PDA

View Full Version : MR03 Ball Joints

ShortBus
2010.02.04, 01:14 PM
Are the kingpin ball joints supposed to flop around freely or have a slight tension to them?

skyler
2010.02.04, 02:10 PM
Are the kingpin ball joints supposed to flop around freely or have a slight tension to them?With the hole of the ball in a vertical position put the kingpin all the wy into the ball then release it. It should fall out quickly by it's own weight. If it doesn't, it's too tight. On the other hand, you want it to have as little wobble as possible. You are better off with too loose than too tight.

ocean rodeo
2010.02.23, 04:35 PM
Are the kingpin ball joints supposed to flop around freely or have a slight tension to them?

They are supposed to move"flop" freely. If there was tension it will cause bind. On mine you can spin them around

Rune
2010.03.09, 08:06 AM
The mold are quite different from car to car.
I have some bottom plates that needed a lot of polishing before they were free enough, and a couple that were almost to free out of the box.

The Atomic lower arm mount seem to be very precise. at least mine were perfect when i got it. I have yet to hear from anyone else with these mounts, so time will tell if this is correct.

Take your time to make sure everything is smooth. This is absolutely worth the time spendt.

SuperFly
2018.12.15, 01:23 PM
The mold are quite different from car to car.
I have some bottom plates that needed a lot of polishing before they were free enough, and a couple that were almost to free out of the box.

The Atomic lower arm mount seem to be very precise. at least mine were perfect when i got it. I have yet to hear from anyone else with these mounts, so time will tell if this is correct.

Take your time to make sure everything is smooth. This is absolutely worth the time spendt.

Thread necromancy.

How does one polish the ball sockets on a lower plate? Or, how does one polish the ball at the end of a kingpin sufficiently without scuffing up the kinpin shaft by putting it in a Dremel chuck?

I have one of the hardened arm sets that comes with a hardened bottom plate, and one of the kingpins moves, but not super freely.

Things I've already tried:
- metal polish on ball end
-put rubbing compound inside ball joint, put the ball-end in and worked it around
-lubrication in ball joint.

I'm afraid of scuffing either the kingpin shaft or the ball socket interior.

EMU
2018.12.15, 03:47 PM
Is there legal to metal contact between the kingpin and the arm?

If it's just a ball you want to free up, you can put a long screw in and thread a nut to retain it. Then chuck the dremel to that...

I would prefer to work with a hand drill chucked to the actual ball, or a spare kingpin with ball.

Work it in small increments, you don't want much heat.

SuperFly
2018.12.15, 06:59 PM
If it's just a ball you want to free up, you can put a long screw in and thread a nut to retain it. Then chuck the dremel to that...

This might work. What does one use for an abrasive? a rubbing compound, or a metal/plastic polish?

EMU
2018.12.15, 07:05 PM
A little toothpaste could work if you dont have a metal polish handy. Just be sure to clean up well.

What front end are you working with that has stiff balls? I havent had any that I had needed to free up much beyond hand work.

Do you have other balls that you could try? If its a metal ball in a metal arm, that is not recommended, it should always be a plastic ball in a metal arm, or a metal ball in a plastic arm (delrin in plastic is fine too).

SuperFly
2018.12.15, 07:10 PM
The bottom plate and the arms are Kyosho MZW433, it's a harder, stiffer compound than the stock plastic. The kinpins look like either titanium or a teflon-coated metal, don't look like stainless. The balls float freely in the arm sockets, it's just the kingpin ball on one side in the bottom plate that's problematic.

EMU
2018.12.15, 08:28 PM
Snap a stock kingpin in its place, see if it's free. If it is, then swap sides of the fluorine coated kingpins and see if it's a ball issue or a socket issue. If it's a socket issue, then you can chuck the stock kingpin in a dremel and use only the lowest speed with some toothpaste. No more than 5 second intervals, you don't want to heat the plastic so that it melts, which then you will mess up the socket (I speak from experience). Keep it slow, and take your time. Let the socket cool substantially. When it feels almost free, clean it out and test the fluorine kingpin.

You don't want to get polish on the coated kingpin.