PDA

View Full Version : At home practice with tiny, or no track

JeremyC
2010.01.13, 07:57 PM
Well, I am coming to the sad conclusion that I'm limited to going to the track one time a week. I'm grateful that I can go that much, but I know that with such limited track time it is going to be hard to progress and impossible to perfect.

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to get wheel time, and how to get into the A-Main :)

My situation is this:

* I have a tiny apartment and could only setup a track on a temporary basis. Max size of track is probably 10x6, but realistically I could only do 8x6 or maybe even 6x6.
* I have limited time because I am fortunately working full time(I started a job on Tuesday, after months of looking, yay!)

So I've been thinking about this a lot and what I've come up with for options is this:

* Get a Mini-96 and set something small up once in awhile.
* Get a dNaNo and a rollup track
* Get a Micro-T and drive it outside
* Get a 1/18 or something of that ilk and drive it outside

My thoughts on these options

* Mini-96 running mini-z would be identical to real track time, but tight. Downside is that setting up the track takes a long time, and I'm not sure how often I'd do it.
* A dNaNo would be *SWEET* and a rollup track is easy to setup, under 10 minutes. however, these little guys are not cheap and everything has to be mail ordered. Kind of a pain.
* A micro-T in stock form is cheap, but to have FM or SS electronics is just as expensive as a dNaNo. Running outside would be fun, but not very similar to mini-z..........
* Something else. I have no idea, haven't really looked into it.

So.. yeah, just stream of conscience here.

EMU
2010.01.13, 08:21 PM
You can always get a VRC simulator... Im in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what to do as well.

JeremyC
2010.01.13, 08:28 PM
You can always get a VRC simulator... Im in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what to do as well.

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the Micro-T, because I know you have one. What are your thoughts?

Are the VRC's realistic enough to benefit you?

wildthing
2010.01.13, 10:43 PM
does your office have "space" that you could set-up a track?

invite officemate into the hobby and run it on break time or before office (you get to go to the office early) or after office (you get to stay at the office late).... ;)

Skv012a
2010.01.13, 11:21 PM
From my experience with a bare Mini-96 its a VERY short track. Feels like I get used to it much faster than to a typical 2 Wide L or more, so while you'll be able to hone your skills the cap for that might be a fairly low. Thats my thoughts so far.

Action B
2010.01.14, 12:15 AM
I have a micro-t and I dont think it helps much with driving unless your really a novice. They are kinda fun though outside.

LED
2010.01.14, 12:32 AM
I wouldnt get a small track for the mini-z.
t is totaly different then driving on a bigger track. You wouldnt get anything out of it other then maybe testing some new tires to see how much grip they have.

ianc
2010.01.14, 10:15 AM
Actually, properly stored, the Mini-96 wouldn't take any time at all to set up. I have about a 15'x20' track in my garage stored in sections and I can set it up in less than 10 min.

Another option you didn't mention would be to use the $$$ you're raking in from your new-found job to get a bigger place!

It just depends on what you want to do. Bashing larger scales around outside is fun, but bears little relation to track time with Mini-Z's. Ditto the rollup track and Dnanos. Do you want to hone your Mini-Z skills, or just have some general RC fun?

ianc

JeremyC
2010.01.16, 12:33 AM
Still thinking about this. I haven't driven an RC since Saturday, and it is bumming me out.

I did some research into the virtual RC racing, and the VirtualRC software is supposed to be very accurate. If I got the USB adapter I could use my EX-10 too, which would be nice. Another upside is that I wouldn't have to spend time wrenching on any other cars...

However, it doesn't seem nearly as desirable as running a dNaNo....

Action B, well, i'm not that much of a novice any more.. I've won a couple B mains now. :) I think the micro-T would be drastically different than the Z, but if I drove the thing on a fixed track and timed it I think I could work on my line etc. Of the physical car options I feel like that would let me get the most real driving time...

The more I think about this the more I think I should check out the VRC...

blt456
2010.01.16, 12:44 AM
Hey Jeremy I'm in your shoes.. I'm getting a mini-96 since I have the room. I'll take some pics of a layout once it comes in..sound cool?

JeremyC
2010.01.16, 09:03 AM
Hey Jeremy I'm in your shoes.. I'm getting a mini-96 since I have the room. I'll take some pics of a layout once it comes in..sound cool?

Yeah, very...

I saw that atomic mods sells the 50cm RCP tiles individually. I think for $3.99 which isn't too bad. For a dNaNo I figure you'd need a 4x2 tile setup to have something worth practicing on. That comes out to just over $40 shipped to my zip, and could be pretty good. Too small for a Z though.

-Jer

EMU
2010.01.16, 02:06 PM
Blank track, and make your own borders would be the best way I think... Although, finding the right border material then becomes the biggest problem... I would run on the smooth side with the Dnano though.

marc
2010.01.16, 02:23 PM
If you have space for a Mini96, that is the way to go. It is a tight coarse and the DNano is perfect on it. If you can successfully race around the Mini96 without hitting the walls much, your pretty good to go. I wouldn't try a Z on the Mini96 as it's a very tight track for 1/28 scale, but it's perfect practicing for 1/43.
A Micro-T is a very different animal and it's more for bashing around and jumping about than flat-out racing.
I highly recommend the office deal and maybe you can have a more "permanent" location than at home. Plus, if you can get your co-workers in on it, it's better practice to race with somebody than on your own, and it's a lot more fun to. Plus, it gives you something to look forward to other than just work! Wish I had a job like that!
Good luck!

JeremyC
2010.01.16, 06:35 PM
Blank track, and make your own borders would be the best way I think... Although, finding the right border material then becomes the biggest problem... I would run on the smooth side with the Dnano though.

Yah. Who knows... BLAH!

I'm tired of thinking about it right now.

dvsstrike
2010.01.16, 09:24 PM
best to go to the place you racce for practice. best bet is to go on a non race day and set up the car. you can probably run for a couple of packs.

EMU
2010.01.17, 02:27 PM
It takes me about 1.5-3 hours to get to any of the tracks in the tri-state area. I would think the same for Jeremy. So, while it is best to go to a real track for practice, I can barely even make it to the track before qualifiers begin on a race day... so, it really isnt an option.

dvsstrike
2010.01.17, 03:08 PM
i see.. the issue. i guess a little practice is better than no practice. the issue i see with the mini 96 is all you get to practice is slamming the brakes and seeing if your car has grip. that track is also so narrow. guess you can practice your nerves

J-Milz
2010.01.17, 03:13 PM
I have a mini 96 in the basement and it improved my ability alot! I went from hitting the boards 3-5 times when I first bought it to not hitting them at all. It helped me develop racing lines and set up to take corners properly. Yes, its rather small to go full throtle, but I have stock cars that I only use for that track. I also have the Virtual RC simulator too, but in my opinion its more like a video game and not a practice tool.

Cherub1m
2010.01.17, 03:16 PM
Yeah, very...

I saw that atomic mods sells the 50cm RCP tiles individually. I think for $3.99 which isn't too bad. For a dNaNo I figure you'd need a 4x2 tile setup to have something worth practicing on. That comes out to just over $40 shipped to my zip, and could be pretty good. Too small for a Z though.

-Jer

i see.. the issue. i guess a little practice is better than no practice. the issue i see with the mini 96 is all you get to practice is slamming the brakes and seeing if your car has grip. that track is also so narrow. guess you can practice your nerves

Hi Jeremy

I have a Mini 96 its a great track, I think its great for Miniz's and would be great for Dnano's also. Look at my video link below my signature. That's a Mini 96 running a 98mm Mclaren F1. I do have the expansion pack on the straight but the rest is standard. Currently I am running it without any expansion tiles and it's not all breaks. You actually have to roll the throttle and roll around the corners and sometimes use a little break if you over shot the corner. It takes a little time but once you get it it really helps you in keeping a tight line.

Good Luck