PDA

View Full Version : Race Times - give your feedback - start earlier than 7pm?

hobbycar
2010.01.18, 12:08 PM
D has asked for feedback on our Ann Arbor GTG event start times.

If we started the Saturday AA GTGs earlier than 7pm would people be able to come earlier? One benefit to starting earlier is to get some exposure to Rider's customers before they close.

Also we definitely need to come up with a more formalized time schedule and structure that will work for us. Reminder that we want to start using our AA GTGs to get prepared for hosting a big Regional Mini-Z event sometime later this year (summer?).

Here are the things we typically need to do at our AA GTGs:

Setup Track (including taking apart carpet track barriers and vacuuming RCP if necessary)
Open Practice
Setup and Test Race Software and Sensors (including figuring out who will be using which transmitter)
Qualifier Heats
Mains
Teardown Track

Other misc things to factor in:

Needing to charge batteries between qualifiers and mains
eating :) (including getting everyone's order, calling in the order, and having one or more people go pickup the order)
setting up/fixing cars

NOTE: we've talked about doing AA GTGs on Fridays instead of Saturdays but this is not an option at this time due to other race events that Rider hosts on Friday nights.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

-hobbycar

hobbycar
2010.01.18, 12:53 PM
Just talked to D. He was specifically asking about starting earlier this Saturday Jan 23.

We wouldn't change our standard 7pm start time.

-hobbycar

Jerrymor
2010.01.18, 06:21 PM
Just talked to D. He was specifically asking about starting earlier this Saturday Jan 23.

We wouldn't change our standard 7pm start time.

-hobbycar

So you are saying that everyone should get there at 7 so we can start right away.
then we can finish before midnight?

arch2b
2010.01.18, 06:35 PM
Take a look at the dc scedule 2010 post, I put up a simple schedule that has us wrapping up hfay race and f1 in 5 hours +\-. It worked well this past weekend as a guideline. The key really is keeping people on track and everything moving forward instead of stops and starts. We managed to shave about 2 hours off our normal time frame.

My wife really appreciates this :p

Time Schedule:
11:00AM - Setup - 30 Minutes
11:30AM - Open Practice - 30 Minutes
12:00AM - Racer 1 practice/races, Clockwise - 1 Hour 30 Minutes
01:30PM - Racer 2 practice/races, Counter CLockwise - 1 Hour 30 Minutes
03:00PM - F1 1 practice/races, Counter Clockwise - 1 Hour
04:00PM - F1 2 practice/races, Clockwise - 1 Hour
05:00PM - breakdown/cleanup - 30 Minutes
05:30PM - End

6:30 minutes total

HFAY Racer Groups (1:30 total):
30: Open practice/tweak
10: Qual 1 (5 Minutes)+ break
10: Qual 2 (5 Minutes)+ break
10: Qual 3 (5 Minutes)+ break
10: Main C (8 Minutes)+ break
10: Main B (8 Minutes)+ break
10: Main A (8 Minutes)+ break

HFAY F1 Groups (1:00 total):
20: Open practice/tweak
10: Qual 1 (5 Minutes)+ break
10: Qual 2 (5 Minutes)+ break
10: Main B (8 Minutes)+ break
10: Main A (8 Minutes)+ break

hobbycar
2010.01.19, 06:46 PM
So you are saying that everyone should get there at 7 so we can start right away.
then we can finish before midnight?

Actually we are thinking if anyone wants to get there at 5 or 5:30 to start setup and practice this Saturday so that people who come into Riders Hobby Shop can see what we do (Riders closes at 6 on Saturday).

-hobbycar

hobbycar
2010.01.19, 06:48 PM
Take a look at the dc scedule 2010 post, I put up a simple schedule that has us wrapping up hfay race and f1 in 5 hours +\-. It worked well this past weekend as a guideline. The key really is keeping people on track and everything moving forward instead of stops and starts. We managed to shave about 2 hours off our normal time frame.

My wife really appreciates this :p

Thanks Arch2b. As always your help is much appreciated. We'll see if there is anything we can use from your schedule as a starting point for what we do.

-hobbycar

Jerrymor
2010.01.19, 07:02 PM
Actually we are thinking if anyone wants to get there at 5 or 5:30 to start setup and practice this Saturday so that people who come into Riders Hobby Shop can see what we do (Riders closes at 6 on Saturday).

-hobbycar

I will be there between 7 and 8 unless something changes.

hobbycar
2010.01.19, 07:40 PM
I will be there between 7 and 8 unless something changes.

Thanks Jerry. Everyone else please chime in with when you will be coming this Saturday.

-hobbycar

]-[ector
2010.02.06, 04:48 PM
7 is a fine time to start, we just need to START RACING before 11 or 12.

mini-z
2010.02.06, 05:02 PM
Somehow we managed to drag our most recent event out until about 4am - and that was with one class! :o Plan for tonight:

7pm: Setup
8pm: Open Fastest Lap Quali
10pm: Mains

I'm hoping the new Quali concept will really help reduce wasted time - no more waiting for one guy to charge cells etc. - everyone can qualify whenever they want during the 2 hour period! :) :cool:

seanp2k
2010.02.23, 10:27 AM
Somehow we managed to drag our most recent event out until about 4am - and that was with one class! :o Plan for tonight:

7pm: Setup
8pm: Open Fastest Lap Quali
10pm: Mains

I'm hoping the new Quali concept will really help reduce wasted time - no more waiting for one guy to charge cells etc. - everyone can qualify whenever they want during the 2 hour period! :) :cool:

Since I'm just getting into this and I'll be mostly running in just the practice rounds to start off, it would be beneficial to me to start things around 8PM since I work until 7PM every other saturday (like on Feb 20th). I also have to get up at 6AM to work on sunday (12 hour shifts in web hosting, yay), so getting things done before about 1:30AM would be cool once I start racing if the race nights are always going to be on saturdays when I work the next day.

Also, just wanted to say that I had lots of fun this past sat. and it was nice meeting all of you. Much friendlier than other RC groups I've been around (Larry's in Sterling Heights by my parents' house, Freedom Hill (they've since removed their dirt track, their BMX track, and banned helis from the grass lot and turned everything into a huge lame concert place where Miley Cyrus plays).

I've been out of R/C for a number of years and I've never raced R/C before, but Minis seem fun because of the lower entry price and the fact that you don't break A-arms every time you go out :)

Also, I like that minis are more about driving skill than about keeping up with the hop-up of the week and having crazy expensive battery packs.

See you all again soon!

hobbycar
2010.02.24, 06:09 PM
Since I'm just getting into this and I'll be mostly running in just the practice rounds to start off, it would be beneficial to me to start things around 8PM since I work until 7PM every other saturday (like on Feb 20th). I also have to get up at 6AM to work on sunday (12 hour shifts in web hosting, yay), so getting things done before about 1:30AM would be cool once I start racing if the race nights are always going to be on saturdays when I work the next day.

Also, just wanted to say that I had lots of fun this past sat. and it was nice meeting all of you. Much friendlier than other RC groups I've been around (Larry's in Sterling Heights by my parents' house, Freedom Hill (they've since removed their dirt track, their BMX track, and banned helis from the grass lot and turned everything into a huge lame concert place where Miley Cyrus plays).

I've been out of R/C for a number of years and I've never raced R/C before, but Minis seem fun because of the lower entry price and the fact that you don't break A-arms every time you go out :)

Also, I like that minis are more about driving skill than about keeping up with the hop-up of the week and having crazy expensive battery packs.

See you all again soon!

Hey Seanp2k. It was nice meeting you at the last AA GTG.

RE: starting and ending times: we are talking about ways to make sure we get done by midnight/12:30am. It will take a concerted effort by everyone (helping setup the track, etc.) but I'm sure we can do it.

RE: Mini-Zs being fun - I have totally found this to be the case. And it helps to have a good group of guys to get together with to race, share knowledge, and generally hang out with like we do here at our Ann Arbor GTGs.

-hobbycar

]-[ector
2010.03.11, 02:44 PM
It sure helps move things along when we aren't waiting around 3 or 4 hours after the track has been set up before the race director even touches the computer to set up the races.

mini-z
2010.03.21, 11:04 AM
J, just to clarify on this, I believe that every event of this new season I've set up the computer a little after 7 as part of the effort to get done earlier etc. (I know this because I skipped out of track setup a lot of the time which I felt bad about, but was necessary in order to try to reduce the overall timeline) - I think what you're thinking of is the final shuffle that has to be done, since even if I get everyone who's there set up way in advance etc., when a few people show up late, everything has to be completely reshuffled, and likely new frequency and transponder conflicts are introduced, and then I have to go around telling everyone what crystals they need to swap to or who's trading this transponder to whom for which race etc. Still, went pretty well last night I think? :)

seanp2k
2010.03.21, 08:27 PM
J, just to clarify on this, I believe that every event of this new season I've set up the computer a little after 7 as part of the effort to get done earlier etc. (I know this because I skipped out of track setup a lot of the time which I felt bad about, but was necessary in order to try to reduce the overall timeline) - I think what you're thinking of is the final shuffle that has to be done, since even if I get everyone who's there set up way in advance etc., when a few people show up late, everything has to be completely reshuffled, and likely new frequency and transponder conflicts are introduced, and then I have to go around telling everyone what crystals they need to swap to or who's trading this transponder to whom for which race etc. Still, went pretty well last night I think? :)

D, maybe we should get a forum post going ahead of time to get everyone on a unique channel / work out transponder numbers / etc. Related, I thought you said transponders were $36 or something, they're almost $46 on the store? http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19610&cat=0&page=1

arch2b
2010.03.21, 08:53 PM
it's actually a very resourceful thing to do provided it's kept current. i posted one for dc for both giro-z (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32999) and am (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19875). i know these aren't cheap but i highly recommend a transition to requiring dojo members to purchase one with spares for new members. this avoids most of the swapping and overlap. i usually give out 1 core transponder for our club and continue to buy them but i draw the line at giving away multiples as it's unsustainable unless they are generic which are ultra cheap. you certainly can waste valuable time with trivial stuff like channels and transponders which can mostly be avoided with some good housekeeping :) won't stop them ever happening but certainly reduces the frequency with which they do.

are you guys running the most current software? i'm curious as to the general opinion of it?

another question, how do you guys get this past your significant others? i have a hard enough time getting our races done before 6pm on a saturday and not have drop outs due to time. i simply could not imagine running friday night.

hobbycar
2010.03.22, 07:35 PM
are you guys running the most current software? i'm curious as to the general opinion of it?

I am pretty sure we are running the latest version of ZRound (v1.9.?). It seems to be working pretty well for us. Although D would be the one to answer best as he is the one configuring it each time for our AA GTGs.

another question, how do you guys get this past your significant others? i have a hard enough time getting our races done before 6pm on a saturday and not have drop outs due to time.

For me it starts with having a great wife :D and then doing a lot of pre-planned compromising with weekly scheduling.

-hobbycar