PDA

View Full Version : RCP Mini-96 or Wide "L" Track?

jjay
2010.01.08, 05:14 PM
Me and some buddies are looking to finally buy an RCP track. Not looking to currently spend too much cash due to all our other expenses, we've decided on either a RCP Mini-96 or the Wide "L" track. Both being like 200bucks each.

We run both AWDs and 02s, nothing serious, just for fun. Also, we always end up drifting our AWDs eventually whenever we bring out the Z's, and always have trouble finding a good consistant surface.

I've been trying to picture how much smaller the Mini-96 lane width is for our Z's compared to the Wide tracks. I've also been reading around about these tracks and it does seem like the Mini-96 may be too narrow for a few guys to race around on? The expansion is another 100+ bucks which we're not lookin to get into right now.

Do you guys recommend getting the Mini-96 or the Wide "L"?

Any input on either or these tracks will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

JeremyC
2010.01.08, 05:32 PM
Do you guys recommend getting the Mini-96 or the Wide "L"?

My opinion won't mean much because I haven't raced on a Mini-96, but from what I've read a lot of people aren't happy with a Z on the 30cm tiles. So I would recommend getting the Wide L; even if the track is less configurable. Especially if you are going to be running several cars.

The biggest reason being that the Mini-96 uses 30cm tiles and the L uses the more standard 50cm. That means that if you choose to add more tiles later you'll have the more normal wider lanes.

Just my thoughts
-Jer

danny250r
2010.01.08, 05:50 PM
i would try and save up a little more $$$ and get at least two wide L kits cause one is really small :D

PridgeoK
2010.01.08, 11:46 PM
Hey guys,

This has been mashed around often on these forums, and it really boils down to personal preference, the space you have to work with and of course your budget. Ask 10 people here and you'll probably get 10 different opinions, but they very well may be 10 great options depending on your perspective. Here's my 2c for what it's worth.

I bought the mini-96 a couple years back now and absolutely love it. You cannot go wrong with it for the cost, and if you do add on the extras to it, it can become incredible. As it is with just the base kit, you get 12 corners, so you can make a LOT of track configs. It will fit in a relatively small space, and doesn't take up a ton of space to store it afterwards. The list goes on with benefits: cheap expansions like the wide inside corners are an awesome addition, as is the 45 degree kit, and blanks are relatively cheap to widen the track. Check out Lookinco's track for an example of what it can turn into though! (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33444)

RCP now sells blank "kits" of 25 or 50 pieces of the wide track, and 30-packs of the mini track, so you can easily make custom tracks without all the extra space the normal rails use up. This might save you some money and let you make a bigger surface area, but still have the patented RCP quality surface. You could fassion yourself some make-shift rails of your own or... wait a bit and look at some of the new rails and track components that RCP is coming up with in the future. Check this thread out: (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31754). It's exciting, and looks awesome. Might be worth thinking about.

Hope this stirs your conversation a bit,

Kev.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27033&d=1239905981

Eman
2010.01.08, 11:59 PM
The Mini 96 by itself is kinda of tight with a bunch of cars on it. Hard to pass cleanly. Drifting would be a challenge. I had to get 2 expansion kits to widen mine. So for the money the Wide L would be better IMO.

PridgeoK
2010.01.09, 01:45 AM
Not sure if I actually relayed what I meant very well in regards to getting RCP's blank sets (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19837&cat=283&page=2)... I was thinking that it might be cool to just these buy blanks - not the rails or the Wide-L at all... then make your own borders. That way you get more track space for your money, and it looks to cost very close to what a Wide-L does but you get more pieces. 50 pieces can fit a decent area of floor space. 10 tiles x 5 tiles would be a pretty good track area. 6 x 8 (with 2 spares) would work... then expand from there when you have the cash.

Perfect track for a soccar match too! ;)

I think you get 40 tiles total in the wide L kit. (?)

But for sure - having more than a couple people running on the base mini-96 track without some blank expansions in there is pretty tight. If it's 2 of you, it's pretty fun, since it's tight and requires skill (or bashing) to pass. More people than that it's a little hairy, especially if the drivers are fairly new. You learn fast on it though and if (WHEN) you get better driving on the small track, you can drive very well on the wide format track... although faster tracks require different driving style/car setups as well, of course.

What kind of space do you have to play with, anyway? How many people do you have running at once most times?

Kev.

jjay
2010.01.09, 03:21 AM
Thanks everyone so far on your suggestions!

Pridgeok, yea i looked it up looks like you get 40 tiles with the wide L.
I actually really like your idea of just getting the 50 blanks and creating my own track. Pretty much the same price and much more flexible in track layout if I make my own rails.

As far as rails, I've seen a bunch of custom tracks using pvc pipes, hoses, etc. Pipes seem hard on the bodies and other things like hoses look pretty lame/tacky. Any other suggestions for rails? something that doesn't thrash the bodies and looks decent.
It will probably be a permanent track at my friends house so we're trying to make a nice looking track.

PridgeoK
2010.01.09, 01:36 PM
If you're doing a custom track that won't change that much, you may not need many rails at all except for the outside borders of the track. Rails have their place, don't get me wrong, but you might consider really limiting how much of them you really need, and instead, either use a cut-out overlay to just lay on top, coloured gaffer tape or even (:eek: I wouldn't myself) a spray-on alternate colour to define the track courseway. Basically a pseudo border that doesn't affect drivability much, if any, but clearly shows the track route.

Have you seen the harnoishobby.com track pictures? It's obviously WAY above & beyond (and certainly a very cool looking track), but has a minimalist approach to true border rails, instead using some small "bumpers" or barricades and some slightly raised taped inside corners, then clearly defines the track with the paint scheme they use. Since the course is so clearly drawn out you would really get to know the course, but if you go off course (bump/crash), you aren't necessarily slammed into a continuous rail... you just lose time.

Of course... if you're really making a full-on permanent custom track, then you could go hog wild and cut up the tiles to custom widths, tack down borders with nails right through the RCP, and build up scenery on the sides and the whole gamit of overboard goodness. Attached below is an image of a track I saw on the boards here somewhere, and again - looks like some straightforward rails and some well thought out plans make for an incredible looking final result that looks wicked to drive on. Probably a bit bigger than what you're after for now, but... we all have to start somewhere. Obviously they use a different surface (regupol). Check it out:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28900&stc=1&d=1263061617

Dreaming big?

Kev.