemble much to change the springs AND that this operation finally doesn't involve removing the knuckle.

skyler
2009.12.26, 06:13 AM
color01 would you tell us more about it? Thank You.

D

I'm no engineer but i do know gold is very soft. Not the stuff you want to use in a high wear area. On the other hand, ti is what they coat the best drill bits and other machine tools to make them last.

Davey G
2009.12.26, 10:09 AM
I am 99% sure that Cristian will clarify that this is Titanium Nitride Plated like Losi shock shafts and like skyler mentioned many drill bits are.

MINI-D
2009.12.26, 10:24 AM
Hi skyier,
yes, its a coating of
titanium nitride that has a gold color. I have over 200 of them in my shop.
they last up to six times longer than standard bits and penetrate 50%
faster, use less power, and more. I would just like to get color01's take on
on this. :D I thank you for yours. :cool:

D

MINI-D
2009.12.26, 10:28 AM
Thank you Davey G :cool:

D

skyler
2009.12.26, 10:59 AM
Hi skyier,
yes, its a coating of
titanium nitride that has a gold color. I have over 200 of them in my shop.
they last up to six times longer than standard bits and penetrate 50%
faster, use less power, and more. I would just like to get color01's take on
on this. :D I thank you for yours. :cool:

D

So would I. He IS an engineer!

skyler
2009.12.26, 11:03 AM
I would just like to chime in and say that I agree with everyone that this product looks killer. It's great that every product Cristian releases you get the biggest bang for your buck.

MINI-D
2009.12.29, 02:55 AM
Hey MantisMMA (Marcus),
Can you shed some light on the kingpin coating, is it gold plating or
titanium nitride coating??? :confused: :D

Thank You!

D

ianc
2009.12.30, 01:49 AM
So I don't see it explicitly stated anywhere in the thread (although there seems to be a lot of assumptions) that this is in fact an 02 kingpin. I'm inclined to think it's not, otherwise Christian wouldn't really have a product to sell, as people would just be adding 02 kingpins, springs and cups and calling it a day. Don't have an 03 in front of me, so I can't really tell however...

Anyway, it's pure brilliance. Once you see it, you slap your forehead and say 'why didn't I think of that'?

CT, if Kyosho offers you a job, don't take it. Although... Japanese chicks are pretty cute... :D

ianc

MantisMMA
2009.12.30, 08:34 AM
Hey MantisMMA (Marcus),
Can you shed some light on the kingpin coating, is it gold plating or
titanium nitride coating??? :confused: :D

Thank You!

D

it is titanium nitride coating and we are working on some even better combinations of matl/coatings. Stainless is the worst matl for kingpinz point blank, i dont know why the companies keep making them out of that matl, doesnt make sense to me?????

MantisMMA
2009.12.30, 08:37 AM
So I don't see it explicitly stated anywhere in the thread (although there seems to be a lot of assumptions) that this is in fact an 02 kingpin. I'm inclined to think it's not, otherwise Christian wouldn't really have a product to sell, as people would just be adding 02 kingpins, springs and cups and calling it a day. Don't have an 03 in front of me, so I can't really tell however...

Anyway, it's pure brilliance. Once you see it, you slap your forehead and say 'why didn't I think of that'?

CT, if Kyosho offers you a job, don't take it. Although... Japanese chicks are pretty cute... :D

ianc

the 02 kingpins are nothing like the 03's!! the system is designed to use the std length 02 springs or the lowdowns with some shims.

MINI-D
2009.12.30, 10:57 AM
Thank You Marcus, :D
I cant wait to see what You and CT put together for all of us. :p
but I will, lol. ;)

D

color01
2009.12.31, 07:57 PM
It's not an 02 kingpin, obviously, but it is something that is hackable using an 02 kingpin and a spare pivot ball.

Reflex offering a TiN-coated version of this product (thanks for confirming, Marcus), plus a Delrin pivot ball, is icing on the cake. ;)

CT, if Kyosho offers you a job, take it -- I just came back from Japan, the "view" (wink wink nudge nudge) is great. :D

Tjay
2010.01.12, 04:55 PM
This is definitely an upgrade for MR03's front end. It is not even in comparison with stock front end. I felt how smooth this suspension is and watching CT's run during quals, you'll see the car is super stable like it was running on carpet but its not... I can't wait to get my hands on this!

CT: dont forget to send it this way. ;) Thanks!

Hekyl
2010.01.13, 11:09 AM
Is the diameter of these longer kingpins the same as the factory Kyosho kingpins. I ask because I just ordered the Kyosho Fluorine coated balls and need to know if they will fit. Just curious... I ordered the RR Delrin balls anyways.

dxm2
2010.01.13, 11:27 AM
I did this mod with extra kyosho balls and standard MR02 king pins and it is the same diameter.

Mike Keely
2010.02.01, 08:05 PM
Got my convertion stuff today. Thanks

CristianTabush
2010.02.01, 10:40 PM
Please keep us posted on your results!!!

Rune
2010.02.02, 12:53 AM
My review and more pics here:
http://bankenz.blogspot.com/2010/01/review-reflex-racing-mr-03-front-end.html

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/S0-a3GozcLI/AAAAAAAABIM/1zN6uehTPP4/s1024/IMG_5484.JPG
This front end rocks! Period.

Track record on the two different tracks i have been testing on.
Reacts extremely good to setup changes.
Fits together perfectly.
Very very consistent.
After a couple of weeks of use, no visible scratches in the coating on the king pins.
Smoother than anything available on the 03.

Finally i can use front springs that I really know the feel of.

Traveler
2010.02.02, 02:33 AM
Rune, thanks for the review and the great picture. My front end parts arrived yesterday and I can't wait to try them.

To these TiN coated kingpins need to be polished like the SS ones?

Rune
2010.02.02, 02:38 AM
Rune, thanks for the review and the great picture. My front end parts arrived yesterday and I can't wait to try them.

To these TiN coated kingpins need to be polished like the SS ones?

Check out my blog for more pics.

Do not polish them. They are as smooth as can be. Even the Kyosho plastic in the lower carrier did not need polishing. This could of course differ from car to car, but mine was a perfect fit.

I think any polishing of these king pins will destroy the coating they have.

Traveler
2010.02.02, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I will check out your blog.

Have you tested for clearance under LM bodies by any chance?

Rune
2010.02.02, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I will check out your blog.

Have you tested for clearance under LM bodies by any chance?

sorry. I have not. But the height of these are roughly the same as the King pins on an MR-02 I guess it will not be a problem.

Traveler
2010.02.02, 03:39 AM
Thanks again! Nice blog :)

EMU
2010.02.02, 04:14 AM
I just ordered mine... :)

B-main
2010.02.02, 08:17 PM
i just put the kingpins and balls on my car and OMFG there so smooth i had to put lube on them to slow down the action.another great product from reflex racing .are you going to make any 96mm carbon plates for the 03

CristianTabush
2010.02.02, 11:19 PM
I will look into Carbon, but especially at you track, the FRP plates are so much more consistent and faster than the carbon 96, that this is why we released FRP first. FRP, especially in the thickness we chose is a much better spring material than Carbon Fiber or SSG. I have received several requests for the Carbon ones, so I will probably have some made soon to test. It being February, you will not see much new stuff due to Chinese Lunar New Year for the whole month at our factory. We will see some new products land late March, early April, starting with our T-Bar mount, which will blow everyone's mind ;)

B-main
2010.02.02, 11:46 PM
ive seen the tbar mount .and its very cool .i deff need to get one of them

VAzRACER
2010.02.02, 11:59 PM
ive seen the tbar mount .and its very cool .i deff need to get one of them

The one I showed you was a prototype. What CT mentioned is a little bit different, the final product will have even more adjustment points.

Gofast
2010.02.03, 12:48 AM
Thank you Reflex. Just like the American Idol judges, "A thousand percent YES!" I didn't buy the delrin balls and it's already massively smoother than the original setup. And what? Only $7? Really? :D

P.S. They are a little taller than the 02 kingpins but fit all the race bodies that I have.

hrdrvr
2010.02.03, 07:14 AM
B-Main - CT is right, the fiberglass ones seem perfect, especially at our track :D Id probably be switching my 02s over, if I wasnt offing them :D

Matt hooked me up with one for my 03 at our recent event. I was running 94 and had a great car to start with. Once I installed the T-Bar (hardest one I believe) Matt loaned me, I went a tenth faster within the first three laps. I put the car down and didnt run it again until the first round of qualifying. I TQ'ed with the car in the first round, and was one of only three people to hit 29 in that class. I did 29 all three rounds including a 29/5:00.

The car was unbelievably good, and I feel sorry for my locals to race against it :D I finally got my hands on a VDSII, and went down another tenth as well as getting an even better 'feeling' in the car :D

Ive been running a hacked version of RR front suspension on that car allready, and can say the concept alone is far superior to the original 03 design once applied. Ill have this new front end set up onto my mod 03 to compare. I can say, a couple of guys beat me to installing it, and their cars are uber smooth! I cant believe its so free!!!

VAzRACER
2010.02.03, 09:23 AM
Landon,

The t plate I gave you was the medium one, I had the hardest one on my mod car.

hrdrvr
2010.02.03, 09:34 AM
Ahh, Cool. Thanks for the info Matt, and the part. :D Ive got my own now, so if you want to PM me your addy, I can send a replacement for you.

Forgive me if this is a double post. I know I replied, but it wont show up even with refreshing multiple times :(

VAzRACER
2010.02.03, 09:58 AM
Ahh, Cool. Thanks for the info Matt, and the part. :D Ive got my own now, so if you want to PM me your addy, I can send a replacement for you.

Forgive me if this is a double post. I know I replied, but it wont show up even with refreshing multiple times :(

It's all good man, just hang on to the plate. I'm glad you liked it, plus you helped show how well the frp plates work on the track.

B-main
2010.02.03, 10:28 AM
the mount will have even more adjustment points..cool FRP it is .matt the tires you cut down for me were 40 not my 30s .my mistake cost me a good showing in my main.=( sorry for the small hijack ct .the upper arms compress 1/2 the spring on one side .does that mean i need to run harder springs than i normally do

VAzRACER
2010.02.03, 01:43 PM
the mount will have even more adjustment points..cool FRP it is .matt the tires you cut down for me were 40 not my 30s .my mistake cost me a good showing in my main.=( sorry for the small hijack ct .the upper arms compress 1/2 the spring on one side .does that mean i need to run harder springs than i normally do

I has a feeling something was up. When you said the car pushed after the tires were tried it suprised me becuase everyone esle I tried tires for that weekend gained slot of front grip.

Back on topic.

I have been using white pn low down springs(sometimes yellow) with a spacer between the spring and the cup and two shims on top of the cup under the e clip. It's a lot to do but it is like this so that there can be unlimited adjustment for the ride height, pre load and droop.

I can't remember how thick the spacer was between the spring and cup but I can check when I get home. I think it was around .3-.4mm.

CristianTabush
2010.02.03, 02:06 PM

No, typically you can run PN white or PN Yellow. If you run the PN Knuckles, which lower the front, you can raise your front roll center and get away with purple and green, but the happy medium is either the white or yellow. for me right now.

dorifto46
2010.02.05, 02:01 AM
Prior to installing this new front end my fastest lap was an 8.7... Installed the front end and within a few laps i had already dropped an 8.7 very consistently. Fastest lap i dropped tonight was an 8.5 :) The front end is so smooth now and gives tons of steering. Next i need to try the frp 96 plates

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 02:02 AM
Good news! Glad you like it!

JuniorWKR
2010.02.05, 10:25 AM
converted 3 of my 03's to a reflex setup last night and all of my cars where on fire...

mr03 stock 70t - reflex front end (kingpins and delrin balls) and 96mm tplates... ferrari 430 body... went from 29 - 5 flat to an 30 - 5:06... track record on this layout is a 31 flat in mod and a 30 5:04 in stock...

car felt absolutly amazing, more predictable then ever before, and endless amounts of steering... i gained so much corner speed it was almost a little difficult to drive in the beginning hahaha... i couldnt keep up with how fast i was going through some of the more techincal sections...

mr03 mod pn 38t ballanced armature in ball braring can with neo magnets and stock brushes - reflex front end (kingpins and delrin balls) and 96mm tplate used to run at 100mm.... car is absolutly amazing effortless to drive and infeild and corner speed is just straight up stupid... i believe i ran a very low 30 lap 5 minr run... it was either a 5:02 or a 5:03... but none the less simply amazing... considering i ran a high 28 lap pace in mod prior cause i could never get any steering with all that power...

i also did a front end on my LM but have to leave the tplate due to it being a true LM class....

and just to let it be known i didnt change a single thing with the cars besides the front assembly and the tplates... and on all of the setups im running yellow 02 springs and medium tplate...

awesome work CT....

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29131&stc=1&d=1265387036

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29132&stc=1&d=1265387036

hrdrvr
2010.02.05, 10:37 AM
Dude, Junior, youve got to make those pics smaller. You just blew all the text from the thread straight off the page, lol :D

Nice results none the less.

I put the RR front set up (delrin balls and tall king pins) on my mod 03 and drove it for few turns. It feels great. I dont have any lap data, as we changed the layout after the event this past saturday. Im sure its going to make for more consistant running.

I put the delrin balls on my hacked 70t pan 03, and it got even better! I cant wait til we have another event!!

JuniorWKR
2010.02.05, 10:43 AM
i cant figure out the pic ordeal... if i take the pic with my blackberry thats how big it comes out on the computer... i will delete the pics from the thread and just leave it as a the shortcut...

JuniorWKR
2010.02.05, 10:47 AM
for some reason i cant edit... CT if you can please edit my post to just leave the pics as an attachment... thanks... i will try to see if its a setting on my phone that is making the pics so big...

ianc
2010.02.05, 12:05 PM
You can use photo editing software to resize the image. If you don't have it\don't know how, then email the pic to yourself. Your BB will ask if you want to resize the pic before adding it as an attachment to your mail.

ianc

JuniorWKR
2010.02.05, 01:01 PM
thanks... i build houses for a living.... computer is not my friend...

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 01:47 PM
I can't edit this thread because I am not a moderator on it, but thanks for ALL your positive comments! I am so excited to see such positive results and reviews from every person who has tried them. This is truly what makes me love what I do the most!

I have a bunch of projects in the works for this year. I am sure you will start seeing more pictures soon :)

skyler
2010.02.05, 02:23 PM
I can't edit this thread because I am not a moderator on it, but thanks for ALL your positive comments! I am so excited to see such positive results and reviews from every person who has tried them. This is truly what makes me love what I do the most!

I have a bunch of projects in the works for this year. I am sure you will start seeing more pictures soon :)

Cristian, Can you give usany hints besides the T-plate mount?

MantisMMA
2010.02.05, 02:31 PM
a tip: if you use the spring cups upside down it keeps the spring parallel with the king pin! i installed one of the stock shims under the cup to keep the arm from hitting it.

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 02:50 PM
I don't recommend what Marcus is stating though, while it keeps the spring "parallel" it increases friction on the front suspension (the cup has to slide on the kingpin and the ball rubs on the bottom of the cup as well, even with a shim). There is no negative to the spring bending slightly more on 1 side. The angle of the arm also influences this a lot. If you run the PN lowering knuckles, you are able to raise the roll center and keep the A-arms more parallel to the ground, while at the same time keeping the spring slightly more parallel to the king pin.

Another negative is that it also decreases your spring option range to only "Low Down" springs. This is the reason I wanted the front suspension to be done as it is. I have found the new PN MR-02 springs to be stiffer than the previous versions and they have nice ranges between the white and yellow from previous versions. (I still say the packaging got mixed up and these are the PN MR-03 lowdown springs!)

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 02:59 PM
Well, I'm gonna take that back, with certain Spring cups (like the 3Racing aluminum) the suspension does not bind at all. Some of the plastic ones do. So it is a good option to use if you are using slightly narrower springs that may hit on the delrin ball at the bottom. If you are using slightly bigger diameter springs, like AWD, or 02 low downs, you have a better range of adjustment with the spring cup at the top.

MantisMMA
2010.02.05, 03:05 PM
which springs are slightly narrow?

MantisMMA
2010.02.05, 03:06 PM
i am using the PN aluminum cups and there is no increased friction but the plastic kyosho ones had slightly more stiction.

dorifto46
2010.02.05, 04:03 PM
"I have found the new PN MR-02 springs to be stiffer than the previous versions and they have nice ranges between the white and yellow from previous versions. (I still say the packaging got mixed up and these are the PN MR-03 lowdown springs!) "

What color new springs are in between white and yellow spring rates?

lfisminiz
2010.02.05, 04:24 PM
I to got to try this front end last night for the first time. Simple/cheap and very effective. Well done. Guess we will have to see how the 03 A-arm stacks up to this. For ease and price, this is tops.:)

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 04:33 PM
It does increase friction Marcus, it is simple physics. There are more parts moving, therefore there is an increased friction coefficient.

Regular MR-02 springs are smaller bore than low down springs as well as AWD springs.

Springs that are in between-
Green, purple, perhaps white...

Tjay
2010.02.05, 04:54 PM
Very smooth!!! Just like what most of the guys had already mentioned. Thanks Reflex Racing R&D team!

delrin ball= one of the "must have" for your MR03. Just like what GoFast had mentioned, $7???!!!!!!!! It's so cheap! It made the car sooooooo much smoother!

btw, I would like to Thank Mini-D for hooking me up with the RR front end and something for me to test... 96mm FRP plates. :)

pedrocamp
2010.02.05, 04:57 PM
I did a spring rate check on the regular and low down 03 springs and found the low downs to be a softer range than the regular length. For example the low down yellow is equal rate to a standard length green. The stock 03 spring is equal to a purple standard length. I think the 03 low downs are 02 springs too, as far as rate anyway. I also have 3 sets of 02 low down greens with wildly different ranges, a green isn't a green. It would be nice if PN published the rates (measured or calculated) on their little sheets or on their website. I will have to buy a set of the newer 02 PN springs and check the rate to see where they fall.

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 05:22 PM
I think you will find that the new 02 springs will be the same rate, or at least closer rate to the 03 standard length than the 03 Low downs.. :P

MantisMMA
2010.02.05, 06:06 PM
It does increase friction Marcus, it is simple physics. There are more parts moving, therefore there is an increased friction coefficient.

i have a dry graphite/moly compound i use that all but eliminates the increased friction, at least to a point that you cannot tell and it doesnt "feel" different. i also use it on real engines when i assemble them. it actually bonds to metal. got it from a NASA job a few years ago! also i have found that if you want to add friction grease it make less of a mess if you use it on the upside down perches instead of inside the knuckle, you only get the dirt and grime on the top side of the kingpin:D

CristianTabush
2010.02.05, 06:25 PM
There is no argument here, you might not feel it, but the increased friction is there, NASA or not, they are proven laws of physics. It can be reduced, but not eliminated.

Less moving parts = less Friction

MantisMMA
2010.02.05, 06:57 PM
im not arguing that, im just saying that the amount of friction is not enough to make a difference especially since it is already smooth enough. someone already stated that they had to actually add friction grease because it was so smooth! this is a good thing. and it is VERY smooth now. i lost one of my delrin balls and am forced to use the flourine AL balls (which suck) and it is still smoother because of the coated kingpins. do you think that the smoothness contributed to the traction rolls we were getting last weekend?

dvsstrike
2010.02.07, 05:23 PM
this modification is a must have. the car turns better and responds 10 times better.

blt456
2010.02.07, 05:29 PM
Just ordered the new 96mm t-plats and front end set... hopefully it'll work better than my current setup..

JuniorWKR
2010.02.08, 01:06 PM
the narrowest spring cups on the market are the atomic delrins... even the 03 springs have room to move on them...

but a question?... i installed my cups the same way as the pic you posted on the first page of this thread... but what i realized is if the spring rotates to where the last coil is on the outside towards the tire the end of the cut coild binds on the delrin ball... if i spin the spring to the other side its as smooth as can be...

no heres my delema... with the spring cup on the top of the kingpin the suspension is the smoothest... but if the spring rotates while driving as it has happened to me it locks the one arm till the spring rotates again... this cost me a position in mod last week.. no big deal...

with the spring cups on the bottom there is no chance of the springs binding but the suspension is not as smooth...

is there any chance of getting a version II delrin ball that has a seat for the spring? this way we can continue to run the spring cup upside down on top of the kingpin?

JuniorWKR
2010.02.08, 01:43 PM
i have included a pic of what im trying to explain... basically it would be like a screw in ball link for nitro and helicopters without the screw... somebody please chime in who can friggin explain this in words...

by doing this i could remove the stock black oring shim on top of the knuckle and underneath the arm to give back the space that the new delrin ball with spring seat would take up...

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 02:05 PM
No, there will not be a different delrin ball available. There is no space for the delrin ball to have a seat machined because the majority of springs are too big in bore to make this work. We are working on some lower spring collars though, they should be available late March, maybe Mid April (there is no manufacturing during Feb in China). I have the prototypes on my car, and they work awesome!

Even if the spring rotates, it should not bind the arm. If you are having this problem, try using a slightly bigger diameter Spring, such as the PN Low Downs of even PN AWD springs (which have a TON of small increments in tension). These springs will sit just on the arm and should not touch the delrin ball.

ianc
2010.02.08, 02:09 PM
Dude, that .pdf file is out of control.

Why not just put a thin flat washer on top of the delrin ball for the spring to rest on?

ianc

ianc
2010.02.08, 02:18 PM
Why not just put a thin flat washer on top of the delrin ball for the spring to rest on?

Wait, scratch that suggestion. I now see why that would be a problem. Duh...

But the .pdf file is still out of control. :D

ianc

MantisMMA
2010.02.08, 02:20 PM
Dude, that .pdf file is out of control.

ianc

thats EXACTLY what i was explaining to do! the cups that CT has work even better . but in the mean time you have to use two washers, first a small one to keep the large one from hitting the arm and then a larger one

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 02:35 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Xz71n0H7MDw/S25dPKU2VnI/AAAAAAAAAFY/xhOuCRKb1WI/s400/mr03+002.jpg

Checkout the picture above. I just ordered to have these made...

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 02:36 PM
If you are running springs with a small diameter, try using a Reflex M2 washer at the Bottom like Ian Suggests...

JuniorWKR
2010.02.08, 02:41 PM
your pic is exactly what i was tring to explain... as far as the washer goes i have not been having any luck with them as they tend to gring on the kingpin... for now i will use a small dap of crazy glue to glue the spring to the spring cup and the cup to the top of the kingpin... i will wait for your prototype to become available.... please make arms to go with this that dont have the outrigger and come in pos and neg caster... the 03 loves a small amount of neg caster;):D....

ShortBus
2010.02.08, 02:41 PM
ok, so if i'm seeing the photo correctly, you put the spring cup back down over the delrin pivot ball facing upwards and then added a disc to be placed beneath the top clip?

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 03:04 PM
No, they are 2 identical spring cups, only 1.5mm in length.

For the time being, the Reflex M2 washers can be placed at the bottom of the spring, on top of the ball and they will not grind on the kingpin, as the bore of the hole is big enough. Then at the top, you can use ANY 3-5mm Spring cup for the MR-02...

ianc
2010.02.08, 03:06 PM
Christian,

Just a suggestion:

What would make this much more understandable and make this mod easier to implement would be to publish some sort of sectional drawing from the side showing your recommended order of installation of shims, washers, springs, and spring cups.

I went to go to make this mod and was looking at the various pictures people had posted to try to figure out what went there but I'm not sure what I ended up with is optimal...

ianc

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 03:06 PM
As for caster, we are not making arms... Instead we are finishing up on the design of an upper tower bar that will have infinitely adjustable camber and also 2 caster settings, 2 degrees and 4 degrees...

Pictures will follow as soon as we get closer to getting a prototype on our hands...

JuniorWKR
2010.02.08, 03:12 PM
cant wait...

CristianTabush
2010.02.08, 03:16 PM
Christian,

Just a suggestion:

What would make this much more understandable and make this mod easier to implement would be to publish some sort of sectional drawing from the side showing your recommended order of installation of shims, washers, springs, and spring cups.

I went to go to make this mod and was looking at the various pictures people had posted to try to figure out what went there but I'm not sure what I ended up with is optimal...

ianc

I will work on a Short turotial this week. You are totally correct!

SaiTam
2010.02.08, 06:05 PM
I bought a set of the Extra long king pin. They gave increased steering and the front does not hop as much; I didn't even use any lube or oil. However, I did have a little hard time making one of the pillow ball go through. But once it went through everything was fine. I made fun of the people losing their MR03 springs and showed them what I had. I didn't make the race so I don't know what my time would be.

skyler
2010.02.09, 01:53 PM
I bought a set of the Extra long king pin. They gave increased steering and the front does not hop as much; I didn't even use any lube or oil. However, I did have a little hard time making one of the pillow ball go through. But once it went through everything was fine. I made fun of the people losing their MR03 springs and showed them what I had. I didn't make the race so I don't know what my time would be.

Tower Hobbies and other sell ball link pliers that making taking the old balls out and installing the new ones a breeze. I got a set by Venom because it was the cheapest.

Jace1283
2010.02.09, 06:16 PM
i put the setup on my car and it is awesome, its like, "don't let you're competitors know how good" awesome. thanks CT, it solves other issues as well, great product!

CristianTabush
2010.02.09, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys!!! I am super pumped everyone likes this so much! You all have no idea. It is by far our best selling product ever...

I have already ordered a second production of them because they will run out quick!!!

arch2b
2010.02.09, 08:12 PM
thank you :) the genius is it's simplicity.

i installed mine but i won't be racing till the 20th. :(

Rune
2010.02.10, 04:15 AM
A little update on my experiences with this one.

I have now used this front end for about 20 hours of effective driving. No problems yet.

At every track i have used it on, it is just as predictable as can be. Super easy to find a setup, and always smooth.
No visible wear on the kingpins either.

This is still the single most effective upgrade I got on the 03. And so cheap:D

dxm2
2010.02.10, 11:06 AM
I agree, this is a great mod. I'm running this with the PN lowered knuckles and it works great. Easy to change springs, too!

blt456
2010.02.11, 01:25 AM
I just received my front end and the 96mm plates... the delrin balls and ti coated kingpins makes it as smooth if not smoother than my old PN a-arm. I can't drive it until next week so I will have a local Reflex guy pick it up tomorrow to run it.. thanks for another set of products.

Just wondering, are there any more parts for the 03 that Reflex is making? I prefer not to buy duplicates of parts..:)

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 02:35 AM
At the time, we are working on a T Bar mount, front spring cups and front tower bar. The tower bar is quite a bit away though...

dbsteve
2010.02.11, 05:06 AM
Looking forward to test it in Germany @ the Mini Z Masters :p

hrdrvr
2010.02.11, 07:31 AM
I hit my first bit of dissapointment with his front end last night :( It was going to be the first time I got to run it, but it never hit the track. The tops of the king pins hit the inside of my VDS body. Ive got the body pretty jacked up (body mounts a good 2mm lower than stock), and it still presses onto the tops of the pins when I snap it in. Another guy and I were tuning together, and he noticed it was hitting on the inside of his 430 too. On the ferrari it would be pretty easy to trim the window mounting points, but on the VDS its in a precarious spot. We tried a few different bodies that we each had on hand, and found it hit inside about half of them.

What bodies are you guys running this set up on?

Traveler
2010.02.11, 07:42 AM
I slapped mine on a brand new 03 last night in a hurry and am hoping to at least test it at HSH today. Its under an 07 NSX body and I noticed the same thing. I'm using the PN adjustable front body mount system, so I expect a couple of additional shims between the clip and base will fix the clearance issue. Seems like the PN system lowers the front of the body compared to the stock clip and I didn't use all the shims provided at first. My mistake. :o

Really looking forward to CTs recommended order and number of shims in the various spots. I didn't have the time last night to get the right combination.

Can't wait to try this front end out! :)

Rune
2010.02.11, 08:24 AM
I have been using it on 575GTC, 2008 GT-R 500, NSX 2007, lexus SC430.

I have not seen any of these problems yet.

danny250r
2010.02.11, 08:32 AM
is this a kit that RR sells complete ,or a bunch of different parts that they sell if so is there a part # thanks :D

hrdrvr
2010.02.11, 08:32 AM
^ Im running the sc430 on my other car, so maybe Ill trade front ends for this layout :D IDK what Ill do when we swap, and I need a different body :(

^^ M, Im not going to be investing the PN body mount systems. I mostly run VDS, which Im sure PN wont support :D Also, I switch from the lexus, a couple of different ferrairs, the dbr9, 350z, NSX, vette, and the LM bodies way too much. Id have an MR03's worth of front clips if I had to replce them all :D

Maybe tommorrow I can do a proper evaluation.....

Traveler
2010.02.11, 09:19 AM
is this a kit that RR sells complete ,or a bunch of different parts that they sell if so is there a part # thanks :D

Only two parts. Extra Long King Pins and Delrin Suspension Pivot Balls.

Links are on the home page under NEWS FOR THE WEEK - 1/28/2010

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 09:51 AM
Landon, I had to trim a bit of the VDS 2 body on the inside to get clearance, but not so much as to cut through the body. You might also want to take a sanding drum and a dremel and take off a little off of the top of the king pin and you will get a bit of extra suspension travel. The Lexus I have not had any clearance issues at all, perhaps the body is too low? The VDS II is the body I ran at the Tekin Nationals and it works incredibly with the front end.

JuniorWKR
2010.02.11, 10:01 AM
i run the ferrari 430 and the murcialago anf have no problems with anything hitting... had to just do some light sanding to the front window tabs on the 430 and that was it...

hrdrvr
2010.02.11, 10:21 AM
CT, I figured you would have an answer for the VDS :D I looked at it again this morning, and it is barely hitting. Its not stting down onto it like I previously thought. Im not scared of the dremel, so I kow I can make that one work :D I havent tried the lexus. Sorry for the confusion. Rune mentioned trying it, and not having any issue, so Ill switch the king pins to my lexus set up for now (its running on my other hack job front end).

Junior, thanks for the info! Ill snip off those tabs, and try that one out agian! I may stick with the 360, as its got the clearance without trimming anything. I always like to have options though. :D

WeBoC
2010.02.11, 12:03 PM
I have no problems with 350Z GT500 2007 with Pn front lip with 3 spacers. Looks that there's still about 2mm of room left.
Has anyone tried LM bodies with this front end?

danny250r
2010.02.11, 12:26 PM
Only two parts. Extra Long King Pins and Delrin Suspension Pivot Balls.

Links are on the home page under NEWS FOR THE WEEK - 1/28/2010

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 01:13 PM
I have tried the saber, and there is no clearance issues whatsoever. The bends on the body are in the PERFECT SPOT!

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 01:16 PM
No issue with the Porsche or Mazda either. :)

hpgod
2010.02.11, 02:45 PM
CT
You tried raising the tower pin yet to solve the roll center problems. a arm pin need to raise up to reduce the camber gain. It can be tested by plaing shims between the top cover and the chasis. :) Raise the pin and we then can raise the knucle further without getting excessive camber gain.
Test using your m2 front bearing shims:)

You can do the math using the Pythagorean theorem and curcumfurance(R =A arm length). The exact camber gain can be calculated easily for different heights with a suspension limit. Its just a geometry calculation.

JuniorWKR
2010.02.11, 03:11 PM
thats what we were doing before any hop up parts were available to lower the front end og the 03.... it worked really good with the low down springs as we were able to loweer the front end and gain a tad bit of sitting camber before anything was to move... eliminated all traction rolling problems....

but this new front end is 10 times better than doing that as the arms sat at the top of the stock kingpin and got a little sticky where the groove for the eclip was...

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 03:20 PM
CT
You tried raising the tower pin yet to solve the roll center problems. a arm pin need to raise up to reduce the camber gain. It can be tested by plaing shims between the top cover and the chasis. :) Raise the pin and we then can raise the knucle further without getting excessive camber gain.
Test using your m2 front bearing shims:)

You can do the math using the Pythagorean theorem and curcumfurance(R =A arm length). The exact camber gain can be calculated easily for different heights with a suspension limit. Its just a geometry calculation.

SHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! This will be adjustable on our tower bar as well, granted by placing washers underneath it, but we are designing it with this in mind. It is an incredibly powerful tuning aid! :)

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 03:22 PM
This is also why the Mantis wheels are 1mm smaller in the front ;) It allows you to raise the roll center of the car by dropping it with a smaller tire, instead of a ton of shims under the knuckles.

Low roll centers can be good as well though, in some circumstances, like at the Tekin Nats, a low roll center Pan Car was better than a high roll center one... :)

hrdrvr
2010.02.11, 03:29 PM
I have tried the saber, and there is no clearance issues whatsoever. The bends on the body are in the PERFECT SPOT!

I just snapped a c9 onto mine and it hits. I think its minimal enough it could be trimmed away, but I thought I throw this out here. Off to try the 962 and 787.....

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 04:14 PM
I think you might be running too much suspension stroke. If this is the case, the body might hit the ground before the suspension hits the body...

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 04:16 PM
I know what the difference is! You are probably using plastic knuckles, which camber the pin a little bit to the inside... Yes, here, you might need a bit of trimming!

hrdrvr
2010.02.11, 05:47 PM
^ Im definitely running the stock plastic knuckles. I dont think I could afford to lower the front with the PN knuckles (Are those the ones you are running?). On our track ride height is very important to the elevation transitions.

Also, on your first comment, I generally need more suspension travel than most because of the same thing :D

CristianTabush
2010.02.11, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I am running the PN Knuckles. I posted in the reflex blog a long article about it...

www.reflexracing.blogspot.com

hpgod
2010.02.11, 08:54 PM
cool
If you are on it great. I dont have the time nor the marketing channels to get parts fabbed up economically anymore like I used to when racing larger scales. I know how you feel about the sensation of having your own parts work. Many of my part ideas being incorporated in this generation 1/8th scale these days.
Have fun testing:) I will preorder the parts when you put them up.
now get PN to make a +2 lower bar so we can make it a WTF with your tierod is long enough:)

PS What is the eta on PN knucles restocking? Every shop apears to be out of the last production run.

Art Shull

hrdrvr
2010.02.17, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I am running the PN Knuckles. I posted in the reflex blog a long article about it...

www.reflexracing.blogspot.com

Nice Blog. I hadnt been keeping up lately, but scored some good information from there :D I tried some similar things with my car this past friday with good results. Instead of taking down my strong 96mm pan car, I decided to take apart my mod car (we voted to run GT stock and Super stock anyway) and try a set up similar to yours. I allready had RR delrin balls as well as the extra long king pins mounted to the front of the car (along with PN low-down white springs). I took my side damper and 98/102 pod off, and swapped on one of my typical PN 94/98 rear ends with a little bonus added. Im running a fiberglass DDS plate, but Ive added some of the Kyosho teflon tape...a tip I stole from RR team driver Matt Ward when he was down here for our event. Ive got a PN LW ceramic diff, and I started with a PN CF #5 MM T-Plate. This is the plate I was running on my other pan car before Matt hooked me up with the 96mm FRP plate.

I didnt have time to trim the inside of the windshiled on my 430, so I opted to go with the similar f360. The 360s window is a little further back, so there were no mods neccesary, and the rear end is a little wider. Ive got mine with the front lip fully intact.

First impressions, it was a little twitchier than my pan car. Luckily with the layout we are running the choppy-ness was some what of an advantage. Our track doesnt have a lot of high speed sweepers right now. By the main I had the balance figured out, and my car was dialed every where except higher speed transitions. Weve got two sweepers back to back (a right followed by a left), and a sweeper leading to a very tight turn (also right then left) where I had to baby the throttle a bit or Id spin. When I say "baby" it sounds even worse than it is. Basically I had to totally lift on entry, or let off to about 85% through the transition. I couldnt even tell I was losing ground when other cars were around, but I know I could squeeze out a tenth between the two places by driving in harder.

When it comes down to it, I think glue-ing my rear tires (which I can do now that Ive got the right ones :D) will solve the issue I was having. But, even with the problems, the car went down to the same lap time as my pan car. Myself and one other guy got down to the 8.1s in super stock. I ran multiple 8.1s with my 360 car too! Yesterday I took it for a few more test runs (trying to figure out how to drive it harder), and got down into the 7s! My pan car felt "better", but the best I could do was 8.011 (about .05 slower than the 360). The beauty of the 360 is, I was doing 8.1s and 8.2s without having to push anywhere on the track! I think if my batteries could hold it, I could do an 8.3 mean ona an 8 minute run. Once I glue my tires (and maybe add some thicker DDS lube), if I can drive in a little harder, this car will dominate my pan car.

A couple other notes that actually slowed the car down. It was my mod car, so it doesnt have any extra power mods, while the super stock car has the power wires upgraded, the on/off switch removed, and the FETS replaced with a 3x2 of 8858s. Also, I was running an ASC. I think Ill drop a few grams when I swap it for a white body :D Lastly, the motor felt weak, while the motor in my pan car has typically been one of my faster ones. The pan car motor started going out on me practicing yesterday (squeeking and momentarily dropping power), so I think its about done. Ill let you guys know how low I get once I swap both motors out (or rework them atleast!).

And just for giggles, here are a couple of shots of the car Im talking about. The front end is awesome.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/IMAG0083.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/IMAG0084.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/IMAG0081.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/IMAG0078.jpg

blt456
2010.02.20, 08:57 PM
WoW! This is the front end to use on your MR-03!!!!! I just tried this today w/ the new G10 96mm hard plate and my car is so great. I have lots of steering, but at the same time, the ultra smooth front end makes it feel so much easier to drive. I am running 12/52 with a stock-r (basically mod) and it is extremely easy to handle. I still have a little more work but given that I haven't driven in 2 weeks and can handle this car shows that these parts are really good, to me at least.

egonzalez
2010.02.20, 08:58 PM
Cristian

I changed my front end suspension to your design last week and it works great... The suspension is smooth and the car transition through the turns effortlessly. A must have upgrade for any Mr03.. For those of you who want to try Cristian’s setup, make sure you also buy the delrin balls for the upper arms.

unwritten
2010.02.22, 04:04 PM
I installed the Reflex Racing Extra Long Ti Nitride Coated King Pin. But then I realized that one of the ball joint is bigger than the other. It fits really tight on either left or right. The other one is Perfect, put them on and it really make the suspension so smoooth....without doing anything to it. So I end up polishing the ball on the bigger one to make them fit nicely. But that also mean that I am taking out the Ti Nitride Coat on the king pin. At least just on the ball. I'm just a bit dissapointed that i have to take the coating out, coz now one is gold and the other one is silver. :(

Rune
2010.02.22, 04:21 PM
I had almost the same problem on another lower cover here, and one side was a tight fit, but strangely it was sometimes on one side, and sometimes on the other. Regardless of what kingpin I used.

I looked a bit closer on the hole in the plastic, and find that there are some "burrs" there. Probably after the mold or something.
This mold remains were very thin, and were dragged down with the ball when I popped it in. But this did not happen every time I popped it in.

I used a scalpel to carefully cut away the small burrs, and then the stock kingpin without any polishing compound and just worked it with my hands for a bit. After that it was a perfect fit.

CristianTabush
2010.02.23, 09:50 PM
I installed the Reflex Racing Extra Long Ti Nitride Coated King Pin. But then I realized that one of the ball joint is bigger than the other. It fits really tight on either left or right. The other one is Perfect, put them on and it really make the suspension so smoooth....without doing anything to it. So I end up polishing the ball on the bigger one to make them fit nicely. But that also mean that I am taking out the Ti Nitride Coat on the king pin. At least just on the ball. I'm just a bit dissapointed that i have to take the coating out, coz now one is gold and the other one is silver. :(

Send me your information and I will send out a replacement set free of charge. I am sure that the problem has to do with the coating being a little bit too thick. You are the first one to have encountered this and we can't expect every production batch to be perfect. :)

Anyways, TUTORIAL TIME!!!
http://www.reflexracing.net/MR03_suspension_install.asp

CristianTabush
2010.02.23, 09:53 PM

Send me your contact info to contact@reflexracing.net and I will send a replacement set free of charge. It might be the molding, it might be that the coating is too thick. Either way, we have not heard of any defective pieces, but in a large production run, this can be expected.

Anyways, I have the tutorial finally finished!
http://www.reflexracing.net/MR03_Suspension_Install.asp

SaiTam
2010.02.23, 09:59 PM
I had the same issue; one kingpin was easy to slide through the suspension pillow ball but the other one was very tough to get through. The second set I bought was OK.

Traveler
2010.02.24, 09:34 AM
CT - Just saw you new tutorial on the RR site. Very nice! :D

Guess I need to get some M2 washers in my next order. Currently using stock MR-02 spring spacer.

ianc
2010.02.24, 09:37 AM
Christian,

Thanks for the tut, but dude, you've got some hairy tires... :D

ianc

CristianTabush
2010.02.24, 09:45 AM
I know, I just wanted to throw somethingup quickly. The photo booth really brings that stuff out. I will probably re-shoot it once the 1.5mm spring collars arrive at the end of March... :P

remy
2010.02.24, 11:42 AM
Hello,

I wonder where I can find delrin ball and a gold-plated, longer kingpin ? The Kyosho kingpin is shorter and I cannot use the MR02 spring.

Best regards

PR

unwritten
2010.02.24, 12:13 PM
Send me your contact info to contact@reflexracing.net and I will send a replacement set free of charge. It might be the molding, it might be that the coating is too thick. Either way, we have not heard of any defective pieces, but in a large production run, this can be expected.

Anyways, I have the tutorial finally finished!
http://www.reflexracing.net/MR03_Suspension_Install.asp

CT, I emailed you yesterday with my purchase info.
Again... Thank you....

Traveler
2010.02.24, 12:28 PM
Hello,

I wonder where I can find delrin ball and a gold-plated, longer kingpin ? The Kyosho kingpin is shorter and I cannot use the MR02 spring.

Best regards

PR

Here (http://www.reflexracing.net/products.asp?cat=48) you go! :)

CristianTabush
2010.02.24, 12:29 PM
Hello,

Best regards

PR

you can purchase at our store: www.reflexracing.net

or you can also purchase in Europe at www.teamtracker.es or at www.neosport.com (both stores are in Spain) www.atomic-shop.de and www.srcc-shop.de (both in Germany).

CristianTabush
2010.02.24, 12:30 PM
Wendra, I will send out some replacements for you today or tomorrow. Same for you Sai. Sai, can you please send me your addy via PM or e-mail?

Thanks

unwritten
2010.02.24, 02:23 PM
Wendra, I will send out some replacements for you today or tomorrow.

Thanks

CT - Thank you.....

Cherub1m
2010.03.03, 06:03 AM
Well, I got two sets of the Reflex Ti long kingpins and a pair of delrin balls for my 03s. I tried both suspension geometry but decided to stick with the conventional suspension set-up. The suspension is very smooth I was able to use the PN low down springs, but the best part about these Reflex 03 Ti kingpins was the ability tp keep my ride height, by raising (shimming under the upper arms) the upper arms to gain around 1.5 degrees of camber (got to love camber gain). I use the Ferrari Enzo so I had to do a small amount of sanding under the body (and no I did not have to go through the body) and I sanded a very small portion of the top part of the kingping for clearance (i am still able to put the e-clip, dont need it but I like it there and who knows I may want to try the spring above the a-arm again :D)

In short, saw it tried it loved it!!!, great work by Reflex.

arch2b
2010.03.22, 09:13 PM
when will these king pins be back in stock?

Skv012a
2010.03.22, 09:39 PM
when will these king pins be back in stock?

Second that.

CristianTabush
2010.03.25, 03:00 AM
These are arriving early next week along with the T Bar Mount.

hpgod
2010.03.25, 07:21 AM
ct when are you expecting atomic top plates restocked.

2nd how long till we get at wtf version of the bars?

CristianTabush
2010.03.25, 12:21 PM
Top plates by the end of next week hopefully. As for the WTF, it'll be a while. Once we have our adjustable upper bar out, we should release the WTF about 2 months later. The factory just takes soooooooooooooo long...

On a good note, the V2 spurs and upper arm pins should be available around the end of April. We also received some other cool prototypes today :)

Ton
2010.03.25, 02:22 PM
IŽll be waiting for.

CristianTabush
2010.03.30, 08:16 PM
Kingpins and Derlrin Balls are now back in stock, as well as the ALL NEW adjustable T BAR Mounts.

ocean rodeo
2010.03.30, 08:31 PM
That's crazy. I just emailed you about these.

skyler
2010.03.31, 04:03 AM
Cristian, When will the spring cups be in? I thought they were coming the same time as the t-bar mounts.

Rune
2010.03.31, 04:35 AM
Great news.
:D

CristianTabush
2010.03.31, 11:42 AM
The spring cups are in on Friday or Monday. They were done a week later, so I just had the factory ship what was ready so that we did not have to wait until they were ready.

Skv012a
2010.04.01, 01:17 AM
Just ordred pins and balls and can't wait to see how these will sit on my 03.

pgeldz
2010.06.16, 04:17 AM
I just ordered these as well, last week. Normally I get a reply from Christian within a day, but it's been almost a week and havenen't heard anything yet.

Christian, are you on Holiday or something? No biggie if you are. I'm just anxious to install this new front end on my MR-03. I have race coming up soon and I'd love to have it in time...

Please hit me back when you can...

:)

- Paulie

Rune
2010.06.16, 07:33 AM
Cristian is in Guatemala for the PN Racing Mini-Z World Cup Central American Region race.
The race was scheduled for june 12'th, so I guess he is back soon.

Rune

pgeldz
2010.06.17, 03:43 AM
Cristian is in Guatemala for the PN Racing Mini-Z World Cup Central American Region race.
The race was scheduled for june 12'th, so I guess he is back soon.

Rune

He just replied to me today stating such. I had no idea he was out of the country.

Now if I can only get the folks at Team Screem racing to e-mail me back...

I ordered and paid for 2 sets of their TSR Matched AAA's a week ago, and haven't heard anything from them yet.

Is that place legit?

- Paulie

dvsstrike
2010.06.17, 06:26 AM
I believe he had afire a while back and had to scale things down. I don't know if he is back up in running though

Laxracer
2010.06.19, 07:54 AM
Hmmm disturbing to hear about other peoples delayed shipping. I order stuff on the 4th and I still haven't heard anything. I hate to do it but I may need to file a paypal claim, since I haven't heard anything.

Traveler
2010.06.19, 08:11 AM
Relax guys! If your order included the new upper arm mount, you preordered it, meaning your items won't ship until they are in. Plus, as mentioned previously, CT is out of the country. The RR site clearly states:

Due to a Volcanic Eruption in Guatemala, and the Severe Tropical Storm that is going on as we speak, our trip to the PN World Cup Central American Regional has been delayed until Thursday, June 3rd. The Race has now been postponed to June 12th.

I'm sure orders will begin to ship as soon as the parts are in and CT is back.

Laxracer
2010.06.19, 09:16 AM
Uhhh the 12th was a week ago. I held off sending an email until yesterday because I saw that. Unfortunately with out a response paypal ties my hands, they have time limits from accepting of payment.

It also sounded like others have recieved an email I haven't yet.

pgeldz
2010.06.19, 10:41 AM
Uhhh the 12th was a week ago. I held off sending an email until yesterday because I saw that. Unfortunately with out a response paypal ties my hands, they have time limits from accepting of payment.

It also sounded like others have recieved an email I haven't yet.

I received an e-mail from Christian direct, and he said all orders should be shipped out by Monday...

Just a heads up...

:)

- Paulie

Laxracer
2010.06.19, 11:24 AM
thanks for the heads up Paulie :)
I was going to wait until the last possible moment. :)
I haven't had an issue with them in the past. :)

CristianTabush
2010.06.20, 02:00 AM
All orders will be caught up by Monday. I only sent e-mails off to the people that attempted to contact me via e-mail. I had no access to the phone while I was gone.

Laxracer
2010.06.20, 07:40 AM
Cristian
Thanks for the heads up :)
I sent you an email on friday.

C

Laxracer
2010.06.21, 08:37 PM
I would like to say Cristian, is a stand up guy. He said he would ship everything today. And he did. Thank Cristian :)

pgeldz
2010.06.29, 07:27 AM
Hey fellas...just received my new RR front end parts for the MR-03!

Since the new RR MR-03 front end set up doesn't require the stock springs in the stock location, are you guys cutting the stock arms shorter to save weight, or leaving them full length?

I wasn't sure if cutting them down would change anything like preload, etc.

Your thoughts?

- Paulie

EMU
2010.06.29, 05:07 PM
I have seen some cut them down, I left mine normal. It gives me the ability to go back if I want.

pgeldz
2010.06.30, 01:33 AM
I have seen some cut them down, I left mine normal. It gives me the ability to go back if I want.

No worries, I bought an extra set of stock arms, so I'm good either way :)

- Paulie

arch2b
2010.08.08, 10:50 AM
when will these be back in stock?

EMU
2010.08.08, 11:41 AM
Reflex Racing will soon be releasing Delrin front arms, that are exclusively for the long kingpin/upper spring, and dont have the spring arm.
http://www.reflexracing.net/prodimages/images/RX1160_01.jpg

CristianTabush
2010.08.08, 01:11 PM
Arch, the new production is about 1 month out. :( Sorry about this, but we are trying so hard to streamline our manufacturing. Sometimes, due to our limited capital we have to wait to get a little more $$$ to order second production runs. This is changing quickly though. The Tri-shock, the Upper arms and another little project we have in the works took up the majority of our funds for the month of July. We are still small, and a lot of sacrifice goes into putting out these products for the Mini-Z community. This is why we are ever so grateful for all of our customers and dealers accross Europe, Asia, South and Central America, and the USA. We are pushing very hard to become a truly, performance first-oriented full line of Mini-Z parts and we can proudly say that we are getting close.

We have a lot of new products in the works. Our goal is to realease 2-3 items over the next couple of months. For example, the motor mount is undergoing it's last 2 or 3 revisions before we get the first samples made. It will blow everything else out of the water ;)

skyler
2010.08.08, 01:11 PM
Hey guys, when you build your front end take Cristian's advice. I tried all the other brands upper arm pins in the Reflex adjustable upper suspension mount and had a little play. So i tried Reflex's mirror polished arm pins. Since they are a slightly oversize, i was able to polish them a little and get a perfect smooth fit! Can't wait for the delrin upper arms.

color01
2010.08.13, 08:33 AM
Cristian, just pre-ordered a pair of the arms -- do they have the exact same specs as stock, or is there a little more/a little less camber? They look good in the pics, I'm eager to replace my cut stock 03 arms. :)

CristianTabush
2010.08.16, 11:53 AM
Brian, they are pretty much the same geometry. Just takes variables out of the equation. Much easier to adjust geometry with the other parts.

arch2b
2010.10.09, 06:07 PM
when will you have a restock of the Reflex Racing MR-03 Front King Pin Package?

CristianTabush
2010.10.09, 06:08 PM
Arch, it should be about 1 to 2 weeks. From what I am told, they are almost ready.

arch2b
2010.10.09, 06:49 PM
thanks. i waited till i had the money which was to long and they went of stock. always seem to happen to me:p

EMU
2010.10.09, 08:42 PM
thanks. i waited till i had the money which was to long and they went of stock. always seem to happen to me:p

I have found that in this hobby, if you want something you cant wait... otherwise it may disappear, sometimes for good :eek:. Ive lost out on a lot of items because of the same reasons. With the small runs that these parts are produced, you have to get them before they are gone. This is one reason why I rarely sell my cars and parts, because sometimes I want a specific part that is no longer available... This is one reasons why I really like pre-orders. It gives you a chance to work out the budget for the new parts before they are available.

CristianTabush
2010.10.20, 04:31 PM
All the parts are now back in stock!

arch2b
2011.08.13, 09:28 PM
found out today that this spring/long king pin setup does function under the new Honda HSV autoscale. :( cutting clearance holes will solve the problem but there is no way in hell i'm cutting into the top of a new $50 autosacle so i'm off to find a new front suspension unless there are options?

unearthed name
2011.08.13, 09:41 PM
reverse kingpin time arch?

arch2b
2011.08.13, 10:05 PM
i already have the reverse kingpin parts, i'm just not looking forward to changing up what has been working very well for me for a long time.

ruf
2011.08.14, 12:23 AM
Trust me you'll like it. :)

machgo5go
2011.08.14, 12:57 AM
found out today that this spring/long king pin setup does function under the new Honda HSV autoscale. :( cutting clearance holes will solve the problem but there is no way in hell i'm cutting into the top of a new $50 autosacle so i'm off to find a new front suspension unless there are options?http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/HSV010002Medium.jpg Here you go, $50.00 with 2 holes! This is just my back up car since I don't fell comfortable as my main Mod race car. This body just grabs the rails too violent in this sharp edge front fenders especially in a tight layout. Fast open Layout works better.

color01
2011.08.14, 01:40 AM
Doesn't look like you're off by much. Really can't bring yourself to grind a little bit of clearance into the shell? I would say you need less than 1mm for sufficient clearance, that's definitely not going to be visible from outside.

For a marginally shorter kingpin, you might look into popping a Delrin ball (Reflex, PN, what have you) and putting a Kyosho kingpin through that. It shortens the height of the spring-over configuration somewhere from 1-2mm, and that should be enough for you to clear the HSV even without grinding! ;)

arch2b
2011.08.14, 09:25 AM
it hits right at the down turn. in the picture, it looks like the plastic is thinner at this area.

my HSV looks very much like yours machgo5go. i cut the front splitter down to about 3mm in width and rounded the shape parallel to the nose. i ran it stock all day yesterday and it does instantly grab the rails but in truth, shouldn't be riding the rails anyway.