PDA

View Full Version : bye bye antenna. HELP.

Hekyl
2010.01.17, 09:54 AM
As I was upgrading my stock MR-03 to a new SP main chassis, I somehow pulled the antenna right off the circuit board. The solder area pulled clean off the PCB and seems there is no way to re-solder the antenna back on to the original location.

How necessary is the antenna for 2.4 and will this PCB be trash?
Is there another area where I could re-solder the antenna?
Where can I purchase another MR-03 PCB?

Tested it around the house and it seems the only thing that was affected was the range. Have not tested it with other 2.4 users as this may cause it to glitch.

JeremyC
2010.01.17, 10:16 AM
As I was upgrading my stock MR-03 to a new SP main chassis, I somehow pulled the antenna right off the circuit board. The solder area pulled clean off the PCB and seems there is no way to re-solder the antenna back on to the original location.

How necessary is the antenna for 2.4 and will this PCB be trash?
Is there another area where I could re-solder the antenna?
Where can I purchase another MR-03 PCB?

Tested it around the house and it seems the only thing that was affected was the range. Have not tested it with other 2.4 users as this may cause it to glitch.

The 2.4 wavelength is so short that you only need a tiny antenna to let it work. So on your car right now the antenna is only the trace in the board, which IMHO is probably not enough.. If it were me, I'd try to follow the trace and solder the antenna to whatever component it came from..

Hekyl
2010.01.17, 11:11 AM
Thanks. What do you mean by a "trace"?

ScoobyPete
2010.01.17, 11:29 AM
What I'd do is to find where the antenna solders on to the board and scrape off a bit of the green coating to expose the silver PCB track and solder the arieal to that.

Hekyl
2010.01.17, 11:47 AM
thanks for the suggestions. I'll open up the cover now. Keep y'all posted.