PDA

View Full Version : Select racers screen?

pinwc4
2010.02.08, 05:27 PM
I was curious about how many people, if anybody, still selects racers on the Select Racers screen before starting a race? I know at my club we still do this for mains because I do not want the program to accidently miss adding someone at the beginning of the race. This is still what I have been recommending to other people.

I have spent time bug fixing and optimizing the program so at this point am Ijust overly paranoid? Does anyone still use the select racers screen or should I just remove it?

arch2b
2010.02.08, 07:56 PM
i don't use flipside for racing events just yet. i need race management with qualifying, mains setup before i do that.

so far i just use it for practice rounds and single race events and in all these instances, i use the auto load feature. i wouldn't use a select racer screen until race management is ready. for core, i load all racers from the racer menu vs. scanning them in. it's just so much quicker this way. it's a feature that i think should stay as i will be using it, just not right now.

pinwc4
2010.02.08, 08:57 PM
i don't use flipside for racing events just yet. i need race management with qualifying, mains setup before i do that.

so far i just use it for practice rounds and single race events and in all these instances, i use the auto load feature. i wouldn't use a select racer screen until race management is ready. for core, i load all racers from the racer menu vs. scanning them in. it's just so much quicker this way. it's a feature that i think should stay as i will be using it, just not right now.

Actually with the race management feature the select racers screen will not be used anyways, at least with the way I am writing it currently. The race management feature will feed the selection of racers to the program overriding any selection on that screen (probably just plain disable it for events that are "managed").

arch2b
2010.02.08, 09:39 PM
i would have to see examples of what your discussing because i don't follow right now. with managed events with core, i use the add racer menu vs. scan racer. this may or may not be what your explaining.

pinwc4
2010.02.08, 10:08 PM
i would have to see examples of what your discussing because i don't follow right now. with managed events with core, i use the add racer menu vs. scan racer. this may or may not be what your explaining.

That may be a similar distinction though to be honest I have not used the Core software in nearly 2 years and I never used the event management as it confused me so I just do it manually.

With my software there will be a separate screen for event management, on this screen you would select a race to run, say heat 2 for the mod class. That heat would have already had racers assigned to it based on your sorting method (though you will be able to tweak the sort but that would still be done in the event management). On the event management screen you would click a button saying load race which would then feed the racers and race settings to the main program. You would not manually select racers on the select racers screen.

Right now I am working on the event management being a separate program. I still debate on if that will remain the case but I like the added benefit of being able to manage the event without impacting a running race. Both programs can be running on the same computer or different computers. Plus then I can make it so that there can be multiple race computers reporting to a single event management computer for places that have more than 1 track.

Does that make sense?

The way you are currently using the program is probably how others are. They just do not use the Select Racers screen. I could be wrong which is why I posted to see how people use it.

arch2b
2010.02.08, 11:06 PM
yes, but to be specific, how do you intend to allow assigning racers to heats/qualifiers in the very begining of setting up an event? core allows 2 primary methods; 1. add racers from menu and 2. scan racers. this is where i use the add racers menu in race management. each season i dump the transponder data and rescan/tag everyone so picking tags out of a list is simple and quick. if a car doesn't count, they don't have the right transponder installed and puts the onus back on the racer to be prepared.

can you build in planning/setting up bump ups in mains in your race management?

i'm cool with this all being a separate program which would also allow for clubs/home owners to run the current version with clubs and shops the benefit of running the add on race management.

pinwc4
2010.02.08, 11:59 PM
yes, but to be specific, how do you intend to allow assigning racers to heats/qualifiers in the very begining of setting up an event? core allows 2 primary methods; 1. add racers from menu and 2. scan racers. this is where i use the add racers menu in race management. each season i dump the transponder data and rescan/tag everyone so picking tags out of a list is simple and quick. if a car doesn't count, they don't have the right transponder installed and puts the onus back on the racer to be prepared.

can you build in planning/setting up bump ups in mains in your race management?

i'm cool with this all being a separate program which would also allow for clubs/home owners to run the current version with clubs and shops the benefit of running the add on race management.

Assigning the racers at the very beginning of the event would still be done on the event management screen. You will add all the racers to the event/class and then let the program randomly sort them into heats (or manually sort them if you want). This will even mean you can start to set up your initial heats before people arrive. When you have your initial event and heats set up you would load a particular race which will feed the racer list back to lap counting program.

Yes, having the ability to enable or disable bump ups is a requirement for race management.

The more I think about this more I realize the select racers screen is irrelevant at this point. The only function it provides now that is required is the ability to change the text color for each slot that a racer can fill. Selecting racers ahead of time on this screen provides no added benefit over the auto add any more (unless you have a really slow computer but I have put quite a bit of effort into optimizing this and other parts of the program).

arch2b
2010.02.09, 01:04 AM
sounds that way. i never use that screen in the softwares current form.

briankstan
2010.02.09, 11:50 AM
I don't use the select racers screen at all. I love the autoload feature and that is what we use. We used it for a big event in Wyoming 20+ racer and running multiple classes. the only issue we had was with cars not being added were either poor transponder placement (F1) or a forgotten transponders.

the race management being a seperate program is an interesting idea. I don't have a problem with that at all. :)

BrianMidnight
2010.02.09, 05:16 PM
Only use the select racer screen for changing the dark colours, hope we'll still be able to do that? We use a projector screen and need a good contrast.

pinwc4
2010.02.09, 05:34 PM
Only use the select racer screen for changing the dark colours, hope we'll still be able to do that? We use a projector screen and need a good contrast.

Yes, you will still be able to do that. I experimented some about how I want to present changing those colors instead of using the slots on the select racers screen. I will end up making a listbox (like the tables on the statistics screen) with a row for each color, click the color to change it.

I am pretty certain I will be removing the select racer screen but I will be waiting until I get the theme stuff moved into the program. Then I will include setting the text colors into where I put the theme settings.

pinwc4
2010.02.15, 02:06 PM
OK, I have removed the select racers screen in the source code. Well, I have removed any buttons to it, some of the logic of the screen itself is still needed for internal processing.

The option to change slot colors has been moved to the General Config. screen.

Now this raises another question for me. Since the select racers screen became unnecessary does this also mean the "Auto Delete Racers" option is unnecessary. Does anyone not check that box or does everyone always use that feature?

If no one is manually selecting racers I do not see a reason to have the ability to disable the Auto Delete Racers feature.

What do you guys think?

BrianMidnight
2010.02.15, 02:43 PM
Haven't used that option so won't miss it.

pinwc4
2010.02.15, 03:06 PM
Haven't used that option so won't miss it.

So you do not have that option enabled? My question was more from the assumption that everyone was leaving that option enabled (checked).

If that option is not enabled it means unless you manually remove people from the select racers screen they would show up in the list of racers for the next race when it starts.

BrianMidnight
2010.02.15, 03:47 PM
you're right!!!!!!!!! I should be using it.... a lot of the time, racers from previous races got left on the screen, and thinking about it, when I rememberd to remove them it was from the select racer screen.

briankstan
2010.02.20, 06:24 PM
the auto add racer when checked removed the previous racers from the screen when you start the next race. then they are automatically added the first time they cross the loop.

I always use this feature? Not sure how the new race management feature will work but if this is not needed for that feature I would say that you wouldn't need the option and that it would be set by default.

Keep up the good work.

pinwc4
2010.02.20, 09:28 PM
the auto add racer when checked removed the previous racers from the screen when you start the next race. then they are automatically added the first time they cross the loop.

I always use this feature? Not sure how the new race management feature will work but if this is not needed for that feature I would say that you wouldn't need the option and that it would be set by default.

Keep up the good work.

That is exactly what I have done. In the next release the select racers screen will be gone along with the option for auto delete racers. The auto deletion will always be on for non-managed races.

When the race management stuff is complete there will be separate screens for managing that stuff, the select racers screen would not have been needed for it anyways.