PDA

View Full Version : infinitrax racetrack

kryten
2010.01.07, 11:21 AM
Anyone tried one of these? I'm thinking of getting one or two for the nano.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Dnano/p2522_search.jpg

EMU
2010.01.07, 12:33 PM
I have been thinking the same thing... but I dont have a nano yet. Although, Im getting very close to getting one and the track (as long as I can clear it by my room-mate).

kryten
2010.01.07, 05:09 PM
Mine should be here on saturday,so i'll post a review then. :D

EMU
2010.01.07, 06:14 PM
Thanks. I am anxiously waiting. Whether I get a Dnano and the track depends entirely on your review ;) (no pressure)

FYI, the link in the first post doesnt come up with anything related to the track... http://infinitrax.com/

I read that it is 1/64 scale... I think it would be similar to using a 1/18 car on an RCP track... Runnable, but not much room for error (which is why I think it would make a GREAT practice track).

kryten
2010.01.07, 06:37 PM
:eek: Your purchase is based on my review? lol My driving skills are rusty at best so maybe no vids straight away. :) I agree tho practicing on a tight track can only improve skills.
I changed the link in the first post to a pic instead.

EMU
2010.01.07, 07:54 PM
Check for "1080: the Beast" The track is considerably more pieces, for a marginal increase in price. Two of the L tracks will cost more than the larger track that has about 3x the amount of track...

This is the track I am talking about...
http://infinitrax.com/img/1080_box.jpg

JeremyC
2010.01.08, 12:07 AM
I stumbled on this roll up track.. I can't seem to find it actually for sale anywhere, and it doesn't have barriers, but I think a roll-up track has a lot of advantages....

What other surfaces might work for dNaNo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEQRzf2sD8I&feature=fvsr

mk2kompressor
2010.01.08, 01:04 AM
the infinitrax looks tiny on the video,if only they made it a touch wider.

we have the dnano track here at the shop but its too cold to drive on (hardly any grip)
im going to make a mini version of the omotsando for the gadget show using thin carpet

EMU
2010.01.08, 02:01 AM
Matt, what video have you seen with the Infinitrax? What is the general turning radius for the Dnano?

jjay
2010.01.08, 03:19 AM
http://www.firebox.com/product/2522/Infinitrax-Racetrack#videos_h

found this one. dont know if its the same video m2k is talkin about?
but yea, def looks tiny.
Even the 1080 Beast can't be much bigger, track lanes seem to be the same width.

kryten let us know! :p

kryten
2010.01.08, 08:56 AM
In the UK we can only get the one i pictured :( Amazon.com have all the different kits,but shipping to the uk works out as much as the track itself.

kryten
2010.01.09, 10:37 AM
The track arrived this morning,it's good quality and the pieces fit together well.The grip levels are very good too.I think it could do with being a inch or two wider,however you can get a nano around it :). I found that if you make a hairpin(two corners together) the nano will only just get around it. To make hairpins easier i fitted a half straight in between it,which makes it a lot easier to get around.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Dnano/DSC02807.jpg

Here is a pic of the nano sat on the track,to get an idea of track size compared to the car,and a pic of my first setup using two 540 shred kits.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Dnano/DSC02806.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/sendapics/Dnano/DSC02805.jpg

It's quite tight,but after about 10 mins i was getting around a lap without hitting anything,even tho i was going quite slow.

Overall i'm pretty happy with it so far,having a track this narrow can only improve my driving. :)

Daddy Rabbit
2010.01.09, 10:52 AM
What is the approx. length and width overall of the layout you have?

kryten
2010.01.09, 10:58 AM
It is 5ft 4ins(163cm) long and 3ft(92cm) at its widest point.

Daddy Rabbit
2010.01.09, 11:17 AM
Thanks K, and you say the traction is good?

kryten
2010.01.09, 11:22 AM
NP's :) yes it seems very good,not had a single slide so far.

ZBest
2010.01.09, 09:09 PM
NP's :) yes it seems very good,not had a single slide so far.

How will you slide when you have to drive at a snail pace. :eek:I think that track is a bit too small for rc cars. Maybe matchbox cars or toy cars.

kryten
2010.01.09, 09:23 PM
I said i was driving quite slow don't remember saying a snail's pace??????

ZBest
2010.01.09, 09:36 PM
I said i was driving quite slow don't remember saying a snail's pace??????

Sorry, i was referring to a video I saw of a car going around the track. I have a dnano and what looks like a 6 or 7 inch width just wont cut it. You would be better off getting some fatigue mat squares and making a track yourself. The squares are cheap on ebay and you can make a much longer track for the dnano. Just my opinion. No offense.

reaper
2010.01.10, 12:39 PM
to be honest id say krytens track is a lot more realistic

look at 1:1 race tracks they arnt 258 ft wide (what a 1/43 car would equate to on 600mm track )
driving on a tight track can only make you a better driver

kryten
2010.01.10, 05:29 PM
I've had those fatigue mats before,the grip level on them is very different to rcp,imo this track is quite similar to rcp. I dont want another track where i set my car up to run on it and it won't run on rcp and vice versa.

EMU
2010.01.10, 06:04 PM
If you had to rate the track, out of 10, what would you rate it now? And what would be the most important feature that would increase the rating? (probably lane width)

kryten
2010.01.10, 06:07 PM
If lane width was not a factor,it would score very high 9 or 10 due to price and quality.
At first the width of the track is very annoying,but then it becomes more of a challenge to get around the track properly. :)

ZBest
2010.01.10, 09:24 PM
I dont know how these tiny tracks make you a better driver. If you cant get your car up to anything close to full speed, how will it make you a better drive when you get on a larger track. All cars handle differently when they run at 1/2 to full throttle. You cant get the dnano past 1/4 throttle without bouncing off the walls on a 7inch lane size. When the dnano gets to higher speed the car reacts differently, turns differently and you drive differently. Sorry, just dont agree.

JeremyC
2010.01.10, 11:09 PM
I dont know how these tiny tracks make you a better driver. If you cant get your car up to anything close to full speed, how will it make you a better drive when you get on a larger track. All cars handle differently when they run at 1/2 to full throttle. You cant get the dnano past 1/4 throttle without bouncing off the walls on a 7inch lane size. When the dnano gets to higher speed the car reacts differently, turns differently and you drive differently. Sorry, just dont agree.

ZBest,

I agree with what you are saying, but I wouldn't say that the tight lane width is useless. I'm really curious to hear more about this how this setup feels compared to racing a Z on RCP; as I am on the fence between a setup something like this or a Micro-T for at home practice..

-Jer

EMU
2010.01.11, 12:23 AM
The way that I see it, turning laps on a large fast track, or a short tight track will both help with the hand-eye coordination that it takes to drive these cars at the limit. Whether it is the limit of the car on the track, or the limit that the track has on the car.

This track may be a little too tight to run fast, however, it will help focus on consistancy, and learning how to take the fast line through the track, how to connect corners and maintain good speed through the sections of the track.

For Mini-Z practice, its not like the setup adjustments you do on the Dnano are going to compare to anything you do with the Z...

I would love to see a small video of the car running on the track, even if it isnt the best driving... Just to see how the corner speed looks.

In the next paycheck or two, I plan to get a Dnano and this track. Just so I can turn some laps. I drove someones F40 Dnano last night, and I have decided that I need to get one... In general, I think that most Mini-Z tracks are too large, I personally prefer smaller tight tracks.

JeremyC
2010.01.11, 12:51 AM
The way that I see it, ...

I think part of what you are saying is directed to my comment about wanting to see how it compares to Z's on RCP. Let me give you some background.

I want to get another RC that I can run at home so that I can get some practice driving RC when not at the track. Just like you said, it is to improve the hand/eye coordination.

Now, I'm on the fence between a dNaNo and a Micro-T, and that is the reason I asked about the dNaNo in relation to a mini-z on RCP. If the dNaNo is even remotely similar to a Z on RCP I'd be more inclined to get the dN, because I know that the micro-t is going to be a very different experience.

Although the Micro-T's are much much cheaper.....

-Jer

EMU
2010.01.11, 02:09 AM
What are the rails on the track made out of?

The Micro-T is nothing like the Mini-Z... Dnano, on any surface would be more similar to a Mini-Z than the Micro-T is.

I am in the same boat as you... I want to have a track that I can run a stock Dnano on, without having any urge to upgrade the Dnano. Since the speeds will be slow on the Infinitrax track, I think it would be ideal for my purpose. Will running laps be easy? Not with very small lanes. However, controlling the car in the tight lane that is available, is similar to keeping your car on the race line in a race. While speeds will be very different between the tracks, car placement is what I want to work on. If I could fit a Mini-96 in my apartment, I would. I had one for a while, and turned many laps on it. During the time I had the track, my driving improved on large tracks... alot in the tight sections, but my consistancy in the fast sections improved as well.

Almost any wheeltime helps... Right now the only practice I get is when I play games on the Xbox... so if I can have a track that I can hit moderate speeds on with a small car, and turn some laps, it will help my purpose. Am I recommending that this track is a perfect track, no. Actually, I do think it will be a little too tight to do any high speed running... but that is sort of the purpose. Its using very little space, spending relatively little money, and being able to try to get the car through the track as fast as I can.

kryten
2010.01.11, 07:15 AM
Zbest: you are completely missing the point,if you can turn laps on a track this tight,then doing so on rcp afterwards would seem relatively easy. I'm not saying this track is perfect for the dnano,far from it,but as Emu points out,it's more to do with getting your lines right.

JeremyC: I was at a z meet last week with my dnano,and ran it on the rcp.I'd say they are similar to running a Z. The only thing is my subaru just traction rolled on the corners as it's so narrow. However another member had a murci dnano there too,and was putting in lap times quicker than 70% of the z's :)

Emu: The rails are made from hard plastic, your last post makes my point better than i could. :) It's not perfect,but if you don't have space or the funds for a mini-96 (i don't have either) then this track is an option.
I'll try to get a vid of my(quite bad)driving this week.

Personally i'd rather struggle to get around this narrow track,knowing that it is going to improve my driving and hand/eye co-ordination skills,than use the fatigue mats,which have a LOT less grip levels than rcp.

pedrocamp
2010.01.11, 08:29 AM
I have to agree with EMU that running a small car on a tight track improves your driving. I started running MiniZs back when I used to race 10th scale touring car and I was much smoother with the big cars after running the "tiny" Zs on relatively tiny tracks. The 10th touring cars felt big and lazy! I have since given up 10th scale but bought a dNaNo to likewise improve my Z driving and it has worked. The HTUSA track is bigger than this little track but yet quite a bit tighter than most Z tracks.

JeremyC
2010.01.11, 01:55 PM
We are all on the same page here; I'm just trying to explore all options. I'm thinking that the 'toy' RCP track would be a good option. It is pretty large, but if you only used half of it it would allow much wider lane width; of course you'd have to make your own rails somehow.

Or if you could setup a 4x2 tile 50CM RCP blank section, it would be about 6.5'x3.3'. You'd need rails, and someone selling just 8 tiles :)

mugler
2010.01.11, 04:35 PM
Or if you could setup a 4x2 tile 50CM RCP blank section, it would be about 6.5'x3.3'. You'd need rails, and someone selling just 8 tiles :)

That will be easily the best option to go with IF they did sell the individual blank tiles which they don't as u mention. surprised RCP hasn't come up with its own Micro track and left the door open for the competition again! As i suggested before on a different thread would like to see the blank tile design maybe with the outside walls only accepting the barriers. This will leave the entire blank surface for layout via some creative flexible tubing and such.

Right now I think I'll use my blank 96tiles to set up a table top 3x5 tile track and use something like heavy rope for railing...snap i still need to drop a lot of $s to secure a dNano either the new Xanavi 350z or the Orange GT3...

JeremyC
2010.01.11, 05:58 PM
surprised RCP hasn't come up with its own Micro track and left the door open for the competition again

I've been in touch with lornecherry from the tinyrc.com forum; he is developing a dNaNo roll-up carpet track that would be nearly perfect. It can be sold in 6 foot wide sections by the linear foot. It is pretty reasonable in price. I'm not going to quote what he said to me because he hasn't officially released it yet, but that is going to happen in the next couple weeks. Suffice to say that w/o rails it is between the price of infinitrax and a mini-96. However, it has the benefit of being rolled up in a matter of seconds. Not sure how much his rail system is going to be.

http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24223

cosmicsoul
2010.03.03, 09:01 PM
If you have the room, I would say go with the RCP mini-96 track for Dnano's. Honestly I don't know why Kyosho didn't go this route when setting up tracks at Hobby Town USA.

The carpet tracks are fun and definately functional however RCP is much better and probably more economical than the table top tracks at Hobby Town USA.

For the money you can't go wrong with the Mini-96 for Dnano. You can basically run the same set up on RCP that you would run on carpet.

If the RCP guy could strike a deal with Hobby Town USA he could sell a ton of tracks. You just can't beat RCP for Dnano's or Mini-z period why even bother trying. It would be cool if RCP came up with a smaller configuration of the Mini-96 for guys with limited space.

Kevin S.
2010.03.23, 03:39 PM
Zbest: you are completely missing the point,if you can turn laps on a track this tight,then doing so on rcp afterwards would seem relatively easy. I'm not saying this track is perfect for the dnano,far from it,but as Emu points out,it's more to do with getting your lines right.

JeremyC: I was at a z meet last week with my dnano,and ran it on the rcp.I'd say they are similar to running a Z. The only thing is my subaru just traction rolled on the corners as it's so narrow. However another member had a murci dnano there too,and was putting in lap times quicker than 70% of the z's :)

Emu: The rails are made from hard plastic, your last post makes my point better than i could. :) It's not perfect,but if you don't have space or the funds for a mini-96 (i don't have either) then this track is an option.
I'll try to get a vid of my(quite bad)driving this week.

Personally i'd rather struggle to get around this narrow track,knowing that it is going to improve my driving and hand/eye co-ordination skills,than use the fatigue mats,which have a LOT less grip levels than rcp.

Hey Kryten,
I was just wondering if you have had a chance to take any videos yet of the dNANO running on the Infinitrax set up that you have?

kryten
2010.03.23, 04:48 PM
I didn't do any i'm afraid. I managed to widen the track by about 25mm,but it was still too narrow. It's a shame really as the track is a lot cheaper than rcp.

Kevin S.
2010.03.23, 05:12 PM
I didn't do any i'm afraid. I managed to widen the track by about 25mm,but it was still too narrow. It's a shame really as the track is a lot cheaper than rcp.

So you would not recommend purchasing one? I have a dNANO as well and I was thinking of purchasing this for home use.

kryten
2010.03.23, 11:24 PM
So you would not recommend purchasing one? I have a dNANO as well and I was thinking of purchasing this for home use.

No i would not recommend buying one for the dnano,it's definately too small.

Kevin S.
2010.03.24, 09:31 AM
No i would not recommend buying one for the dnano,it's definately too small.

Hey Kryten, thank you so much for all of your valuable input on this race track. I was all ready to purchase this track so I can try and run some laps with my dNANO in the hopes of improving my driving skill. I was looking for something small and easy to set up and break down and I thought that this was the way to go until I received your valuable feedback.