PDA

View Full Version : The Best MR-02 Body For Racing?

viperz55
2010.01.23, 07:33 PM
I have a MR-02 MM and i was wondering what the best body would be for racing. I want your opinion about how it performs rather than how it looks. Please tell me why you like that specific body in a post. I run a speedy 07 motor if that helps. :)

TheRinger
2010.01.23, 07:36 PM
Enzo or mclaren U can't go wrong with either 1.

blt456
2010.01.23, 07:39 PM
07 or 05 350z w/ 96mm h-plates from Reflex Racing.

boroEF
2010.01.23, 09:30 PM
I have a MR-02 MM and i was wondering what the best body would be for racing. I want your opinion about how it performs rather than how it looks, please. I run a speedy 07 motor if that helps. :)

depends what you are looking for. If you want something very planted and stable for highspeed swoopy tracks, the fxx is fantastic.

I have switched to a dbr9 recently and really love it. It handles very neutral and has much more aggressive turn in vs the fxx. It's good for tighter tracks and quick left/right transitions. The only thing with the dbr9 is that you have to ensure that you dont crash into an rcp rail with the front of the car...it may get stuck or snag due to the front splitter :)

arch2b
2010.01.23, 11:03 PM
this poll is completely subjective as driver preference and style will dictate which is best.

viperz55
2010.01.23, 11:30 PM
this poll is completely subjective as driver preference and style will dictate which is best.

Yes, I know preferance will vary with style, but I want to know which one most people prefer so that i can try that one out. To really know which one would be best for me i would have to buy every single body, but that's not really an option. :p

arch2b
2010.01.23, 11:48 PM
you are very much correct, it's much easier to poll for popular choice than testing them all :)

my personal favorites have been;
ferrari 360 gtc
ferrari 575 gtc
nissan gt-r r35 gt500

LED
2010.01.24, 01:03 AM
lambo murc

EMU
2010.01.24, 01:50 AM
For a novice - intermediate driver, the Aston Martin would be the best choice. Stable, easy to setup, good corner speed... Removing the front splitter entirely makes it perform very well on the boards. Also removing the rear diffusor helps a little when running the body low.

The McLaren GTR, Murcielago, FXX, Enzo, and GTR are all very good, stable and easy to setup cars. They are all 98mm, and all have a bit of weight to them, so they arent very edgy, and will provide more consistant laps, which is the most important thing to look for with novice/intermediate driving. Make sure that you like the way the car looks, as this is something that you have to look at... You dont want to drive something you dont think looks good. I drive better when I drive I like the sight of :)

If you are more advanced in driving, or with a slower motor (70t) at 98mm, I like the McLaren F1 LM, McLaren SLR (if you can find one). Lighter bodies, with low overhangs work well.

What surface do you plan to race on? How much experience do you have with RC cars? Do you plan to race with other people?

What each body does most, is change the weight distribution of the car. The overhangs and CG that the body has relative to other bodies changes the weight distribution. A body with a lot of weight in the rear is going to rotate the car more when decelerating into a corner, and rotate less when accelerating in the corner. A car with little weight in the rear will rotate less when decelerating, but will rotate more when accelerating.

A long front nose will reduce the turn in of the car, since there is more mass in front of the front axles. A short overhang will make the car more responsive. Cab location plays a part as well. Cab forward designs tend to be a little more aggressive. Cab rear bodies tend to be less agressive, and have to turn in at a slightly lower speed.... This probably has more to due with the thicker plastic on the windows and around them...

When I choose a body, I have to decide what are the class limitations. Modified class, I prefer a body that has more grip/stability. More cab rear, or decent rear overhang. More width helps as well. Stock classes I like smaller, lighter bodies that are a little more aggressive with as little overhang past the axles. CG I determine by the grip of the track. High grip, you want as low CG as you can get. Low grip, you can increase the CG of the car to give more steering mid corner... The higher CG gives more body roll, which loads the suspension a little more, giving a little more steering. Using bodies with higher CG I would not recommend for a beginner driver.

Traveler
2010.01.24, 07:47 AM
EMU - very helpful info.

Viperz - FWIW I started racing an Enzo. Good looking, low, wide and long. My next (and current) race body is an 05 350Z. Good looking, not as low, wide or long. Running it at 96mm and love it.

viperz55
2010.01.24, 12:45 PM
For a novice - intermediate driver, the Aston Martin would be the best choice. Stable, easy to setup, good corner speed... Removing the front splitter entirely makes it perform very well on the boards. Also removing the rear diffusor helps a little when running the body low.

The McLaren GTR, Murcielago, FXX, Enzo, and GTR are all very good, stable and easy to setup cars. They are all 98mm, and all have a bit of weight to them, so they arent very edgy, and will provide more consistant laps, which is the most important thing to look for with novice/intermediate driving. Make sure that you like the way the car looks, as this is something that you have to look at... You dont want to drive something you dont think looks good. I drive better when I drive I like the sight of :)

If you are more advanced in driving, or with a slower motor (70t) at 98mm, I like the McLaren F1 LM, McLaren SLR (if you can find one). Lighter bodies, with low overhangs work well.

What surface do you plan to race on? How much experience do you have with RC cars? Do you plan to race with other people?

What each body does most, is change the weight distribution of the car. The overhangs and CG that the body has relative to other bodies changes the weight distribution. A body with a lot of weight in the rear is going to rotate the car more when decelerating into a corner, and rotate less when accelerating in the corner. A car with little weight in the rear will rotate less when decelerating, but will rotate more when accelerating.

A long front nose will reduce the turn in of the car, since there is more mass in front of the front axles. A short overhang will make the car more responsive. Cab location plays a part as well. Cab forward designs tend to be a little more aggressive. Cab rear bodies tend to be less agressive, and have to turn in at a slightly lower speed.... This probably has more to due with the thicker plastic on the windows and around them...

When I choose a body, I have to decide what are the class limitations. Modified class, I prefer a body that has more grip/stability. More cab rear, or decent rear overhang. More width helps as well. Stock classes I like smaller, lighter bodies that are a little more aggressive with as little overhang past the axles. CG I determine by the grip of the track. High grip, you want as low CG as you can get. Low grip, you can increase the CG of the car to give more steering mid corner... The higher CG gives more body roll, which loads the suspension a little more, giving a little more steering. Using bodies with higher CG I would not recommend for a beginner driver.

Thank you very much for the response, EMU! :D I race mini z's with a speedy 07 motor. I used to go mini z racing every wednesday at my local hobby town for about a year or two. I would consider myself more of an intermediate driver.

color01
2010.01.24, 04:10 PM
The 2007 GT500 350Z is a good body to start out with -- you can run it in 94, 96 or 98mm configurations and it works well in all of them (lengthen the wheelbase for faster layouts, and vice versa). It's just about right in the weight department too (mid 30's grams) so you get a balance of stability and agility.

lfisminiz
2010.01.24, 05:39 PM
The F430/360 GTC series have always been a favorite body for me and at alot of bigger races for the pros.

arch2b
2010.01.24, 06:05 PM
to clarify your poll, what skylines are you referring to? could be r32, r34 or r35.

EMU
2010.01.24, 06:16 PM
If you get a 94mm motormount, it opens the door to both 94 and 98mm bodies...

The f430GT, 360GTC, Corvette C5R and Lexus SC430 are VERY popular 94mm bodies for a reason... They are relatively low, but have enough CG to give good rotation on low grip tracks. Low overhangs (shave off the front lips), and can take a lot of abuse. Find something you like first, and then work from there. There really are not many poor bodies, or one body that is leaps and bounds better than another. Driving style should dictate the body choice more than anything else. Even then, setup has a lot to do with how the car works. A setup for one body, will not work the same for a different body...

I usually get my car setup to the point that it works well with a neutral handling body (C5R is a perfect example). If I need to be more aggressive, I can swap the body to an 36GTC or 350Z 07... If I want it less aggressive, then I can go with a Ferrari 575GTC or Lexus SC430...

Tjay
2010.01.25, 01:56 PM
Body is definitely drivers preference but before seeing the results I knew F430 and F360 would be on top and SC430 won't even be close to them but didn't expect it to be about the same.

Most of the fast drivers runs Ferrari 360/430... I (again) have tried setting up a F430 but just cannot drive it the Way I would on my SC430. It is definitely a fast body, Ferrari.

dvsstrike
2010.01.25, 06:19 PM
98mm gt500 gtr
94-96mm 350z or nsx or ferrari 360/430

viperz55
2010.01.25, 06:34 PM
Right now I am thinking either the 360 GTC, the Mclaren F1, or the Lexus SC430. For those of you who have tried all of those, how do they compare?

Other options i might get are the murcielago, the DB9, or the 350z, so if you think any of those are the best, please tell me your opinion. :)

lfisminiz
2010.01.25, 07:07 PM
You know what i say...........get them all;). You wont go wrong.:)

EMU
2010.01.25, 07:51 PM
What body are you using now, and what do you want to change by using a new body?

machgo5go
2010.01.28, 08:03 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZMotulAutechGT-R2008PNRac.jpg
I am sticking to this since it is my 1st. novice racer but found out after the heats, got to trim off the bumper since it was getting caught on the foam rail dividers.

MantisMMA
2010.01.28, 09:35 AM
cut the bottom section off of the rear bumper and the car will rotate better!

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx341/muscletexx/30d47aaf.jpg

viperz55
2010.01.28, 01:04 PM
What body are you using now, and what do you want to change by using a new body?

I have a Mclaren F1 LM. I like it OK right now, but i wanted to see what other people are driving and what they prefer.

How do other bodies compare to it? What bodies do you find you use the most in stock mini z races on a small RCP track with tight corners?

color01
2010.01.29, 07:03 AM
I see SC430's with ridiculous frequency -- it's an extremely versatile body unless you somehow really can't find any traction.

I bought an F430 GT to try out, I rarely see them in Northern California but they win races around the globe, so I'm curious. The next time I go to the track I'll be sure to log down the differences between the F430 and the SC. :)

lfisminiz
2010.01.29, 04:00 PM
color - you should get more front bite.

machgo5go
2010.01.31, 01:56 AM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh123/machgo5go/KyoshoMiniZGulfMclarenF1GTR003Large.jpg
Well after my 2nd. time racing, my beloved Nissan 08 GT500 GTR body from my 1st. post was done!:(
Front chassis slot was cracked off from 2nd qualifying heat.
Hobby shop owner recommend of course street form Lambo or Ferrari F430 and I know it is good pro choice but just too many racer at the shop has it. I always dare to be different & makes thing difficult so next in line was Mclaren F1 Gulf GTR with narrower offset wheels. In desperation to make it for B Main heat to set up this body & wheel, I was surprisingly found out it make my car much improvement in handling. It actual shave off .7 sec in my best overall lap time & I am so far satisfy since it brought me 2nd place this time from 3rd place of last weekend.:D

lithium
2010.01.31, 03:30 AM
1 MAZDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

2 mc laren

mleemor60
2010.01.31, 07:59 AM
The little Mac as we call them is a terrific race body. The single biggest issue is it is so lite weight that it has a difficult time winning a fight. In a collision it will usually lose out to the heavier bodied cars.

Felix2010
2010.01.31, 10:00 AM
I have gone back to running the Enzo. Both for MR02/MR03 and AWD:D It can be really fast with hot motors, and I like running faster motors personally... So the wider, more-stable bodies I have been falling-back on.