PDA

View Full Version : hobbycar's 96mm VDS AWD for setup 2010

hobbycar
2009.12.28, 07:01 PM
After getting some nice Mini-Z Christmas gifts, I have decided to change my base AWD setup for 2010.

The main new item I got was the Reflex Racing's 96mm Carbon Fiber plates and 3Racing AWD-40 Carbon Fiber Gear Case set (I'm only going to use the rear gear case).

I also got an Atomic VDS 2.5 AWD 94mm body (extended rear wheel-well to 96mm).

Final wheel offsets and tires will be determined once I get some track time with the car (the +4Narrow and +3Wide wheels that come with the body come to close to rubbing on the body for my tastes). Also have to see if I like driving pan/vds bodies after using the McLaren for so long. If not I may look into shifting to a Corvette, 350Z, or Lexus body with the 96mm AWD setup.

Here are some pics of the setup so far (obviously I still have to paint the body :) ).

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1525.JPG
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1538.JPG
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1529.JPG
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1540.JPG
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1534.JPG

-hobbycar

mk2kompressor
2009.12.28, 07:12 PM
looks good,ive got mine setup at 94mm with the same body for HFAY,it handles really well:)

JeremyC
2009.12.28, 08:32 PM
Very nice.. What were you running before making these changes?

hobbycar
2009.12.28, 11:41 PM
Very nice.. What were you running before making these changes?

I was using the same as above except I had a 98mm AWD PN Racing extension kit and the standard Blue/Gray Chassis rear gearbox and a McLaren F1 LM body.

Also I just got the titanium screws, so before this I was just running stock screws.

My last race I ran +2.5 Narrow in the front w/ Atomic A.W. Groove 30 tires, +2 Wide in the rear w/ PN Mini-Z RCP PARADA 6 Rear Tires.

-hobbycar

hobbycar
2009.12.29, 12:39 AM
looks good,ive got mine setup at 94mm with the same body for HFAY,it handles really well:)

mk2kompressor, have you ever driven your awd at 98mm? I'm curious how different the Atomic VDS 2.5 body will be handling-wise at 94 (or 96).

Also a couple other questions: what offsets are you running on this body? And did you attach the side body mounts as designed? The reason I ask is because I had to flip my side body mounts around and glue them as low as possible so that the body would mount higher; otherwise the body would have been way too low (and I like my bodies as low as possible).

-hobbycar

mk2kompressor
2009.12.29, 07:59 AM
i usually only run 98mm enzo:)

the only reason i dropped to 94 was to keep up with my buddy driving an mr-03,i just couldnt rotate as quick as him on tight corners (i can now:D)
i always run 1.5f and 3r offset wheels.
mine sits really low,im sure i glued the side clips the same way they are supposed to be fitted,the rims sit about 1mm in the rear arch

EMU
2009.12.29, 04:27 PM
I tried the VDS 2.5, and never really liked how it felt.

I have tried many different bodies, and different setups... but usually go back to the McLaren F1 LM on my 96mm setup ;) It seems to have the best balance on and off power. For low grip tracks I use the new Subaru STI on the same chassis with no changes at all (McLaren front clip and all).

As for a 94mm setup, I like the F430GT and the F50. I tried the Hasemi 350Z body, and it should be VERY good on a small track, but is too edgy on a large track.

My biggest complaint about the VDS 2.5, is that it is too wide, and hangs up on the boards too easily. With the AWD chassis width being so narrow, there really is no need to use anything more than a 2.5mm offset in the front. I feel that going wider slows the car down more in the corners, and switchbacks.

TheRinger
2009.12.29, 04:37 PM
I have a question, do U have 2 buy the 3racing rear gear case 2 use the 96mm kit on an awd?

EMU
2009.12.29, 05:42 PM
If you buy the full Reflex 96mm kit, then it comes with the full 3Racing front and rear gear cases. Otherwise, it comes with only the lower rear gear case plate, upper rear CF adapter, and spur gears.

The 3Racing gear cases take a little work to get just right, you have to glue in the delrin guides for the knuckles to travel... I use ATM medium grease, and it works well to dampen the suspension...

hobbycar
2009.12.30, 12:17 AM
I tried the VDS 2.5, and never really liked how it felt.

I have tried many different bodies, and different setups... but usually go back to the McLaren F1 LM on my 96mm setup ;) It seems to have the best balance on and off power. For low grip tracks I use the new Subaru STI on the same chassis with no changes at all (McLaren front clip and all).

As for a 94mm setup, I like the F430GT and the F50. I tried the Hasemi 350Z body, and it should be VERY good on a small track, but is too edgy on a large track.

My biggest complaint about the VDS 2.5, is that it is too wide, and hangs up on the boards too easily. With the AWD chassis width being so narrow, there really is no need to use anything more than a 2.5mm offset in the front. I feel that going wider slows the car down more in the corners, and switchbacks.

EMU, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with the VDS 2.5 and 96mm on the AWD. I am so used to running my McLaren F1 LM 98mm AWD in HFAY stock. But since I was switching to 96mm I thought I'd try a shorter 94mm body first and was intrigued by the VDS 2.5; especially since it looks like we are going to be running larger tracks in our Ann Arbor GTGs. I'll have to prep my trusty McLaren for the 96mm setup for comparison between the bodies.

-hobbycar