PDA

View Full Version : Competition hand-wound motors allowed - PNWC/ Tekin 1/28th ?

Felix2010
2010.01.03, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been into tuning these Mini-Z motors for years. One thing I've seen is some competitions change their motor rules for "Modified" or "Open" class - Now you can modify your motor providing you stick to the rules. In the case with the PNWC, if I understand correctly, in Mod/Open as long as you use only PN-OEM materials you can re-wind the armature and cut/polish the commutator and dry bearings and tune/break-in brushes to your liking. The big thing is the motor's armature winding. Being able to re-wind the armature using a pattern-wind type of winding I think would be a great tool for drivers, especially the elite pilots where every last tenth/second counts.

For other events the motor materials may not be as strict, and you could possibly use a completely hand-made motor.:D

Anyone tried doing this with their motors where it is legal? I am trying to get a feel for how popular/useful this would be.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts everyone:D

blt456
2010.01.03, 04:25 AM
Funny you say that I plan to handwind a 30t for a local expert for pan mod at the Tekin Nationals.. idk if the PN neo mags+can and 4.0 armature will get in in time though :eek: I plan to run handwound for PN regional 2010 if I can

Felix2010
2010.01.03, 05:38 AM
blt456,

I saw you post the question on the PNWC 2009 rules thread, "What motor wire is legal for the PNWC?". I am very eager to find out if aftermarket enamel motor wire is legal to use for handwinding motors for Open/Mod PNWC classes, as long as the remaining parts, including: motor can, magnets, brushes, comm+armature are genuine PN products. I'd also like to know if ceramic bearings are legal to use, I'd imagine they are not since they would not be PN-brand motor can bearings, but if they are then that would be extra cool.

The newest PN 33t and 35t motors are really nice, I love the 33t PNWC official motor personally. For experts though, a 30t sounds like it would be optimum for a Pan Car or flowing layout. Also, I have experimented for years with different armature lengths and types, and I am a big fan of Long Arms and Spiral Arms.

Thanks for the post!:D

blt456
2010.01.13, 01:08 AM
Hey Felix,
Well I got word from Philip that handwound is a no-go for the PNWC :(

Felix2010
2010.01.20, 05:05 PM
Hey Felix,
Well I got word from Philip that handwound is a no-go for the PNWC :(

That's a bummer for sure. I understand though. PN runs a great PNWC series and championship, and they have been a long-time motor maker in the Mini-Z scene. It's not like we are limited too much in motor choice in the Open classes. Custom motors are one of those things that us Outlaws like myself like to run.:D