PDA

View Full Version : Whats lighter, plastic or carbon?

Action B
2010.01.22, 09:58 PM
Looking at ditching my metal PN rear on my MA-010 in favor of something lighter. I can either go with a stock plastic rear with plastic 3racing extension or a 3racing carbon rear (i'd have a 98mm plate custom made). Which is going to be lighter? I have a scale but have no carbon parts to compare my stock parts to.

B-main
2010.01.22, 10:05 PM
in order from light to heavy it would be plastic carbon alum

dvsstrike
2010.01.22, 10:08 PM
a gram is a gram no matter what it is plastic or metal. i may not know what you mean though

Action B
2010.01.22, 10:08 PM
in order from light to heavy it would be plastic carbon alum

Do you know how significant the difference is? I know an aluminum bulkhead is around 1.5x the weight of a plastic one even though its less material.

color01
2010.01.22, 10:57 PM
That depends on the construction. The 3racing bulkheads have both plastic and carbon, and extra material added on to let you screw the carbon pieces on (and don't forget the extra screws!), so that's obviously going to be heavier than the stock plastic parts.

That said, the 3racing bulkheads are stiffer while retaining a plastic sleeve for suspension smoothness, so they're quite worth it -- Reflex's race-winning AWD's should be a good example.

GDBetter
2010.01.23, 10:43 AM
In my opinion carbon is lighter and more durable than any aloy or plastick but it costs double the price maybe more.

EMU
2010.01.23, 01:03 PM
The 3Racing setup is a little heavier than the plastic setup, but as Color0 pointed out, it is much smoother and stronger. The difference is possibly about 2g at most... I have had a lot of plastic covers crack on me, and it is difficult to notice at first, suspension binds up and you then have to replace it because of a tiny crack.

Action B
2010.01.23, 02:00 PM
The 3Racing setup is a little heavier than the plastic setup, but as Color0 pointed out, it is much smoother and stronger. The difference is possibly about 2g at most... I have had a lot of plastic covers crack on me, and it is difficult to notice at first, suspension binds up and you then have to replace it because of a tiny crack.

around 2 grams huh... hmm. I'll consider it. The PN alloy 98mm rear is really heavy. It has a carbon bottom plate but the differential mount is all alloy.

EMU
2010.01.23, 02:19 PM
I havent done any tuning on my 3Racing setup in months... Just tires. I have taken some big hits as well, and it is durable.