PDA

View Full Version : Removing body clips?

ocean rodeo
2010.02.06, 04:51 PM
I just got my Mr-03 and the body sits unusually high, you can see the chassis when looking at it from the side. How do you pop the clips off without cracking them or the body?

B-main
2010.02.06, 05:28 PM
ca un-cure aka debonder

ocean rodeo
2010.02.06, 06:03 PM
Do you have a name? or better yet. A link?

B-main
2010.02.06, 06:45 PM
Do you have a name? or better yet. A link?

http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=debonder&x=0&y=0 there ya go

Traveler
2010.02.06, 08:20 PM
It may be the chassis is too high and not the body. Which body did you get with the 03?

ocean rodeo
2010.02.08, 04:11 PM
The Sauber.

EMU
2010.02.08, 05:10 PM
I have the same issue with my Sauber... Going to do the same process soon. I usually just remove it with a couple small flathead screwdrivers, however, the Sauber has the clips that have extra material on the bottom of the clip... which makes it difficult to get the tools in there. May have to get some CA debonder... and try. This will not hurt the plastic, will it?

ocean rodeo
2010.02.08, 05:14 PM
I have the same issue with my Sauber... Going to do the same process soon. I usually just remove it with a couple small flathead screwdrivers, however, the Sauber has the clips that have extra material on the bottom of the clip... which makes it difficult to get the tools in there. May have to get some CA debonder... and try. This will not hurt the plastic, will it?
Maybe it's just me but as soon as I started prying on them the clip split but didn't crack all the way.I just ordered some debonder too. It should't hurt the plastic:eek: but I am going to try it anyway. The body is beautiful but it sits way to high. On my other bodies the clips pop right off.

lfisminiz
2010.02.08, 10:34 PM
Ive been working on the Sauber too. I would recomend not to drop the body to low. I went lower and theres not much room underneath body. If i remember right, the spur actually hit the body. I ended up going back to almost the normal height. I ordered some debonder to. Im thinking maybe for now on.....bodies that i might want to lower, use a dab of ca glue or hot glue to test fit it, then do the major glue. I did some prying and breaking and re-gluing/hot glueing clips myself....its getting old.:p

ocean rodeo
2010.02.11, 09:46 PM
Well I got the debonder today and it does not work. Not only that but it removes paint too:eek:. It's very thin and it dripped out from under the clip and some way got on the outside of the body. When I tried to wipe it off the paint came off too:mad: I do not recommend this for asc bodies. It's just to thin to work with and you need to pretty much soak the area you want to debond and still nothing. Oh well.

chad508
2010.02.11, 10:07 PM
kyosho may not use ca to attach the clips, may be why it did not work.

lfisminiz
2010.02.11, 10:36 PM
Ocean - thanks for the heads up..........sorry you had to find out that way. Ill throw mine.

ocean rodeo
2010.02.12, 05:25 AM
kyosho may not use ca to attach the clips, may be why it did not work.
That was my first thought. I guess it was meant to be. I'll just leave it alone.

B-main
2010.02.18, 01:39 PM
put the debonder on a q tip and hold it to the top of the clip and let just a little little bit run down on the inside of the clip and then take a small flathead screw driver and pry it off.but let the debonder sit for 10 or so mins b4

Felix2010
2010.02.19, 10:04 AM
B-main posted some good advice. I can tell you guys from experience as well that CA-Debonder is nasty stuff - Like kryptonite to Autoscales and to paint too.:(
I have ruined quite a few bodies by removing/regluing body side clips and then trying to do it a second or third time. Sucks! The CA-Debonder can be of use if used sparingly. And you need to give it time to break-down the CA bond. But you have to watch close because the Debonder will dissolve the body material/plastic + clips too if left on too long. But if you're patient a little dab of debonder and a little prying with a flathead screwdriver can do the job. Try to limit the amount of times you re-set body clips, or you'll end up like me with melted clips and melted body sides that nothing will stick to. :(

I really wish Kyosho made replacement side body clips for each AutoScale like how they make replacement front body clips!!!:)

bermbuster
2010.02.19, 11:18 AM
B-main posted some good advice. I can tell you guys from experience as well that CA-Debonder is nasty stuff - Like kryptonite to Autoscales and to paint too.:(

But if you're patient a little dab of debonder and a little prying with a flathead screwdriver can do the job.

You can use a microbrush for the little dab......
they work awesome.....:D

http://www.microbrush.com/hobby/products/categories.asp?categID=8

when you want to reglue the clips use hot glue or shoe goo and you can get them off again without potenially ruining a body.

Pyrokorian
2010.02.19, 11:49 AM
Yeah, on my f430GT whitebody, the superglue I was using bonded the plastics, and when me and my friend tried to remove it with goof-off acetone, we cracked it off.

akura2
2010.03.07, 04:38 AM
Just bought my Sauber today... and it's just like everyone is saying.. the rear of the body is sitting way up on the air... WAY higher than the way it is in any of the photos... and high enough in the rear to make the nose drag and you can't drive the car

here's mine

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1518/img7506.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/img7506.jpg/)