PDA

View Full Version : Is the Mr02 still competitive?

bmxtrev
2010.01.01, 05:29 PM
Im not sure if i should invest in an Mr03, or continue upgrading my Mr02. With the Mr03 out, i am afraid that the Mr02's "economy" might crash. From what I've read, the mr03 doesnt seem too advantageous over the mr02 at all; most people are meeting or barely passing their mr02 times on the track.

So, should i get the mr03, or is the mr02 just as competitve?

Cherub1m
2010.01.01, 05:58 PM
Im not sure if i should invest in an Mr03, or continue upgrading my Mr02. With the Mr03 out, i am afraid that the Mr02's "economy" might crash. From what I've read, the mr03 doesnt seem too advantageous over the mr02 at all; most people are meeting or barely passing their mr02 times on the track.

My is opinion is the MR02 is just has competitive has the MR03 on the track. Where the MR03 is advantageous is:
1) It's a newer car :)
2) It has smoother throttle and steering
3) You can fit any autoscale body on the 03
4) You can put a Giro on it
5) better CG
6) It's lighter

Most would think that #2, 4, 5, and 6 would translate to a faster car on the track. Well, I have 2 MR03's and at this point I am still a little faster with my MR02 not by much (essentially the same times). In short, if you have an MR02 and don't have the funds to buy an MR03 you will do just as good even if you had an 03. If you have the funds and feel the need to get one then go for it you will still enjoy it, its a great chassis. If you have the funds and don't have either an MR02 or an mr03 then get the MR03 its newer and more versatile has stated by #3, #4.

Hope that helps, again this is my opinion not everyone's.

color01
2010.01.01, 06:42 PM
Some perspective:

The 02 has been around for years, and with PN, Atomic and Reflex pushing the performance envelope, a well-setup 02 is extremely dialed. There's so much data on the 02 that if you just want to put together a competitive car, you just need a small wad of cash, a good setup, and some time to fine-tune the machine.

As of right now, the 03's position in the status quo might be compared to the MRCG's: more radical design, better specs, etc., but we haven't even gotten close to extracting its full potential. Buying an 03 means more tinkering for the owner, a risk of electronics issues as illustrated by a few owners, less established knowledge on what works and what doesn't, and possibly going through a "new part of the week" phase while manufacturers are also trying to figure out how to push the new car's [theoretically larger] performance envelope. It'll definitely require more cash, but if you love to explore the frontier (guilty, yours truly :o) then you might want to consider buying an 03 on top of your current 02. Your 02 will still be perfectly competitive for a while to come. ;)

SaiTam
2010.01.01, 07:18 PM
MR03 has programmable reverse delay.

Electronic problem is the problem of the owner not paying attention when screwing down the motor wires.

The Front ride height is somewhat higher in MR03. I do not like it.

GIRO is more beneficial for beginners only.

MantisMMA
2010.01.01, 07:28 PM
MR03 has programmable reverse delay.

Electronic problem is the problem of the owner not paying attention when screwing down the motor wires.

that is not true at all, it has happened to me and trust me i pay attention! happened to CT too! you really shouldnt say something like that, if that was true why did Kyosho modify the boards for the second batch?

TeamEpsilon
2010.01.01, 09:45 PM
It will always really be competitive until they make more upgrades for it; also it depends how good of a driver you are.

MantisMMA
2010.01.02, 08:04 AM
another thing to keep in mind is that most of us have been able to match the 02 times with only a spring upgrade(some people dont even have that) and everything else stock! no knuckles,tie rods WTF etc etc i dont think anyone has tested AL arms or knuckles as of yet. so i think that the 03 is alrady a better performer just because of that. if you take a stock 02 chassis and a stock 03 chassis the 03 will dominate it. i matched my quick time and havent programmed the board or change the suspension at all and the car was 98mm compared to my full RR spec 96mm 02!

bermbuster
2010.01.02, 08:08 AM

where are you in your racing skills?
Do you feel you can outdrive the chassis?
Where I race in NJ there are about 6 racers who fit this description.
The MR03 has taken there driving up a few notches.
Now me I bought the MR-03 and Im a so so racer. It did not give me much better laptimes but the car is easier to drive.
I believe the mr-02 is still a good chassis.
Like my buddy Philip said the 03 has some kool new features....
adjustable width
optional gyro
lighter weight

My Buddy Sai posted about the electronics. I believe it was a combination of issues. The new board is narrower and the electronics are closer. Special attention to the wiring both on the consumers side (motor leads & damper screws) and manufacturers.... internally when KO soldered things and Kyosho put them together. There is no more free space and everything must be arranged in a smaller compartment.

Now you have to decide where to invest your time and money.
I believe the 02 will be around for a few more years.....

bermbuster
2010.01.02, 08:12 AM
another thing to keep in mind is that most of us have been able to match the 02 times with only a spring upgrade(some people dont even have that) and everything else stock! no knuckles,tie rods WTF etc etc i dont think anyone has tested AL arms or knuckles as of yet. so i think that the 03 is alrady a better performer just because of that. if you take a stock 02 chassis and a stock 03 chassis the 03 will dominate it. i matched my quick time and havent programmed the board or change the suspension at all and the car was 98mm compared to my full RR spec 96mm 02!

Marcus did you ever run a stock 02 chassis?

EMU
2010.01.02, 10:50 AM
I slapped on a rear end setup off an MR02 with 70t to my completely stock front end on my MR03. I made no changes to the front end. One major thing that nobody mentioned here is that the MR03 is CONSIDERABLY lighter than the MR02 or MR015 chassis. This translates to more speed, especially with the slower motors. My MR03 feels much faster coming out of the corners than my MR02. But I feel more comfortable driving the MR02 because I know it better.

MantisMMA
2010.01.02, 11:30 AM
Marcus did you ever run a stock 02 chassis?

Of course i have!!! if you put 2 degree knuckles on its driveable but it cannot match the times of the 03.i am only comparing stock to stock out of the box, with no board changes or anything except for motor pods, DDS and say a pn70

bermbuster
2010.01.02, 12:18 PM
Of course i have!!! if you put 2 degree knuckles on its driveable but it cannot match the times of the 03.i am only comparing stock to stock out of the box, with no board changes or anything except for motor pods, DDS and say a pn70

motor pod dds and 70t is not stock out of the box....
i mean a stock totally stock only a tire change.....
run them both in a 5 minute race then post your results....:D

MantisMMA
2010.01.02, 04:31 PM
thats not stock out of the box but its relative! im not switchin all of that stuff over for a test!! its the same difference though as long as they are both setup the same!

EMU
2010.01.02, 04:43 PM
I dont think that I ever ran a box stock MR02 chassis, but I dont see what relevance that has to the difference between an MR02 and MR03. They both share the same rear end setup, so if you use an existing rear end setup on an MR02 and an MR03, you can easily see the difference between the chassis. It should be the same difference whether it is a stock rear pod, or an upgraded one. Should be a little easier to see the difference with an upgraded rear end, since you are not handicapped by the gear diff and lack of DDS, which would really hinder the comparison, both would be equally poor.

I cant wait to get the Reflex front end parts for my MR03... Then I should be able to lower a little more and retain enough suspension travel. I tried shimming up the knuckles, but I felt that there was not enough suspenion travel, so I went back to stock. I now have the narrow front end on the car, and may try it out tonight if I feel well enough to go to the track (been sick in bed for a few days)...

JeremyC
2010.01.02, 07:24 PM
I was kind of in the same position. I was upgrading from AM to ASF and was deciding whether to go MR-03 or MR-02. Since the MR-03 is widely regarded to be a faster chassis it seems an obvious choice to ditch MR-02 and go to MR-03; or is it?

I think the MR-02 will be with us for some time yet for a few important reasons:

1) The MR-02 is proven to be reliable. Very rarely does an ASF MR-02 die on you. Just tonight at NYRC two MR-03 boards went up in smoke.

2) The MR-02 is a proven performer. Yes, the MR-03 is nimbler, and probably easier to drive. That is nice, but the MR-02 still works darn well.

3) A lot of people are still running the MR-02 instead of their MR-03 chassis. Why is that? See #1 and #2. If other people are still running their MR-02 even when they have an MR-03 I think it is obvious that the MR-02 is still a good chassis to have around.

4) The MR-02 isn't dramatically slower than the MR-03. If the MR-03 was jaw droppingly faster, everyone would toss their MR-02's in a heartbeat. But from what I've seen, they aren't. Yes, they are faster, but not shockingly. For the fastest drivers who can reproduce laps within a couple tenths every lap this will matter, but for the majority of us who are just trying to run clean laps, it isn't a big deal.

That all said, the MR-03 is a faster car. So that means that the MR-03 is the future of competitive Mini-Z; if the reliability issues can be sorted. Some people downplay this, but I really believe that one reason Mini-Z is so popular is because the cars are so reliable. One thing I hear over and over from larger scale drivers is that they like Mini-Z because the cars don't break.

Personally, I'll keep my MR-02 until all the issues with the MR-03 are sorted out.

bermbuster
2010.01.02, 09:23 PM
2) The MR-02 is a proven performer. Yes, the MR-03 is nimbler, and probably easier to drive. That is nice, but the MR-02 still works darn well.

3) A lot of people are still running the MR-02 instead of their MR-03 chassis. Why is that? See #1 and #2. If other people are still running their MR-02 even when they have an MR-03 I think it is obvious that the MR-02 is still a good chassis to have around.

4) The MR-02 isn't dramatically slower than the MR-03. If the MR-03 was jaw droppingly faster, everyone would toss their MR-02's in a heartbeat. But from what I've seen, they aren't. Yes, they are faster, but not shockingly. For the fastest drivers who can reproduce laps within a couple tenths every lap this will matter, but for the majority of us who are just trying to run clean laps, it isn't a big deal.

Good points Jeremy.....You hit the nail on the head....

bermbuster
2010.01.02, 09:40 PM
thats not stock out of the box but its relative! im not switchin all of that stuff over for a test!! its the same difference though as long as they are both setup the same!

Its no difference I was just establishing the point that you never drove a "totally box stock" mini z.
I wouldnt abandon the MR-02 it has been a good platform for a long time.
I believe really good drivers who can benefit from a nimble chassis that transitions quickly and has fast precise steering will want the mr-03. Right now the stock MR-03 front doesnt high speed crash well. For a new driver maybe the MR-02 isnt a bad choice..... drivers moving up can sell there MR-02s for the MR-03s and new drivers can get into the hobby at a reduced cost......thats a win win situation for everybody....

MantisMMA
2010.01.02, 09:49 PM
why do you think that i have never driven a box stock car?? i have on numerous occasions. i have rental cars at my track and they are all box stock, my son has a box stock one too!! high speed crash issues??? what is that all about, i have been racing my 03's for about a 6 weeks now and have not witness any of that. just yesterday a buddy and me were playin around with my wide L in my house and we wrecked ALOT!! and no damage as of yet. what is it that is breaking on them?

ruf
2010.01.03, 12:22 AM
marcus why are you yelling so much???!!! hehehe!

EMU
2010.01.03, 02:23 AM
My knuckle came loose from my tie rod today during practice on my MR03 (narrow GT-R)... Same with another racer. Im thinking about using an alloy tie-rod to avoid that happening in the future. If it happens mid race, your pretty much out, since it isnt as easy to fix as on the MR02. Almost as much of a pain as it is with the F1 to get the knuckle back into the tie rod.

The MR03 is seriously fast in the narrow configuration (compared to MR02 with narrow front end or MR015). My MR03 with 70t is about .2s slower than my MR02 with ATM Race USA motor. Both 94mm config. (Porsche GT1 on MR02 and GT-R on MR03). I have driven a lot of narrow cars, and the limit in the corner was considerably higher than I anticipated going into the corner. I would think that I was going in way too hot, and it felt like the car could have gone in faster...

I feel that the MR03 has too much front end bounce. I dont want to dampen the front end too much and cause binding with the plastic A-arm, but I am going to try something next week. With the Reflex kingpin, I should be able to use thicker grease without having to worry about the flex from the top A-arm. Maybe I am over-analyzing it. . .

Felix2010
2010.01.03, 02:51 AM
EMU - Don't forget, Over-analyzing is what makes Mini-Z and RC so much fun.hehe :D (Even if it drives us crazy once in a while):D

I am still a believer in the MR02!!! I like the 03 a lot, but the 02 is still one helluva car.

MantisMMA
2010.01.03, 06:54 AM
i dont really know why but i think that the flex in the arm was engineered that way. i wonder what will happen when the AL arms come out? EMU, the bounce your seeing is caused by what? the flex in the arm or do you think the suspension is binding?

RUF- not yelling, you know i always come across that way for some reason, no worries! hows trix?!?!LOL........international PIMP!!

MantisMMA
2010.01.03, 06:57 AM
never heard of the knuckle coming out so im sure it will happen this weekend!!

Traveler
2010.01.03, 07:23 AM
never heard of the knuckle coming out so im sure it will happen this weekend!!

Not sure if EMU is using the new longer PN king pins, but its more likely to happen with those because the knuckle has considerably more travel. I've had it happen once with the PN KPs.

Traveler
2010.01.03, 07:27 AM
Porsche GT1 on MR02

EMU, I (and others) are very interested in how the new 911 GT1 body handles. Would love to hear about your setup for that body and your thought on how it handles. Could you start a new thread with pictures and commentary?

Cherub1m
2010.01.03, 10:36 AM
I've driven a bone stock MR02 LM and a bone stock MR03 LM (we are talking just like it was out of the box bushing and all plastic parts) with bone stock Kysoho motor and tried them both with Atomic USA motor. I was essentially just has fast with both. Funny thing, I was a little more consistent with with MR02. The funny thing is, I did notice the 03 had smoother throttle and steering response and it felt a little more nibble and maybe a little faster of the line and came in harder in the turn but none of that translated to faster times for me. I did notice the 03 come with virtual inertia off and the 02 comes with virtual inertia set to 3 (and some other little differences in the ics setting but not worth mentioning). In short virtual inertia off will creat more drag breaks and allow the driver to come into a turn later and harder without using the breaks. Given that difference I changed my 02's virtual inertia from 3 to off and notice much improved turn in almost has good has the 03 but with still a little favor toward the 03. In short, my lap time where the same with more consistancy with the 02.

cowboysir
2010.01.03, 11:32 AM
Anybody else thinking about different catagories for cars once the performance standards are increased? From what i've read, the MR03 can feasibly become a much faster car which in my mind means something like Japanese tourings GT500 versus GT350...different classes based on different car configurations.;)

Once the board issues become a little less I plan on trying my luck with an MR03...i dont think my driving will become much faster (since I suck) but it'll be neat to start fooling with a newer platform.

Old Crow
2010.01.03, 12:35 PM
Keep in mind, when the new narrower MR-02 Chassis comes out, it will narrow the gap more. Of course you'll have to upgrade your electronics, but the front end will have the same setup.

Traveler
2010.01.03, 12:47 PM
when the new narrower MR-02 Chassis comes out... but the front end will have the same setup.

Huh? Tell us more!

Davey G
2010.01.03, 12:51 PM

Hi BMX: I guess this depends on your situation. Do u like your Mr02? As a PN team driver I know that PN is still going to support the MR02. FOr example and very radical conversion should be available in the next few weeks for the Mr02. At our track (Majs Hobby Shop) there are a few guys that are selling there MR03's and trying to acquire MR02's again. But...some of the guys that were in the middle of the pack with there MR02's are now top dawgs. Tough to say. I am still using an MR02 and have no desire to jump on the MR03 bandwagon just yet.

Old Crow
2010.01.03, 01:08 PM
Huh? Tell us more!

I made mention of this when the prototype picture was released from the Tokyo hobby show, but no one seemed to care. It's not the best example, as it is a prototype, but it is coming. It's basicly the MR-03 battery layout, with the MR-02 front end, it is being billed as a MR-02 though.

MantisMMA
2010.01.03, 01:09 PM
i sold one of my 02's and acquired two 03's my main reason is that we all know that eventually the 03 will be dominant (in numbers) and since i am manufacturing parts for the miniz it makes sense for me to try and keep ahead of the curve!! i see no reason to split classes, its like the 015 to the 02 yes the 02 is clearly better but there are some people that can make the 015 work. i don think that the 03 is going to dominate(performance) the 02 ever but i think that it will allow an average driver to drive better and more consitant.

yasuji
2010.01.03, 01:22 PM
this past friday saw a great battle between two 10th scale racers (james and dereck) james driving an MR-02 pn full set up with the std frontend(kingpins) and dereck driving an MR-03 full set up with all pn parts avail
bothth of these drivers are amazing to watch
70 t pn racing pan cars and KT-18 RADIOS.....each took a win in 2 races and lap times wewr equivalent
it is not a question if it is competitive or not....its all about suiting ur driving style!:D

LED
2010.01.03, 01:42 PM
I refuse to believe that the MR03 will make that big of a difference.
Rear end, no discussion, its the same.
Front end, well is the front end of the 03 realy alot better then the PN a Arm of RR WTF setup ? Only thin that to me can make a difference is the COG due to tha change in the chassis.

Offcourse people are matching times with a stock MR03 to an upgraded MR02 because the front end has improved alot. A lot people were saying "wow its faster and its not even pimped yet". But most tester swapped the rear end for what the were used. So basicly it was pimped and the front end could be compared to the PN.

Like so many said. It will be easier to drive out of the box and will make a difference to someone starting with the hobby.

This is all from what I read, I havent driven a MR03 yet.

Cherub1m
2010.01.03, 01:44 PM
I made mention of this when the prototype picture was released from the Tokyo hobby show, but no one seemed to care. It's not the best example, as it is a prototype, but it is coming. It's basicly the MR-03 battery layout, with the MR-02 front end, it is being billed as a MR-02 though.

Ah nice. Your right Old Crow I overlooked that. I wonder if they are going to incorporate the 03 PCB or will it use the existing 02 board or will it be versatile and be able to fit either 03 or 02 PCB. Thanks for bringing it back up Old Crow.

i sold one of my 02's and acquired two 03's my main reason is that we all know that eventually the 03 will be dominant (in numbers) and since i am manufacturing parts for the miniz it makes sense for me to try and keep ahead of the curve!! i see no reason to split classes, its like the 015 to the 02 yes the 02 is clearly better but there are some people that can make the 015 work. i don think that the 03 is going to dominate(performance) the 02 ever but i think that it will allow an average driver to drive better and more consitant.

Amen!!! Brothers and Sisters :D

this past friday saw a great battle between two 10th scale racers (james and dereck) james driving an MR-02 pn full set up with the std frontend(kingpins) and dereck driving an MR-03 full set up with all pn parts avail
bothth of these drivers are amazing to watch
70 t pn racing pan cars and KT-18 RADIOS.....each took a win in 2 races and lap times wewr equivalent
it is not a question if it is competitive or not....its all about suiting ur driving style!:D

Amen!!! Brothers and Sisters :D

chad508
2010.01.03, 01:53 PM
from my pov when i got my mr03 back in november, i took it out the box put on a body from another chassis and its wheels and tires. i was running just as clean and just as fast as my other mr02s with options. i was running the stock pod and motor also, others even made the comment of just how quick the kyosho motor was out the box. since then i have added a rear pod and played with the springs, unfortunitly i have not been able to get the car to handle at all. i've been battling with the front end binding and have polished the pins for hours with no luck. i hoping with the new pn and rr parts soon to come out it will eliminate the problems im having. so to conclude i feel out the box the car can be ran by anyone and not need to add hop ups, unlike the mr02 from my experience.

dvsstrike
2010.01.03, 02:07 PM
i had the knuckles pop out of my mr03 and have done many things to the front end as humanly possible. my experience is this. the front is too light causing this horrible bounce. i have ran -1 to +2 offsets in trying to get some turn in. i have modified the stock springs i have modified the front end to accept mr02 springs. till atomic or Reflex comes out with their front end parts i do not see the 03 smahing the 02. just like pan cars have you ever seen a narrow pan car? i haven't and i been running since i was 10.Don't get me wrong the 03 is a great car but the 02 has seen many evolutions in parts and upgrades making it a great car.pimped or not. the car is great for beginners to drive and you can use any body. thats the great part of it

lfisminiz
2010.01.03, 02:11 PM
Well this weekend, we had our big track HFAY. I was torn running my 02 or my 03. They both felt real good. The 03 has a fair amount of hop-ups that are available. I decided on the 02 for 1 reason.........the PN A-arm front! Its just so smooth. So i guess im thinking...03 with PN a-arm front.;):)

ruf
2010.01.03, 10:49 PM
RUF- not yelling, you know i always come across that way for some reason, no worries! hows trix?!?!LOL........international PIMP!!Dude traveling way too much lately. Need to get back in the swing of things but won't happen for another couple of months...:mad:

JeremyC
2010.01.03, 11:32 PM
i had the knuckles pop out of my mr03

We need more reliable knuckles for the MR-03, STAT. I think 3 guys broke MR-03 knuckles at the track tonight; so many that there weren't any replacements to be had.

"I broke a right knuckle!"

"thats OK, we have one more of those"

10 min later

"oh #%#, I broke a left knuckle!!"

Half
2010.01.05, 07:12 PM
We need more reliable knuckles for the MR-03, STAT. I think 3 guys broke MR-03 knuckles at the track tonight; so many that there weren't any replacements to be had.

10 min later

That does sound very strange!
I've been running my 03 for over a month, so far so good, no parts have broken. (rear end totally hoped-up + front springs).

Traveler
2010.01.05, 07:25 PM

10 min later

PN released his alloy knuckles yesterday. Mine are on the way :)

Traveler
2010.01.05, 07:26 PM

Very interesting. I missed it the first time.

Traveler
2010.01.05, 07:27 PM
EMU, I (and others) are very interested in how the new 911 GT1 body handles. Would love to hear about your setup for that body and your thought on how it handles. Could you start a new thread with pictures and commentary?

Paging Dr. EMU :)

JeremyC
2010.01.05, 07:58 PM

http://bytesizebio.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/funny-pictures-relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

EMU
2010.01.05, 08:27 PM
I put the GT1 on my MR03 that previously had an Aston Martin body... I dremeled the GT1 to accomodate the 98mm wheelbase. And the car felt like it had much more rotation than the DBR9 through the mid corner and the exit. It drove into the corners well, but I felt that the wheelbase was too long... Motor was 70t, and the car felt very fast.

The next week, I converted my MR03 to a narrow and used my GT-R body on it for the narrow class that we run. I used the GT1 on my MR02 that was setup for f430gt. I had worn tires all around, but the car felt much more balanced than it did with the 430gt body. It was a little less aggressive at turn in. I installed an ATM USA motor and put new k20 slicks on the rear... The slicks werent quite enough grip for the track that I ran at, but the car was still very controllable, and easy to find the limit.

I finished 2nd in that race... I will get some pics with my camera phone when I get home. They will be poor, but thats the only camera that I have.

The most important thing about the body for me, is that it looks great, and I enjoy driving it because it looks so good. I would say it handles on par with the 430gt at 94mm, although... I want to try 96mm.

It will not work with AWD without modification. The cab rear design interferes with the PCB cover and battery compartment. I will test fit it on an MR015 and see if it will fit there.

In general, cab rear cars have less turn in and are more stable, while cab forward bodies have much more turn in and drive more aggressively. Aerodynamics and weight distribution play an important role there...

Traveler
2010.01.05, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback EMU. Would love to see pics from the side. Wouldn't have imagined being able to dremel a 90mm body to fit a 98mm chassis. Was wondering if it could go to 94 or 96mm. Guess you've answered that! What kind of mount were you using at 94 and 98? Looking at pictures of the GT1 I was wondering if there was enough room back there.

I agree it is one good looking body, so I broke down and ordered one for my collection yesterday. It should be here tomorrow, but it will remain sealed. Wishing I had bought this one that Pinoyboy was selling to run.

Thanks again!

lfisminiz
2010.01.05, 09:08 PM
Eugene, since you used it in 98MM, whats your thoughts on running it in 94MM. Obviously it would fit with no problem on 02 or03 chassis. Might even look good even with dremeled wheel wells.;) When i saw the Porcshe....my first thoughts were 94MM.

EMU
2010.01.05, 11:09 PM
Traveler, this was Pinoyboys ;) I PM'd him a couple minutes after he posted it up...

I preferred the feel of the GT1 on the MR02 than the MR03. The MR02 just felt a lot smoother than the MR03 entering and exiting the corners. The body has a very cab rear design, which you can see in the third pic. The MR03 was not bad, but I felt that I carried more speed through the sweepers, although the MR03 probably made up the time on the transitions and tight corners.

Instead of cluttering up this thread with the GT1 pics and info, I started a new thread here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=371769#post371769). (trying to stay on topic in this thread)

mr7q
2010.01.06, 03:35 AM

With any hope, that product will see the light of day. I'd refit my 02s in a heartbeat, assuming the chassis was available separately (and was a direct substitution for the old one).

LED
2010.01.06, 03:42 AM
With any hope, that product will see the light of day. I'd refit my 02s in a heartbeat, assuming the chassis was available separately (and was a direct substitution for the old one).

I was thinking the same but he said in an earlier post thet you also need to replace the electronics with the MR03.
Whats the point in doing it then. Better off getting the MR03 I suppose.

EMU
2010.01.06, 04:11 AM
I missed the pic the first time around... The narrow battery compartment MR02 looks pretty interesting. What is great about it, is that you would get the t-plate mount (less lateral slop at chassis contact) and steering response of the MR03, with the ability to use the currently available front ends for the MR02. I may like this more than the MR03...

TeamEpsilon
2010.01.06, 03:23 PM
If the chassis is smaller (in the battery area) wouldn't that make the traction roll chance higher because there is less mass near the ground?

EMU
2010.01.06, 04:16 PM
The mass would be more centrally located, which means that the car will rotate faster. Also, the mass being more centrally located will reduce the risk of traction rolling. The height of the chassis will remain the same, it would just use the smaller servo motor/MR03 t-plate and move the battery compartment inward.

bmxtrev
2010.01.06, 09:33 PM
wow, this thread took off! this discussion is great :) from what i've read, i think im gonna stick with the mr02 for now. I want to give the mr03 time to get refined (board problems etc), and also wait for more parts to come out, so a truly pimped mr03 can be compared to my already pimped 02 :) it is hard to tell right now if the mr03 will stay where its at in terms of lap times, or if it will own the 02 once more parts come out.

TeamEpsilon
2010.01.11, 03:02 PM
My friend has the MR-02 with the MR-03 board and it works very well on the track and can keep up with the 03's, so that might be the thing to do if you do not have enough cash to buy the full MR-03

mugler
2010.01.11, 03:52 PM

Someone who knows a lot about z's pointed out to me that this may be a Lithium powered chassis. If so i hope they go with LiFe as the voltage is more comparable to 4 fully charged nimhs vs lipo or even li-ion which peak much higher and will make the cars underivable plus the fact that Life can be charged much quicker and i believe with no over-discharge handicaps.

In any case if it is lithium powered that's way coo...now can't wait for the brushless board and motor.

JeremyC
2010.01.11, 04:37 PM
Someone who knows a lot about z's pointed out to me that this may be a Lithium powered chassis. If so i hope they go with LiFe as the voltage is more comparable to 4 fully charged nimhs vs lipo or even li-ion which peak much higher and will make the cars underivable plus the fact that Life can be charged much quicker and i believe with no over-discharge handicaps.

In any case if it is lithium powered that's way coo...now can't wait for the brushless board and motor.

I certainly hope it isn't lithium based. Almost any respectable Mini-Z race requires NiMH batteries; so if that were the case it would be useless to us.

JeremyC
2010.01.11, 04:42 PM
My friend has the MR-02 with the MR-03 board and it works very well on the track and can keep up with the 03's, so that might be the thing to do if you do not have enough cash to buy the full MR-03

The upgraded board might make a tiny difference for the MR-02, but the benefit of the MR-03 is more that it has the batteries closer together, that the camber increases as you depress the front suspension, and that the front servo is much upgraded. The board itself is only a minor upgrade.

Regarding the MR-02 being able to keep up with the MR-03; of course it can. The MR-03 isn't that much faster than the MR-02; maybe 0.1s a lap on a big track, and that is in the hands of a good driver. Heck, I was driving an MR-02 on Saturday night, and I beat at least three MR-03 cars in the B-Main. And Bennet Lo was blazing fast in his MR-02 on Sat.

To be honest I'm more interested in putting the MR-02 ASF board into an MR-03 chassis. If you could make the servo motor and board fit I think you'd have a solid car.

machgo5go
2010.01.24, 12:17 PM
Newbie here that have not race R/C since 20 yrs. ago (1/10 scale).
Within one week from a Xmas gift certificate at a local hobby shop, I decide to just buy a MR-02mm ready set just to play.
To make a long story short, six days later I spend double of the ready set price since got hooked to race again. I know you all may say I am stupid not to get MR03 if I knew I was going into this direction. Anyway, learn how to drive smoothly is the biggest task so I think for now, I will keep building up the MR-02 since it is my learning curve all over again in R/C.

JeremyC
2010.01.24, 02:12 PM
Newbie here that have not race R/C since 20 yrs. ago (1/10 scale).
Within one week from a Xmas gift certificate at a local hobby shop, I decide to just buy a MR-02mm ready set just to play.
To make a long story short, six days later I spend double of the ready set price since got hooked to race again. I know you all may say I am stupid not to get MR03 if I knew I was going into this direction. Anyway, learn how to drive smoothly is the biggest task so I think for now, I will keep building up the MR-02 since it is my learning curve all over again in R/C.

Welcome to the hobby.. Z's are a *lot* of fun, and hard to drive fast. So it is worth doing. :)

Not too many people would say that investing in an MR-02 is 'stupid'. The MR-03 is better out of the box, but the MR-02 still has it :)

EMU
2010.01.24, 02:22 PM
I agree. I will not say that the MR03 is better than the MR02.

The winner of yesterdays race at the local track used an MR03. I was working on a new build (Sauber C9 on an EMU tower equipped MR015 chassis). I finished 2 seconds behind him on the clock, but my fast lap was .6s faster. I still have some work to do on the car, but I would even say that the MR015 is still competetive, depending on track conditions and power...

Tjay
2010.01.25, 12:48 PM
After racing the Nats, I don't think one is better than the other. It is really more of personals preference. MR02 w/ PN A-arm is the fastest set up (I think we all know this already) maybe not the most consistent but it is probably about .10 sec faster than any other MR02/MR03 setup. MR03 is just smooth around the corners... Lap every lap.

lfisminiz
2010.01.25, 06:10 PM
Like TJ said....i like both for different races. 02/A-arm, agreed. Now, i want the A-arm for the 03;):D.

machgo5go
2010.01.28, 09:33 PM
Like TJ said....i like both for different races. 02/A-arm, agreed. Now, i want the A-arm for the 03;):D.
http://www.pnracing.us/new/product_image/395_4.jpg
Are we talking about this $78.88 Double A-Arm Front Suspension?

lfisminiz
2010.01.28, 09:37 PM
YES.........i love it.;)

machgo5go
2010.01.28, 09:58 PM
YES.........i love it.;)
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZMotulAutechGT-R2008PN-1.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZMotulAutechGT-R2008PN-2.jpg
Damm, I just spend $200+ in one week so now asking for more!;)

lfisminiz
2010.01.29, 04:34 AM
Its called a "Z" addiction.:D Doesnt mean you need to get the A-arm yet.....;) When ever your ready.

JeremyC
2010.01.29, 04:59 PM
Its called a "Z" addiction.:D Doesnt mean you need to get the A-arm yet.....;) When ever your ready.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the A-arm until you feel like you are pushing your MR-02 to the point that you can't go faster. Throwing money at the problem will only help you drive better if the hardware is the problem.

If you've only been driving competitive RC for a few months, forget about it. Just get what you've got running well and drive.

IMHO you'll get a much better improvement by going to ASF than going a-arm.

Tjay
2010.01.29, 05:47 PM
Damm, I just spend $200+ in one week so now asking for more!;)

At this point, I dont think you need to invest into $80 front end (is that an antenna? ;) ), but instead use it for tires. Spend as much time as you can driving and learning the car from what you already have and if you feel the need of spending $. Invest into a used ASF board and a better transmitter if you dont already have one.

Here's a pretty good MR02 set up (http://fastpaceracing.com/content/mr02-basic-set). You can fine tune it as you go on to fit your driving style.

Good Luck and have fun!

machgo5go
2010.01.29, 11:18 PM
At this point, I don't think you need to invest into $80 front end (is that an antenna? ;) ), but instead use it for tires. Spend as much time as you can driving and learning the car from what you already have and if you feel the need of spending $. Invest into a used ASF board and a better transmitter if you don't already have one.

Here's a pretty good MR02 set up (http://fastpaceracing.com/content/mr02-basic-set). You can fine tune it as you go on to fit your driving style.

Good Luck and have fun!
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZMotulAutechGT-R2008PN-3.jpg
Thanks for all the advice and keeping up with practicing driving skills is most important. I am going to do an upgrade of 2.4GHZ Conversion Kit w/ KT-18 once my friend brings it back from Japan soon. For now, I just added additional Alu. Front Tower & Lower Bar & Toe in Tie Rod since got a good used deal from a kid at my local hobby shop. Will see how it feels in tomorrow track events.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZGulfMclarenF1GTR005Large.jpg
Back from the track and unfortunately had to retire my beloved 2 weeks old Nissan 08 GTR Body after 2nd. qualifying heat due to front nose main chassis locking plate holder broke, so sad!
Had to do decide on a quick replacement body for Main so Maj's Hobby shop recommended this Mclaren Gulf GTR. I had to use the more narrow off set wheels and you know what, came in 2nd on B-Main with lower lap time after 2 weeks of driving which was big improvement from 3rd place in last week B-Main. So far I am satisfy still with junk oem AM radio so looking forward for more improvements.

Jace1283
2010.02.09, 04:04 PM
i was faster with my mr-03 the first race i used it, i switched my 02 stuff to it and got carbon plates and front spring set, shaved about .3 sec off lap times from 02. another guy i race with his 02 and 03 are about even, both cars are faster than mine. like people have been saying i think its easier to get the 03 running faster easier. i think the tighter the track the more of an advantage the 03 has, especially quick zig zags. i find the 03 much more sensitive to front end adjustments.

I thought id sell my 02 but ive decided that its still competitive and am going to rebuild it as a 94mm car, i run the 03 as 98mm

dvsstrike
2010.02.09, 06:08 PM
a well set up 02 is still a hard car to beat. my 02 and 03 are equal in time and speed. but both cars have their own traits. the 02 can take high speed corners faster and has better turn in. the 03 has better mid and exit but lack high speed turn in that i desire. the 03 transitions better in switch backs. the 02 not so much. the 03 is sensitive to pre load as the 02 not so much. aas for set up the 03 by far is super easy to dial in. add a plate and green springs a dds of sort and walla. instant go fast. but the best part of the 03 its easy on front tires.