PDA

View Full Version : I've been robbed!

Action B
2010.01.25, 11:22 PM
Just checked my account and a bunch of transactions have been made in the UK mounting up to over $1,200!

Needless to say I feel kinda sick.

I contacted my bank immediately and made a claim about the pending fraudulent charges. The charges were all made on the 24th and 25th. I made the claim on the 25th before they even cleared. I hope this turns out alright. I can hardly afford this hobby as it is! That money was saved for me to return to school...

Anyways, I just wanted to tell someone about my misfortune....

EMU
2010.01.25, 11:33 PM
I got hit twice last year, once for $496, another time for $325... Seperate occasions, I contacted the bank before the transactions cleared both times. They couldnt do anything until it cleared, but everything worked out for me. After the second one, I had all of my account info changed, just as a safety precaution.

I now check my account information every night, just to make sure that nothing has been false charged to the account.

It makes you feel very violated. Hope everything works out for you.

Action B
2010.01.26, 12:55 AM
I hope I can get my money back... I wonder if the purchases were made online or in person.

Anyhow, I still have my card so how did they get my number? Its stupid!

EMU
2010.01.26, 01:18 AM
I wondered the same thing, one of my charges was from Western Union, the other, a no-name website, that was a known scam subsciption purchase. I also had a couple small sub $30 false purchases by online services, they hope to fly under the radar, since they are small... hoping that people dont want to deal with the hassle of the banks fraud department.

That is why as soon as I even see one false charge, I request a new CC#. Who knows where they get them, I just want to try to stay ahead of the curve... People get them in many ways, I allways try to pay for things with Paypal rather than give my CC info if I have an option. I have never been screwed with Paypal, despite the many spam mails that I get of people fishing for my account info. I never trust what is written in those emails, or click links in them. I log onto the account and check for these important messages, that are never there...

I went to one of the fake Paypal sites at work once, and all of the links on the page besides the field that they wanted you to go to, all redirected you back to that page. I thought it was very funny... Especially since you can see what the url is on the bottom of the browser (Firefox).

Action B
2010.01.26, 02:37 AM
Whoever took my card info was not trying to stay under the radar at all. They purchased a 900 dollar item from a computer company! Along with several other multi-hundred dollar transactions! Its all of my money I've worked hard saving so that I can pay for my education! Man this stuff stresses me out. I cant sleep tonight its 3:39AM my time.

herman
2010.01.26, 03:05 AM
dang... what did the credit card company say? hope all works out for you

mk2kompressor
2010.01.26, 03:14 AM
action,it will be the card numbers,we have chip and pin here that they cannot copy or make a fake card.
its usually the card gets copied here (uk) and ends up as a clone in a country that doesnt have chip and pin:(

was the fraud with overclockers or something like that?

Action B
2010.01.26, 03:40 AM
action,it will be the card numbers,we have chip and pin here that they cannot copy or make a fake card.
its usually the card gets copied here (uk) and ends up as a clone in a country that doesnt have chip and pin:(

was the fraud with overclockers or something like that?

Charges were from purchases I did not make at the following:

National express (birmingham)

Myfax?

Lenovo technology (Basingstode)

Thats it, but they made multiple at National express and myfax and a huge one from Lenovo technology!

I do not believe that they had my PIN.

kryten
2010.01.26, 04:02 AM
Good luck getting your money back. :)

addicted
2010.01.26, 04:10 AM
so by the looks of it they used it for a train or a bus journey, and then bought some sort of computer! thieving $(* to be honest, and i hope you get your money back! :)

Sinister_Y
2010.01.26, 07:11 AM
no worries.

The bank is covered by an insurance plan. All you will need to do is sign some papers saying it wasn't you and have it endorsed/stamped by a commissionaire or other authorized signatory. That last step can cost up to $50 though... (to get some someone to stamp it/sign it).

Also, this may take up to 2 weeks to resolve, i.e. get your money back.

Good luck.

hrdrvr
2010.01.26, 07:36 AM
Good luck Brandon! I hate to hear this for you :( I am confident that the bank will get you straight though. This isnt an uncommon occurence (sadly enough) these days, and the banks take steps in place to take care of victims of the situation.

Action B
2010.01.26, 08:07 AM
Good luck Brandon! I hate to hear this for you :( I am confident that the bank will get you straight though. This isnt an uncommon occurence (sadly enough) these days, and the banks take steps in place to take care of victims of the situation.

Well sad thing is, I dont have ANY money to come and race this weekend. I was considering taking Maya's car down becuase the event was looking like a hard one to pass up.

I hope the bank will straighten me out. ****, I'll pay the $50 with no complaints at this point! Wonder if the purchases were made online or with a duped card?

At least they were unable to WITHDRAW any money, they were all payments made without a PIN.

paul_england
2010.01.26, 08:24 AM
Yeah like MK2 said, its usually people in the UK being scammed by other countries, not this way round :S
Im surprised they had the nerve to use it even for a bus/train journey!
I would have thought credit card companies would have an option of a system to stop payments being made in other countries.
anyway hope you get your money back!

Also, i would get in contact with levano technology, as they may be able to help find out who did it. Maybe if they were stupid they would have given them their address :P

mleemor60
2010.01.26, 08:27 AM
Brandon check a post you made on the HKS thread some time ago. It was post #44. Good luck with this. If you talk to Stallings tell him to get in touch with me. Soon.

Action B
2010.01.26, 08:58 AM
Brandon check a post you made on the HKS thread some time ago. It was post #44. Good luck with this. If you talk to Stallings tell him to get in touch with me. Soon.

Yes, Mike. I still agree with that post. I feel like your trying to hand me an "I told you so". Someone got my information from my credit card. This means that they had the security code on the back and everything. You are going to tell me you don't purchase anything online? This is probably how my card was compromised. I know most of us here don't have Mini-Z at the local hobby shop so we are all forced to pay online. I certainly would not post personal check card numbers publically! I use only premium antivirus protection and have alerts setup from my online banking account to help me monitor this type of activity. There is nothing else I could have done OTHER than NOT use my credit card for online to purchase. Lets face it, thats not going to happen. Enforce that one and we wouldn't have Mini-Z racing very often here in the US!

Furthermore I just spoke with the bank and they said I have zero liability and all the money will be returned without a question I did not authorize the transactions.

So essentially I'm all good! I won't feel a hundred percent good until the money is back in my account.

Action B
2010.01.26, 09:03 AM
Yeah like MK2 said, its usually people in the UK being scammed by other countries, not this way round :S
Im surprised they had the nerve to use it even for a bus/train journey!
I would have thought credit card companies would have an option of a system to stop payments being made in other countries.
anyway hope you get your money back!

Also, i would get in contact with levano technology, as they may be able to help find out who did it. Maybe if they were stupid they would have given them their address :P

The bank said that ultimately the company is liable for the charges. To use checkcards securely and be protected from fraud they must not ship to any address other than the billing address. Of course, if they did ship to MY billing address that would be really dumb and I'd have to ship it back to get my money back. Many companies just take these fraudulent charges because the amount of money they make my streamlining checkout processes and allowing shipping to addresses other than the billing address simply makes WAY more money than a few fraudulent charges.

mk2kompressor
2010.01.26, 10:01 AM
the bank refund you and then chargeback the companies involved.
its their fault for not checking the delivery address not the billing address as the fraudster will have your billing address anyway.
also the smaller ticket transaction will be a test to check they had the correct numbers before making a larger purchase.
those companies are new to me,some of the time the clever fraudster will make a false company,run the card details,bank the money and disappear.

this kind of fraud usually comes from a shops online server being hacked or you make a telephone order where the clerk writes down the number,processes your order then throws the paper (with your details on it) in the bin.

im not a fraudster i used to work for a bank catching the @@$@!$uckers;)

Action B
2010.01.26, 10:16 AM
the bank refund you and then chargeback the companies involved.
its their fault for not checking the delivery address not the billing address as the fraudster will have your billing address anyway.
also the smaller ticket transaction will be a test to check they had the correct numbers before making a larger purchase.
those companies are new to me,some of the time the clever fraudster will make a false company,run the card details,bank the money and disappear.

this kind of fraud usually comes from a shops online server being hacked or you make a telephone order where the clerk writes down the number,processes your order then throws the paper (with your details on it) in the bin.

im not a fraudster i used to work for a bank catching the @@$@!$uckers;)

I don't use my card over the phone. I think someones server was compromised. I have norton 360 on my computer and it detects phishing. Also, I use Firefox as well for added protection. What happens in the case of someone making a "fake business". This clearly didn't happen to me but is the accountholder still covered under the zero liability due to fraudulent transactions?

mk2kompressor
2010.01.26, 10:37 AM
you will still be covered (if the banks there run by the same rules),you should only have problems if you give the card and pin to someone and they can prove it.
the over the phone part still goes with some online companies,if the payment system is not automated,someone still has to take the details and enter them into the payment machine:(

a complete case from start to finish should take no more than 30 days.
each bank gives itself a set of timescales to run with,your bank should be able to give you a turnaround time

Action B
2010.01.26, 11:52 AM
you will still be covered (if the banks there run by the same rules),you should only have problems if you give the card and pin to someone and they can prove it.
the over the phone part still goes with some online companies,if the payment system is not automated,someone still has to take the details and enter them into the payment machine:(

a complete case from start to finish should take no more than 30 days.
each bank gives itself a set of timescales to run with,your bank should be able to give you a turnaround time

My bank promised a reimbursement within 72 hours of the fraudulent transaction clearing my account. I'll let you know if they live up to that.

arch2b
2010.01.26, 08:19 PM
credit card fraud can happen any one of hundreds of ways. from card scanners at restaurants, fake atm scanners, email hacks, etc. it literally could be anything.

advising someone to avoid online purchases is well, just plain silly. it's like saying, don't use plastic, just cash. in todays market, thats just hard to do. for one, i refuse to carry cash more than to buy lunch or dinner. just take reasonable precautions and your banking institution should take care of you. iv'e made thousands of online purchases for over 10 years now and have never had a problem thankfully.

make sure you change passwords and or account numbers as necessary. sorry to hear you got hit and i hope you get your money back quickly.

always keep tabs on your accounts, that was good advice. my wife checks nightly.

J-Milz
2010.01.26, 11:25 PM
Its funny, because this just happened to me for $85 for an overseas pay phone corp. Chase is a great bank to deal with, from my personal experience.
Trust me I see it all of the time. The only professional advice is to use one particular card for online transactions. Preferably a card w/ a low limit or a debit card that is not holding your mega millions.
You can add fraud protection tools such as instant email notifications, set limits and credit guard for major purchases. I also ditch my card after 4 or 5 months so that my card numbers change periodically.

marc
2010.02.02, 11:15 AM
All the reason why I no longer connect my bank account to PayPal. I check my account's often and the second I see something I don't recognize, I call my bank. I have one bank that I go to when I need to do a transaction and I've got two great people who know me very well at that one particular bank and both have been very helpful.
Only thing connected to PayPal is CC card and that is for small transactions and/or to be "confirmed". I also check my PayPal account as well for transactions. Luckily for me, my CC is very, very limited anyway so big transactions just won't happen. :D
Good luck and let's hope you get your money back!

arch2b
2010.02.02, 11:24 AM
very good point, never connect paypal to your primary anything account. you will be excluded from some ebay auctions but it's worth it.

B-main
2010.02.02, 11:53 AM
for online transactions i have a prepay visa .i only put the amount im going to spend .so if any one steals my info .they cant get crap . ive had my paypal info stole 3 time .so i dont use it any more .