PDA

View Full Version : Transponder on MR03's ICS port?

ianc
2009.12.22, 04:26 PM
Hey folks,

We have been using the two rear-most pins on the ICS port to power our transponders on the 02 2.4 boards. The rear-most pin is ground, and in front of it is hot. If you arbitrarily designate the front-most pin (toward the front of the car) as #1, then we were using #3 (hot) and #4 (gnd).

Last nite I got my 03 out on the track for the first time (ran awesome), and moved one of my transponder harnesses over to it, but the transponder was not seen, so I can only assume these two pins are not hot and ground as on the 02 board. This is with a known-good transponder and harness.

We tried #4 gnd and #3 hot, but no soap. We also tried #1 gnd and #2 hot, but nothing.

Anyone using the ICS port on the 03 to power your transponder, and if so, what pins are you using?

Thanks for the help,

ianc

mk2kompressor
2009.12.22, 04:59 PM
the two rear ones the same as the 02 (im using the pn wire kit with a plug at each end)

ianc
2009.12.22, 05:05 PM
the two rear ones the same as the 02

I'd like to believe that, but it wasn't working for me last nite. I could not get that transponder to register at all, then I removed it and the harness and put them back on the 02 I took them off and they worked fine.

Either those two pins are different, or my board has a problem...

Anyone else?

ianc

Hekyl
2009.12.23, 10:49 AM
IANC. I assume that you've made the connection via ICS and that is working fine?

I too need to figure this out as well as I run my transponder the same way you do. I know yesterday I messed with the program settings via ICS and that was working fine, have not plugged in my transponder as of yet.

yasuji
2009.12.23, 11:05 AM
@ netzone rc we have been using the pn plug/adapter wires....it has been working fine on both mr02 and mr03 chassis we just plug it in....

chad508
2009.12.23, 12:04 PM
mine works as well as others at my local track. sounds like your board has a problem. have you checked voltage on the pins?

Hekyl
2009.12.23, 07:25 PM
I don't have the PN plugs (4 pin connectors) referred to in the posts above.

I plugged my transponder (2 pin connectors) in what I thought was the rear (2 pins from the rear of car) and no luck. I plugged it in the 2 pins from the front of car and it works just fine. Just to clarify the 2 pins from the front of the car gives my i-Lap transponder power. I believe this is pins 3 and 4 from the rear of the car.

I hope this helps

Felix2010
2009.12.24, 02:54 AM
ianc - If you look at the 4-prong ICS port on the RA-18/MR02-ASF PCB, it is on the left-side of the board (when looking at the car from the rear). On the MR03, the 4-prong ICS port was "swung-around" to the right side of the PCB, and in the process the port got flipped upside-down. So now, the first-prong (forward-most prong) is the negative (Instead of the rear-most prong), and the second-from-front prong is the positive(power) lead for the transponder. I use I-Lap transponders, and they are 4-socket plugs that go completely into the ICS port. For the MR03, compared to the MR02 2.4-ASF, I noticed that I had to flip the plug round in order to insert the plug properly in the ICS socket's groove.

Hope this helps!:D

ianc
2009.12.24, 05:06 PM
OK, I just wanted to let you all know that I have been smoking crack... :D

I did see that the 4-pin ICS connector is reversed in orientation from the 02 board; I noticed that when I first tried to insert my harness since the plug is keyed.

However, on the bench I checked for voltage across those two pins and there is indeed ~5V there, so hence my crack smokin' career.

Don't know why it wouldn't work at the track, but I'll give it another shot next Mon. Thanks for chiming in all,

ianc