2010.01.06, 12:36 PM
My current diff setup:

PN Ultra Light Weight Aluminum shaft 1.29 grams
QteQ Ultra Light Weight differential housing w/ left hub and wheel nut
Reflex Racing Light Weight 8mm Diff Rings low weight
Reflex Racing 64 Pitch Machined Delrin 2WD Spur - 51T
Reflex Racing 3/32 Ceramic Diff Balls
PN thrust bearings

My problem is after sanding down plates and diff housing (recommended by the forums/sites on diff tuning) 2 odd problems exist.

1- The spur gear wobbles but straightens out when applying power to motor.
2- Visibly during certain points of diff rotation 1 differential ball doesn't seem to touch the diff ring.

As I mentioned I've sanded down the plates (diff rings have the rounded edge side pointed outward towards the wheels). I am led to believe it isn't completely flat as I can see 1 ball not touching. It's worth mentioning that the grooves made from the ceramic balls after a race have made a complete circle that seems consistent throughout. No pitting is evident. All parts were bought new and diff action seems relatively smooth.

I am stumped as I LOVE this low weight setup. Am I doing something wrong here or did I get defective parts?

I am thinking of going to a heavier setup if this problem isn't resolved.

Kyosho diff rings or PN Ultra polish
PN Limited Slip 64 pitch spur

Hekyl
2010.01.06, 01:03 PM
Sorry. Wrong thread. I thought I posted this in setups.

Traveler
2010.01.06, 01:06 PM
There is no need to sand down the QteQ diff hub with the RR spur. Have you added any spacers to the shaft between the spur and right diff hub to make up for the void?

Will post a link to a thread dealing with this issue next.

Traveler
2010.01.06, 01:09 PM
Read this thread, starting with post #91 by CT http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32239&page=7

Hekyl
2010.01.06, 02:20 PM
Great info. Seems like I need spacers but it doesn't seem to address the diff ball not touching the diff plate?

Traveler
2010.01.06, 02:25 PM
Not sure about that issue. Maybe CT or someone else can chime in. Or you could call CT at RR. He's pretty good about taking calls and helping.

I love the QteQ/RR combo. I have 2 of them and another on order. They take a little time to set up, but then WOW!

JeremyC
2010.01.06, 02:26 PM
Great info. Seems like I need spacers but it doesn't seem to address the diff ball not touching the diff plate?

I would check that the rings are sitting on the diff housings correctly. When you spin the diff do the metal rings wobbile in/out?

Hekyl
2010.01.06, 02:41 PM
Yes. Funny you should say. The diffs plates do wobble... I'm thinking it's defective.

JeremyC
2010.01.06, 02:51 PM
Yes. Funny you should say. The diffs plates do wobble... I'm thinking it's defective.

Sounds to me that the housing isn't installed correctly. Does the plate wobble on the left or right side? Check that it is on right.

TeamEpsilon
2010.01.06, 03:18 PM
I use that very similar set-up but I also use these spacers made by Reflex and I have not had this problem they are very inexpensive so I would try that.

EMU
2010.01.06, 04:23 PM
Did you glue the plates to the housing? If so, are the plates installed evenly. A tiny bit of imprecision will give you a rough diff action. When you install the plates with glue, spin the plate as I install it to spread the glue and ensure an even installation...

MINI-D
2010.01.06, 06:37 PM
There is no need to sand down the QteQ diff hub with the RR spur. Have you added any spacers to the shaft between the spur and right diff hub to make up for the void?

Hi,
with: Reflex Racing Light Weight 8mm Diff Rings low weight. You do need
to sand down the inner diff housing. the diff plates are thinner. when I
ordered the same setup over the phone from RR, CT told me that with the
thinner plates I would have to sand down the diff housing. :eek:
and it works oh so good. :p

D

Rune
2010.01.06, 06:50 PM
As the others say. Check if the plates are mounted correctly in the hubs. Glue them with CA, and make sure that they are glued in absolutely flat.

I sanded mine down when I used them on a PN 64 pitch spur.
With the RR spur, RR plates and RR shim set it works absolutely fantastic.

Hekyl
2010.01.06, 07:46 PM
I appreciate the replies. I'll double check my diff but am pretty sure have done all the above except for install the spacers as mentioned. Keep you all posted. THX.

Hekyl
2010.01.12, 08:37 AM
Placed a call with CT at Reflex. Problem is being handled -- new RR spacer set and new set of rings should fix my problem. CT offered to build my diff for me as well. Reflex rocks. Thanks all.