PDA

View Full Version : If you CA glue wheels, is tape necessary?

JeremyC
2010.01.04, 12:44 PM
I've been CA gluing my tires for some time now, but I have continued to use tire tape as well. I essentially follow the Reflex Racing tire taping guide (http://www.reflexracing.net/tire_mounting.asp).

Notice that CT says to have the tape narrower than the wheel; so that the CA glue can bind directly to the wheel. I agree with this, as I found that the glue wouldn't stick reliably to the tape. I also glue the inside of the wheel, and don't try to reuse my wheels anymore.

Note that TJ's FPR method (http://www.fastpaceracing.com/content/glueing-front-tire-sidewalls) is quite a bit different, and is talking only about gluing the sidewall to reduce bite. I think this way works by stiffening the sidewall and preventing it from folding over and causing traction roll.

About reusing wheels; I've found that if you just glue the outside you can easily reuse the wheels by using a hobby knife to scrape the rubber/CA glue off. However, once you put the inside glue on, that wheel is locked to the fate of the tire. :) I've found that the Kyosho slicks last so long that this isn't a problem.

So anyway, what good does the tire tape do if I'm gluing the heck out of it anyway?

hrdrvr
2010.01.04, 01:53 PM
If you are glueing the flat part of the tire (not just the edges), and throwing the wheels out afterwards, then there is no reason to use tape.

The main reason I use tape is to make sure there isnt any flex to the center line of the tire. If the center of the tire flexes (pretty common with soft tires and high grip tracks, especially treads with good side bite) then you can get a little squirm coming out of the corners. I first noticed this with the v1 SSGs, as they generate tremendous side bite, even with the entire side wall glued. I never run them without taping the middle down.

The second reason I use tape is to keep as much glue as possible off of the wheel. I use two layers of the PN tire tape (old stuff, I think they have a diferent type now), and dont have a problem with the glue, tire, and wheel not having a good bond. This makes clean-up and re-use of the wheel much easier. Of course, if you glue the inside, the tape doesnt help, and like youve found out, there isnt much you can do to salvage a wheel after glueing the inside. I try and minimize the amount of glue (and try to avoid using it all together when possible) on the inside of the wheels because of this.

Im not familiar with TJ or CTs tutorials, as I feel confident that what Im doing is pretty darn solid. Both of those guys have won and lost a lot more prominant races than Ive ever competed in though (even though Ive been racing these cars for quite a while), so take my opinion for what its worth :D

blt456
2010.01.04, 01:58 PM
I don't glue the inside of my tires (always ATM 8* radials or RR SSG). I use wide tire tape from PN to get my tire near perfect, flick it around on the sidewalls front and back to even them out, and just glue the outside sidewall with a thin layer of CA. I use PN delrin rims and you can take the tire off without having to really scrape any excess rubber off. There might be excess glue on the rim but you can easily take that off with a knife..

Tjay
2010.01.04, 02:33 PM
I've been CA gluing my tires for some time now, but I have continued to use tire tape as well. I essentially follow the Reflex Racing tire taping guide (http://www.reflexracing.net/tire_mounting.asp).

Notice that CT says to have the tape narrower than the wheel; so that the CA glue can bind directly to the wheel. I agree with this, as I found that the glue wouldn't stick reliably to the tape. I also glue the inside of the wheel, and don't try to reuse my wheels anymore.

Note that TJ's FPR method (http://www.fastpaceracing.com/content/glueing-front-tire-sidewalls) is quite a bit different, and I didn't have luck with it. Obviously it works for TJ, so maybe it is a combination of my CA glue and tire tape not sticking well.

About reusing wheels; I've found that if you just glue the outside you can easily reuse the wheels by using a hobby knife to scrape the rubber/CA glue off. However, once you put the inside glue on, that wheel is locked to the fate of the tire. :) I've found that the Kyosho slicks last so long that this isn't a problem.

So anyway, what good does the tire tape do if I'm gluing the heck out of it anyway?

I think you got this all confused. Read the first part of my post on the site... it's glueing the sidewalls not the tire to the rim.

JuniorWKR
2010.01.04, 02:45 PM
i do the same thing... especially on my F1... just glueing the side walls will keep the outside of the tire from ballooning....

JeremyC
2010.01.04, 02:46 PM
I think you got this all confused. Read the first part of my post on the site... it's glueing the sidewalls not the tire to the rim.

You are correct sir. I edited my initial post to reflect that. I've never tried only gluing the sidewall; does it work for rear tires as well as fronts?

JeremyC
2010.01.04, 02:49 PM
i do the same thing... especially on my F1... just glueing the side walls will keep the outside of the tire from ballooning....

Junior,

Do you lift the rubber to get the glue under, or do you just put it on the sidewall?

Skv012a
2010.01.04, 02:53 PM
As Hrd said, I found that tape has no problem staying on the rim, but tires seem to need something much more sticky to stay on well. That said, gluing tires to the tape is fine and should do exactly what needs to be done without major "damage" to the rim itself.

Tjay
2010.01.04, 03:00 PM
You are correct sir. I edited my initial post to reflect that. I've never tried only gluing the sidewall; does it work for rear tires as well as fronts?

No. Doing this will have the rear end of the car to step out while cornering.

FYI... I don't use tire tape from Atomic, PN or the expensive Kyosho tape. I use $1.50 tire tape that is made in Japan. You can buy this at a dollar store called, DAISO. It is very sticky, well not as sticky as kyosho but enough for the tires to not fold. Trust me you'll love this tape and only for $1.50!

JuniorWKR
2010.01.04, 03:15 PM
i do it on my rear tires also and does not cause me to slide out... i put a vry small bead at ther inner most point of the tire and just let it run on to the rim... this makes for good adhesion and make for reuse of the rim...

to be honest tire tape alone works fine for me also... most people have problems with the tire tape because they dont prep the rim or the tire... i sand and my rims to make for a rouch surface which allows the tape to adhere better to the rim... i also flip my tires inside out... clean the oil off of them with motor spray and sand them too... once i havve the tire on the rim and to my likings as far as balancing goes i will spin them very slowly and heat them up with a lighter... this will make for very good adhesion for both the tire and the rim... just dont melt the tire or the rim... if you melt the tire it will blister and will not perform correctly... you just wanna get it hot enoungh to wake the glue up... if you do this i feel you can stop worring about gluing the rear tires....

as far as the front tires i do the same thing... no need for the lighter on the front for me because i always true my tires... that heats them up enough... to be honest without glue and doing this i cant remember the last time a tire fell off before it got to thin...

on my F1 i glue the rear side walls from inner most part to about half way out... i run the kyosho 20 rears and they have a tendacy to balloon... this keeps them from flexing...