PDA

View Full Version : Optimum setup for RCP Track

RFick73
2010.01.13, 10:01 PM
Hey all.

This is my first post so please disregard my ignorance.

I am VERY newb to Mini-Z (Like 1 week+) I have gone out to only 1 race so far with my car.
I heard about this class from my LHS, went out to a race, and ordered my own like the same day. I put in a bit of research and decided to go with the MR-03 as it was the newest and for me, the best feature was it used ANY body you relly wanted to put on it.

Out of approx 8 races I placed a consistent 2nd against hopped up and stock MR-02's and just behind a very hopped up AWD.

I'm out to have fun and all, but what should I change to try to get up to that #1 spot? Again, I am very new to Mini-Z.

I'd like to stick to Atomic parts as that's what my LHS stocks in abundance.
But, I am willing to venture out of that supplier to others as well, but I really prefer to support my LHS.

We mainly race on the textured side of 50cm RCP Track.
I'm actually gunna get myself one set of it to practice with at home. (Can you tell I'm hooked?)

I realize I really need to put in my time to just learn to drive this thing & luckily my LHS has a small setup in their shop so I plan on putting a few hours into it as I have 4 sets of batteries. =)

Any suggestions and or any links to other posts or sites I should read through to help me better my performance would also be appreciated.

Thanx in advance!

-Ryan

color01
2010.01.13, 10:37 PM
That kind of thing highly depends on where you race. Is it a large or small layout? What kind of motors are you guys running? What are your car's current specifications? Many things you need to factor in before we can even begin to help you out. ;)

I would switch out the Diablo body for something else though. The McLaren F1 LM (the older, narrow one) is an excellent 98mm body for smaller tracks, and the 2008 GT500 GT-R is a good one for large layouts.

I have some articles written up in my TinyRC Blog that may be of help to you -- otherwise, going through the MR-03 forum section and seeing what kinds of setups other people are using (read their commentary too!) will be the most help. Learning from others' experience is a quick and effective way to get yourself to the top.

MINI-D
2010.01.13, 11:03 PM
Hi RFick73,
try this setup: http://www.fastpaceracing.com/content/mr03-setup
this setup is from Tjay Macabuhay, he just won the Tekin 1/28th Nationals, Pan Car Mod, January 2010 10/11th at Inside Line Racing, Cupertino Ca with this basic
setup. this is a replay of the A Maine Race. :cool:
Pan Car Mod A1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw747Ry4iY4
its a GREAT starting point. :D:D:D:

on top of a good car he is a Very Talented and Consistent Driver

D

wildthing
2010.01.13, 11:03 PM
There are tons of info on this site alone... hehehe. Among things I think would be a good read/upgrade that could be found here with help of the search:

1) upgrading fets
2) lowering CGs - MR03 needs a different technic to lower it down
3) converting to ceramic ball bearings

Tjay
2010.01.14, 01:16 AM
Wow! Thank you for the kind words Mini-D. :)

The most important thing you'd want to invest into is the correct tire combo. You should ask the fastest driver with the same car as your on which tire is he running. Usually though a set of kyosho 20 wide slicks rear and kyosho 30 narrow slicks front would do the job. Next would be, steel bearing kit and damper plate system. This damper plate system may need to be modified if you make them fit in your stock motor pod but this will minimize or even eliminate rear hopping. Also make sure to use tire tape when installing new tires. Everytime you remove that tire from the rim, replace the tire tape.

I have driven a bone stock MR03 with just race tires all around and it works but it'll be more consistent with damper plate system.

Good Luck!

RFick73
2010.01.14, 06:46 AM
Thank you all for your quick replies!

I will be sure to go over what you have suggested, but please, keep it coming!!!

The only upgrades I have done so far is what one of the other racers happened to mention I "needed" while they were in the LHS while I was there too.

Atomic Plastic Slip Bearing Set (AR-042-B)
Atomic A.W. Groove-Narrow (10 Degree) Front Tires - AR-10
Atomic Mini-Z 8" Radial Groove Tire -W 9For RCP) Rears - AR-244-W08

The front left wore out pretty quickly almost down to no tread so for my last few races I swapped around the fronts, it did help but the tire started to come off the wheel quite a bit around that time. (Still running stock wheels from the Lambo kit) What is this tire tape you mentioned? Links? I'm assuming narrow doube sided tape?

We have 3 sets of RCP Wide L's for racing on so it's a pretty medium sized setup I would say.

Tjay - Do you think the steel bearings perform better than plastic/ceramic?
I've read something about shielded and non, what is the difference?
And the Damper plate system you speak of, I think I know what your talking about, but doesn't it come in many different flavors? And if so, what do you all suggest I use? See: Atomic Suspension Upgrades (http://www.atomicmods.com/Categories/Kyosho-Mini-Z/Mini-Z-MR-03/Susp-and-Chassis-Upgrades.aspx)

Again, thank you all for your replies!

JeremyC
2010.01.14, 07:33 AM
The Damper Plate System(often called Disk Damper System, or DDS) is offered by almost every company. I've used carbon and titanium plates; the titanium was easier to get right because the carbon ones need to be sanded smooth. They should all perform well. This is a good link about DDS http://www.reflexracing.net/disk_damper.asp

I'm not sure what you mean by 'plastic' bearings. How expensive were they? If they were under $10, then you almost certainly need to upgrade. IMHO ceramic bearings are way overpriced, but I'm a middle of the pack driver :P

Regarding tires, especially front tires. Anything with tread will wear out very fast. But 10 degree front tires, are you sure? That is *WAY* too soft. Most people at my track either run 30 or 40s. The fastest guys typically run 40s. As TJay said the slicks are a great way to go, and my Kyosho 30 front slicks have just as much grip today as they did 4 or 5 race days ago.. I feel strongly about this and wrote a lengthy post about slick tires here: http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33451

And for tire tape, you are right on. Just search for it at one of the suppliers.

RFick73
2010.01.14, 08:39 AM
JeremyC,

Yes, I am sure about what type of tires I am currently running as when I made that post I read it right off the product card.
It was another racers suggestion to use those as they seemed to like them? Maybe I should try your suggestion and leave them in the dust! ;)

I keep all the product tags in a biggie with each of my cars, as I have no memory, all I have to do is bring the card, hand it to the clerk and they gimme my replacement . :)

I'm going to wait on changing tire options as some of the other racers are making sets of GTX? foams this weekend for sale at the race the weekend after.
What are all your opinions on foam tires for these little guys on the RCP track? Should I go with those, or perhaps the 30-40 rubbers?

Someone also mentioned something about running a few steps above or below in front and in back, if what I said makes sense.. Like 10/30 or something like that. Can't remember what he said exactly.

Tjay
2010.01.14, 09:41 AM
1. Tire Tape (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17583&cat=0&page=1)
2. DDS (http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4448) => or whatever you have at your LHS that is multi-length. Meaning adjustable from 94mm-98mm configuration.
3. Steel Bearings => Any $10 bearings. No need to invest into ceramics. Also the plastic you're referring to is the bushing or rubber sealed bearings? Anyhow, the running price for the bearings set would be $9-11 which comes in 7 pcs.
4. Foam => stick with rubber tires.

herman
2010.01.15, 12:04 AM
one of the most overlooked and easiest hop up is tire choice... find out the optimum tire choice for you, and i'd say you're 75-85% dailed in... the rest would be fine tuning the other things, power train, springs, suspension, damper systems, t/h plates etc...

lots of good things / tips been given out... good luck...

herman
2010.01.15, 12:08 AM
off topic...
this setup is from Tjay Macabuhay, he just won the Tekin 1/28th Nationals, Pan Car Mod, January 2010 10/11th at Inside Line Racing, Cupertino Ca with this basic setup.

dang:eek:... congratulations tjay!!! yo da man...

Roger
2010.01.16, 02:38 PM
Also keep in mind that using someone's set-up may not suit your particular driving style. Everybody is different in thier own way when if comes to how smooth they are on the throttle and steering. My reccomendation is to use one of the many solid set-ups here or at your track. Like what Tjay mentioned, look at the fastest driver at your particular track and use his set-up for the foundation. And then change it slightly according to your driving style / technique. I used Tjay's set-up because we both race at the same track, but my set-up is slightly different than his because of my driving technique. I may not be as smooth yet, but its all coming back to me :). Also, another KEY factor is how do racers have thier radio configured ??? Some racers like high points of dual rates, throttle response, and curves; while others like the opposite. I've driven many cars with IDENTICAL set-ups, but each car reacted different because all radio calibrations were different. I would always have to change the settings on their radios for my driving style. So, keep in mind even though you may be using someone else's set-up; it doesn't mean that you're gonna be as fast as they are. Goodluck.

RFick73
2010.01.19, 08:41 AM
Well, I finally figured out all my issues.

I purchased the correct Ti DPS Plate this time (98mm) & went ahead and installed the Ball diff that someone gave me at the last race. I love hand me downs.. =)

I brought it to my LHS that has a rather small track layout setup & tried it out.

I can tell I will need to learn how to drive it properly. Just slamming on the throttle dumps the power now rather than giving me a quick takeoff, but I like how fast it is in the turns now, it also feels smother!

I'm gunna leave it be for the rest of this week, race it once or twice like this, then look into lowering the front end a bit & replacing the front springs as that has been mentioned in some posts as well. I placed the lower rear end bushings into my motor mount, we'll see if that helps out any as well.

Thanx again for all your replies and keep the thread alive as I wanna learn as much as I can!