PDA

View Full Version : Futaba 3PKS with AM - Couple questions

Arboleda
2010.01.09, 07:26 PM
I have an MR-02 with the AM board and just bought a Futaba 3PKS. I'm about to get the AM module for the 3PK/3PKS so that I can use it with this car. I'll upgrade to 2.4ghz someday, but not yet. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with...

1 - I read that due to FCC stuff in the USA, Futaba chose to manufacture the AM module in such a way that you can't change the crystal in it. However, apparently it's as easy as removing some of the sticker and the crystal is then readily changeable. Have any of you done this?

2 - Assuming the answer to (1) is yes... I see lots of different manufacturers of crystal sets that include a matching transmitter-side and car-side crystal. There are Futaba sets, Kyosho sets, and sets from 3rd parties. Which sets have you had luck with in mini-z? Or do I have to buy a Futaba-brand crystal for the transmitter and Kyosho-brand crystal for the car? I'm trying to pinch my pennies, any suggestions and how to have a few sets on the cheap?

3 - Which mode do you put the transmitter in - PCM / PPM / HRS?

mleemor60
2010.01.09, 09:39 PM
PCM or PPM I don't remember which for sure but definitely not HRS. You should be able to use any AM crystals out there. I never had any issues with any that I used before switching to 2.4. You will love all the functions that open up for you. You can fine tune as much with the transmitter as you can on the car. If you have the manual read it carefully and you will be amazed.

I don't think that either of the modules I had came with a block off or crystals for that matter. Just stay with the whole number crystals and away from the 0 numbered units. 02, 04, 06 etc.

briankstan
2010.01.10, 12:37 PM
I've had issues running the Yeah Racing Crystals in my Helios with the AM module I don't know about the other brands of radios though. Maybe you'll have it sorted for the next race. :cool:

cowboysir
2010.01.10, 12:50 PM
I have an MR-02 with the AM board and just bought a Futaba 3PKS. I'm about to get the AM module for the 3PK/3PKS so that I can use it with this car. I'll upgrade to 2.4ghz someday, but not yet. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can help me with...

1 - I read that due to FCC stuff in the USA, Futaba chose to manufacture the AM module in such a way that you can't change the crystal in it. However, apparently it's as easy as removing some of the sticker and the crystal is then readily changeable. Have any of you done this?

2 - Assuming the answer to (1) is yes... I see lots of different manufacturers of crystal sets that include a matching transmitter-side and car-side crystal. There are Futaba sets, Kyosho sets, and sets from 3rd parties. Which sets have you had luck with in mini-z? Or do I have to buy a Futaba-brand crystal for the transmitter and Kyosho-brand crystal for the car? I'm trying to pinch my pennies, any suggestions and how to have a few sets on the cheap?

3 - Which mode do you put the transmitter in - PCM / PPM / HRS?

1. Weird...I have a 3PK with a module that you can change crystals. If there is a crystal that is under the sticker that does not have a pull tab then you can open the module case to remove it.

2. I've used many different AM crystals to good effect as long as you have the matching set.

3. PPM...any other TX setting will give you a crazy glitch/no function.