PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Blizzard 2010

arch2b
2010.02.06, 11:50 AM
Well, predictions have been spot on so far. We have over 12" since yesterday afternoon.

Unfortunately I can't upload pics from my iPhone.

We lost power late last as well, hope it will be fixed today. It's already damn cold in the house.

Action B
2010.02.06, 01:13 PM
Well, predictions have been spot on so far. We have over 12" since yesterday afternoon.

Unfortunately I can't upload pics from my iPhone.

We lost power late last as well, hope it will be fixed today. It's already damn cold in the house.

Maybe you got it worse, I find that the december snow was nearly the same. This is just about 3-5 inches more.

Its just been constantly snowing, no aggressive winds or complete snow downpours really hurting visibility.

arch2b
2010.02.06, 04:25 PM
Snow finally stopped here. Easily close to 24"+\-. The county snow patrol went by the neighborhood with a cat front end loader.

Still now power since about 2am.

jeremym
2010.02.06, 07:17 PM
I think we got around 30" or more. I spent about 2 hours shoveling the driveway while my neighbor used this snow plow doing his.

arch2b
2010.02.06, 07:28 PM
Still no power, pepco says it could be several days :(. It's going to cold house

jeremym
2010.02.06, 07:30 PM
Still no power, pepco says it could be several days :(. It's going to cold house

That sux. We kept power all day but had no internet. I cant imagine no power and no heat. And it sux that you cant even drive to a friends because the roads are im sure terrible.

NismoG20T
2010.02.07, 01:31 AM
pictures of the snow please!

NYC only got .5-1" here. I expected more than that...

arch2b
2010.02.07, 04:39 AM
Can't upload pics from iPhone which my only connection to the outside.

Power out for 28 hours now. 48 in the house.

jeremym
2010.02.07, 08:10 AM
Here are some from my phone....

arch2b
2010.02.07, 08:49 AM
32 hours, power now back on! Keeps going on and off but that's better than nothing at all. I'll upload pictures.

arch2b
2010.02.07, 09:14 AM
here are some pictures i took when the snow was winding down and the CAT was plowing our street, not that i could get to the street, but at least they plowed our street.

Draconious
2010.02.07, 10:05 AM
If that happened here, there wouldnt be any virgin snow left, it would all be snow mobile trails lol.....

We have hardly gotten any snow this or the past few years... You got it all.

arch2b
2010.02.07, 10:19 AM
it happens here maybe once a decade. simply put, our area is not equipped to handle this type of event. i listened to news reports friday and specifically recall an interview with one of the power companies public relations persons who emphatically stated they did not expect any major power outages as a result of this storm. i bet that person feels like an ass right about now. there were over 200k alone in my county that lost power.

i'm just hoping they have the metro system back up and running above ground monday. if not i'll have to use a sick day and stay home. people here can tell you, when it rains heavy or snows, the people around here freak out and drive like absolute nuts. it's actually quite pathetic just how bad the news over hypes these events as catastrophic in our area. you would think all hell broke loose. those of you in in michigan and a couple states north of us must be getting a good chuckle as us and the news coming out of this area.

jeremym
2010.02.07, 10:23 AM
people here can tell you, when it rains heavy or snows, the people around here freak out and drive like absolute nuts. it's actually quite pathetic just how bad the news over hypes these events as catastrophic in our area. you would think all hell broke loose.

True statement!! You would have thought the world was ending with how busy the grocery stores and walmart were on Thursday and Friday.

The driving here is terrible. The only place ive ever been that has worse driving than here is Naples, Italy. The DC/MD/VA area is a very close second.

Draconious
2010.02.07, 10:27 AM
A little bit of a laugh, but we have not had more than 4 or 5 inches on the ground in one dump, in lower-lower michigan for quite a few years. So that is a LOT of snow...

Ice has been a bit of a factor here since it is also raining now and then... A few nights ago I had to run to get cat food to shut my cat up so I could sleep... and I had no choice but to drift my pickup truck (ford Lightning) around corners or I could not get it to turn at all lol... since it would not stop! ...even going 5mph I could not stop to turn onto my own street or driveway! I had to use the rear tire spin like a hovercraft thruster. So.. driving nuts.. yea... not me ;)

Felix2010
2010.02.07, 10:30 AM
Very nice looking neighborhood arch...:D

arch2b
2010.02.09, 11:54 AM
looks nice but the people for the most part suck. i'm a blue collar worked in a white collar neighborhood. needless to say i don't get along with many of them well. we have an HOA from hell to top it off, a bunch of people that know zip about building or architecture for that matter with god complexes and social status agendas. i tried making a positive influence considering i'm an architect but the night i spent an hour arguing over their precieved meaning of square or rounded curves in a sidewalk pushed me over the edge.

round 2 of snow comes today, not looking forward to that. since metro service to the suburbs is still closed i'm still home. i took the time to stack some firewood in the garage this time just in case i have to burn wood to keep the house from freezing again in a power outage. with my luck metro won't open above ground stations for the rest of the week. i'm sure my office isn't going to be happy about that. i'm not taking our only car into the city though leaving my wife and kids at home with no car. the price i pay for being the only employee not living in the city or just outside the city i guess.

B-main
2010.02.09, 01:32 PM
im glad i live less than 200 yards from the beach .were in the coldest days of winter it you mite see it dip under 40

hilldebrandt
2010.02.10, 12:21 PM
As of noon today, we have 13 inches and counting at my place just north of Reading, PA.
We had 14 inches on Saturday, but this go 'round we'll probably get closer to 16-18 inches....

Let it snow...let it snow...let it snow...LOL

arch2b
2010.02.10, 12:34 PM
white out here. we have at least another 8 inches so far. metro closed again so i have not been to work at all this week. i almost rather be at work than snowed in for the rest of the week.

Action B
2010.02.10, 06:30 PM
white out here. we have at least another 8 inches so far. metro closed again so i have not been to work at all this week. i almost rather be at work than snowed in for the rest of the week.

Well, you can get some time on the track. Me any Maya have been drifting on the hard wood floors in her house lol.

RCPMini-z
2010.02.10, 06:56 PM
Tomorrow's expected to be in the mid 70's here. Can't beat that California weather.

I feel for the east coast folks. Must be miserable.

arch2b
2010.02.10, 08:12 PM
it's not so bad. i love snow but i hate being cooped up for days on end. i've had all this time off work (comes out of my vacation days) which is nice but at the same time bad. as soon as i get back i'm going to have twice the work to do to catch up. deadlines don't change because of weather...

lfisminiz
2010.02.10, 10:10 PM
Ray.........cooped up, snowed in.......:eek::confused:, thats what your Z hobby lives for.....days like this.;) Heres my day off..................

Mini-z
Snow blow
Mini-z
Snow blow
Mini-z
Snow blow again!:(:rolleyes::)

hilldebrandt
2010.02.10, 10:22 PM
Larry,
Hook up a plow to a Mini-Z Monster.....LOL

lfisminiz
2010.02.10, 10:29 PM
I had enough of snow blowing.............not enough of the Zs. Altho, the way the wind picked up, look out again tomorrow.:mad:

imxlr8ed
2010.02.11, 12:38 PM
I got stuck trying go DOWN my driveway yesterday morning... was out with the snoblower until 9pm last night. I passed a drift on Rt10 this morning that looked like a house was buried by the side of the road... I would've never thought the words "possible avalanche" would enter my mind during my commute but today is an exception. Some roads are one lane only still, some people love to make roadblocks with the snow from their driveways, and the semi that decided to park on Rt10 yesterday and is now plowed around.

My manager ran into this pack of critters just running free along Rt41 this morning on the way in, he didn't see a fox anywhere though:

jeremym
2010.02.11, 12:40 PM
A pic of my front yard post shoveling this morning...